superguy16

Warriors: Return to the forest

[Twinnie, five sentences per post wink.gif Oh, and Chico, is Shine old enough to eat prey yet or is she still nursing? Leopardpelt has milk]

"Of course you can have something to eat," Lightnose purred. The kit looked so thin and hungry. To the kit's question, the medicine cat replied, "RiverClan will treat you as one of its own, I promise." She nosed the young cat gently. "We don't turn away kits - that's part of the warrior code, that we have to protect kits and help any in trouble." Lightnose looked seriously down at Shine. "You'll have to learn the warrior code if you're to stay with us. It's what our lives revolve around . . . but don't worry, your foster mother and your mentor - when you're old enough to be an apprentice, six moons - will teach you about that."

Then the kit scampered off to meet Ninjablade, and Lightnose watched her go. With a start, the wise old medicine cat realized that she didn't know the young she-kit's name. Why didn't I ask her that at first? she thought with a small groan. Sighing, Lightnose inched closer to Ninjablade and the young she-kit, angling her ears forward to hear what they were saying. She was surprised at the tom's uncaring tone and felt a small twinge of satisfaction when the young she-kit snapped back and turned away, even though Lightnose knew she shouldn't.

The long-furred she-cat trotted after the she-kit, catching up quickly with her long legs opposed to the she-kit's short ones. "Hey, where are you going?" the medicine cat asked kindly. "You'll have to stay with me. I'm going to take you to the Clan leader, Jaystar, so he'll know all about our latest arrival." Lightnose winked at the she-kit. "He sleeps in that den right over there." She gestured with her tail and began to lead the she-kit toward the den. As they walked along, Lightnose inquired curiously, "What's your name, anyway? I forgot to ask you when we first met." She lowered her ears slightly in embarrassed apology.

'My name is Shine. Why is Ninjablade so mean?' chirped the weak kit. She liked this medicine cat. She was friendly and helpful. 'Oh, and how should I act around Jaystar?' the kit asked. She didn't want to make a bad impression. Then she put her ears back as she thought about Ninjablade again. What was wrong with that cat?

((eats meat. She's 6 moons))

Edited by Chicogal

[Right. I play Fallingsoul. :3 Now… Falling, Holly, Jay, Dove right? Must… get… posts… ready. Fail Echospirit. It’s not like she’s going to charge into RiverClan camp and say, “Hey Ninjablade.” tongue.gif Currently brain-dead, so apologies for fail RPing posts.]

Echospirit sunk her claws into the smooth, faintly scratched bark. She studied her surroundings, her green and violet eyes smouldering. Climbing trees isn’t all that bad, she mused. From her perch, she could see the squirrel that had just emerged from its den and was foraging and she could also see a sliver of the river, just a ways off. She could also hear the babble of voices that meant a RiverClan patrol was nearby. Involuntarily, her claws cut through the bark with a loud crackling noise. Echospirit instantly tensed and pressed herself against the trunk. A moment later, she straightened again and stepped daintily onto a branch of the neighbouring tree. Even though the pines in ShadowClan were far apart, their branches were long and they almost touched each other. Echospirit hopped to a branch that overlooked the river, skidded down a bit, then carefully edged out over the water. She looked down at the churning depths and shuddered. She could fish decently, but how Ninjablade managed swimming was beyond her. Not that she would admit it or anything.

Jadeshine had darted ahead, her small form slipping between bushes and under low branches. She circled back, finding Thetapaw serenely trotting through the undergrowth. “I thought we were racing?” she asked with a smile. “How about this… let’s see how well you hunt. Just to try out your natural abilities. Go on, I can scent squirrel over there. I’ll be around… but pretend you’re alone.” She flashed another smile, winked, then scaled a tree and vanished into the leaves. Her light green eyes gleamed once, then vanished. There was a faint rustle, then silence. Alright, Thetapaw, let’s see what you can do. Jadeshine cracked a small smile, making sure her teeth didn’t flash in the weak sunlight. She loved being a mentor. Every apprentice was different.

