HeatherMarie

Freezing Eggs

Instead of calling it freezing, how about hard boiling?

No! thats awful! Most of us DONT WANT them to die!

Um.. if your 'freeze' an egg, it won't be dead or alive. It'll just be an egg.

It can't hatch into a dragon, therefore it is not alive. But it won't rot and disappear from your cave after a while, therefore it is not dead.

It's just. An egg.

And I like the idea of freezing an egg. Tons of eggs are super pretty and I would love for them to stay in my cave like that.

Well, just say you have to freeze them before the egg starts to crack. Or before three days, even.

But I'm sick of all the fuss people are making about 'killing' the dragon. Like we're instating some kind of abortion option. There, I said it. People are treating this like an ABORTION option.

Abortion is when you drop and smash the egg. Or when Earthquake kills it or Bite kills it.

The egg won't be dead because of freezing. It'll just be... an egg. Like the Leetle Tree.

Edited by Harley Quinn hyenaholic

I don't like the idea of freezing, but I guess I would freeze if the dragon were going to be taken out of the game, that way I'd have a set to keep.

I do think it would be cute if the frozen egg or hatchie, were inside a little block of ice, that way someone new to the game would know for sure it was frozen.

Edited by GreenDragonMama

I don't know whether this has already been said, so I apologise if it has, but I am not sure that restricting it to caveborn eggs (as some people are suggesting) is particularly useful. Part of the beauty of freezing eggs is that it will make eggs a whole lot more desirable and help to free up the AP.

My opinion is that

people can have as many frozen eggs as they like, but it doesn't count toward the overall ratios

if you freeze an event dragon it shouldn't count towards your limit of that event

i have an adult yulebuck and a frozen hatchling, so ideally if this is put into place by next year, i would breed my adult and keep the one egg, and freeze it before it auto abandons

for new event dragons i could either breed for the egg or if i pick up 2 eggs and freeze one, then i should be allowed another egg

the frozen egg does not count to the overall population ratio of that species, and would work how if a dragon is killed it is replaced by another

if this idea doesn't work, then i still like the piecing it back together after the dragon has hatched, for piecing it back together

Edited by darkshadow5392

Um.. if your 'freeze' an egg, it won't be dead or alive. It'll just be an egg.

It can't hatch into a dragon, therefore it is not alive. But it won't rot and disappear from your cave after a while, therefore it is not dead.

It's just. An egg.

And I like the idea of freezing an egg. Tons of eggs are super pretty and I would love for them to stay in my cave like that.

In my opinion its the same as hatchlings. Their not dead, but there not doing anything else are there? Its only one step above dead egg, not several hundred. huh.gif

Exactly Geo. x3

I guess they become Fabergé eggs for your own cave? Not the opening kind, of course.

then don't eat chicken eggs

Eating eggs and freezing them with magic aren't the same thing.

-Eating eggs is part of nature, not every egg makes it predators need to eat and a helpless nest is a dead nest.

-Collecting eggs is not a normal part of nature and its something usually only humans do because the eggs are pretty/interesting.

The only time animal will collect eggs if the shell is empty or the egg never hatched. In which case it grew up or was dead/unfertilized to begin with. Adn even then only birds will collect things most of the time to attract a mate so the eggs are not completely useless. Its still putting the egg to use, we're not except to say "look at the pretty eggie!".

This doesn't match nature at all.

Well, just say you have to freeze them before the egg starts to crack. Or before three days, even.

But I'm sick of all the fuss people are making about 'killing' the dragon. Like we're instating some kind of abortion option. There, I said it. People are treating this like an ABORTION option.

Abortion is when you drop and smash the egg. Or when Earthquake kills it or Bite kills it.

The egg won't be dead because of freezing. It'll just be... an egg. Like the Leetle Tree.

No. Just.... no. This is hardly abortion, and I refuse to associate egg freezing with it.

And anyone who DOES is thinking way too much into it.

FYI, I think that freezing a whole bunch of 'unwanted' eggs would be very, very bad for the cave unless living eggs count as a living member of the breed. The cave would only produce even more of those eggs (or allow more of them produced in breeding) to balance out the ratios.

