rainface

Hatchlings

Hrkrnrjd....

Zzzzzzzzz....

!!

The Thunder woke with a jolt, panting as he heard a loud noise in the distance. Earlier, he had found a hole in the side of a large rock in the forest, and he had made a makeshift camp out of it to spend the night in. Now here he was, being startled in the middle of the night, not getting needed sleep. Oh well awesome. What in the world is going on up there? He climbed out to see a haze of dust everywhere, one where he could barely see. Holy funyuns! What HAPPENED?! He stayed partially in his hole, scared to high hell. How could he get to clear air? His best guess was to fly straight upwards through the clouds, but even that was risky. With whatever is in those clouds, I might not come out in one piece.

Might as well try?

He hoped hard that he would not be noticed, and climbed up a tree. He found a high enough branch and took off straight upwards, flying through the dust. I need to make it, I NEED to

Without saying anything, a White hatchling got up and left the cave. "Hey, wait!" called Quorran. No one there was giving him answers so he followed her outside to where Artemis and Crusher were standing, a few other youngsters huddled around them. Crusher turned to look at him and forced a smile, "Quorran, I have a favor to ask of you."

Quorrans eyes widened when he saw the smoke and finally understood what was happening. He was still obliged to help however, no forest fire was going to stop him. "Alright, give me your worst." he said, flexing his wings. Now was his chance to redeem himself and gain their trust back.

"Some of ours could be trapped in the fire. I need you to search the area but remain—"

"On it." Quorran said, cutting him off mid-sentence before sprinted off the cliff, diving down and spreading his wings at the last second.

"Well that was quick..." said Artemis dryly.

Meanwhile, in the distance, lost in her own world of burning insanity, Zeditha was completely out of control. It was not a widely known fact, but the Nhiostrife Wyvern had more then just a few screws loose. Her mental decay was gradual over the years, and it always had the same triggering mechanism. Darkness, pitch blackness, all-encompassing and endless cold and bitter blinding emptiness consumed as if by the void itself. There was only one way that Zeditha's addled mind could see to combat that nightmare scenario of hers, and that was to light the world on fire, and bathe it in purifying light, casting the darkness into obscurity. In her darkest moments of mental instability, it made perfect sense, but to onlookers, it was what it was, a rampage of death and pyre.

It would be a long and terrible night, for both the Wyvern, and her victims, as she literally burned herself out, until collapsing somewhere, too exhausted to go on. The pyre consumed forest after forest as it spread and devoured all life in it's path, leaving behind nothing but charred remains of what was once a beautiful plain of life. Zeditha however, was nowhere to be seen, but to those in her area, an unearthly series of shrieks could be heard.

================================

Everything seemed like a blur to the whiptail. The fire, the monster that had attacked them, everything.

He could vaguely detect Enzy and her sibling, but that didn't help the matter much.

They had to get out of the area before the inferno turns them to cinders.

((I am still very much confused. xd.png ))

Edited by Brotato

"He is an....odd fellow." Crusher responded, "But he has the right idea. We can't remain idle for long." Crusher then turned away from the group and walked over to the mountain path, careful not to trip over any curious hatchlings in the dark. "If you-know-who is nearby then I should be able to turn his attention away from here. And you, Artemis, need to get everyone together. Make sure no one wanders too far." he instructed, glancing back at the hatchlings for a moment.

Artemis nodded and looked around. "Alright everyone, stay calm. Let's huddle together so we know who's missing." she called. There was no better time than now to get everyone's name since there were so many new faces.

((To be continued. Someone will notice Seldash probably.))

Edited by Booo

((Scene ref... except I imagine it darker with less fire.))

