Selina_Catz

The breeding oath

I agree to the oath, but what does this mean?

I will if at all possible breed sometime between xx.15 and xx.45.
Edited by Mageziya

In the range of HH:15 to HH:45, where you replace HH with the hour of choice. Basically, the idea is: "I will not breed on the hour and I won't breed near on the hour, either, so I don't conflict with cave drops."

Apologies, but I disagree.  No matter what disclaimer you put on their, it will still make going against the "Suggestions" seem like rule breaking.  Especially if it is stickied or written by a mod.  It is not hard to notice the page being blocked and know that breeding is what caused it.  If people really wanted to, they would stop it on their own, but they don't.  The fact is, is with the low number of eggs it takes to block the page, even a few people breeding only for themselves can block the cave.

As for the oath, I pretty much go by it anyways, but I refuse to take it.  I don't like these kind of user-imposed rules at all and the implications that come to you if you chose not to follow them, whether the person who made them meant them or not.

I have to agree that that's, unfortunately, what will most likely happen.

Case in point, when the Lost in Trades thread started it was just a way to get people not to come on the board and make "Did someone catch ___ just now" posts all over the forum. And, frankly, when they posted them on the forum they were usually shot down, almost immediately, by people telling them that trading was unofficial and no one had to give anything back.

But, after a while, the LiT thread grew and grew until it gave a kind of credibility to the idea that people should be giving trades back because there was some sort of obligation. Now, I'm not saying that's what the majority of people who use the thread believe, just that the thread gave that point of view a false sense of legitimacy as people started to believe that if there was a thread for the return of lost trades then it must follow that they should be returned.

So if you add something about breeding suggestion, pretty soon it's going to become rules as it's passed around and then there's going to be a lot of finger pointing and flare ups, IMO.

~Sarah~

Also, if you want to spread common eggs from your dragons around but don't want them to clog the AP, another thing you can do is just hold onto them yourself for a couple of days until they crack. Eggs with visible cracks in them are *always* desirable to someone, even if they're pink or the same color as three other rows of eggs.

Not an oath or an etiquette guideline, just a tip. :-)

I don't take this oath. I don't give a hoot that the AP's always clogged. In fact, I like it better that way. Easier to trade common eggs with special lineages. I don't like having my breeding list full of unbred dragons. Especially when I'm trying to mate a special/metalic and I accidentally steal someone's lifemate.

I agree with SavageArtistry. Like my favorite teacher said to me once. If the government tries to fix the economy, it'll only make it worse. Same here. Yes, I'll space out my breeding, but only because that'll give me more metalics in the long run.

lol, I don't think I can take this oath. I like to breed on a schedule (I get impatient otherwise) and forget to see if the AP is full when I do.

I love a nice full ap--I've completely forsaken the cave these days. You can abandon immediately if it's not what you want instead of waiting five hours, and you can get plenty of cave-borns. The only cave-borns I haven't gotten off the ap are golds--I've gotten 2 silver cave-borns from the ap, and plenty of everything else, including dinos and a paper that I threw back.

I love breeding. I don't think the clogged ap has much to do with too much breeding--it's just an outgrowth of how much the game has grown and how many more people are playing now. The good, old days are gone and they ain't coming back. It's the nature of the evolution of the dragon cave--with exponential growth comes change.

Totally agree with the analogy of the Lost in Trades thread--what starts out as a fun kind of everyone joining together ends up with some feeling entitled to getting their Lost in Trades back. I don't think that there is any such things as the "Ethics of Breeding" at the dragon cave--it just doesn't apply to this game at all, as far as I can see. As some said above--I'm playing according to all the official rules, and that's all that's ethically required.

I love a nice full ap--I've completely forsaken the cave these days.  You can abandon immediately if it's not what you want instead of waiting five hours, and you can get plenty of cave-borns.  The only cave-borns I haven't gotten off the ap are golds--I've gotten 2 silver cave-borns from the ap, and plenty of everything else, including dinos and a paper that I threw back.

