Selina_Catz

The breeding oath

No, I won't take it...

I don't like oaths.

They limit my creativity.

Personally, I like massbreeds and walls. It helps me build up my army.

(I'd be sad if it suddenly stopped.)

I tend to breed like this anyway, but I won't take the oath. Oaths like this, in my opinion, simply serve to devide a community into "us" and "them". Someone who chooses to play the game differently than I do is in no way more or less responsible than I am. Within the established rules, we are all entitled to play the game in the way we like best.

Responsible? Oaths?

This is still a game as it was when I joined yes?

No. DRAGONS AREN'T GAMES.

No oaths for me.

I think I'm fairly responsible, and I think some common courtesy is good. I try not to breed when the AP is jammed, for example, and I don't breed just out of random boredom.

But I'm not going to avoid breeding a dragon that I want to breed simply because of other people's tastes. I love white dragons, and I have a whitexguardian pairing that I like to breed now and then. I'm not going to stop doing that because it's an enjoyable part of the game for me.

I smiled when I read this thread because the term "responsible breeder" is so subjective. smile.gif

There's no problem with people choosing to abide by those ideas present in the oath but I think skauble and tjekan have made some excellent points about unintended consequences resulting from the creation of this thread. We all need to keep in mind that many of the Dragon Cave members don't read this forum regularly or at all so they are going to do what they are going to do.

Personally I can't take this oath because I'm still new to Dragon Cave and still exploring what I want to do with it, particularly in the area of breeding, so there's going to be some experimentation on my part. But I consider myself a responsible person and I'm sure the people I've dealt with on here would back me up. smile.gif

See what happens when you go to bed, everyone starts raising interesting points, let's see:

you DO mean something like 'put off breeding skywings if there's a page of them in the Abandoned area', right?

Yes that's what I mean.

On the cave balancing system: I'm not sure if breeding results are influenced by it, TJ has said he was going to change the programming so that they were, but I don't know if it was implemented.

I don't think I have the artistic skills to make a smaller button, anyone want to try it?

Also should I make a list of people who are sympathetic to the concept but don't feel they can actually take the oath?

I don't think I have the artistic skills to make a smaller button, anyone want to try it?

I can shrink the current one, if you'd like.

I only breed when I want to get a certain egg from a couple. Unfortunately, this sometimes means that if the clutch results are not what I want I end up having to abandon them. Fortunately, I'm making lots of people happy with silver x seasonal eggs for those that I don't keep. My silver x white pairs only get to breed if I want to continue the line on my scroll, and at that it is usually the last couple that gets to breed.

Otherwise, I breed until I have 4 or 5 eggs to keep and I'm done for a few weeks as it gives me time to cave hunt and AP hunt.

I always look at the AP before breeding and I can say that I've only bred one of my adult purples, never bred my mints, and only tried once and got a flat out refusal from my pink. Thus they are not going to ever flood the AP.

So I think I qualify as a responsible breeder with that. Although I will make some exceptions to the "mass breed" in that I like to participate in the silver and gold rain when I can.

ETA: I will not take the "oath" as such as it would be a limiting factor on my enjoyment of Dragon Cave.

Edited by RayneKitty

Thanks added it to the first post

[URL=http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=46422][IMG=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/U78Yr/0018025.jpg][/URL]

Further adding is going to have to wait until I'm home (in about four hours) as I actually have to do my classwork and this school computer is doing weird things to my posts.

Edited by Selina_Catz

I've taken the oath and will happily stand by it. I adhere to responsible breeding practices on all of my virtual pet games and preach the "gospel" IRL, as I'm an avid dog fan/groomer/exhibitor.

~ Amanda @ Aljan

but it seems like the manner in which the term responsible is used here means that breeders aren't going to be protected as much as a new group of people are going to be able to start finger pointing at others who may very well believe that they're being responsible in the way that they chose to breed.

Yes, yes, and yes.

I think this was a good intentioned idea; however, I think it could lead to all kinds of nastiness.

I remember a while back where there were certain people on the forum who repeatedly said they bred all of their dragons just be to jerks and to tick off the Cave hunters. But I haven’t seen them around in some time. The dynamics of the game are shifting: it’s no longer a matter of people mass breeding or spite-breeding. It’s a matter of the large amount of people who are joining and starting scrolls. There are so many players now that even when people just breed a few of their pairs, things get clogged up.

