arlymaye

TERMINOLOGY

Thank you! This is a group effort and without all the contributors, this thread would cease to exist. smile.gif

Also, I am in the process of tidying/updating/editing this thread and would like some help. I know that there are many different types of lineages being created and would like someone or a group of members to help me define them.

I could think of a few on the top of my head :-

Even Gen

Perfect Gen

Even Perfect Gen

Stairstep/Staircase

Checkerboard

I am sure there are quite a few more out there .. so if you are anyone who likes to help me, do shoot me a PM or reply to this thread.

On top of that, there have been quite a lot of changes to the terms since I last updated. If you spot anything that needs to be edited/updated, please also let me know.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I saw the thread in the help and thought I'd take a stab at some of these, though I'm sure others can greatly improve these. *L*

An Even Gen is one in which there are no gaps in the lineage going all the way back to the caveborn generation. Mathematically, each generation up from the latest contains 2^N dragons (the parents, the first generation up, are 2^1 = 2, the grandparents 2^2 = 4, etc).

A Perfect Gen is one in which all dragons are of the same breed. Colour variations and alt status usually do not count against the "perfect" status.

An Even Perfect generation is a combination of the two (no gaps in the lineage and all dragons are the same breed).

Stairstep/Staircase is a lineage which starts with a caveborn pair and adds a caveborn dragon each generation as the mate of the previous's offspring, causing the lineage to form a pattern resembling a set of stairs. There are some variations of this (for example, a double staircase in which each offspring is mated to a second gen even).

A checkerboard is one in which there are two dragons different in appearance for the parents of each generation, one breed or colourisation for the males and one for the females.

Thanks Calli Thaala for your help! I'll update once I reviewed some other contributions through PMs.

ETA : UPDATED! Thanks all!

Edited by arlymaye

Very helpful, thanks. I would have been rather confused if I saw BIC without the explanation, as it's a commonly used acronym on writing forums that stands for Butt-In-Chair, lol. Either way I guess it works, since where else would a DC user be? xd.png

Thanks to this topic, i've just found out that "Thuwed" actually means "Dragon" in Saurian. And that explains many of my dragons' parents' names too. A great mystery has been revelead. tongue.gif

Thanks a bunch !

Just wanted to say that the example of a checkerboard under Lineages has a blackxblack pairing in it ^^

I found a few grammar mistakes:

Lagmonster The physical personification of the lag experienced in the cave. First appeared on Marth 17th, 2009, causing users to suffer extreme excruciating pain waiting for the cave to load. Since it's appearance, many users have rallied behind the creation of a lagmonster dragon. The lagmonster thread can be found HERE.

March is spelled wrong.

leetle From http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=leetle 1. A very tiny and disgustingly cute and/or fascinating thing. 2. A a whole lot!

There are two A's in the second definition.

Minimod What a regular user can get called, if someone else thinks that he/she is acting too much like a mod/correcting other users inapropriately.

Inappropriately is spelled wrong.

I'd suggest to add IOU to the list, because I had to ask what this is when I first read it wink.gif

IOU means I owe you, which is a promise to breed/catch something later, simply speaking. So for example, if I have a pink hatchie and I want to trade it for a nebula from a snow angel parent, I might accept someone offering an IOU. I would give them my hatchie now and I can collect the nebula when/if they have one for me.

It's tricky business and you should definitely be careful with it, especially considering rares.

I found one lineage-related term I couldn't find here, so I'll post it...

Gaia is a special kind of even-gen project, where all the CB dragons are a different breed. Whether you count the different forms of seasonals, nebulas, dorsals, or ridgewings as different breeds are up to you.

Edited by Saikachan

I'd like to suggest you offer this link for people to use: Acronym Finder. It has helped me in more situations than I can count.

However, I've been looking around for quite some time, but cannot for the life of me figure out what BrD means. Does anyone know?

Edited by stogucheme

You might like to add to these sections the following:

Under Secret Links, this: http://dragcave.net/makeallmyeggsgold

Under Lineage, this: Arrowhead (or Arrow) lineage.

I know this is not as widely known and created as the others, but I've seen a few floating around (and I'm making my own too). Example of an Arrow lineage: http://dragcave.net/lineage/Yt2B (this is a small arrow with only 4 gen). The problem with Arrowhead Lineage is it's very hard to carry on.

Unfortunately, Calli's definition of Perfect Gen and Even Perfect Gen are a leetle bit incorrect. I refer you to the Even Gen thread and the first post there.

What is Perfect Generation?

Perfect Generation is when you have reached a specific goal with your Even Generation-breeding. A Perfect Generation is always an Even Generation but with a bonus. For example; each and every dragon in the line is a Magi, or it’s all made up of Water/White-couples. A special goal has been achieved, more than just being Even Generation.

A Perfect Generation is always an Even Generation. It can also be called an Even Perfect Gen, but it is one definition no matter what you call it.

Her other definitions are correct, though there are variations for both checkerboards and stairsteps.

Some of the terms have evolved a bit since Dragonwolf and I started the Even Gens thread way back in April of 2009, and people have come up with some interesting ideas on variations, but the basic definitions are still valid.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

Minor thing:

Scroll lockedl

Scroll filled with eggs and/or hatchlings, so one doesn't have room for anything new from the cave or the AP.

A scroll will be considered locked if you have more than 4 hatchlings or 4 eggs at a time. However, you may still be able to obtain one more egg via breeding.

Remove the extra l at the end of "Scroll lockedl" xd.png

What does IOU mean?

I owe you. smile.gif

IOU means exactly what it sounds like - I owe you. It's used to promise a breeding or something, and be like "IOU for that gold egg you got me ^^;"

[EDIT] Darn you ninja.gif mods!

Edited by Xbcdrt8741

We get lots of questions in help about what "IOU" means. Any possibility of adding it here? :3

/lol, someone also asked it here before I could make my request

Under the hidden pages, I think we can take the help page down now that TJ's put it on the main site?

Also, I don't see http://dragcave.net/makeallmyeggsgold listed there. wink.gif

ETA: My mistake, it's the limits page that's listed, not help itself.

Edited by Danne

Updating..

Some of the explanations and terms need to also be updated. If you would like to help, please PM me or reply to this thread with your edits.

Thanks! wink.gif

Im not sure if this is the right place to ask or not but, i was wondering what an IRC is and what is it for?

Thanks for your help

I just read through all of this...and I understand more things now. Thanks for having this thread.

I wonder, though, if there is any way to somehow change the wording of the definitions of words like stalking, camping, ect. To me, they make people who catch eggs in the AP seem somehow untrustworthy and sneaky--and not to mention lazy.

I, personally, am a person who catches eggs almost exclusively in the AP. And that's because my Internet isn't fast enough to catch many things in the Cave proper, not because I'm a dirty scoundrel who has nothing better to do than lurk around the AP waiting for someone to dump a rare. There is more to hunting in the AP to just "sitting around and refreshing..."well, there is to me, anyway.(Some sarcasm there, don't worry, I'm not angry or anything, just a bit disappointed at what my catching methods are called.)

Also, the TJ Sort link doesn't work any more.

Edited by Derranged

TJ Sort hasn't worked for a whiiiiile. It didn't even work when I joined.

New word: Cooldown

The time it takes for an egg freshly-caught from the Cave to be able to be traded or abandoned.