Tawnysky called out, “One other thing.” She looked over at Turnkit. “It’s time for Turnkit to be apprenticed. Turnkit, from this moment on you will be known as Turnpaw. Your mentor will be Foresttrender. Foresttrender, I hope you pass on your courage and hunting skills to your new apprentice.” The pair touched noses. “Congratulations!”

((we are but the form's supposed to be posted in the ooc thread, not the rp thread which is what this is; also, there's a new form that you're supposed to use and that's also in the ooc thread))

[if I might point out, the IC thread clearly dictates you should go to the OOC thread first. There's no reason why you can't see a small line of text describing instructions to join the RP [Go to OOC thread for joining and clans.]. This applies if you are just starting to roleplay and even if it hasn't been edited for awhile, as it's now admined by others. dry.gif Will edit this post with IC.]

Hollyspirit looked over at Rabbitstripe. Unfortunately, he was looking directly at her. Fortunately, he didn't seem to notice and turned away. Unfortunately, he seemed to ignore her totally. Hollyspirit stared at her paws. Did all that time together really mean nothing? There had been a moment or two when it had felt like more than just ordinary friendship, but maybe she'd been mistaken. She stared at the rabbit, her appetite gone. Not that I could have eaten it, anyways. The queens and kits would have eaten first. "Let's keep hunting. I'll just stick the rabbit in the grass over there and then we can keep going." She picked the limp body up and dragged it over to a little whorl of grass, stuck it in, and pressed some thicker pieces over it. She patted it, meowing, "It's a nice place- AH!" Hollyspirit dropped into the ground with a yelp.

[Who does Silverpaw thinks he likes? Was it Hazepaw pretending to be Angelpaw or Angelpaw pretending to be Hazepaw? :3 By the way, Peanut, this would be the start of the secret tunnels. smile.gif]

Edited by Hollyleaf

Turnpaw shyly regarded Foresttrender. " So. What exactly does being an apprentice entail?" she asked in a confident albeit quiet voice.

[Longest post EVER.]

Thetapaw regarded his mentor and sighed inwardly. Pretending was not something he did. He required cold hard facts to be able to accurately judge his next movement. Nevertheless, he decided to humour. It was a logical decision as he would have to socialize with this feline over a long period of time, and such activities were always preferable if at least one of the party was enjoying herself. There was no other reason. Obliging, he ventured forward to attempt his hunting abilities for the first time. After a while he began to notice the scent his mentor had informed him of. Stepping lightly on the pads of his paws, he narrowed down the location of the squirrel to the base of a nearby tree. Moving slowly with a fluid gait, he crept up on the squirrel. He perched himself within pouncing distance of the prey, and waited till its alert was down. Building up energy in his hind haunches, he pounced. The startled squirrel leapt at the sound and began to scurry away. Thetapaw managed to grasp its bushy tail in his paws, but the silky fure quickly slipped through his grasp and the rodent bounded away to a safer location. Thetapaw squashed an ill sensation he refused to identify as humiliation, and patiently waited for his mentor to be told what error he had made in his calculations.

[Pfff playing Spock Thetapaw is somewhat challenging. ]

Ninjablade woke in the middle of the night to the sound of a branch snapping. It was a late patrol returning to camp. Sometimes, old city habits died hard. He stretched himself out and shook the drowsiness out of himself. Unable to return to sleep, a nighttime stroll sounded lovely. He began by heading towards the river, then walking along its bank. He had to admit that there were some things about the forest that enchanted him, such as the way the river glowed at night when it basked in the moon's shine. " Oh god." he muttered aloud. " When did I become a poet?" he chuckled to himself. " Must be getting old..." he muttered under his breath.

