Selina_Catz

The breeding oath

That is not a bad idea at all. I think it might not ruffle feathers as much as "responsible".

Not bad for an Italian. wink.gif

Agreed, plus the entire title to me sounds rather inflammatory, as it implies(to me at least) the worst of what anyone has said about this oath. It would be better just to change it to "The Breeding Oath", or "The Careful/Responsible Breeding Oath". I can tell you now that the first impression I personally got when I read the current title was not good.

Edited by Nectaris

It's possible that "careful breeder" or "considerate breeder" might be better phrasing, but Selina has already made banners and so on, so I don't think it's serious enough that she needs to change it. After all, praising one person as "responsible" doesn't necessarily mean you're insulting another as "irresponsible." The Acts of Random Kindness thread doesn't mean that the people who didn't take those actions are "unkind," does it? :-)

I like the idea of a Supporters list as well as an Oath Members list. I support the breeding ideas in the first post and already do all of them almost all the time, but I just don't like the idea of taking an oath over an online computer game. For all I know some new type of egg could come out that would totally change the way I wanted to breed, and it's a game, so I'd rather leave my options open. :-)

OK, I changed the first post, is there anyone else who wants to be switched from oath taker to supporter?

Edited by Selina_Catz

It would be better just to change it to "The Breeding Oath", or "The Careful/Responsible Breeding Oath".

Careful, mindful, conscientious, considerate....

Eh, I should probably put away the thesaurus. xd.png

But yeah, "responsible" for some reason just gives off a negative vibe even though I'm know that wasn't the OP's intent at all.

Edit: Oops, nevermind--I just realized it was changed. biggrin.gif

Edit 2:

Dumb question: What's the difference between a supporter and an oath taker, other than saying you took the oath? For example, I agree with some parts of the oath but not all, so would that be a supporter?

Edited by Flame Rising

What's the difference between a supporter and an oath taker, other than saying you took the oath? For example, I agree with some parts of the oath but not all, so would that be a supporter?

I interpreted it as either that, or if you follow the ideas almost all the time but maybe not every time (like the people who want to reserve the right to mass-breed splits, etc.)

Swearing an oath over something seems to me like you're promising to do the whole thing 100% of the time no matter what. My level of support is less committed than that, so I'm happy to have a squishier category from which to applaud. :-)

I feel that I am a responsible breeder, but I suppose that my participation in the Split Breeding day will disqualify me from taking the oath.

You're a supporter if follow the ideas almost all the time but not every time or if you follow some of them all the time.

raindear, do you want me to add you to the supporters?

Edited by Selina_Catz

I interpreted it as either that, or if you follow the ideas almost all the time but maybe not every time (like the people who want to reserve the right to mass-breed splits, etc.)

Swearing an oath over something seems to me like you're promising to do the whole thing 100% of the time no matter what. My level of support is less committed than that, so I'm happy to have a squishier category from which to applaud. :-)

You're a supporter if follow the ideas almost all the time but not every time or if you follow some of them all the time.

Sounds good. Like raindeer, I think I breed responsibly (and very rarely for that matter) but will be participating in the Split Mass-Breed. So, I'd like to be part of the squishier category. tongue.gif

Hm... An oath really does seem like too much work for me. All my 'iffy' habits could stray outside of the oath, and then I'd be bending the guidelines it sets, rather than breaking them.

That said, I support it, but I don't think I could take it. I'd end up being the one person who everyone gets upset at. ^^

Thanks for clarifying, though!

Edited by Xylene

Yes, I am willing to be counted as a supporter of this idea.

I add my oath, since most of the time I forget I can breed....

I will be a (insert politically correct word here) breeder! wink.gif

I am a careful breeder, so tongue.gif but with oath smile.gif

thanks for the compliment on my english ;P I do my best smile.gif

It's possible that "careful breeder" or "considerate breeder" might be better phrasing

Actually, I do prefer considerate breeder over responsible breeder. I think it would be better accepted by the community and is better descriptive anyway.

If someone makes a banner with careful breeder instead of responsible breeder I'll put it up in the first post.

I guess I am a supporter. I don't like to breed when the AP is clogged (oh, but to have those eggs on the AP again!) and I don't breed just for the sake of breeding. I always breed for my own scroll/lineage goals or for others who want a type of dragon I have. I would accept "condsiderate breeder", but I am not taking the oath... because I have participated in certain kinds of mass breedings for the benefit of others, and I would again (rares, splits, stones, geodes, etc.).

That being said, this is a game! I have friends & family that love DC, but are not forum members. They don't believe me when I tell them about the breeding oath, members arguing about the name of the new eggs/dragons, or getting mad at other players for catching an egg meant as part of a trade, and on and on...

I didn't intend to, but I've scared them away from all forums, not just this one! They are afraid people will get mad if they breed or play according to their own schedules. That and they simply don't care what others are breeding and when. Plus it's fun for them to be surprised about the mass breed going on or why a wall of eggs of a certain color is taking over the AP today. My nephew loves it when the AP is clogged because he knows he will catch something, right? When there are hundreds of people on during the drop he's not always successful, but a full AP always makes his day! biggrin.gif

I follow all the rules except for the timing one. I tend to time my breedin depending on my RL schedules, and rarely breed these days unless requested or people were complaining baout splits not showing up, then I breed and gift the eggs.

I dont like the concepts of mass breeding and I found the clutch sizes have fallen off since the mass breedings have come into vogue.

I rescue stuff from the AP, so more often than not I am pretty much scroll locked till I am able to find someone I can gift the egg or hatchling to.

I am not going to intentionally breed commons to clog the ap, but I shall be the rebel and say I will breed what I want when I want.

nana nana boo boo xd.png

I stopped breeding my dragons (Yes. Even the Silvers I spent so long collecting.) a couple of months ago. Given the **** breeders get, I decided it was pointless to try to provide even the metallic eggs anymore.

So, unless I'm trying to get eggs for my god-daughter or her friends, if breeding ever comes back I'm still out.

No more eggs from me.