Selina_Catz

The breeding oath

I do all of those except the last one, but I don't really understand why it's not good to do mass breeds if they're for rares.

I support this, but I'm not one myself,

I believe in the ideals,

But I'm still young in dragoncaves,

I want to give myself a family setting in my cave.

Big long liniage of dragons.

All coming from my first female and male,

Well their children having children,

Etc.

I don't really understand why it's not good to do mass breeds if they're for rares.

I suspect it's because when breeding for rares, the results are usually a larger percentage of non-rares - whatever the rare parents are being bred with. So the process creates more pinks, mints, whites, etc. than rares on the AP. smile.gif

I don't breed all that much, so I am not taking the oath, but I think it's a good one. Congrats to all of you.

Edited by Sam13

Sure, I'll take it.

I took the oath!

I'll just have to be careful breeding some of my common pairs. wink.gif

Edited by Pierce

I consider myself a supporter. When I do mass-breed, it's for Silvers or Geodes/Stones for dropping, things I know people snap up gladly. I can't guarantee that I'm always perfectly following, but I do my best.

I will take the oath. It is how I like to breed personally anyway.

Hmm... I only breed for silvers, so I only breed until my silvers are all tapped. Currently I'm keeping frills and purples, because I like frills and I need more females on my scroll. So, as now, I have one frill, one purple, and three silver hatchlings. Any "extra" silvers get abandoned - I like randomly "gifting" people with silver eggs, even if they sometimes die. I generally try to breed my silvers with others that I know are currently in demand; fr'ex, the next breeding will be almost entirely silver x seasonal, because springs are hot right now - and I'll be keeping at least one spring for myself.

On the other hand, I don't pay any attention to the time (hour) of when I breed, and I don't check the AP to see if it's clogged or what it's clogged with. So I guess I'm only a semi-responsible breeder. ^.^

I have to admit, I'm mostly just relieved that this isn't "I pledge never to inbreed!", which is what I was expecting to see. wink.gif

I just had a thought. If it's actually against the rules for anyone to ask or tell how to get a particular breed of dragon, then how can one find out except to breed experimentally? I have one split. I still believe that metallics and papers in the AP are a rumor. I'm pretty new, I guess you'd say. So as a person who isn't yet intimate with dragon genetics, how will I learn the possibilities if I hold myself to an obligationto only breed what I know I want?

I do like the idea of this, but I have some pure-common couples that I breed to keep my schedual.... And I'm not big on oaths anyways. But I will support it, as I keep to the others.

I will not breed for breeding's sake: I will breed because I want the result of that breeding or know that there are people who want it.

I will not breed when the AP is full and I can't keep the result of the breeding.

I will not contribute to an existing wall: I will breed those those commons that aren't so abundant at the moment.

I will if at all possible breed sometime between xx.15 and xx.45.

I will not participate in massbreeds

...I don't take the oath, because I can't follow the first promise.

Still, I've always been practicing the next four statements since the first infamous mass-breed.

I have never participated in the mass breeds mainly due to time issues. However, I do breed for the sake of breeding. The whole idea of breeding was something that made me excited when I first started DC.

So, sorry, but I can't take the oath. :3

Good luck though.

Please add me to the supporters, I agree with your promises, but taking an oath... I don't want to take an oath at an online game wink.gif .

Please add me to the supporters, I agree with your promises, but taking an oath... I don't want to take an oath at an online game wink.gif .

LMAO.

More like a wedding to take an oath, eh?

elynne, I don't get the fuzz people make about inbreeding, personally I try not to do it because the thought creeps me out and when I do accidently inbreed (often relatives in the fourth degree or even less closely related, because I've forgotten they share a common ancestor somewhere along the line), I raise the offspring and then release it so some purist doesn't kill the unfortunate offspring, but I do know intellectually that it makes no difference.

elencha,

Q: Can a bred egg be the breed of a grandparent rather than the parents?

A: No. It doesn't matter what the parents' parents or grandparents are, the bred egg can only be the breed of one of the parents.

The only thing you can't be certain about is alts and that's just random chance as far as I know.

What I like about your oath it that you want breeders to look out what is at their breeding time overly present in the AP. Before I breed I look what I can safely pair up, so I will get frills, skywings, blacks or waters to abandon, instead of pairing the dragons I want to breed with mints/pinks/purples.

I don´t like the idea of rare-massbreads because of the massive counts of commons that are produced.

But what troubles me is that especially stone-breeding-days or split-breeding-days would produce stones or split which are very much wanted by a lot of users. So those mass-breeds aren´t actually that bad, the eggs are wanted and will doubtless get good homes, plus it won´t produce whites/pinks/purples.

With lineages it´s a different thing. It´s good to breed dragons where you really want to keep the result of the breeding, when the AP is clogged. Why? Because that way only one offspring will be bred and no lineage-offsprings are randomely abandoned. I guess this is particularely important for those people who want to have all the lineage babies named. On the other hand those will take the breeding result or give it to someone who really wants it.

Since I'm running the Rare mass breed (Which to me is a responsible one since its the breeding of highly sought after metallic eggs, so yeah :S ) I'll just say I'm a supporter of this. happy.gif

Well, I breed only in trying for eggs I want myself or might be able to share with others, don't breed Pinks or Purples at all, don't mass breed, but never thought to keep track of times away from Drops, which makes sense.

Still, I suppose I'd best go down as a supporter, rather than an oath-taker, as I will drop unwanted eggs in trying to get something I do want, so please mark me down as a supporter, if that's of any help?

I'll support, but will not take the oath. I can't really stick to half of that, although I do give my eggs away to those who wish for them.

Amen.

However, a breeding might go wrong - say I breed a Pebble and a Seasonal, wanting the Seasonal offspring, but get 1 pebble egg. x'3 In those cases I abandon. But I wouldn't breed the Pebble and the Seasonal just to BREED them.

Amen.

However, a breeding might go wrong - say I breed a Pebble and a Seasonal, wanting the Seasonal offspring, but get 1 pebble egg. x'3 In those cases I abandon. But I wouldn't breed the Pebble and the Seasonal just to BREED them.

Aside from the fact that I approve mass breed which will result in very wanted eggs like Splits and Stones (Yes I approve those massbreeds because stones and splits are wanted and will therefore not clogg the AP and no common eggs will be produced unlike with rare massbreeds), this is my biggest concern in the whole oath.

If a breeding goes wrong and results in an egg I do not want to keep I will abandon it as well. It´s as simple as that.

I am very glad though that you did not include the banning of inbreeding in your oath, because I must confess that I was half way expecting to read something like that.

It´s good to think what you are doing before hitting the "breed" but I´m afraid there are just some points ( split/stone massbreeds) that I am not entirely fond of.

@Selina Catz: What do you think of such massbreeding with very desired results? I can see why you don´t like the massbreeding for rares because of the commons bred, but stone x stone or split x split won´t do that.