That said, I think that there should be an egg-freezing option, but that it should have limits.

1. in order to keep people from using it to avoid being scroll-locked, a frozen egg should behave like an egg that's been killed. It should count for an egg slot for 24 hours. This will encourage people who don't really want the egg to abandon it rather than freezing it for convenience.

2. I don't think it should be reversible. That holds the potential for abuse.

3. I think there should be a limit on how many frozen eggs of a particular breed there can be. If we look at this as sprite collecting, there isn't much reason to have, say, ten or twenty of one kind of frozen egg.

4. I would say it should be possible to freeze both cave-born and bred eggs.

Okay, my point is.

I believe people should be able to freeze eggs.

I would MUCH rather have someone freeze eggs than kill them. I don't think there should be any limit on how many you can have.

If you decide to freeze 100 CB golds, then yay you, you've just made yourself probably the best person at grabbing them.

I say let them decide for themselves what a limit is.

Either way, the people grabbing Golds and Silvers will still grab Golds and Silvers, if not to get them to freeze, then to make insane demands for trading them.

For real people, think about it. It's just another feature.

If I'm correct a frozen egg would be alive, because it's frozen, not dead.

I don't know if JT ever said if a frozen Hatchling was counted as the dragon population, nor if I'm correct did he ever say if The Wild counted either.

If we can't undo frozen hatchlings, why let us undo the eggs?

I don't believe in "Hoarding" on this game, because the whole point of it is hoarding.

We have to collect them all kind of idea. Grab as many of the ones as we like.

There are very few people willing to adopt eggs off the AP. Frozen eggs might help losen up the AP.

Also one more thing.

These are pixs, not living creatures.

Don't treat them like they are going to "Feel bad" if you freeze them.

They don't care if you name them poploptop.

Or some mean name that can get you off this website.

The whole point is, not alive.

If you were debating about a living creature, saving ANY REAL animal, I'd understand.

These are pixs, nothing more.

Sorry had to put in the hard reality check.

Edited by kitty41188123

In my opinion this would get used too often to clear the AP.

As you said "I would MUCH rather have someone freeze eggs than kill them." in other words you would like it as an alternative TO killing.

It should not be allowed to happen for this reason at all. huh.gif

Edited by Geobreeder

In my opinion this would get used too often to clear the AP.

As you said "I would MUCH rather have someone freeze eggs than kill them." in other words you would like it as an alternative TO killing.

It should not be allowed to happen for this reason at all. huh.gif

I don't freeze anything, but like I said.

I've seen my own hatchlings I've let go of, only to watch die, I'd rather have them frozen, people already do this with hatchlings, freeze one and then grab another one.

I'd say make there a certain amount of time before freezing it.

Like let's say, five day mark. Before that, yes it'd be crazy to let people freeze them.

I've more than once had a Newbie get one of my bred eggs, and kill it without figuring out that you still couldn't grab another egg.

Who decided we needed a "Kill" feature anyways?

freezing a egg would be nice but if tj puts it into the game, then people can use it to get unlocked i mean we have enough bsa`s and new dragons already so why use it? just so that you can get over the egg limit?

Edited by poppy97

I don't freeze anything, but like I said.

I've seen my own hatchlings I've let go of, only to watch die, I'd rather have them frozen, people already do this with hatchlings, freeze one and then grab another one.

I'd say make there a certain amount of time before freezing it.

Like let's say, five day mark. Before that, yes it'd be crazy to let people freeze them.

I've more than once had a Newbie get one of my bred eggs, and kill it without figuring out that you still couldn't grab another egg.

Who decided we needed a "Kill" feature anyways?

We've ALL seen that, your not alone.

The hatchlings can have description of who they are still which the eggs can't have. As for newbies, they learn or don't learn. Some players kill eggs they find inbred to prevent more inbreeding. I think with the freezing limit put in place, TJ is leaning towards us having to actually raise adults more.

Hatchlings also can be names, released to the wild if unwanted. Eggs can only be released for now to the AP and wild eggs have a chance to grow up if they end up there. And if you don't want the egg, best to encourage people to not kill, but rerelease back into the AP, not encourage them to find an alternative way of killing.