I have to admit that, although I don't breed the vast majority of my dragons, I love a full AP also.

I don't have a problem with the oath, but I do have a question about this part -

I will not contribute to an existing wall: I will breed those those commons that aren't so abundant at the moment.

If the cave is set up to balance out the eggs so that each breed is a certain percentage, then wouldn't it mean that whatever "wall" there is is a result of the cave balancing itself?

So, if we all made sure to breed other dragons besides those would it result in 1) decreased breeding results, 2) increased breeding of that particular breed from the wilderness dragons, 3) a huge upswing in that particular breed being dropped in the cave?

Frankly, I'm not sure of the specifics regarding the mechanics of the cave balancing system. But if breeding isn't just random, but regulated into the balance of the cave, would not breeding a dragon that the cave clearly thinks is needed create a ripple that would effect other parts of the cave?

~Sarah~

I'll take the oath.

I don't have room for the banner in my sig line, but I believe in this Oath anyways.

>^,,^<

If I breed to get an alt or gender and release if it isn't would I be breaking the oath if I took it?

Sorry, just can't take the oath for a few reasons.

1. While I check the AP before breeding, I can't help if my metallic pairs give me a common I have no need for, and even multiples of it.

2. No matter when you breed, if you get more than one egg and don't want any of them, unless you actually choose one to keep, it will drop on the top of the hour. The cave getting excessively clogged at the top of the hour isn't due to irresponsible breeding, it's due to the way the cave is progreammed.

I can't see it making any difference when you breed even if you choose one to keep, if you get multiple eggs, it's still going to add to the AP. The problem is how easily the AP fills with the amount of players out there.

3. When I actually try to check in advance to see if someone would want a common result of a breeding, I then don't get anything to give them. Then I feel bad for gettiing their hopes up and my dragons not coming through on it. So yeah, stopped asking in advance if anyone wants the result of a breeding, even a silver egg I may not want.

And like others said, I do like an AP that has a good number of eggs in it, and it will unclog eventually

Is it okay to semi take the Oath, because you have next to no time to breed, but I don't breed much.

Hmm. You know, skauble makes some very good points. If there are a lot more stones on peoples' scrolls than pinks, the cave is set up to produce more pinks and fewer stones. If we respond by breeding lots of stones and no pinks, in the end all that's going to happen is the cave will produce even more pinks and no stones.

It's already the case that caveborn golds, vines and blacks are nearly extinct, just because people have so many more of them on their scrolls than their population percentages would indicate.

I admit I do try to "counter-breed" colors that are currently scarce in the AP/cave drops, so as to end up with eggs people will consider valuable for trading, gifting, etc. But I'm not actually sure that doing this benefits anyone but me, if the cave is just going to balance out my behavior by producing the pinks and mints I withheld and withholding the stones and splits I produced. *ponders*

Sorry, I won't.

I don't think ones who don't take this oath are irresponsible breeders.

Your point is not strong enough to convince me.

No matter how you try to breed, you cannot avoid multiple clutch. That is the way this game is.

i take the oath.

i barely breed anyway. this is not about breeding metallics with commons and getting commons: that's unavoidable. you're breeding for a metallic, which either you want or you know someone else wants. but if you're breeding just to breed, then it's not responsible, by these rules.

Im only going to breed till i get 3 gold eggs

and ill leave one spot open...

but if i breed my gold X common and i get a common egg, its going to the ap :T

but ill grab 4 eggs from the ap for my sisters.

(i have 3 sisters) biggrin.gif

So yeah no oath for me...

I never breed just for the sake of "It's breeding day" or anything like that. I also refuse to add to a "wall" of eggs. I breed at odd times, rarely in the evening unless someone wants something I can specifically breed for. I will agree to be a responsible breeder. (But I don't have room for a banner on my sig wink.gif Can you make a smaller button type?

