Svataben

A marker/symbol to show described dragons

I think this would be very helpful! It's nice to read descriptions that I'm not having to critique for reviewing, so seeing which dragons on other scrolls are described would be handy. :3

This is something I really want. It would be helpful to the scroll owner because he could easily see which dragons are still waiting to be described, and it would be helpful to the scroll visitor because he could easily see which dragons have descriptions so he would be able to look at some.

Right now, I have most of my undescribed dragons at the top of my scroll so I know which are still waiting for descriptions, but this probably discourages anyone visiting my scroll from looking for descriptions because the first ones don't have descriptions.

Why even do descriptions, when the owners are the only ones able to find them? Of course, I do love to add the dimension of a description, but it would be much more satisfying if people could find them easily.

I love to read descriptions, even though I have not ventured into writing my own as of yet. I am quickly discouraged, though, by not being able to tell which, if any, of the dragons on a scroll I am visiting may have descriptions.

So I am in full support of some sort of marker to let us know which dragons have the added user-written description.

This seems like it would be super useful. One of my biggest issues with starting descriptions on my lineage project dragons is that it's so hard to tell what has a description and what doesn't. I have a hard enough time keeping things straight on my scroll without trying to keep track of which dragons I've described and which ones I haven't. I do love to read them, but I have similar issues on other scrolls, since I never want to just click my way through a scroll in order to find which ones have descriptions.

You've got my support! biggrin.gif I prefer the writing hand symbol: ✍

Like purplehaze, I've always loved reading others' descriptions but most users have hundreds to thousands of dragons and that makes it really difficult for me to browse through the ones that actually have descriptions. :/ I really think that this would come in handy.

I have a small update for this topic.

I've been personally speaking to TJ about some ideas/suggestions for the site and brought this one up.

He HAS agreed to implement this, so you WILL at some point be getting description markers. However, he hasn't given a time frame because he says he's not happy about the layout of the current icons/images on the scroll page and he wants to rearrange them. But as soon as the images are rearranged, he'll be adding a description marker.

No ETA as of yet.

Figured I'd bump this information to the last page. (Since it's from 2010, I have no idea how relevant it still is, mind. I imagine it's still true, though!)

Just thinking a little bit... while icon for described dragons is very neat suggestion, what about a page dedicated to those dragons as well? Maybe make it so that by scrollname, one can read others' descriptions.

Kinda like how some holiday pages show, but with dragcave.net/descriptions/username listing all descriptions. That way we could eliminate the scrolling, in case someone wants to go through all the descriptions of said scroll. It would be little less tedious than looking for just the icon among hundreds or thousands of dragons.

Just my tiny improvement and two cents.

I support! biggrin.gif I've described a few of my dragons, but I can't remember all of them. It'll also be nice if people can easily find my descriptions. I do want people to read them. x)

Support bump! Love the idea of it being one of the filters too.

I'm partial to this indicator,

But this , which seems to be popular, works quite nice!

Oh yes, this would be the greatest thing ever! I have over 1300 dragons and I've described many of the more special ones, but I'm only able to remember a few. I have all these described dragons and I never get to see their descriptions because I'm not going to click on 1300 pages to find a few paragraphs--to say nothing of finding other people's descriptions!

I vote for the paragraph symbol, personally. It's cleaner and more elegant, it's guaranteed to show in any font, and it has the added benefit of being educational--true, some people might not know what it means the first time they log onto the cave, but it's something that you have to learn for school anyway, so what's the harm in learning it from a game instead?

This is a wonderful idea! I'd love to see this. I think a quill-icon would look best given the nature of the site, but a little calligraphy pen also is cute. wub.gif

I am kinda bored and wanting to avoid adding many new dragons to my scroll. Going thru more of a cull/purge season. But gosh, if I could have markers for both pending and finished descriptions .... I would go on a description writing binge. I don't think I'm the only one.

So maybe if you release this taking Apps for official Description Helpers, if you were thinking of doing that TJ, would be a good thing to coincide.

Additionally, my reminders to resubmit my monthly donations come from one reminder, How actively I'm using the cave to notice the annoying ads are back enough to annoy me again To want to make them go away. I don't get that from IRC cuz there are no ads there. So it matters specifically how often I clicky clicky on different Cave pages to get that Pavlovian response. If I'm not hunting and not doing much else but a little auto abandoning breeding and/or giftings doesn't drive that home as much. Having people mass writing and reading doesn't have the load of graphical intensive parts but still creates much page movement and hopping.

I assume if I work that way, others do too. So I think this idea has more financial benefit assistance than other things you might do. So I'm not saying it should be more important than other ideas, but your time spent is directly paid for. And if not via donations then more ads viewed.

I am still very much in favor of this addition.

I used to write descriptions for all my dragons, separately on my personal computer, before descriptions were added to the site. I went on a description rampage when it became an official part of DC, adding in all the ones I had written (abridged, since our character limits were much smaller initially), but have since stopped writing them entirely because it's become too difficult to keep track of who I wrote for and who is waiting for approval and all.

I'd start back up again if it was easier to track things!

Yes, this is a good idea. I can see how it would be useful. I would enjoy going scroll sight-seeing more if points of interest like described dragons were marked.

Yes, this is a good idea. I can see how it would be useful. I would enjoy going scroll sight-seeing more if points of interest like described dragons were marked.

This. I don't write descriptions for my own dragons, but I love to read what others write. I would spend a lot more time visiting other scrolls if I could tell which dragons had descriptions. (On the other hand maybe that isn't such a good thing since I already waste waaaaay too much time on DC! xd.png )

I'd love to see a little symbol for described dragons! Both for ogling other scrolls and on my own, having a little symbol appear when a description finally gets approved...

This is my support here.

Personally, out of over 2,000 dragons I've only described a handful, and I can never remember which ones. I'd love to have an indicator that yes, I described that one! And seeing it on other scrolls would be nice too.

i like this maybe it could be a little book/scroll and quill symbol

Edited by blockEdragon

Yes, please - it would be super sweet to be able to tell which dragons are described so you can check out their backstories. I only have a handful described dragons and nobody who visits my scroll probably read their stories, because even if they had the desire to, it would take too much time to find them among thousands of undescribed dragons on my scroll. I would probably check out descriptions of dragons on other player's scrolls I visit if they had an indicator, maybe a small quill - having to look for them by clicking each sprite as we're left to do currently is too time consuming.

100% support. I recently had to hunt for some dragons of mine with descriptions.