[Hee-hee, Thetapaw is funny. |D]

Jadeshine watched closely, her green eyes wide. Good hunting instinct, she noted. Spiritstar had been right. Jadeshine leaped down lightly from the tree, landing with a soft thump. She winced; one of her paws had lisped to one side, making her stumble. She quickly straightened and turned to Thetapaw. "That was a good try for a just-starting apprentice," she praised him. "You moved forward easily, but I think you could sweep your paws over a bit more. Like this." She demonstrated sliding her paws over the leaves. "Straighten your tail; in different areas of the forest, you could brush ferns." She recalled his pounce. "See, you did everything quite well except for the end. When you pounced, you shifted your paws. That alerted the squirrel. Next time, try to adjust your position before you bunch your haunches to jump."

((holly? posteh as Jay please?

"A border patrol sounds good," Streampelt said in reply as her tail flicked a bit back and forth. She then nodded in agreement when she heard the rest of what he said and then her head tilted a bit to the side curiously when he patted the ground uneasily. Does he not feel comfortable around me enough to talk to me? she thought to herself sadly before she heard his last statement. "Okay," she said in reply and then got up and went to the camp entrance. When she got there, she looked over her shoulder once at him before continuing to walk towards the areas the borders to the other clans were.
))

Leafspots smiled, used to Sigmapaw's super-fast talking by now.. "WindClan warriors do run quite fast, to chase the rabbits that are their prey. They don't eat much else, except maybe the occasional vole or mouse. Sometimes when they're really, really desperate. For example, there was this one time when there was a really cold leaf-bare, and the WindClan cats started hunting in a small stretch of woodland on their territory. I'll show you the woodland later, when we get to the border."

Leafspots paused, considering Sigmapaw's questions. "Um, there's not really much else I can tell you about WindClan. I don't know as much about their lifestyle - I've never been on their territory except to travel to the Moonstone when I was an apprentice. All the apprentices have to see it sometime; you will also," the orange tabby added. "But I'm getting off-topic . . . where was I . . . oh, yes, WindClan's lifestyle. Like I said, I don't know as much about them as some other warriors. You might want to ask some of the senior warriors who've been to their camp, or the elders, in your spare time if you wish."

Leafspots scrambled over a log in their path and waited for Sigmapaw on the other side. When her apprentice joined her again, she started to continue down the path and began to speak again. "As for RiverClan? Well, they're really different, that's for sure," the tabby laughed softly. "They eat fish and water voles, and nothing more. I tried fish once, when I was an apprentice," Leafspots added thoughtfully. "It was really gross." She made a face. "I won't be trying THAT again. I have no idea how RiverClan manages to eat that. They even seem to like it.

"I've never been on their territory or to their camp before, but I hear they live among reeds." Leafspots shuddered slightly. "And they swim like fish, apparently. That's just not natural for cats." She shuddered again, then brightened and turned to smile at Sigmapaw. "Here we are," Leafspots announced dramatically. "The WindClan border."

Edited by Stunningfire

(ekk I'm alittle late. Sorry was grounded for a lil while but I'm back now, recap in occ please?)

Foresttrender purred touching noses with Turnkit after words hearing her question he whispered "I'll show you the best places to go in the seasons, for prey or just a light nap outside of earshot after your duties. Being a apperentice is a bit like a warrior, you'll help out with the elders, my mother will be easy on you though she's alittle more even tempered than her denmates." He looked around. "though for now you'll have to hold your vigial. I'll stay up all night too only in the warrior's den. That way you won't be the only one up how's that sound?"

Rabbitstripe realized a moment too late that Hollyspirit had been looking at him when he glanced over and that it must have been very rude to look away. Oops. The WindClan deputy rapidly glanced back again but now the she-cat was looking down at her paws, which made him feel doubly miserable. Ah, well - Hollyspirit started speaking and Rabbitstripe hurriedly turned toward her again to listen. "Fine with me," the tomcat purred, happy despite what happened earlier.

It was just very easy to be himself with Hollyspirit. She was kind, funny, and most of all, treated him just like himself. Most of the other cats in WindClan treated him with respect and just a little awe because he was the Clan deputy, but he wanted to be treated as if he were just, well, Rabbitstripe. Hollyspirit was one of the few cats who actually did so, but that wasn't the only reason he liked her . . . now he gazed over at her, dutifully dragging the rabbit over to bury it somewhere in the grass.