Quorran soared over the canopy until he reached the spreading fire. The smell of smoke became overwhelming and he took a deep breath before diving into its gloom to begin his search. Seeing a tree still standing, he perched on one of it's branches to get a better look at his surroundings. The thick air made it hard to see, only the moon and crackling embers were there to light the way. "Hey! Anyone here!?" he shouted before entering a coughing fit. He jumped down to avoid suffocating and listened, hoping to hear any signs of life.

~~~

Hearing Artemis, Irah ran outside to join them and stood between her and Rimaline. Seeing the devastation made her heart ache and she began to tear up as she watched the rising smoke. Just then, something flew out of the smoke clouds. "I see something!" Irah blared out, pointing to a dark figure in the sky. As it got closer it looked an awful lot like dragon, but what type was unclear.

Edited by Booo

((Irah spotted Seldash, right?))

"Oh, his name's Quorran," Rimaline realized as the dragon flew off towards the smoke. She was glad that somebody was doing something about the fire. It had died down now, and Quorran they might be able to save someone... if they haven't died from smoke inhalation or had been burned badly, that is.

"I see something!" Irah yelled. Huddling close to Artemis, Rimaline squinted at the figure flying through the smoke. She couldn't quite make out what species it was, but it was definitely a dragon. Rimaline wasn't sure whether it was a threat or not. Her eyes darted back and forth between Artemis and the figure. Ruffling the little feathers that she had, Rimaline inched closer.

Edited by Lily14130

((Right. I'm hoping Esko will post before I go next.))

Inside the cave, Mihari felt a little safer, but he felt more alone. Mihari walked next to one of the cave walls, still able to see outside. Unsure of what else to do, he watched from where he stood. Quorran had already left, and Crusher walked away from the group, saying something to them. "...everyone together. Make sure no one wanders too far," was all Mihari could hear from his distance.

"Alright everyone, stay calm. Let's huddle together so we know who's missing," Artemis called. Mihari sprinted back outside shortly after Irah, feeling safer to be with the others. Mihari preferred this over being inside the cave alone. "I see something!" Irah yelled, looking toward the smoke. Mihari was reluctant to look back at the fire, but his curiosity made him try to find what Irah had seen. It took him a few seconds to recognize it as a dragon, but that was all Mihari could tell.

((Shall we revive this?))

Having not received an answer, Quorran glided a short distance and accidently landed on some still-hot embers. He jumped with a "YEEOUCH!" and furiously fanned his feet with his wings. He cursed profusely under his breath then returned his focus to his surroundings. The smoke was clearing and he thought he saw something move nearby. Quorran treaded closer and called again, barely able to see directly in front of him. Sensing something at his feet, he suddenly stopped short of tripping over whatever it was and looked down; blinking dust from his eyes he saw that it was alive and....pink.

"Enzy? Is that you?"

Edited by Booo

Man, flying through bunches of dust was hard. Not only that, but sounds of fighting still echoed through his mind, and he had no clue if somebody would ambush him. The dust he inhaled scraped his throat, and he coughed some ligtning. Ergh.... His eyes watered, and he kept coughing. Must..get *cough*...to fresh....air... He sputtered, struggling to keep up. Flying through the cloud was NOT a good idea at all! Welp, can't turn back now. His normally carefree attitude was replaced with a panic, a fear that he would choke with dust before getting to fresh air.

But then he flew straight into a clear sky.

He looked under himself to see he had risen above the dust clouds, then coughed with joy. He made it! When he spotted a ledge, he dove for it without seeing other dragons in the area. He crashed into the floor, heaving with relief and coughing out dust. His chest heavily rose and fell, and his entire black hide was covered in the dust. He did not even see the small Royal Blue hatchling jump ten feet in the air when he landed.

-----

Tulvir did not really jump ten feet, but he was sure startled. Ah, ah..... He screeched and ran around in circles, deathly afraid of the new stranger

So much had been happening all at once, all in a matter of a few minutes. One moment, everything had been calm, and the next, there was fire spreading through the forest below, sending up billows of smoke. "What's going on?!" Sky couldn't help but stare at the destruction laid out before him. Weren't some of the hatchlings down there? Galletian? That Whiptail? And that was the least of his problems. Evil Crusher was around. He had to be the cause of this sudden crisis. No other dragon could possibly have let out such a menacing screech as the one he'd heard earlier.

