walkman42

Süpėr School

"No" said Claire with a smile. "My birth parents."

She closed her eyes and tried to hold on to their images. Claire had never seen a picture of her true father, but she knew the man she had seen in her dream was him. He had tried to tell her something, but she had woken up before she could understand.

((*Nine of spades*))

"Tell me about them." Tegan said softly.

"Uhm, people?" Daystar cut in. "Not to be rude, but can I stop impersonating the sun now? I am getting exhausted here."

The young heroine dimmed her glow somewhat and glanced at Julius pleadingly.

((*Nine of clubs*))

Edited by Laura-Lana

"Of course Daystar" said Julius turning to look at her. "I'm sorry about that. Things seem to have taken a very bizzare turn."

He gave the young super a warm smile and nodded towards her.

Claire hesitated. She could see her parents clearly in her mind, but she wasn't sure how to describe them in words.

"He was very kind and happy to see me, but I think he was a little sad too."

"Probably because he never saw you before.", Tegan guessed. "He missed all your childhood."

Relieved Daystar let go of her power and smiled back at Julius. Looking at Tegan and Claire she decided to give the two some privacy and walked toward the door. She turned her head to see if Julius would follow her.

When Daystar made to leave the room Julius followed her. Now facing the other way from Claire and Tegan his expression became grim. Once he was out in the corridor he punched the opposite wall, leaving a sizeable hole.

"Crap."

~~~

"I don't think he did" said Claire. "I've just realised. He's been there the whole time."

"Now you have lost me.", Tegan said confused. "You never knew your parents but your father has been around you all the time? Something you realized because you were attacked by a monster plant. How does that work?"

---

Daystar took his hand, worried he had hurt himself.

"What is wrong Mr. Abbadon? Claire seemed to be well. Did something go wrong?"

When Daystar took his hand Julius gave her a weak smile.

"I just really hate losing."

~~~

"Because he sent the Cahcun" said Claire. "It was the only way he could talk to me."

Blinking a couple of times Claire seemed to snap out of her dreamlike status and looked around her, apparently taking in her surroundings for the first time.

"Why am I sitting in a bath?"

Daystars wide innocent eyes looked confused. "And why do you think you have lost, Sir?"

---

"Not to sound insulting but your father made a mess of matters." Tegan said dryly. "You happen to be in a bath because you were in a coma, seemingly dead like a plant in winter. We had the notion you might wake up if we could simulate spring for you. Warmth, rain, sunshine...

Since Daystar has stopped producing sunlight and you are still awake, I guess it won't harm you to come out now."

He grabbed a towel and held it out for her.

"Did your father explain why he couldn't just talk to you like any other person?"

Edited by Laura-Lana

"Because he's not a person" said Claire standing up and taking the towel. "Not any more."

She looked sorrowful as she wrapped the towel around herself.

"He didn't mean to hurt me. There was just no other way."

~~~

Julius reached out and put his free hand on Daystar's head, her soft hair peeping up through his fingers.

"Nothing you need to worry about."

He smiled and suddenly looked more cheerfull.

"But thank you for your concern."

"If you don't mind sharing that. If he isn't human what is he? And are you going to be attacked by giant flowers again? Should I simply leave you in coma the next time?"

---

Daystar looked up at him her face full of adoration. "If you need anything... I'd do everything for you, Sir."

She blushed a violent scarlet as soon as the words were out of her mouth and turned her head away. Was there a way to sound more immature? She was sounding like a lovesick teenager.

"That's very kind of you Daystar" said Julius with a pleased smile. "But all I can ask that is you continue to work hard at becoming a hero. The world needs more young ladies like yourself."

He removed his hand from her head, letting her hair trail through his fingers slightly, and looked through the window at Tegan and Claire. He hoped the boy would come out soon. He needed a word with him.

~~~

Shaking her head Claire smiled.

"I doubt that it will happen again. As for what my father is....it is a little hard to explain. I'm not sure if I understand myself."

When she had been with her parents everything had seemed so clear. Now that she was awake and ankle deep in lukewarm water things were starting to go a bit fuzzy.

"Yes. Of course.", Daystar whispered breathlessly. Unconsciously she captured on of the strands that had trailed through his fingers and pressed it against her lips.

((Me: Poor girl))

---

"Try it.", Tegan said softly. "If not for me then for yourself. Trying to explain something is the best way to work through something confusing. And your memory will never be stronger than now. "

---

Daystar looked at Julius. "I could just knock on the door. Tegan would probably come to see who is knocking."

Julius chuckled.

"That is quite alright. I think I can handle the task of attracting his attention."

He paused for a moment.

"Actually, perhaps you could stay with Claire while I talk to him? It might not be a good idea to leave her alone right now."

