arlymaye

TERMINOLOGY

Can you explain the something C something lick my 3ggs! and PLEASE WARN ME? Their definitions are just the phrase they're supposed to be defining (if you could follow that, but I can't think of a better way to... wait. The definition of PLEASE WARN ME is please warn me. Same with C|lick (or whatever it is) my 3ggs!) I'm confused...

Also:

Weirdo--someone who read this entire guide word for word for the heck of it (i.e me!) LOL tongue.gif

agmonster

The physical personification of the lag experienced in the cave. First appeared

on March 17th, 2009, causing users to suffer extreme excruciating pain waiting for the cave to load. Since it's appearance, many users have rallied behind the creation of a lagmonster dragon. The lagmonster thread can be found HERE.

It's missing an 'L'. :3

Also new word: Teleport

The BSA for Magis/orange dragons. This BSA is used to trade with other people.

New word: IRC

Stands for Internet Relay Chat. It is a chatroom. Dragon Cave's IRC is found here.

Bump, for new members to view.

LiT isn't really needed any longer since we now have teleport. Maybe (defunct) beside the entry might help?

New Words (I didnt see them but I might have just skipped over them)

TPAM Stands for The Person Above me, refering to the post prevuse to yours.

TPBM STabds for the Person Below Me, refering to the post dirrecly after yours.

EQ Earth Quake, the BSA for green/pebble dragons in whih it gives all eggs a possable chance at hatchling or dieing or no change at all.

TOD Time of Death, the exact time (ussualy down to the minnute) at whitch an egg or hatchling runs out of time and dies.

Edited by libby2999

Even-Generation Lineage / Even-Gen / EG

A dragon where all originating/caveborn dragons in the lineage are in the same generation. (For example, a third generation dragon would have a dragon for all four grandparents, and no great grandparents.)

Stairstep Lineage

A dragon whose lineage continues in a stair-like shape, with one parent of the same gender in each generation being a caveborn dragon.

Spiral Lineage

A dragon whose lineage continues in a spiral-like pattern, with one parent of alternating genders in each generation being a caveborn dragon.

Not sure if there's a better way to word that, but it should be added since they're becoming more popular.

Getdragon code/link

A link that when clicked on/typed in allows a user to adopt an abandoned or caveborn dragon.

** You may still see this reference in some fansites but since the server changes, the correct link to adopt abandon dragons is now http://dragcave.net/abandoned/**** (CODE)

Derp derp, catching like this was disabled with teleport. o3o

Unless I'm misunderstanding what the definition is saying. x3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

What does "Offspring" mean? blink.gif

Offspring means children. ^^

Why isn't this in the help section of the forum? @.@ It would help so many people. (Or, why isn't there a copy of this there?) Just a "Terminology Help thread"?

The SD rules and guidelines (pinned topic.) has a link to this topic.

Reposting for some help?

-----

I am in the process of editing earlier entries to reflect the most current game play and cave changes. I may have missed a few so if anyone is free and able, do post to this thread with any edits that you may want to do. Below are a few that would need to be redefined or perhaps taken out since it may not be relevant anymore. Please discuss/edit and let me know.

Auto abandon-(original description - needs revision!)

What will happen if you breed more than one egg. You can only keep one. The others will vanish from your scroll and automatically be abandoned on the next hour, without you having to abandon them.

Bouncing- Relevancy?

Snagging an emergency egg [typically one with less that two days left] from the abandoned page, then abandoning it as soon as it gets the extra day added to it instead of posting it on DCF or some other website to hatch it. A practice that can annoy more seasoned members of the DC collective.

Catch-Relevancy?

To catch/To help catch

The term used when another person (or group of people) try to get eggs from a multi-egg clutch, with the intent of returning them to the breeder. Breeders enlist them to catch eggs if they want to keep more than one egg in a clutch. This is considered a risky move, as it involves two chances for the trade to be intercepted.

Emergency-Revision?

This depends mostly on the site or community you happen to be on. Most communities do not consider an egg or hatchling an "emergency" unless it has 2 days or fewer to grow up. However, some are as strict as requiring 1 day or less, and others are as lenient as classifying anything with 3 days or less as an emergency."

Held Eggs-Revision?

Eggs that have been produced by a breeder, but not dropped yet. Generally, a breeder will message a getcode to those interested in acquiring such an egg and then "drop" (in this case, select another egg to keep) the eggs at a prearranged

time.

Also, there have been a few other terminologies that have have been concocted since the last thread update smile.gif Here's a few that I could think of and you can all help me describe them and post back here or contribute any new terms that you have come across and would like them to be included.

• Spriter's Alt

Blood Swap

Ratio (not exactly new but we don't have a description for this?) tongue.gif

Wishlist

Dimorphism

Sprite Replacement

Autoaccept (yes, some peeps have no clue what that means in trading)

Egglocked

Ok, that's all my brain can come up with at almost 2 in the morning. Thanks for all the help!

