HeatherMarie

Freezing Eggs

How about you can only repair an egg if it's hatched within a certain about of time, like 6-12 hours. The reason could be that the egg pieces get carried away by birds or other creatures that use them for various things, so if you don't get there in time, not all of the pieces would be there, and therefore you wouldn't be able to put it back together.

How about you can piece together a dead eggshell? Like, if you kill an egg, or it dies of softshell, you can put it back together? It won't hatch, because it's dead, and it won't take up an egg slot, because you don't need to take care of it.

I'm just going with something that would happen logically. And the eggshell stays around anyway, so it could just be an action of the dead egg.

How about you can piece together a dead eggshell? Like, if you kill an egg, or it dies of softshell, you can put it back together? It won't hatch, because it's dead, and it won't take up an egg slot, because you don't need to take care of it.

I'm just going with something that would happen logically. And the eggshell stays around anyway, so it could just be an action of the dead egg.

but people might let dragons die or kill them just to get the egg sad.gif

i like the idea better were you have to hatch the egg first, because thay way you still have to work a little

I don't really like the idea of freezing an egg. Sure some of them look lovely but thinking of the poor hatchling that will be stuck in there forever or even die disturbs me.

So here's a different solution:

When a hatchling hatches the egg shells are left behind right? So lets say that after hatching 3 or 4 (or more) hatchling you'll have enough egg shells to reassemble a fake egg.

And for the sake of clearing out the AP maybe arrange it so that bred eggs give more shell shards than CB eggs? Or that only bred eggs give shards?

Cybele...read the last two pages....that's EXACTLY what they just said....

I also like the idea of putting humpty dumpty back together with a successful hatching...that way you have earned that shell, not killing the hatchie and such.

Thing is...what would we do if we decided we didn't want all the eggs we put back together? Maybe along with this there could be an option to "sell" it to a "store" to get "money" or "food" or something.....not actual items but just for the text to appear when getting rid of it.

Edited by Dragoness Mesatalia

what if you didn't want your "glued" egg, and you click an option that says something like *You place your decorative egg on the ground and your dragon steps on it* laugh.gif

Cybele...read the last two pages....that's EXACTLY what they just said....

I also like the idea of putting humpty dumpty back together with a successful hatching...that way you have earned that shell, not killing the hatchie and such.

Thing is...what would we do if we decided we didn't want all the eggs we put back together? Maybe along with this there could be an option to "sell" it to a "store" to get "money" or "food" or something.....not actual items but just for the text to appear when getting rid of it.

Oh, hey!

That would be a great way to add currency to the game. Eggshell pieces!

Though that's a completely different thing and we probably don't have enough stuff to implement money of any kind yet... (What would you spend it on, basically.)

I also like the idea of putting the eggshells back together in order to keep an egg sprite on your scroll. Though since they wouldn't be interactive, maybe there would be another space on the scroll for them- to stay organized. :3

Or make it an ability in the dragon special abilities thread... with a scroll-wide week long cooldown. (For example, no matter how many winter/water/whatever dragons you had, you would only be able to freeze one egg per week.)

I support this idea.

I don't really care for the "glue the eggshell back together" idea. It's kinda like trying to have your cake and eat it too. I much prefer the idea of making freezing eggs a Breed Specific Action, with a per week scroll limit. One per week would more than likely be plenty for most of us. The limits for special eggs like Christmas eggs would/could remain as is, so that people would have to choose whether to freeze one of their 2 eggs, or let them hatch, just as they must choose now whether to freeze a hatchling or let both grow up. That seems very fair and workable to me. As for the debate about freezing bred eggs, I don't see why it's even really an issue. As of now, there is no official restriction on which hatchlings you can freeze. Some people are unhappy if people freeze their bred hatchlings, but officially, the egg/hatchling is under the control of the new owner, and they can do as they like. Politeness often influences people not to freeze others bred hatchlings, but the game allows for it. Why should it be any different for eggs?

I like the idea for it being a breed-specific ability.

I was also thinking that perhaps you could only freeze eggs that you've bred? That would stop it from being used for AP block relief, and it wouldn't upset breeders.

The egg could also have "Egg shell obtained from *dragon that hatched here*" or "Egg shell glued on ".

I'm sure people will oppose to it, but I kinda like the idea of only being able to freeze eggs you've bred. For the same reasons Kyatenaru stated.

I don't know much about the Breed-Specific Actions, haven't kept up with that thread, but if it's doable for that, it would be great.

However it would happen, I'd just like it to happen. I wouldn't mind any certain restrictions, I just want a chance to have those pretty eggs permanently.

I'm just wondering about holiday eggs, though you can breed those (as far as we know) around their holiday.

The frozen eggs are trees... Not regular eggs! But I am for this, not against it! Reason: I would like a tree in my scroll!

The frozen eggs are trees... Not regular eggs! But I am for this, not against it! Reason: I would like a tree in my scroll!

...It wouldn't work that way. Some people want a certain egg permanently on their scroll. This option would allow that; it wouldn't turn eggs into trees. Leetle Trees were a Christmas-time event.

