Alec

WoW - World of Warcraft

Here I am hoping Legion is the last expansion for WoW. I really want Blizzard to set their eyes again on RTS/Singleplayer games, but that's just me.

The sheer number of quests can be overwhelming sometimes, and once you hit 110 the NPCs seem to be a little too overtuned. Until I got to Suramar I came close to dying a lot, but before hitting 110 I had no problems at all. Suramar City is absolutely beautiful, but the sheer number of guards makes it extremely easy to get zerged when doing some of the "solo" quests. Overall though, I really like it. It's been a very good expansion so far. (Better than WoD, for sure.)

my favorite place was val'sharah, that cutscene at the end made me cry because i've got a lot of feelings for night elves and tyrande specifically

Loved Val on principle as a druid, especially that cutscene (adored the nod to Dragonheart especially), but I found Malfurion's voiceovers insufferable toward the end.

Mighty druid, fought the Nightmare, suppressed an elemental lord to be killable... literally whines for his wife. I just... :|

A+ writing in general though. Seeing Tyrande's character development firsthand as a Hordie was refreshing.

Edited by Lythiaren

I like it. The only real gripe I have is that they screwed Hunter pets to a point where there are some that you absolutely cannot use under any circumstances because they have no Pet abilities.

Otherwise, yeah, just fine.

EDIT: I just realized the worst thing about this whole Hunter Pet issue. I can't troll the raid effectively with a Shale Spider; I have to wait until the tank pulls so he can have nothing in his ear but SCREEEHEHHEHEHEHEEEE...

Edited by DarkShinyLugia

Cannot wait for The Nightmare raid to come out..... lets finally put an end to the nightmare biggrin.gif.

If anyone sees Vuluua-Ravencrest that is me..........

nearly lvl 105 as of this post, damn maintenance........

Also, my BNet thing is zorua9 if you want to add me to your friends list (PM me here yours if you did send me a request so I don't decline).

Edited by zorua9

Still working on my ailvl. I'm at 837 right now, though, I'm going through Mythic+ Dungeons today, so let's hope that I can get something that I can use to bump up my ailvl further.

Finally hit 840 myself last night. World quests have not been kind, I kept getting set pieces that were lower ilvl than my class hall pieces, and the wrong-stat trinket bug. =_=

Still need purple rings, too. Bleh.

Edited by Lythiaren

I did my first Mythic dungeons (ever) last night. Though, I only did one of the four that I had quests for. I even have a keystone for one of the three that I didn't do, so I'm holding out to see if my friends are willing to go through them. They went raiding last night, but I got no invite. :/

Edited by Lightstorm12000

The new Expansions has been announced "Battle for Azeroth" (or BFA/B4A for short). please, let it not suck XD

I can see that there hasn't been a post here for a while... BFA caused a lot of loyal WoW-players to stop. I still play, and I was wondering if there's more people out here that do, and who would maybe like to do some stuff together in-game :)

I subscribed about a month ago, been out of the game ever since the BFA pre-patch dropped. I know a lot of people hate this expansion but it's been pretty fun for me so far, I'm enjoying myself just fine. Finally got BFA Pathfinder part 1 a few days ago, eagerly waiting for patch 8.2 to drop so I can start working on Pathfinder part 2 to unlock flying! :)

I've been considering playing WoW again. I stopped in 09 because of school picking up for me, but looking back at it now I feel like I will have a very hard time getting back into things. Even if I start new, I'm not sure that the process for a new player to level up is very engaging anymore. Is it still possible for a new player to get the most out of all of WoW's content, or am I going to be rushing to the end to try and have any fun?

Anyone have any input?

@BrazenChase I myself started somewhere around late-Burning Crusade since I remember the pre-Wrath of the Lich King Scourge invasion event. The game as it is now is very different compared to the old days, like classic zones and questlines have been totally revamped and the game itself has been streamlined and simplified by a lot. I don't know if I prefer the old version or this current one since I was never a hardcore player, I was just a little kid when I started playing so my memories are rather hazy and painted with nostalgia. If you got some money to spare, you could give modern WoW a try just to see if you like it.