Why DO I like Hollyspirit so much? Rabbitstripe wondered as he waited for her. Well, she's pretty, for a start, he said to himself thoughtfully. And nice, and funny. She's a great WindClan warrior, fierce in battle, and very loyal to her Clan and the warrior code. Look at her now, even, the WindClan deputy noted. The way she's patting in the rabbit, saying that it was a nice place . . . suddenly Hollyspirit broke off in the middle of her sentence with a yelp. Rabbitstripe leaped to his feet in surprise, eyes widened with shock and worry, as Hollyspirit simply . . . disappeared into the ground.

"Hollyspirit?" No reply. Rabbitstripe became even more worried and trotted over to the place she disappeared, being very careful where he put his paws. "Hollyspirit!" Carefully, the WindClan deputy leaned over a small hole next to the place she had hid the rabbit, realizing that the small burrow opened up into a tunnel that was large enough so that a full-grown cat could fit into it. "Hollyspirit?" Rabbitstripe called one more time. Hearing no answer, he decided to muster up his courage and go down after her. There was no way he was leaving a fellow Clanmate in danger. Who knew what lived down there?

"Hang in there, I'm coming down for you," the WindClan tomcat called as he inched carefully into the hole. His voice echoed strangely in the dirt walls of the tunnel and he padded carefully down. The mud was slick after recent rains, and he could see that Hollyspirit probably slipped down most of the steep way.

With a quiet entrance, Streakpaw came into the camp with a rabbit. She put it onto the fresh-kill pile without a word. She sat down near the entrance to the camp, staring down at her paws again. She was, as usual, closed to everyone. The white apprentice looked up at the sky, gazing at the clouds. Her tail curled around her paws, her yellow eyes staring at the sky.

Jaystar trotted after Streampelt absent-mindedly, just catching himself before setting a marker on a random piece of driftwood. He blushed, hoping Streampelt hadn't noticed and gazed out over the lake. Why must I always become a bumbling fool when I am around Streampelt? He shook his head sadly. "Oh look, we're at the border for ShadowClan," he meowed, looking up as he tasted the foul scent of ShadowClan. Then he winced because that was a feeble comment. "Uh... how about you start down there and we can work our way towards each other?" He set a marker down quickly and moved on to the next one. What if she thought I was too abrupt? he wondered, setting another marker. These markers are really stale, he noted, reminding himself to send out more border patrols in the future.

Hollyspirit skittered down the gentle slope, paws flailing on the mud. Dirt flew up in a cloud around her, settling on her fur and making her look like she'd just aged another hundred moons or so. Hollyspirit rolled down the last mouselength and hopped back to her paws. She shook herself and jumped out of the way as Rabbitstripe landed behind her with a thump. "What is this place?" she wondered aloud. She looked around curiously. "It's like an underground cave." She tasted the air, her nose twitching wildly. "There's no scent of any badgers or foxes." Her tail lashed the air suspiciously as she spun in a circle. "Then what is this place?" Then she realized she'd been ignoring Rabbitstripe. Hollyspirit bounded back over and poked him. "What do you think?" She leaned casually against a rock wall covered in lichen and topped through it.

Hollyspirit clawed her way back through the veil of lichen with a sheepish smile on her face. "I guess there was a tunnel," she mewed unnecessarily, ripping the remaining branches to pieces. A gaping hole appeared. Hollyspirit peered down it, noting the small shafts of light shining through. It was really quite bright down there... but then the tunnel bent to one side and she couldn't see anything. And then... there was another tunnel branching out from halfway down this one! This could be a whole network of tunnels!

Streampelt looked out at the lake before turning her attention to the ShadowClan border that Jaystar pointed out to her. "That we are," she said as she looked at it. "I hadn't really noticed that we had gotten this far before you said something." She then nodded in reply to his question and then went in the opposite direction of him, marking the trees and bushes in that area. Why did I say what I did earlier? she thought to herself as she continued to mark the border. I'm such a mouse-brain sometimes. He must think that I'm stupid or something.