I'm a responsible breeder. I'm just not your definition of a responsible breeder. wink.gif

I only breed because I want the potential result of that breeding or know that there are people who want it. I may or may not keep it if what I get is not what I wanted. So, I can't sign up to breeding only when I want the result. Sometimes I'm looking for an egg that is like only 1 of the parents.

I do not breed when the AP is full and I can't keep the result of the breeding. It doesn't really matter whether or not I can keep the result, because if it matches the wrong parent, I know I won't keep the result. And of course, if it is a multiple-egg clutch, it is never possible to keep them all.

I will not contribute to an existing wall: I will breed those those commons that aren't so abundant at the moment. I really don't pay attention to this--see Skauble's post for why not.

I will if at all possible breed sometime between xx.15 and xx.45. Nope. If there's less than 10 or so eggs on the AP at xx.05, I'll breed. Same goes for after xx.45. And if it's Splits that are available for breeding, I'll breed even when the AP is closer to becoming clogged. They're always in demand and the only thing they'll ever produce are Splits.

I will not participate in massbreeds I will participate in the Split mass breed. I don't know that we'll actually get many more Splits out of it because of the auto-balancing, but I'm not worried about throwing a bunch of Splits onto the AP if it happens to work.

I'm semi taking the oath.... :/

I will not breed for breeding's sake: I will breed because I want the result of that breeding or know that there are people who want it.

I breed because I would like someone to get my draggies children... Does that count? I love looking at my draggies children! :3

I will not breed when the AP is full and I can't keep the result of the breeding.

I usually don't even notice when it's blocked... But when it is I just DON'T breed (usually).

I will not contribute to an existing wall: I will breed those those commons that aren't so abundant at the moment.

.... If you're not supposed to contribute to the existing wall then why breed commons at all? Sorry, I just didn't understand this. :/ But I don't breed during AP blocks normally anyway.

.... I breed at random times I don't really know what time.

I will not participate in massbreeds.

Too late...? hehe?

Let's see... I take the oath, as much as I can...

I will not breed for breeding's sake: I will breed because I want the result of that breeding or know that there are people who want it.

I know I want the result of any breeding by my Generation 1 dragons, but the generation 2 ones are usually for my friends - so I can keep this easily.

I will not breed when the AP is full and I can't keep the result of the breeding.

Already done; I like keeping my bred dragons and giving them away to friends or adoption agencies, instead of adding to AP messes.

This part, I might have issues with - I pair my dragons off permanently, but it's almost always rare x common. I can try, though - you DO mean something like 'put off breeding skywings if there's a page of them in the Abandoned area', right?

Already done, although if I'm strapped for time and want to keep the eggs, I'll stray outside of this... But then I'd be keeping the result anyway, so would this count as breaking the oath?

I will not participate in massbreeds

If it coincides with my breeding times, I will end up participating... but then it's not really a mass-breed participation, since I would've bred my dragons anyway...

>_> I'm such an iffy person. Do I even count as a responsible breeder?

I pretty much abide by these rules anyways. I bred during a mass breed for rares once but only dropped one egg and it was a gold from a set of "twins."

Too bad there isn't a spay or neuter option. xd.png

Not to single out your post, Xylene, but it does illustrate an earlier point.

>_> I'm such an iffy person. Do I even count as a responsible breeder?

There are vast and varied definitions of "responsible" in relation to the subject of breeding. Because the original post implies that following the points laid out in this oath makes a person a responsible breeder, it leaves the impression that not using these parameters to breed is, in some way, irresponsible.

I want to be absolutely clear that I don't think that is the intention of the OP at all. But we were talking earlier about how quickly things become absorbed around here and suggestions become rules or implications become facts.

I know that it was said that this oath was, in part, designed to protect breeders, but it seems like the manner in which the term responsible is used here means that breeders aren't going to be protected as much as a new group of people are going to be able to start finger pointing at others who may very well believe that they're being responsible in the way that they chose to breed.

~Sarah~

Edited by skauble