Good to see some replies! I myself started during WoD, I enjoy the group activities most of all. Unfortunately my guild is dead since BFA and since one of our guildies died a few months ago... So that's been a bummer. But I met the love of my life on there so WoW will always have a special place in my heart!

Next week the Kul Tirans will come out, they start at lvl 20. So if you want to level a character together, I'll be happy to join you!

Definitely going to roll a Zandalari druid, I just love their unique druid forms. :wub: I've mained a feral (cat) druid since 2009, played a lot during Wrath of the Lich King and a decent amount during Cataclysm, mostly skipped Mists of Pandaria and played a bit more during WoD and a lot more in Legion -- it's my favorite expansion so far!

I've got characters of almost all classes at 110, minus death knights since I'm not a huge fan of their lore. In the past I've been mostly a Horde player, during Legion I race-swapped some of my old characters to Alliance but in BFA I feel a lot more like playing Horde again. I guess I'm a Hordie at heart, ha ha. :D My brother introduced me to this game many years ago, I remember sitting next to him and watching him run some classic Vanilla raids with his guild -- we even made a private guild of our own, and while my brother hasn't played WoW seriously in years now, I invited my friend to join our little private guild.

Right now I think I'll stay subbed for a little longer, I've always been the kind of "on again, off again"-player, I play the game for a month or two and then go on a several month break, and then resub for another month or two again when the itch to play comes back. Can't wait for patch 8.2 so I can really get to exploring Zandalar and Kul Tiras by flying.

@Sazandora

Thanks so much for your reply! Is there much of a story or clear progression to follow, or is it still a lot of wandering around and figuring it out? I since went to FFXIV where I always had a very clear idea of where I needed to be at most times. It's nice not feeling too lost in things since I often have to play alone.

I'm not much of a hardcore person, I usually like to do side quests and collect mounts and other unique items a lot of the time.

Is it easy to follow the story without having to buy supplementary books and such or nah?

@BrazenChase In the Vanilla areas they've made a lot of the areas scale in level, with a minimum level for entry, so there's a lot of choice for where you can go. There is also an 'adventure guide' tab these days that you can use to find an area that would be good for you to visit next. They've also made it so you can do either Wrath or BC directly after Vanilla, so you can choose a bit there (BC is/was notorious for being a bit of a slog, but I always liked it well enough). Cata has several different zones to choose from, and for the most part you can pick your poison to play through that, and so on and so forth. Blizz has definitely gone out of their way to let players go about leveling in their own way, wherever they like--which is very different from the FFXIV story quests. That said, within single zones, following the breadcrumbs is fairly easy.

They've also consolidated things like mounts, non-combat vanity pets, transmog appearances (basically glamour), and toy items, so there's plenty to collect. For the most part, this is all account-wide. They also made the vanity pets into a little Pokemon-esque game, so not only can you use the ones you get as drops, but you can also go out and catch pets in the wild.

As for the overall story of the game, having read the books or played the Warcraft games is not necessary to figure out the bulk of what's going on. There may be a few characters you might not know or recognize, but if said character is *significantly* important to the story as a whole, there's generally some sort of in-game way to find out why that character is important. I say this as someone who not only owns a lot of the books, but as someone who plays on an RP server and is actively lore-conscious. Much of my main-lore information comes from WoW and (for background purposes) the Warcraft games, with the novels filling in minor information and giving extra information on topics not deeply explored in the game (for a fairly recent example, the book Illidan gives information about what Illidan Stormrage was up to during the events of/leading up to BC, and talks more about the Demon Hunters as a whole, which makes it a nice resource for Demon Hunter role players.)

Sorry if that ended up being a long tangent, but I hope some of that information will be useful :3

@BrazenChase 

If you want to know more about the lore, I always try to watch Nobbel87's video's on YouTube!

@Sazandora

Oh that's great!

I play Alliance mostly, but I also enjoy to play on my horde characters from time to time! My main has always been a Draenei Arcane mage, in the past couple of years I've added a Worgen Warrior and a Night Elf Monk to the mix. But it takes me a long time to learn a new class, so I try not to play too many different ones. I want to make a Kul Tiran Shaman next I think!