Edited by Dragonpelt

I'm good,' said Reekit. 'Sawkit, did you know I'm gonna be an apprentice soon?' he asked the other kit. He jumped up to catch a falling leaf. 'See? I'm practicing my reflexes for when I'm a warrior,' he said, proudly. Then he started chasing leaves all around the camp. He leapt, and twisted in the air. Then he remembered that warriors didn't catch leaves. He sat down calmly. 'I would like to be a warrior soon,' he said, sophisticatedly.

Sigmpaw gazed in wonder across the border. " It doesn't look too different. I can sort of see how there are less trees in the distance. You think one day I'll be able to see their territory? Oh, it'd be so cool! I wanna meet someone from another clan! When do you think I'll be able to go to the gathering? When IS the next gathering? There hasn't been one for a while. At least, not that I remember." she gushed. She felt comfortable around her mentor and didn't even bother trying to supress herself.

Sawkit snorted and huffed, " Right. Then the next thing you know you'll come crawling right back. You better be careful. No telling what could happen. There are poisonous snakes and mushrooms, badgers, foxes, eagles, OTHER clan cats. Why, at your size you could fall into a rabbit hole and never be able to get out!" he exclaimed. " You better watch out and learn your plants too. No telling what sort will snag you and keep you forever. And the wolves! Starclan forbid we ever get wolves in our territory. You never know, though. Those stinking two-legged trash-eaters. Leaving their waste everywhere. The forest is filled with danger and disease wrapped in darkness." he finished. Secretly, he felt quite warm inside. It disturbed him greatly that he found pleasure in worrying over others.

Edited by Ladynightstalker101

Lightnose smiled at the young kit. "It's nice to meet you, Shine." The smile wavered a little bit. "You do realize, though, that when you join RiverClan - IF you join RiverClan, that is - you'll have to change your name? It won't be drastic, since you're about . . . five to six moons, am I correct?" Lightnose eyed the kit - Shine - and nodded. "Yes, I think you're about around that age. Anyway, you're almost ready to be an apprentice and start learning how to be a warrior with the other apprentices, but until then Jaystar will change your name to Shinekit.

"Once you become an apprentice, Jaystar will give you your own mentor, who will guide you through the process of learning how to become a warrior and teach you the ways of the warrior code. It'll be a little bit harder for you since you aren't Clan-born, but you'll catch up soon, don't worry." Lightnose smiled, then realized she was getting off-topic. Curse my old, wandering mind, the medicine cat thought grumpily. "Ah, where was I? Oh, yes - names. When you're an apprentice, you'll be Shinepaw. You'll change your name one last time when you're a warrior; Jaystar will choose the last part for you."

Lightnose paused, considering what Shine had said after she introduced herself. Why WAS Ninjablade so mean? "I don't know," Lightnose admitted honestly, softly, after a while. "Some cats just prefer to keep to themselves. Don't push him - it won't do if you're to have a good place in the Clan." The medicine cat lowered her voice further. "Some cats will treat you like dirt just because you're not Clan-born. Ignore them; they just aren't sure of themselves. I know you're a strong, young she-cat already. You'll be a great addition to our Clan, I just know it."

Lightnose leaned back and relaxed, her voice returning to its regular volume as she meowed, "How to act around Jaystar? Hmm. Well, treat him with respect as you would any older cat. He's kind, but sincere and strict. Just don't offend him in any way, and make sure he knows that YOU know his rank." She smiled at Shine encouragingly. "Sometimes Jaystar can be scatter-brained, but don't worry - I'll make sure he grants you a place in the Clan."

[sorry didn't see your post, Chico - Rabbitstripe next, then Leafspots.]

'Thank you, Lightnose,' replied Shine. 'When will we see him?' she said, looking up at Lightnose with big blue eyes. Shine was nervous about meeting Jaystar. But she wanted to meet him. 'I want to be an apprentice as soon as possible,' she said, licking her fur. 'I don't want to be cooped up somewhere for too long,' she said, her eyes shining cheekily.