"That...that monster..." snarled Sky under his breath. He felt so useless. Sky wanted to beat the tar out of that wretched Vampire and send him to Hell and yet, he could do nothing about it. That was just how insignificant he was.

However, before he could let himself to be dragged deeper into his thoughts, he snapped out of it when Quorran leaped off the ledge and soared to the forest below. "Wait, what's he doing?!" thought Sky, startled and concerned for the Bright-Breasted Wyvern. The Skywing opened his mouth to call out to Quorran but stopped himself as he realised that the other dragon was too far away to hear him by then. Before he could dwell on it too long, Artemis caught his attention, saying that they should regroup. Agreeing with a slight nod, he turned to make his way to them but stopped again when Irah shouted that she had seen something, followed shortly by a charred-looking dragon crash-landing onto the ledge. Sky stiffened, a growl slipping involuntarily out from him at the sudden surprise, and glared at the newcomer.

It didn't seem quite like an adult, so it was probably just a matured hatchling. "Just how many hatchlings are we going to have flock to us?!" It also didn't seem quite dead yet, as it was hacking out dust. The crashlander must have come from the forest.

"Who are you?" snapped Sky, not liking the current situation one bit. It was just too much for him, too many new dragons in the span of a couple days. His paranoia sensor was ringing alarm bells at him and he couldn't care less about all the new hatchlings who were popping up at random.

<OOC: Sorry if it's crap, haven't written anything for a while now.>

Irah probably should have moved out of the way. It was hard to tell how fast he was coming towards them and where he would land. Luckily Artemis quickly wrapped her tail around Irah—as well as Mihari and Rimaline— out of pure instinct and pulled all three of them out of the way before the anonymous dragon could crash into anyone.

When Sky snapped at him, Artemis let go of the youngsters and trotted forward. She blew some of the dust off the stranger and waited for him to catch his breath.

Edited by Booo

The figure was diving straight towards her! But before Rimaline could even react, Artemis had swept her, Irah, and Mihari safely out of the way with her long tail. Tulvir was running in circles, screaming, which only accelerated Rimaline's little heartbeat. Artemis then let go of Rimaline and the other hatchlings and blew the dust off of the crashed hatchling.

Rimaline slowly crept forward, making sure to stay safely behind Artemis. She peeked her head around Artemis to take a closer look. The dragon was coughing and covered in dust. He was a hatchling with dark scales (although Rimaline couldn't make out the exact color) and pointed wings.

Sky yelped, "Who are you?" at the hatchling, who was still heaving. Rimaline leaned closer, but she was ready to jump away at the slightest threat.

===============================

user posted image=> => => => => => => =>

It has been three days since Zeditha and company had left to find Galletian, but not all of them have returned safely. Quorran, with a little help from Crusher, had managed to find and rescue Galletian along with his sister Enzy, much to the relief of everyone. Unbeknownst to them, Stoneza was there too and helped to distract the vampiric tyrant before he soon withdrew from Stoneza's fight to avoid being claimed by the wildfire.

Since then, Galletian had managed to put himself in one of his stress-induced comas while Enzy was recovering from her head injury under the care of Artemis.

"He worries too much. He's just like that." said Artemis when Enzy asked why her brother kept doing that. "If it's anything like last time I wouldn't worry about it too much."

She went on to say that it was best the two of them not leave Shatterpoint so soon unless they wanted to risk their lives again.

"Just until you two get better, I promise."

Quorran had left the next day like he said he would, but not before thanking Crusher and wishing him luck on his journey. Zeditha and Torque however were still missing and Crusher wasn't going to just wait around for them to show up.

=> => => => => => => => user posted image

Today was sunny and warm, a big improvement from yesterday. Irah was playing by herself outside while occasionally glancing over at Seldash, unsure I what to make of the black Thunder. She had been collecting rocks of various shapes and sizes and was now building things with them while thinking about everything that happened these past few days. A sudden shout from inside then disrupted her reverie, it sounded like Artemis.

"We've already looked for them tirelessly!"

Crusher came marching out with a look of determination. "We've barely even searched the woods just east of here! This isn't something we can just let slip by us." he called back.

It sounded like the two of them were arguing and Artemis's disapproval was evident as she followed him outside and stood in the entrance. "Can't you just rest for once? You haven't even gained all your strength back.