Also, there have been a few other terminologies that have have been concocted since the last thread update smile.gif Here's a few that I could think of and you can all help me describe them and post back here or contribute any new terms that you have come across and would like them to be included.
  • Spriter's Alt

Blood Swap

Ratio (not exactly new but we don't have a description for this?) tongue.gif

Wishlist

Dimorphism

Sprite Replacement

Autoaccept (yes, some peeps have no clue what that means in trading)

Egglocked

Ok, that's all my brain can come up with at almost 2 in the morning. Thanks for all the help!

Spriter's Alt: A special recolor of a dragon given to a spriter; reserved only for holiday releases.

Blood Swap: A swap for an egg of the same generation and lineage (usually) that would bring new dragons into a lineage in order to keep the line from becoming inbred.

Wishlist: A list of things someone is wishing for.

Dimorphism: Dimorphism refers to differences between male and female dragons; for example, silvers are dimorphic.

Sprite Replacement: The replacement of sprite(s) for various reasons.

Autoaccept: In trading, if a person says an item is an "autoaccept," it means that if they get an offer of that item it will not be turned down.

Egglocked: Locked with eggs. Each trophy has its own limit of eggs and if you hit that limi, one is egglocked.

====

Revision for an existing term:

Auto abandon

This will happen if you breed an egg when you are already locked with eggs. The egg you breed will be automatically sent to the AP because you don't have any room for it.

With multiclutches, which are confined to holidays, you are only allowed to keep one egg from the clutch. If you don't choose an egg after a certain amount of time (what is the time limit anyway?) all the eggs will auto abandon to the AP for others to catch.

Edited by Infinis

As far as I know the time limit for choosing an egg is 30 minutes.

How about "EG" for "even generation"? I don't believe I've seen that in the past pages or list.

I think there's a term floating around somewhere for a teleport that's a trade but is used for gifting (i.e. Bob wants to gift something but is out of teleports, so Joe starts a trade with a randomly caught AP egg. Bob then puts his gift as an offer to the trade, and when the trade is accepted Bob simply re-abandons the AP egg).

I came to this thread looking for the term, because I wanted to use it and couldn't remember it, and didn't find it, so if anyone knows what I'm talking about I think it would be worth adding.

What about terms like "thuwed" (= dragons descended from dragons on TJ09's scroll) and other lineage terms?

Suggestion: Pinned this topic, please... It's VERY helpfull. Thanks to everyone who helps here ^^.

I think there's a term floating around somewhere for a teleport that's a trade but is used for gifting (i.e. Bob wants to gift something but is out of teleports, so Joe starts a trade with a randomly caught AP egg. Bob then puts his gift as an offer to the trade, and when the trade is accepted Bob simply re-abandons the AP egg).

I came to this thread looking for the term, because I wanted to use it and couldn't remember it, and didn't find it, so if anyone knows what I'm talking about I think it would be worth adding.

Were you thinking of a "Dummy Trade", Stealthy?

What about terms like "thuwed" (= dragons descended from dragons on TJ09's scroll) and other lineage terms?

Suggestion: Pinned this topic, please... It's VERY helpfull. Thanks to everyone who helps here ^^.

Maybe Thuwed and Dorkface could both be added, since those are the two lines new people seem to ask about most often?

What a wonderful thread! It answered a lot of my questions...

But I do have one:

What is a "grabber"?

I've seen badges for being a "grabber" in people's signatures, but I have no idea what that means.

Thank you.

It seems like there should be a definition for refusals, as distinguished from other breeding failures, with the links for checking and removing refusals included. I just went searching for the Reject link all over the Forums, and never found it, but finally remembered the link. It seems like this would be a good place for them. This is the link for removing a scroll's Rare x Rare refusals, http://dragcave.net/meh, and here is the link for checking the 10 latest refusals on a scroll, http://dragcave.net/reject.

@ Ravensilver - I know I've seen an excellent post somewhere on the distinction between "grabber" and "catcher" and will see if I can find it again. They are both people who have caught Holiday eggs. I think a "grabber" simply catches them for their own scroll, while a "catcher" helps people who aren't fast enough to catch without help.

It seems like there should be a definition for refusals, as distinguished from other breeding failures, with the links for checking and removing refusals included. I just went searching for the Reject link all over the Forums, and never found it, but finally remembered the link. It seems like this would be a good place for them. This is the link for removing a scroll's Rare x Rare refusals, http://dragcave.net/meh, and here is the link for checking the 10 latest refusals on a scroll, http://dragcave.net/reject.

@ Ravensilver - I know I've seen an excellent post somewhere on the distinction between "grabber" and "catcher" and will see if I can find it again. They are both people who have caught Holiday eggs. I think a "grabber" simply catches them for their own scroll, while a "catcher" helps people who aren't fast enough to catch without help.

Yes, that is the 'literal' definition for that one. <:

Blood swap is also to trade something of the same lineage/generation for the opposite gender. Also called 'gender swapping'.

Dummy trades -- When one user posts a 'trade' teleport for a common egg and another user accepts it, sending over the trade egg(s).