Reedkit:

Reedkit was a bit taken aback. 'But that's the fun of it!' he yelped, laughing. He wondered why this kit was like this. Ah, well. It was just him. 'So, when will YOU be an apprentice?' he asked, smugly. 'I bet I'm gonna be one before you!' he teased.

Sawkit shrugged. " Good for you. I'll be an apprentice when I become apprenticed. No rush here." he stated. " I'm not really cut out for the prowling and stalking about." he elaborated, trying not to sound too monotone. " So what part of being an apprentice are you most excited about?" he asked, making small talk as he trotted over to the base of the fresh kill pile and picked out a small mouse.

Reedkit:

'Well, we can finally get out of this camp! Then we can at last stretch our legs! Then we can hunt, and feel proud of catching prey. We can fight, and learn how to fight,' he finished proudly. 'But anyway, first I need to become an apprentice,' he replied, shrugging. 'And I have no idea when that's going to be.'

Frostpaw happily walked through the forest. Familiar scents filled her nose. She nodded to the trees. The scent of a dead squirrel floated in the air. "GUH!" Forstpaw fell back ward. "GROSS!" she said as she avoided the rotting animal. She walked on, towards the river.

Creamkit yawned. She stretched her warm fur. Creamkit stuck her head out the door. Her small yellow nails dug into the soft ground.

Stormpaw sunned himself on a rock. Memorys flooded him. "Over there i played with them." Them meaning Honeypaw Sootpaw. Then they where all kits. He sighed. Stormpaw missed them so much.

"Are you . . . sure it's abandoned?" a moment later Rabbitstripe cursed himself for asking that. Of course Hollyspirit was sure - she was one of the best hunters in the Clan and had a great nose. No doubt she now thought he was stuck-up and conceited, but hey, in his defense, you could never be too careful. Rabbitstripe sucked in a deep breath, letting air linger over his scent glands. Yup. She was right. Not that he expected anything else. "This is great," he purred.

Rabbitstripe glanced around, eyes widening as he took in the vast expanse. Gosh, and this was abandoned! It would have been a perfect den, or even a hiding place. The deputy imagined himself as leader leading his Clan down here, running along the tunnels, unknown to the Clan above them . . . and then, boom - they were out, surprising a patrol. Attack! Rabbitstripe smiled. Not only would this be a great way to surprise attack another Clan, it would be a great meeting place.

The tunnels were vast, but completely hidden from the world above. He and Hollyspirit would be able to come here often and talk without fearing that they were being overheard. He imagined himself training apprentices here in secret. WindClan would have the ultimate advantage with these tunnels. Rabbitstripe's eyes took in everything, sweeping the sturdy roof and swift river running through, then returned to Hollyspirit.

"Come on, let's go explore! These tunnels could stretch all over the place, for all we know!"

Leafspots was warming up to Sigmapaw's rapid-fire way of talking now, and smiled patiently at her apprentice. She rather admired Sigmapaw's enthusiasm about everything, actually. "It's rare that we go on other Clan's territory, since the warrior code says we cannot trespass or steal prey, but we do cross WindClan's territory while going to the Moonstone. When you're a little bit older you'll travel there. All apprentices have to see it before they become a warrior.

"Other times, a leader can send some senior warriors and maybe a few apprentices - it's good for their experience - to another Clan to give them a message. This can be dangerous and risky, though, as you don't know if the other Clan will receive you with welcome or hostility. These times are very rare, as we only send messages when it's extremely urgent."

Leafspots paused to take a breath. She glanced at Sigmapaw to make sure her apprentice was taking this all in, then started to speak again. "As for the next Gathering, it will be soon. The moon is almost full - when it is a full moon, we will go meet the other Clans." She smield warmly at Sigmapaw. "Don't forget, you have to be quiet and listen to what the leaders say," she teased lightly.

[Phew. Lightnose next.]

Edit: Chico why'd you delete your post? o.O

Edited by Stunningfire