"Nonsense!" retorted Crusher, "I feel better already. And besides, I can get around without flying just fine. Now please, quit pestering me. I can look after myself."

Artemis watched him disappear down the path and huffed in annoyance before going back inside.

Edited by Booo

Meanwhile, beneath Shatterpoint peak amidst the ruined forests and scorched grounds walked one curious pillow dragon, with his pint-sized friend securely seated upon his head. The two looked more grief-stricken than fascinated at the sheer devastation that the demented Nhiostrife Wyvern they'd never met had wrought, not so long ago.

Shakti, of all the places we've been, this has to be the most unpleasant one yet... -remarked the pillow dragon- I can practically smell the pain of the flora and fauna here. Who would do this, and why?

The little dragon atop his head cleared her throat and tapped her friend on the side of the head.

Forest fires happen, Sym. -she rolled her eyes and leaned her head against one claw as the two marched onwards.

Really? -Symaro paused and turned his head to the left, looking at the remnants of what seemed to be a half-melted bolder.

Oh, well. Alright. you got me there. I don't know and I don't care what caused this, Sym we've been traveling for days now. You're falling behind on sleep, you know what that's like for...

I'm okay, Shakti. We'll find a lace soon, mm, preferably not in this region.

The pygmy simply sighed and disappeared into her friend's long mane, like a mouse into it's hiding place.

What a mess, but at least it's an omen to others of my kin nearby. I can't imagine anything else to have wrought such destruction.

Looking over towards the nearby mountain, Symaro considered the possibility of there being a cave of some sort up there. No doubt it would make an excellent place to rest and recover after their days-long wandering around, seeking nothing at all. Sure enough, there was a path leading up towards something. It looked almost artificial in design, as if someone had carved it intentionally to serve a secondary purpose to just leading up to something. Looking upwards, he noticed the ledge jutting out near the very top.

Ah, I see. Let's hope it's vacant. -the pillow dragon thought, as he ascended the path carefully. Soon enough, he'd reached the top...

Edited by Brotato

A short distance from the Shatterpoint peak cave, holding a light blue mana crystal stood Mihari, looking out at the remains of the burned forest. It had been three days since Zeditha had left, with Torque also missing. Since then, the rest of the group had been searching for them without much success. Mihari sighed. He still didn't understand what happened. Why would Zeditha leave them? She had seemed cold sometimes, but she had let him stay at Shatterpoint peak.

Mihari turned and walked along a broad ledge on the mountain, occasionally looking back at the forest. He had spent time exploring around the mountain since the night Zeditha and Torque left. He had explored most of the area around the cave, discovering a few smaller caves on the mountain. He didn't want to wander too far from the cave, so he made sure it wouldn't take more thana few minutes to go back.

Today, he had walked a little farther from the cave, discovering another cave that went deep inside the mountain. He had explored the interior for a few hours before going back, bringing a mana crystal glowing with a light blue similar to Mihari's coloring. He had found it on the wall deep within the cave. Mihari liked that it looked like a similar color to him, so he decided to take it. He was surprised to see the glow hadn't faded when he removed it from the wall. Even while walking back to Shatterpoint peak, it still retained the same brightness it had inside the cave.

About an hour after he left the other cave, Mihari returned to Shatterpoint. When he returned, he saw that Artemis and Crusher were arguing.

"Nonsense! I feel better already. And besides, I can get around without flying just fine. Now please, quit pestering me. I can look after myself." Crusher said before leaving. Artemis went back inside the cave looking annoyed.

Crusher probably left to look for Zeditha and Torque again. But how is he going to do that without flying? Mihari suddenly realized the he was almost a matured hatchling, and should have wings himself soon. It won't be long, maybe in the next few days? Mihari hoped.

Mihari decided to stay outside for a little longer, near the path leading to the base, still holding the mana crystal. After a few minutes he noticed someone climbing up the mountain. Alerted, Mihari stood up, not recognizing who it was. They seemed to be a... pillow dragon? Mihari had rarely seen pillows before, but it wasn't difficult to recognize. They didn't seem to be a threat, so Mihari stood until they reached the top. "Um.., hello?" Mihari said, not knowing that a pygmy was with the pillow.