The fact of the matter is, breeding is a fun part of the game. And people want to do it. Walls of AP eggs and blocked drops are just the way things are here now. Most of my 840+ dragons are AP finds, so I do my part in unclogging things. Hence whenever I decide to breed, I don’t want to be made to feel guilty about it or labeled “irresponsible”.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Flame Rising

Everything can lead to nastyness smile.gif

Even lineage could. Having or not a certain dragon. Let's not mention inbreeding, shall we? (it is a game o.o dragons are pixels. Why people "kill" inbreed eggs? And people insult other people who inbreed? O.o)

I recognize myself in a breeding policy about being careful about what and when you breed. Period biggrin.gif

I am not going to point finger at people who do it differently. I have nothing against them. I personally prefer to make people know I have actively take my little oath.

That is all.

If we stop to do things, generally, because someone might use them to "point finger", then we will soon do nothing.

You can do nothing fool-proof, because fools are very inventive <--- Italian motto (I am Italian biggrin.gif)

Frankly I have seen nobody with the breeder oath in the signature point finger at somebody smile.gif but it is possible, like everything is possible. Right now, what I see are people who "point finger" at "responsible breeders" ;P quite the countrary ;P

If you feel "guilty" about it, I can't help. It wasn't for sure the idea of the topic. Nodoby wanted you to feel so. smile.gif

Edited by Tatian

I only breed when I want to get certain eggs from a couple, since I breed only for myself. I don't like funny names on my abadonned children so I try to keep my breeding at minimum. smile.gif

So I agree to the oath and take a copy of it in my sig. smile.gif

Very well said, Tatian.

I've been asked when I add people to the list, so some info on that:

people who reply in the trend of 'hear, hear' or brilliant get added immediately.

People who ask questions do not get added until they have responded that they understand everything and agree with it.

People who respond that they feel that they don't need to take the oath don't get added.

If I'm unsure if someone actually wants to be added I ask them.

Finally, I'm human: I miss things and I make mistakes, if you see that I've forgotten to add someone, please inform me.

Edited by Selina_Catz

I recognize myself in a breeding policy about being careful about what and when you breed. Period biggrin.gif

I am not going to point finger at people who do it differently. I have nothing against them. I personally prefer to make people know I have actively take my little oath.

That is all.

I think you may have misinterpreted me expressing an opinion as to why I personally foresee issues with this oath as some kind of attack on you. It's not. It's me expressing an opinion.

There's nothing wrong with the oath. I stated that it is good-intentioned. But I just think some nastiness might ensue with divided camps on the matter. In fact, it appears to have already cropped up a bit as it is, hm?

But since debate over breeding derails the purpose the OP has for this thread, I'll bow out and watch from the sidelines.

QUOTE (molasseslass @ Mar 30 2009, 01:59 AM)

Responsible? Oaths?

This is still a game as it was when I joined yes?

No. DRAGONS AREN'T GAMES.

Umm, to many of us, DC IS a game. If all the little dragons went away completely I'd be disappointed, but it'd not be the end of the world. That being said, it is a game to me.

Edited by Stripey

I realise it's difficult to figure that out from plain text, but I'm pretty sure that was meant to be sarcasm.

Since I have notice people argue about the "responsible" part I suggest:

Maybe is better change "responsible breeder" with "careful breeder"

smile.gif

@Flame: I personally don't feel attacked at all ^-^ what was I saying is: people who have "taken the oath" were saying nothing to the other... it was the countrary ;P I found it quite amusing ^.^

The main part of my topic was: everything can lead to nastyness smile.gif let's act like sensible beings, since I believe in humanity, and nothing bad will happen ^__^ but maybe "careful" breeder is better than "responsible" breeder, uh? happy.gif

Edited by Tatian

I'm going to add another list for supporters, would careful breeder be a good label for them?

Or should I simply label it supporters?

Since I have notice people argue about the "responsible" part I suggest:

Maybe is better change "responsible breeder" with "careful breeder"

smile.gif

That is not a bad idea at all. I think it might not ruffle feathers as much as "responsible".

Not bad for an Italian. wink.gif