My opinion on some species like Golds, well nice you have those 100+ gold eggs, but their not breeding more and no one else can have them. Their sitting there and the only things you can do with them is hide and kill. Thats it. Nothing else. Nutta. Zero. And for every gold that get freezes, that one broken line that isn't allowing another user to have a gold.

And theres the case of the missed trades, wherein no AP teleport feature is here yet and someone intercepts a trade. Oh noes, freeze golden egg that you wanted to pass to another doing nothing.

And again, I see this causing annoyances to family wherein adult shave too many unnamed children, where you can find a way to contact a user and tell them to name a dorkface frozen hatchling... Even if you can't get them to name the egg even if you contact them.

Theres a whole heap of little problems with freezing.

freezing a egg would be nice but if tj puts it into the game, then people can use it to get unlocked i mean we have enough bsa`s and new dragons already so why use it? just so that you can get over the egg limit?

This doesn't make sense. If you didn't want to be scroll locked, you could just abandon the egg. Freezing the egg means that it's become null—it can't hatch, it can't crack, and it doesn't take up an egg slot because you don't have to take care of it. It wouldn't make sense to include that in the egg limit.

Edit to address Kitty's post before mine:

My opinion on some species like Golds, well nice you have those 100+ gold eggs, but their not breeding more and no one else can have them. Their sitting there and the only things you can do with them is hide and kill. Thats it. Nothing else. Nutta. Zero. And for every gold that get freezes, that one broken line that isn't allowing another user to have a gold.

If freezing an egg doesn't count the egg toward the total population count, as was suggested, then that gold egg will just be replaced by a gold in the cave or someone else's successfully bred gold egg. No one would be harmed; the eggs would just stop counting. (I would disagree with this feature if they did count, mind you.)

And theres the case of the missed trades, wherein no AP teleport feature is here yet and someone intercepts a trade. Oh noes, freeze golden egg that you wanted to pass to another doing nothing.

Maybe I'm just missing your point, but I don't see what this has to do with egg freezing. So you lost a trade. By the site rules, the egg isn't yours to control after you abandon it, and currently, anything could happen to it—it could be killed, frozen as a hatchling, named Fartface McButtchin and you still wouldn't have a say about it. Comparatively, having it frozen as a pretty egg isn't such a bad option, even from a lineage perspective. You'd still have other offspring.

And again, I see this causing annoyances to family wherein adult shave too many unnamed children, where you can find a way to contact a user and tell them to name a dorkface frozen hatchling... Even if you can't get them to name the egg even if you contact them.

I again fail to see how this is related. That's more a problem with frozen hatchlings, from what I can tell, and it sounds like it has more to do with an in-game PM system than freezing eggs? (Which, incidentally, also sounds like a good idea.)

Edited by pas mort

No in-game system, I'm talking about contacting the new owners via DC forums.

While its true in the trade that its no longer yours, doesn't mean you can't track down the new owner and ask for it back. You can offer them more valauble eggs and so forth. If the option is there to freeze, they freeze the egg and thats it, no chance of getting it back. You could have offered them something more valuable, but its too late.

I acknowledge the limit, but what I'm trying to say if someone's always grabbing the golds, then no one else can have a gold - period. It doesn't matter on ratios, if the people who want them CAN'T get them then it doesn't matter if or not they count towards it. Its the same for hatchlings except they do count towards the limit. You could argue a restriction would prevent this, but if everyone's freezing eggs, who is growing them up?

Freezing an egg is a can of worms I'd only like to see open if there were very harsh limits. Its going to be hard to catch other types of eggs during the first few weeks its introduced, esp. the rares, since everyone who wants to freeze would be hunting.

If not, freezing could have a chance of killing the egg to put people off.

We already have freezing limits. You can only freeze so many hatchlings per fortnight. If that limit included the freezing of eggs then that would definitely put the crimp on freezing. Also, I feel that only adults should count towards ratios, since they're the only ones people bothered to grow fully.