Rimaline was watching Irah play outside from the shelter of the cave. She was itching to run around, but didn't want to do it in front of everyone. The black thunder hatchling, whose name was apparently Seldash, was nearby. Her mind wandered as she watched Crusher leave the cave. Absentmindedly rolling a pebble around with her claw, she realized, "My wings should grow in any day now. Who's going to teach me how to fly?" The only dragons she had felt comfortable with were Artemis, because of the one moment she had made Rimaline feel safe, and Raven, who Rimaline had not seen in a while.

As her mind wandered, she realized that she hadn't practiced her healing in a long time. Before everything had turned upside down, she had just started learning to heal broken bones, and now she was out of practice. She could barely remember the exact ingredients for a burn-healing ointment. And that was just the practical side of healing. "And what about healing magic? Where am I supposed to learn that? What if I never learn how to channel healing magic ever?" Her heartbeat started to accelerate.

Restless, Rimaline got up and walked over to Artemis. She blurted out, "Could you teach me how to heal broken bones?" Her tail flicked nervously.

Edited by Lily14130

Artemis went to check on Enzy who was curled up asleep next to Galletian. The bandage on Enzy's head looked like it needed to be changed so Artemis began to carefully unwind it so she wouldn't wake her up. That's when Rimaline appeared. "Sssh! Enzy's fast asleep." whispered Artemis, signaling to keep her voice down. She removed the rest of the bandage then said "My magic isn't strong enough to heal bones but that doesn't mean I can't teach you. First you need to tell me what you know already...if anything."

As if on demand, the second Symaro and his tiny friend had reached the cavernous entrance of Shatterpoint Peak, there was someone already there to greet them. Guess not...

On the upside, the hatchling that was waiting for them seemed neither frightened, nor aggressive. Whatever family it belonged to, there was perhaps a possibility of reasoning with them. Hell-AARGH! -Symaro exclaimed when a sudden pain shot through his left ear. He shook his head briskly and realized what had happened when Shakti lost her grip, and tumbled down off of his head, onto his nose, releasing his ear in the process. What was that for?!

Before the pygmy could respond, she hastily retreated back between the locks of Symaro's fur. What are you doing?! Did you see the devastation down there?! What if whatever did that lives up here?!

A exasperated sigh escaped the pillow dragon as he rolled his eyes and shook his head. We don't know that. If you keep assuming the worst, we're never going to get anywhere. With silence being the only response from his pint-sized companion, Symaro glanced back towards Mihari. My apologies, Shakti can be a little edgy around strangers. We were passing through the area and were hoping to find a place to rest and recover. Is, is there anyone else in there? -he glanced towards the cave entrance once more, thinking back to the burned forestlands below them- If so, might I speak to the one in charge?

Edited by Brotato

The pillow dragon Mihari greeted looked slightly dissappointed, as if they weren't expecting other dragons to be there. However, other than that, the pillow didn't seem too bothered by Mihari's presence. "Hell-AARGH!" Symaro cried out in pain when a pygmy dragon suddenly fell onto his nose. Mihari jumped back a step, suprised by the pygmy's sudden appearance."What was that for?!" Symaro said in annoyance, before the pygmy hid in his fur again.

"What are you doing?! Did you see the devastation down there?! What if whatever did that lives up here?!" Shakti exclaimed.

"We don't know that. If you keep assuming the worst, we're never going to get anywhere," Symaro said, before apologizing to the suprised Guardian.

"My apologies, Shakti can be a little edgy around strangers. We were passing through the area and were hoping to find a place to rest and recover. Is, is there anyone else in there? If so, might I speak to the one in charge?" Symaro asked.

Mihari wasn't sure if the other dragons would be okay with him allowing them in Shatterpoint peak. He didn't even know who was in charge since Zeditha left.

"Yes, there are others here, but I don't know who is in charge now. You can ask someone inside the cave," replied Mihari. "Oh, and don't worry about the forest, it wasn't destroyed by anyone who lives here."

Rimaline immediately regretted being so brash, and glanced at Enzy to make sure that the little hatchling wasn't disturbed. The tiny hatchling was fast asleep. She took a deep breath and whispered, "Well, I know how to heal cuts, scrapes, and burns using herbs, and I started to learn how to use magic to heal bones. But I didn't get much practice... at all. So I have no idea how to use healing magic..." She was ashamed. Aren't white dragons supposed to be experts at healing?

There were voices in front of the cave. Mihari seemed to be talking to some other hatchlings who Rimaline didn't recognize: a pillow hatchling and something else in his fur. After looking at them intently, she quickly looked back at Artemis hopefully.