14 hours ago, BrazenChase said:

@Sazandora

Thanks so much for your reply! Is there much of a story or clear progression to follow, or is it still a lot of wandering around and figuring it out? I since went to FFXIV where I always had a very clear idea of where I needed to be at most times. It's nice not feeling too lost in things since I often have to play alone.

I'm not much of a hardcore person, I usually like to do side quests and collect mounts and other unique items a lot of the time.

Is it easy to follow the story without having to buy supplementary books and such or nah?

I've only just started in FFXIV (I'm leveling through Heavensward right now), so my ability to compare them is fairly limited, but I have been playing WoW since the end of Cata (I joined about a month before the end-game raid was released).  While there hasn't been a massive number of side quests since Wrath (or weren't before the current expansion) it's always pretty clear about where you need to go, and there's never a need to raise your level to a certain point to continue with the story.

Leveling itself is actually much easier than it was even back in WoW.  With enough time you can easily hit level 120 somewhere between a week or a month.  As said before, every Vanilla zone scales to you level up to 60 with a minimum entry level so you never miss out on exp if you want to see the zone's story, but out-level it, and you can start either BC or Wrath content at 58 if you want.  What wasn't mentioned is that at 80 you can do either Cata content or MoP content.  Most of the people I know opt for the latter since it does have more of a cohesive story than the Cata zones did (also, most people HATE Vashj'ir).

WoD content is the only issue you'll likely have.  They somehow really messed up the level scaling for the NPCs on Draenor, while you're more or less fine at lower levels, the closer you get to 100, the harder it gets to survive large groups of enemies or even rares.  Before long, you're not even able to take on two enemies at a time without running away.  I've heard that it's much easier if you run through it as a tank or healer, but I haven't tried it yet.  As a general rule, most people use the trick where you drink a potion that increases the rate you gain exp and then fly around looking for treasures.  Sadly, you won't have Draenor Pathfinder, so you'll need someone with a two-seater to fly you around for an hour until you hit 100 and can start Legion.

Legion and BFA content is probably the easiest since you can run through the zones in any order that you want since they completely scale to your level.  The only difference is that to start another Legion zone you have to complete the main story in the zone you're already in, dungeon and all (though the dungeon quest flags you for a near-insta-queue, even if you're DPS, so there's that), whereas BFA let's you quests how you want, wherever you want no matter what you're doing.

Edited by Lightstorm12000

Thank you all so much for the replies! This is all great information, and helps a lot. Once I have more money free to spend, I think I'll give things another spin. 

I tend to really enjoy getting into a game's lore, so getting back into it and poking around should be a lot of fun if there's a lot to see, and it's not gated behind books and comics to make sense as some other things have been (Hi, Dragon Age). 

2 hours ago, BrazenChase said:

Thank you all so much for the replies! This is all great information, and helps a lot. Once I have more money free to spend, I think I'll give things another spin. 

I tend to really enjoy getting into a game's lore, so getting back into it and poking around should be a lot of fun if there's a lot to see, and it's not gated behind books and comics to make sense as some other things have been (Hi, Dragon Age). 

If you’re real keen on lore, I recommend trying out an RP server! I find it to be a fun way to engage the lore and be creative at the same time. I would recommend doing research on the different servers, but I’ve heard good things about Wyrmrest Accord when it comes to lole-faithfullness.

58 minutes ago, Rosastrasza said:

If you’re real keen on lore, I recommend trying out an RP server! I find it to be a fun way to engage the lore and be creative at the same time. I would recommend doing research on the different servers, but I’ve heard good things about Wyrmrest Accord when it comes to lole-faithfullness.

Yeah, that sounds really fun to me! I'm a big RPer in FFXIV with as many alts as I'm allowed to have because I just can't stop making new characters and telling their stories in Eorzea. I'd love to be able to do the same if I get into WoW again. RP and PvE are my thing in MMOs, I'm not much of a PvPer.

Thank you all again for the input, I find it really helpful. Figured asking on the Blizz forums I might get a more biased response so this has been great.