HeatherMarie

Freezing Eggs

I don't have any problem with people choosing to freeze eggs. Eggs are not finite. There will always be more of them. In the long run, it just doesn't do any actual harm.

However it is going to be remarkably annoying if somebody gets a Gold egg and freezes it when you were going to use it properly.

And what exactly is "properly"? If it's a game feature, it's proper. Freezing the egg would be no worse then freezing the hatchling, which is already done. And it's not your place to say what is "proper" for someone else's egg.

Accidental grab during trading? If the owner in the trade wants itr back, and you've frozen it, you won't be getting it back. Plus they may have wanted to trade something more valuable for it back for all you know.

First, I want to say that trading is entirely unofficial. If a hatchling is grabbed during trading and immediately frozen, the new owner has done nothing wrong. Should a dispute arise over who has claim on an intercepted trade, claim always goes to whoever picked it up off the abandoned page, whether or not (s)he is the intended recipient.

Ok, I haven't read the entire thread, but I read the first few pages. The argument about the perceived unfairness of having an eggshell and a hatchling from an egg. I don't think this is unfair in any way because of the nature of eggs and dragons. It is physically impossible to freeze a hatchling and get both a frozen hatchling and an adult. It is physically impossible to eat a cake and still have that cake. It is, however, perfectly possible to have an egg that hatches into a hatchling, and then have shell pieces remaining. I still think putting shells back together is the best solution because there is no way I can think of to abuse it, no way it would upset anyone, requires effort, and pretty much solves every major issue that has been raised.

By 'properly' I mean, growing it up into an adult and then breeding it.

Like if a noob accidentally froze a dragon intended for a lineage? You might technically be using it properly, but that doesn't mean you haven't just really ticked somebody off.

A lot of things tick people off and this would be one more of them. Some people would never do it just like some never freeze hatchlings.

Personally, i like the idea because i really like some of the egg sprites and would love to preserve them on my scroll. I personally support the "One of each breed (+ each egg variation for dorsals and stripes and such)"

I don't so much go for the idea of putting the egg back together. Seems a lot less like going through the trouble of catching and everything but that's just me. I'd go with it if it was the way it ended up being though eggs that are glued back together and everything, always show the cracks and such which would make putting them back together whole weird and unrealistic unless it was a skill for a magic user or something in which the egg was "Made Whole" or something...

Might refine these thoughts as things come to mind. Right now my brain is fried.

there is no accidental, all actions have "are you sure", its their egg to do with as they wish, that is game rule, and should be respected

with or without the option to freeze the egg, its their egg, and theirs alone to do with as they want when they catch it...people stressing over this is just doing themself a disfavor, if you lost it in unofficial trade, just because the egg cant be frozen doesnt mean you stand to have a chance geting it back, or it will be used like you wanted it too..because the moment you drop it, its not yours really to be conserned over, and you should respect that even if you dont like it

the fact is a minority of players is on the forums, and even a minority of that again use lit actively, hence a 'lost' egg as is stand a minimum chance of geting retrived

by my experience then in 99% of the cases of 'returned' eggs, it is returned because the catcher makes the decision they want to do so and actively do something to return it, and this wont change with the added option

if i intend to return an egg or hatchie today that i think may be lost, then i dont freeze or drop or kill or do anything too it but fog it and goes seeking the past owner to ask if they intended to drop it or want it back?

and if i dont intend too, well you can be sure regardless of options or not you wont be having it back, and i will use it as i choose too, because its my dragon, be it egg, hatchling or adult

the only eggs in general you got a chance to influence after they leave your scroll is those you gifted or traded on conditions, successfully, and i dont see how that would be affected at all.

so ok a newbie caught your linage egg, just because they cant freeze it dont mean you are going to get it back, probably 99% chance is you wont anyway, and 99% chance is that you will have nothing to say on whether its frozen as hatchie or if it will breed and too what if that is the case

so as far goes 'lost' eggs, is that really a good point to not allow freezing, considering the small chances of 'return' anyway, and the fact that most returns comes willingly and planed for?

personally i dont think so, because i have a hard time seeing that it will affect the return rate at all

I realy like the egg sprites and I wish to have one egg of each breed

I also like the idea of putting hatched dragons' eggs back together, but I don't see freezing as killing

I also liked the idea of getting clicks for frozen eggs, because it realy IS a bit unfair that you get to have beautiful sprites on your scroll without doing anithing for it

I don't realy agrre with limiting the egg freezing, because some people realy like the sprite or want to make an army of eggs and if you can freeze all the hatchlings you want, then why can't you freeze all the eggs you want?

It seams like many people want to freeze eggs and I'm looking forvard to it too biggrin.gif

Edited by lopika

The only problem is when you have people freezing dozens of Gold eggs. So then you end up with making the Gold eggs even rarer.

I'm a bit lazy and I don't really like the idea of hatching out an egg just for the shell. But then I'd get rid of the hatchling I'd hatched and just keep the egg.

As for getting two things from one egg - an egg and a hatchling - well, you can't breed hatchlings anyway, so it rather evens out.

The only problem is when you have people freezing dozens of Gold eggs. So then you end up with making the Gold eggs even rarer.

I'm a bit lazy and I don't really like the idea of hatching out an egg just for the shell. But then I'd get rid of the hatchling I'd hatched and just keep the egg.

As for getting two things from one egg - an egg and a hatchling - well, you can't breed hatchlings anyway, so it rather evens out.

If that would be th problem, why arent people doing that with gold hatchlings?