The past few days had left Sky feeling rather restive and he was consistently brooding, watching quietly as the others panicked over the situation, chattered, or argued about petty matters. He'd followed Crusher down into the forest sometimes to help look for Zeditha and Torque but there had been no sign of them. Sky had merely shrugged indifferently while Crusher had stressed about it.

Honestly, Sky was unsure of what to think. He knew that Zeditha was resourceful and she was more than likely to take care of herself so she had to be fine. The Whiptail, on the other hand, he knew barely anything about him as they hadn't really been formally acquainted with each other. In his mind, the most logical thing to assume would be that Evil Crusher had finished them off but that would also be highly unlikely since the others had gotten back safely - or as safe as one could be in EC's presence. Nothing he could do except wait and see. Crusher was constantly looking for them and though he did feel a twinge of concern for the Magi's health, he also knew that the orange dragon was stubborn and the proof was right there in front of him as he watched Artemis and Crusher argue before Crusher stalked off, down the mountain path. Sky merely turned to watch Irah, one side of his mouth curving up into a smile as she put rocks together, building random things of her own creativity. However, not along afterwards, he glanced around as he occasionally did to make sure everyone was there and immediately stiffened at the sight of a stranger right in front of the cave.

It was a Pillow dragon, he realised, although it didn't look as fluffy as he heard Pillow dragons were supposed to be. Mihari was talking to it and the stranger didn't look aggressive so Sky didn't react immediately. He waited a few moments before getting up, stretching a little as he felt his familiar mask of cold and indifference slide over his face. Sky didn't trust strangers and just because this one happened to be fluffier than the rest and didn't seem hostile, it didn't make a difference. Slithering up quietly to Mihari, he stayed behind the young Guardian simply to observe with a piercing gaze. It was only then he noticed the Pygmy buried in the Pillow's fur. Ah. Two strangers then. Wonderful.

"The one who's in charge," Sky spoke up after Mihari, his gaze never leaving the Pillow, "is currently out. Though you can speak with Artemis, the green Shimmerscale over there." The Skywing nodded his head into Artemis' direction but he still didn't break eye contact with the Pillow. Sky had always assumed that Crusher, being the most oldest and mature one of them all, was obviously the one in charge but since he had rushed off on another inevitably fruitless hunt for their missing group members, Artemis was the next best choice.

Edited by Dream_Dragon

Irah sighed and continued her solitary play. Artemis had been getting on Crusher's nerves for a few days now which brought out a side of him that Irah wasn't used to. Why were the two of them arguing now? Artemis had always been there for him when he was injured in battle and they've rarely disagreed with one another. Maybe Crusher was stressed about how many dragons there were and felt that he had to protect them all, but Irah could only guess.

Irah heard someone walking up the path and turned away from her rock collection. Looking over she expected to see Crusher already back, hopeful that he would be accompanied by Torque and Zeditha. But no....she didn't recognize whoever this was. He was a breed she's never seen before, his most notable feature being his thick coat of fur.

This fluffy dragon didn't look or sound dangerous so Irah just sat and observed while Mihari and Sky did the talking. He was being friendly, however, he brought along a Pygmy dragon who didn't seem to be quite as mellow.

((Will do Artemis when I have time.))

I see. -he nodded lightly, glancing between the guardian and his friend. Well, I wouldn't want to impose, I'll just wait out here until the one in charge returns, if you don't mind, that is... -he stated calmly and sat down at the edge where the path to the lands below met the platform to the cave entrance. Pardon my curiosity, but I think my little friend here won't give me a night's rest if we don't find out, so what can you tell me about the one who caused that devastation down there? -he paused, feeling the pygmy dragon shuffle around beneath his fur- Is there a chance of them coming back and doing more of it? Because from what we've seen down there, it won't take much to make this area uninhabitable. Can't really eat burned...

Ha! -Shakti exclaimed and burst out from between his locks atop his head.

Seriously? Food's the issue here? Not, you know, being burned to death?! Do you ever think about anything besides your stomach?!

Symaro paused and glanced upwards momentarily, as if he was contemplating something.

Yes, actually. Sometimes I think about what to put in it. -he jested and patted himself on the belly.

Shakti let off an exasperated grunt and dove back down beneath his fur.

Don't mind her, she gets like this from time to time, but it doesn't last long.

Edited by Brotato