He returned to the door and opened it.

"Tegan?"

Before Claire could reply Julius opened the door.

"Tegan?"

Daystar slipped through the door and walked to Claire. "I'll keep her company.", she informed him.

Tegan stared at her for a moment. Her stance clearly said he was dismissed. He thought about protesting but he was curious what Julius wanted and with Daystar in the room Claire likely wouldn't talk anyway.

He glanced at her to see if she was okay with him leaving her alone with Daystar.

Daystar was kind but Claire didn't know her.

Edited by Laura-Lana

"I'm okay" said Claire to Tegan's questioning glance. "I should really change anyway. This gown is soaked."

She wondered why Julius wanted to talk to Tegan. If it had something to do with her, then shouldn't she hear it too?

"All right then."

Tegan walked out of the room and closed the door behind him.

"Yes, Sir?"

---

Daystar pointed to the door to the right. "I think they left your clothes in the bedroom there. I'll wait here so you can have privacy for changing. If you need me, yell."

Julius stared down at Tegan for a few moments before speaking.

"You understand that my knowledge covers mostly fay and demons? Supernatural creatures. Creatures not of these world. So when it comes to creatures of this world my understanding can be a little vague."

~~~

"Thank you."

Claire stepped out of the bath and dripping wet, made her way towards the indicated door. She hoped her shoes were there as well. He feet were freezing.

"Yes. You've made that clear." Tegan said. He gave the teacher a deep look, trying to get a measure of the man. It was hard. Harder then he was used to with someone he had known more then a few minutes.

No matter how unreliable his receptive empathy was, being long enough in the presence of someone else usually afforded him some insight, but he had never managed to pick up anything about Julius. His expression, his bodylanguage, even his voice radiated friendlyness, but Tegan's power could neither confirm that impression nor inform him that it was an act. The man's heart was closed to him and thus Tegan hadn't the slightest idea what he might want to talk about.

"Do you know what an avatar is?" asked Julius. "In it's true sense? I'm not talking about pictures on the internet or a movie. An avatar is a manifestation of what you might call a supreme being, or a being with a vast amount of power. In order to visit the realm of mortals, these beings would create a physical body in order to move around." Edited by Fortune86

"Avatar..." Tegan tried to figure out why Julius suddenly would want to talk with him about avatars. He drew a blank. So all he said was:

"Yes.. I am aware what an avatar is. The orginal meaning isn't so far from the new one in my opinion. The user manifests through his avatar in the computer game or the internet or whatever just like the power would manifest through it's avatar."

"An avatar made of flesh and blood can do something a computer game can not" pointed out Julius. "They can have children."

~~~

Claire dried herself as best she could, although her hair was still damp, and changed into her dry clothes. Instead of returning to the room where Daystar was waiting she went over to the window and looked outside. There was a tree not far away. The wind blew through its leaves and Claire had the strangest feeling that it was watching her.

"Never played Sims, hm? Some avatars can indeed have children."

The word children made Tegan think about his conversation with Claire. Could it be that she was the child of an avatar or something like that?

Probably not. That concept wasn't very hard to explain and where should Julius have gotten knowledge about that. He clearly hadn't claimed any such thing when Claire was in coma and it might have done some good. Soo...

"Are you the son of an avatar?"

It would certainly explain his powers.

Edited by Laura-Lana

Julius stared blankly at Tegan for a moment and then burst out laughing. It was a strange noise and didn't quite fit the handsome face. The folklore teacher had obviously found Tegan's innocent question highly amusing. It took a moment before Julius could compose himself and he waved a hand as if to brush away his lack of self control.

"I'm sorry Tegan" said Julius regaining himself. "Your question took me by surprise. But no, I am not. My parent was no more remarkable than yours. Ahem."

Julius coughed and his serious expression returned.

"What I am trying to say is that I believe Claire is the child of an avatar. That word she used. Cahcun. It's from a very old language that very few people use. The language is so rare in fact, that only certain people are even aware of it. I myself only learned of it through pure chance."

Tegan smiled wrily as Julius started to laugh. When the teacher didn't stop it turned into an expression of long suffering patience until the burst of myrth had passed.

A part of his brain noticed satisfied that at least Julius laughter wasn't absolutely perfect.

Eventually the teacher calmed down and explained what he meant.

"And what does Cahcun mean?", Tegan wanted to know.

'The more interesting question', he added silently in his head, 'is why he is talking to me and not to Claire about this?'

Edited by Laura-Lana

"No idea" admitted Julius. "Like I said I heard about the language by chance. I never learned it, although I do recognise a few words."

He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

"If I am right though" he continued. "Claire may be in for a spot of trouble. She'll need someone to watch her back."