Harley, what Tan is saying (I think) is that it is *their* egg to do with as they please, and so what if they interrupted a trade or froze a lineage egg? It's their egg, they have every right to do that.

And again, freezing gold eggs would only be a "problem" for the kind of people who think hoarding is a "problem", even though TJ has specifically stated that it's not.

If some people don't want to freeze eggs, that's fine. But since it would be MY egg to do with as I please, it doesn't seem fair to tell me how to play the game by saying I shouldn't be allowed to freeze my own egg.

An alternative to freezing that I haven't seen is to use the breed command without a male dragon. Like chickens, if the female dragon isn't fertilized, her egg should be sterile. The description could read something like "This egg wasn't fertilized, it will never hatch." Maybe this is too hard codewise (I don't know much about that), but it would allow those people who want to keep an egg permanently on their scrolls to get one. I don't have a suggestion as to whether these eggs would be tradeable, but perhaps they could be coded to be treated like a regular egg for seven days, and then be permanently on the owners scroll, unless they discard it. (Discard could essentially be the release command, I think?)

I too would like to save the egg form of some of the prettier or more interesting eggs.

I always felt it should be possible to release frozen dragons. Whether this unfreezes them or not is debatable - because if they were frozen they'd never grow up - but it's a waste to just Release them.

Using the Breed command without males would just mean you couldn't get unbreedable eggs. You know, like Paper and Cheese.

I don't want to vote for any of the options.

I'd like to be able to have some of the very pretty egg designs "frozen" on my scroll, but I'd prefer something a little different to freezing. diablokitty's idea sounds great, even though it's not as instant as freezing. In a different (I think?) thread, someone had proposed that, when an egg hatches, the scroll owner could choose to put the shell pieces back together and keep it on their scroll. I don't know how this could be coded but it, too, sounds as a good idea to me.

Freezing an egg just seems... wrong. Trapping your hatchy in it's egg forever just doesn't seem right. Please don't attack me!

But I like the idea of putting egg shell peices back together after it hatched.

edit: fixed somethin'

Edited by cbussiere

I've read the forum and like the collect the shell from the cave idea, as well as the piece the egg back together idea. I also understand the consequences of both, such as the having the cake and eating it too argument and the "too easy to collect" one. But what if you combined both ideas and got a random part of a shell for each egg you hatched? Like you hatch a mint, you get one part of five. That way there would be more luck involved and more effort needed to get both the egg and hatchie.

A lot of things tick people off and this would be one more of them. Some people would never do it just like some never freeze hatchlings.

Personally, i like the idea because i really like some of the egg sprites and would love to preserve them on my scroll. I personally support the "One of each breed (+ each egg variation for dorsals and stripes and such)"

I don't so much go for the idea of putting the egg back together. Seems a lot less like going through the trouble of catching and everything but that's just me. I'd go with it if it was the way it ended up being though eggs that are glued back together and everything, always show the cracks and such which would make putting them back together whole weird and unrealistic unless it was a skill for a magic user or something in which the egg was "Made Whole" or something...

Might refine these thoughts as things come to mind. Right now my brain is fried.

Quoting my own post but i wanted to add something that i didn't mention before and almost forgot again.

I know people might not like their bred eggs being frozen. So, might it be possible for the bred egg's code/name to disappear from the parents' pages when it is frozen? I don't know anything about coding so i don't know what extra this might entail but it is a thought.

Also, if possible, i would like the ability of being able to name frozen eggs. That way we don't leave unsightly blank spaces or even, if the codes are left on the parents' pages, not leave the unsightly codes on the parent's pages.

Might further refine later again. xd.png

One reason I supporty the idea of putting the egg back together is that you have to actually take the time to get it to hatch. You don't just grab it and freeze it. (I know I posted in favour of this before, but I didn't clarify why.)

@ Wolf Wings

Well, I always imagined this as a simple magic procedure. I mean, we can age-freeze but not put something broken back together? x3

One thing I'd like to suggest for piecing the egg back together.

What if it was like an actual puzzle?

This is the puzzle lover in me, I don't think it would actually happen.

For the most part, I don't care one way or the other. However, if it was implemented, I would want some time restrictions placed so that a group of people cannot just grab 100+ eggs a day to freeze. The "make it take up an egg slot for 24 hours" sounds very reasonable to me, at the least on caveborn eggs, for there should be no way to circumvent the 5 hour wait for abandoning CB eggs.

Edited by Nectaris

Bump.

I'd very much like TJ's input into this.

I definitely like the idea of being able to piece together shells after hatchies emerge, though... and, as has been mentioned, that'd pretty well eliminate any potential for abuse that I can think of.

^ this idea i like.

perhaps it could be gotten through the hatchling's actions page, with maybe only a 24 hour period to put the shell back together(before the shell gets too smashed, just to be logical.)

Action:

- Reassemble: You have 24-0 hour(s) to reassemble this hatchling's egg.

"You cast a spell upon this hatchling's discarded egg shells. The pieces come together to form a perfectly flawless, though very empty, egg."

then on the description for the frozen egg i imagine it would have its original description(the only exception being the albino's which may have to become "You could once see a baby dragon curled up inside this translucent egg."), but would also say "It's hollow. There's nothing inside." or something.

i figure on the scroll page, it should just have the snowflake beside it, but shouldn't say its frozen, because it technically isn't.

i havent scrolled through the whole thread yet, to be honest, so i dont know if anyone alse has posted anything like this. i'd still like to know what people thought about it, though, whether its been mentioned or not, before.

biggrin.gif; please dont kill meh