Also, missing a trade and having it frozen as an egg is little different to having it frozen as a hatchling or having it not traded back. If you miss a trade, you're at the mercy of the trader and that's that.

Edited by Harley Quinn hyenaholic

A solution to both of these would be something like "peice the eggs back together" after the hatchling has hatched. This sounds a bit like cheating, in my opinion, but if there was a failure rate...

Ooh, that sounds like a great idea! It could be a BSA for one of the less popular breeds...

Edit: Just started reading backwards and saw that F.ury already brought this (i.e. idea of it being a BSA for a less popular breed) up. smile.gif

Edit#2: Just skimmed through my scroll trying to figure out which breed might work best if BSA and reached the conclusion that so far, none would.

I still like this "piece the eggs back together" concept and think it'd make a neat BSA. Maybe we could have an intelligent dragon come out in the near future who likes to play with puzzles, or an artistic dragon who likes to put egg shells back together again to decorate the cave/scroll/wherever the dragons are living in. biggrin.gif

Edited by Maladroit

Geo, there is already limits on freezing. If the same limits applied to eggs as they do hatchlings, would that take care of your problem?

And I'm sorry, but your stated problem about trades and people not getting golds has NOTHING to do with the suggestion in question. Those things happen now and they'll keep happening whether or not eggs are freezeable. People who can grab golds often grab lots, meaning that others don't get them. Freezing has nothing to do with that.

Failed trades also have nothing to do with freezing eggs. Right now people could kill the failed trade, or name it something horrible, or freeze the hatchling, or purposely send it to the wild. All things the former owner has no control over, since the egg is no longer theirs. Freezing wouldn't *change* any of that, only give the new owner yet another option with what to do with *their* egg.

Edited by Marie19R

This has probably been covered already, but I am fine with egg freezing with two conditions:

1. There is a weekly/bi-weekly limit.

2. A frozen egg takes a slot for X amount of time. Egg freezing should not be a way to get around the 5 hour wait for CB eggs. Originally killing the egg was the way to bypass that, but it was made where it was worse to kill a missclick than to wait the five hours. I think a similar thing, but maybe not as harsh as the time it takes to regain a slot after a kill.

Maybe couldn't freeze an egg before the 5 hours wait if it's CB? Just giving a little idea...

I don't really care if the egg is CB, AP or IB, if I like the egg I'll freeze it. I can assure you that if this option is activated, I'll mostly freeze the eggs of the AP, especially the pinks...

Wow, I can see it, my own army of pink eggs... xd.png

I'd like to point out the problem also with having 100 golds I just remembered.

Though they might not count towards the limit, they would currently still take up a code space. So thats one less code for the system to use and while we've been told we won't hit the limit for a long time, that not helpful.

Also while some of you are having a go at me on the trade thing, thats fine, but I've already met recently someone who was prepared to return a hatchling but realized only after they set up the return lost hatchling. Okay fine, I can accept that, since th person intended to breed that hatchling anyway. But this throw that aside for the moment as that not the point I'm making.

The point is that some folks will return eggs, but if they instant freeze the egg, thats an instant heart ache for the person. Even if they have 3 other more valuable eggs they'd offer to trade for it back. You freeze a failed trade, thats an INSTANT hope taken from you, theres no going back... No chance of talking that person out of it. If its an egg, well Incubate aside, you've got until it hatches to offer up a trade for it back. Vampires... Another better egg of the same breed... Anything really!

In other words, it boils down to the unfrozen egg is a hope when lost in trade (and not a hope when lost in hatchling stage as you know it really could be frozen). A frozen egg would be a disaster. Unless Teleport gets up and running and we KNOW the feelings around the site on that much.

Killed trades, you can go "damn" over... Thats about it, but most folks don't kill a egg unless its inbred, vampire attempt or earthquake failure. There are few who would kill outside of that because we have the space locked for 24 hours. So while you did loose the egg, there is some justice you can point at and go "haha! you've locked yourself for 24 hours by doing that!". Okay the eggs dead, but there is that much justice in the kill feature I can live with it, despite despising it greatly.