The egg could also have "Egg shell obtained from *dragon that hatched here*"

i actually think that might be kinda cool tongue.gif but i doubt it would end up working like that.

Hmmmm...I like the frozen egg idea over all. I'm working on getting all adults, both genders where applicable, and a frozen hatchie of each breed, more than one if there are different gender poses. Some of the eggs are indeed very pretty smile.gif But...yes, limits would be necessary. Of all the ideas I've read, I like a weekly or daily limit best, and a very reasonable one. Only being able to freeze your own bred eggs would be a good idea too, I think, to help appease those who feel eggs should not be frozen-none of their eggs and no eggs they might otherwise have raised from cave would meet that fate. Though that doesn't clear the AP out any <_<The "having an egg and the hatchie that came out of it"...I don't like so much : / It might work, but I feel it should be a one or the other thing-if you freeze a hatchling you don't get the adult as well! Piecing it back together could be ok, though, if it's really that much better received...On another note, why not let us have all the stages of a cracking egg for collection purposes? It might be used to get some newbs out of a fix, but freezing hatchings does the same in some occasions I'm sure, and making a limit per *insert desired amount of time here* would make it impossible for it to be abused that way too badly... dry.gif Why all the calls for a penalty like a dead egg? They don't penalize freezing a hatchling, and given that there are per day/week/etc limits it shouldn't make it any less "abused"...

If there is freezing without any form fo pentalty, period of time or otherwise, breeders will be in uproar.

Also, say your a trader and you miss an eg, would you feel devasted if your egg was then frozen? Its bad enough this can happen with hatchlings. The other thing is, without the time limit esp, someone will abuse the system to just clean out the AP of ALL eggs; there must be at least a penalty for that if you can freeze AP eggs.

Remember, eggs unlike hatchlings are nothing more then a personnelity and nameless piece of artwork on your scroll.

What about this: sometimes an egg produced through breeding will say it's empty. Like, "The dragons produce an egg, but it is hollow and light when you pick it up. It does not appear to contain a dragon." and the "empty egg" would only occur when the AP is overly full and you normally would not get an egg anyway. Or it could take the place of "The dragons breed but produce no egg".

It's been mentioned every so often in the chat room and also by TJ a few times here and there, so I figured I'd open a poll on it and get everyone's opinions.

Should we be allowed to freeze eggs?

I personally think it would be a good idea to freeze only Caveborn eggs. Why? Because people who freeze bred eggs might get the breeder up in arms about it. I am aware that the counter argument for this is that once an egg leaves the breeders hands that it's up to the new owner to what they do with it, buuuuut we get enough complains about frozen hatchies as it is without adding to the issue.

Anyway, vote away, and please let me know in this thread if I should add more voting options to it.

Note: I'd like to add that the coding for frozen eggs already exists in the form of Leetle Trees.

Edited by skinst

I'd quite like it. I really would. Some of the egg sprites are really beautiful. (I'm rather fond of the gold and blue stripe, myself).

However, time to bring up some points that I saw in the 'freezing hatchlings' topic a while back.

1) Wouldn't this count as killing them? You can get away with hatchlings as being in a state of eternal youth, but eggs? I know some people will be against this.

2) People would count the freexing of rares, esspecially if they were CB, as unfair hoarding. I'm not sure how strong an argument this would be, but still....

3) People might overuse it. E.g. freezing pinks from the AP, using it to unlock scroll, etc.

A solution to both of these would be something like "peice the eggs back together" after the hatchling has hatched. This sounds a bit like cheating, in my opinion, but if there was a failure rate...

Yeah but I also think we should have the action to unfreeze them if we wish to. I'm starting to regret freezing my three split females.

2) People would count the freexing of rares, esspecially if they were CB, as unfair hoarding. I'm not sure how strong an argument this would be, but still....

3) People might overuse it. E.g. freezing pinks from the AP, using it to unlock scroll, etc.

A solution to both of these would be something like "peice the eggs back together" after the hatchling has hatched. This sounds a bit like cheating, in my opinion, but if there was a failure rate...

I actually agree with those two. I don't think it would be right if they froze rares as those are hard to come by. I've only been here a year and just finally got my first gold 2-3 days ago.

I also thought about putting the eggs back together after they hatched at one point. I love the skywing egg sprites and also the blue and blue striped ones. I would love it if TJ would let us keep the eggs after they hatched.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

Yes, yes, yes! biggrin.gif I love this idea since so many eggs are cool looking. Someone--and I can't remember who, so forgive me--had the great idea of having an option to put the shell back together of a hatched egg to preserve it. That way people who balk at the idea of freezing an egg won't mind since it's just an empty shell.

The Vampire and Christmas eggs alone would be worth it.

Edit: D'oh! I see Completely Different just said that a few posts above mine. I remember someone saying it in another thread a while back, too, about putting the pieces of the shell back together. It may have been CD then, too. Just wanted to give due credit to the right person. biggrin.gif

Edited by Flame Rising