Selina_Catz

The breeding oath

*takes oath and offers gold egg* yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*takes the oath*

I think of this pretty much every time I breed. It gives me the satisfaction of knowing that somewhere, someone gets an egg with a nice, neat lineage. 8Db

*puts hand over heart an nodds* i have never mass bred my dragons though the thought has crossed my mind once or twice...i like to keep the eggs my dragons give me....and really only abandon them when there's a multiple egg clutch or i've forgotten i've already five hatchlings...thats happened at least twice now....Yes i breed my dragons randomly but it will never bother any one if only one or two eggs come from it...besides my dragons dont give me multiples that often...

I'm taking this far too seriously?

I'm not, actually.

It's on the one hand a bit of an awareness campaign for those who don't pay attention to these things and on the other hand it's protection for when people start attacking the breeders about full AP's and wall's of greens, whites, etc.

I think is a very good attempt!

I just end up having two problems: When I breed my metallics for gifting I do not keep the common eggs, I just do not have the space.

And: My couples are set, so I wont not breed a gold with f.e. a mint because there are many mints already. But on the other hand, My breedingstock varies a lot, so its not all one color.

*takes oath*

I've done all that to begin with smile.gif

Except the one time I forgot that when you choose your egg the rest auto-abandon immediately … and I did that when the AP was full. ::facepalm:: I felt so bad.

We can't always be perfect nor can we always know everything.

In plain English: it doesn't matter, added you to the list.

But... what if it's a mass breed of a desired breed?

Then you'd break the mass breeding rule, but you'd still be following the only breed what you'd keep or breeds that people want.

I always only breed for my own needs or when there's a shortage of something (Splits for example)

Of course, I can't keep everithing from a multiple-egg clutch, but I don't get those very often, anyways.

Also, I often take eggs from the abandoned page, so that kindof makes up for it, I guess.

Sure, I already do this mostly. In particular, I always try to breed when the AP is not full... your extra eggs are more likely to find good homes that way.

However, I should point out that this part:

is hard to control for. The reason there are always so many whites and mints piling up isn't because so many people are breeding white-white and mint-mint. It's because people are breeding whites and mints with their rares, or with the common colors there are fewer of. Whites and mints breed well with almost everything. That's why there are so many of them-- they're the byproducts of breeding for the other colors that players really appreciate seeing on the AP.

If I want to breed golds for people, unfortunately it's going to mean a lot of whites, because my golds only produce maybe one or two gold eggs in 10.

You know I used to agree that the whites, pink, purple, and mints on the AP were the results of commons from breeding for metallics, but most of the time they are not. If you pick them up and look, they are usually just randomly bred commons. I think people tend to pick up the metallic bred commons and hatch them out for breeding stock far more often than they do a pink with a mint father for instance.

I have a large scroll and I don't even breed mine much. But when I do I only breed for metallics and only when the AP is not clogged. Most of the time I abandon all the eggs I produce even the rares.

As a noob, I've only bred once.

I'll take the oath so it will apply to all of my (hopefully many) future breeding attempts.

A part of me would like to take this oath were it not for one part.

I will not breed those breeds that have piled up in a wall: I will breed those that are less common or are picked up quickly.

I don't actually think I can currently abide by this. I don't know really, being new, what dragons are less common or picked up quickly because I haven't picked up on it yet through reading stuff. Thus I could almost have to break that to breed any of the ones I currently have, which yes I do like the breeds and want the result of. I'm really not picky and actually like all the dragon types regardless of whether other people do or don't.

EDIT: If someone can tell me either how to work my situation or if mine holds an exception then I'd like to take this, but otherwise it doesn't work.

Edited by beachbeagle

But... what if it's a mass breed of a desired breed?

Then you'd break the mass breeding rule, but you'd still be following the only breed what you'd keep or breeds that people want.

That's impossible: the only way people wouldn't complain is if a Metallic mass breed actually resulted in only metallics.

beachbeagle, it's actually very simple: walls are those breeds which have make up half or more of the eggs on the AP and have done so for some time, generally counted from when they start blocking the cave drop.

A part of me would like to take this oath were it not for one part.

I will not breed those breeds that have piled up in a wall: I will breed those that are less common or are picked up quickly.

I'm really not picky and actually like all the dragon types regardless of whether other people do or don't.

Seconded.

I also like most of the common breeds (some even more than the rares) and I don't see why I should not breed commons.

Of course I want my eggs taken care of, and I do try to make sure someone picks them up - I just don't see why I should limit myselv to only breeding rares or less common Dragons just because the majority of dragcave prefers them.

I often pick up commons from the AP. Why wouldn't others do the same?

*edit* I also think there was something in the game-mechanics that lowered breeding success for those breeds that were already to many of - like, if ther is a wall of Mints in the AP, you'd be less likely to breed another one.

With the rest of the oath I totally agree, though.

Edited by SoraNoRyu

That's impossible: the only way people wouldn't complain is if a Metallic mass breed actually resulted in only metallics.

I never said a metallic mass breed. Just a desired breed.

Splits are a breed picked up quickly last I checked. And you can't get anything other then a split.

Also if you breed a metallic with a christmas (unless this can no longer be done) you can /only/ get metallics.

Not to mention stones are somewhat desired last I saw - and my stone pair tends to give geodes fairly often.

Edited by grinkbunny

I do that too, whenever I need to get some new blood and it's not about breeding commons in general it's about not breeding those commons which are too common at that moment: like when say the AP's been full of whites for days you choose to not breed whites at that moment.

Should I alter it too: 'I will not contribute to an existing wall'?

That would be nice, yes.

In that case, I will gladly take the Oath.

Thats good! Because walls change!

I never said a metallic mass breed. Just a desired breed.

Splits are a breed picked up quickly last I checked. And you can't get anything other then a split.

Also if you breed a metallic with a christmas (unless this can no longer be done) you can /only/ get metallics.

Not to mention stones are somewhat desired last I saw - and my stone pair tends to give geodes fairly often.

You can no longer breed christmas dragon's with metallics.

Experience has led me to believe that people complain at the slightest sign of a wall.

I'll stand by that. It's less restricting and something I can very much agree to.

With that change in place, I'll take the oath. happy.gif Really helpful since I wasn't able to breed before the lag so once breeding becomes re-enabled I'll be following this oath from my first time breeding and onward.