Plus most of you don't want this to count towards the ratio list, which has its draw backs. If people ARE collecting rare eggs for the fun of it, then thats fine. But many folks are grabbing commons and freezing them to allow the rares through more. So why do frozen eggs get special treatment? Those folks would kick their heels together 3 times to save themselves a lot of time.

Plus even if you don't count it towards the count, it still doesn't take away the fact people are stating in this very topic they'd like it as an alternative to KILL. What about abandonment? You can unlock yourself that way, heck killing it locks you for 24 hours so why are you killing in the first place. Right now, if your scroll locked, its kill or abandonment. Even if you pick up a CB egg, killing delays you getting a replacment for 24 hours, wheres waiting means you only wait 5 hours. Freezing however though with its limit is almost instant, you can grab another egg and INSTANTLY freeze, no limits. You can use it to cycle the cave if your THAT good getting rid of the commons in the way to get the rares.

Outside of this, kill is only used when someone doesn't want another to get that egg. Example, some while ago someone said they don't want anyone to have eggs from their family trees because they only want their family name on there and no one else's. Again, freezing I suppose would benefit this type of breeder since the frozen egg never gets named anyway.

Sure it doesn't count towards the limit, but your still getting those "annoying" commons out the way to see if rares are there. Or using it to free up the AP blockage. Sure the game will replace the eggs, but your only using it to unblock the cave, it can replace via ratios, but not by numbers usually. You freeze 10 eggs, the system won't replace those 10 lost eggs instantly, its got to be unleashed via the cave or the breeders. This means there are less eggs being cycled through the system overall numbers wise.

Less eggs also means less chance of variety appearing on the cave or AP and doesn't get the message TJ wants across that to get rares we need more commons to survive, if all the common eggs are doing is being frozen. Never counting towards any ratios.

I'm aware of the frozen limit, but I forgot there wouldn't be a separate one for eggs. Lol, my blunder in thinking.

If I wasn't showing signs I've picked up my brother's flu, I'd think this whole issue through better, as it is I've properly not made my points as clear as I should and a lot of this may be just waffle. But the current freezing system, with its limits, favors the eggs being raised to adulthood as oppose to freezing completely. Which I think is significant in itself.

Well had the limits put in place as it is because scrolls were growing too fast via freezing hatchlings since within 3-4 days you've got a dragon as apposed to 7-8 days via growing it up to an adult. 2 dragons as hatchlings as oppose to 1 at adult. That means in the timespan it takes for a person to get 100 adults dragons another could have 200 hatchling dragons on their scroll.

As I said in my previous posts, freezing an egg shouldn't be seen as an alternative to killing. I don't want the true collectors to be denied this chance, but I can see the biggest problem being the USE of freeze. Its purpose is just open to abuse regardless of circumstances. If its done right, thats fine, but if you leave a hole open, WE should know by now people WILL try to widen the hole.

Edited by Geobreeder

I'm glad there's an option to remove your username from your scroll. I would have to bite some heads off if I picked up an egg only to find PMs coming at me telling me that someone else wanted that CB gold, or this is a Monkeysprocket lineage green and I must name it and its offspring Pyewackett Thrupenny, or how dare I freeze their precious grand-egg!

[Disclaimer: All yous, yours and y'alls that follow are generic.]

If an egg goes to the AP, it's not yours anymore. You don't have any rights over that egg. You have set it down and walked away. It's unreasonable to expect to have any say over the egg at that point, including say over whether the egg is kept viable so you can poke someone to trade it back. The folks who would be interested in the swap you suggest are already over at the Lost in Trade thread, letting folks know they found a Monkeysprocket green.

As for the 100 theoretical CB gold eggs: nobody has an inherent right to them. They are not being kept from or stolen from anyone. (Except the cave.) They are being picked up fair and square by game rules, and game rules say you can collect them if you want. The person who picks them up has the right to play them the way they like, whether or not it's in accord with your or my style of play. And, since it looks like most frozen egg supporters are against them counting toward ratios (if I'm reading right--correct me if I'm wrong, please), they would not affect the number of eggs being bred or dropped by that breed, and so it wouldn't affect anyone's ability to grab one of those eggs when they rolled around.