Jumonji

Kingdom Hearts.

My laptop is too slow for it. I can barely open the DC forums.

That's why most of my posting happens at work lol.

Pretty title card, not so hot on the card system. Interesting that it's custom characters. Since it's free I'll probably try it.

I'm quite happy that KH 1.5 ReMIX is leaving Japan~ It'll be nice to see KH in HD, AND it's the final mix version! biggrin.gif

Can't wait to be able to pre-order it.

I may even break down and buy a PS3 (even though PS4 was announced, I really don't want to pay that much money for it especially if it won't be backwards compatible) to get 1.5 because of English final mix.

The only thing that could make this perfect is if they left the Japanese dub in, preferably with Japanese subtitles.

Oh, a game I might actually be able to play. Or not, if it's all fancified and laggy.

Cards were not the best system ever, but it's probably better for a browser than buttonmashing attacks.

user posted image

/Another/ fake image of the KH3 logo is making its way around. I fell for it again did some googling and came across this article, which is four years old but I need to address. (Yeah, FOUR YEARS. Ow.) Most of the article is either "no duh" stuff that can literally apply to any game getting another installation, some of it I agree with, and some of it I can't help but have this visceral "HALL NO" to. (Ignore all the weirdly inserted extraneous comments, I'm not quite sure what the point of those are.)

>set it a few years in the future

Um, there is only a one year separation between KH1 and 2. Sora is, what, 16 in 2? 15? They just can't skip more than another year or two.

>grow Sora up/don't revert to "childish"

Well, no censorkip.gif Sherlock. Obviously that's not happening. But I think this writer needs to realize that KH is not DMC or any other "mature" (seriously, take a shot every time he says mature) games out there. It's probably not going to be "edgy" because it's still aimed at younger players and it's still Disney. I'm expecting Sora to act a little more grown up, sure, but in essence he is a happy person and now that he's reunited with friends and has more allies than ever, I pretty damn well expect him to show that joy.

Also, we need to see a real romance blossom between Sora and Kairi. It's what everyone wants, right? It can retain its innocent flair, but I'd like to see their relationship take a step forward.

e.e

how about

censorkip.gif you

>darken/intensify the antagonists

Meh, I pretty sure we'll get this with Xehanort, but it's sort of a redundant point to make. Bigger and Badder is practically law. Again, I think the author is a little bloodthirsty? ("vicious" etc.)

personal struggles are often the most powerful and that's what Kingdom Hearts III needs to portray. Does Sora really need to save a hundred worlds again? What if he's just pushing forward to help his friends?

After DDD, I think it's good to guess that we'll get both. Xehanort has his schemes with his clones, which will probably span many worlds (like that is a perf set-up, 13 pieces of darkness as world bosses come on) and I hope they also address Riku's emerging confidence and peace, Sora's potential dealing with everything (so much angst potential), apparently Kairi's coming back? (spoilers I haven't seen 3D's secret video yet) Give me their development yes. Though, Sora has now been "pushing forward to help his friends" ever since...Day 1, so, idk.

Imagine how much pressure the player would feel if only Kairi's life was on the line and nothing else.

oh hel--

/grabs soapbox and drags it into wide open space

HOW ABOUT NO.

FEMALE CHARACTERS ARE NOT ****ING PLOT DEVICES

KAIRI DOES NOT NEED TO YET AGAIN BE THE DAMSEL IN DISTRESS

KAIRI HAS BEEN IGNORED AND PUT ASIDE ENOUGH

GIVE HER SOME SCREEN TIME, SOME DEVELOPMENT, SOME SKILL, SOME FIGHT, SOME STRENGTH, SOME ADVENTURE, SOME FRIENDS, SOMETHING.

THAT DOES NOT INVOLVE SORA

OR BEING SAVED BY ANYONE ELSE

censorkip.gif THAT.

>linearity

It's also firmly established that Sora has a very short attention span combined with a determined focus on the task at hand and will help anyone, even if it's as ridiculous as sing-and-dancing to get a little mermaid happy again. Idc what anyone says Atlantica was great even if it was silly and didn't use the full versions of songs. More overarching plot involvement, sure, but don't scrape away any more of the nostalgia-fueled Disney stories any more than has already been done. And, after 3D, I do think the story is going more towards the central characters and away from limelight extras, so we'll see.

>KH3 as the last game

While I would probably cry I might support this, though I think Nomura has stated that while 3 would end the Xehanort Saga it wouldn't be the end of KH. But, the Xeha Saga has been so beautifully retconned? ymmv I guess woven into the later games, it might be best to have that be the /only/ Saga.

Kingdom Hearts II was widely criticized for its overly easy, Triangle-happy battle mechanics

hey what no reaction commands were the best, and if it means more events like the 1000 Heartless showdown and more awesome visual stunts they better keep that.

I suggest offering players a choice at the beginning of the game: use an action system that borrows from the intense, skill-based mechanics of such classics as Devil May Cry (and totally abandon the menus) or use the incredibly addictive card-based system from the Chain of Memories titles.

1) Pretty sure that giving a choice in such wildly different combat systems/play styles is never gonna happen in any game

2) Pretty sure KH is never ever gonna get rid of the menus given how long they've had them and how functional they are

3) We should really never bring back the card system in any way whatsoever it is a dark spot on my button-mashing love of KH but that's just me.

>make it harder

Did you block out Xaldin from your memory too? It's ok, you're not alone. I know a lot of people had trouble with Demyx too. And Sephiroth? Did you skip all that? The games also already have multiple difficulty levels, christ. I don't care either way about the mini-games, I thought they were fine, but I'm not a ~*serious player*~

>"robust party system"

I can get behind increasing the party's AI to be more effective in combat, because yeah D+G are usually useless. Especially in boss battles.

>nostalgia and melancholy

Interesting word choice, but I'll bite. Seems redundant to ask for it when it didn't ever leave, so I've no doubt KH3 will have it, especially if they do make it the last game.

I'm sorry this got long but I have opinions.

I'm just still sore that we're still waiting on Versus, which hasn't had any news for over two and a half years. I would love to hear something at E3, but I doubt there will really be any after they go on about Lightning Returns and the FFX remake. For America they will probably promote 1.5, but that's about it I fear...

Just because the thread is alive again.

So, I said I wouldn't get 1.5 because I'm not bothering with the PS3.... but that artbook preorder is very tempting.

Maybe I'll just try to catch one off ebay or amazon or something so I don't have to pay the $40 for just the little PS3 box size book.

If it were a hardcover full size art book (which they should consider) I'd drop the $40 for it

@NixAyum - you seem to know a lot of stuff about this game/have a lot of opinions, have you played it more than once? I've only played I, chain of memories, and II once each myself, and for some reason my friend and I were able to just skip the whole Atlantis world and go on to beating the game. It's weird though, because when we tried to go there first it said we needed an item to continue, but we never got the item, and later it just said to go on to the final battle so we did.

I loved the kingdom hearts series, and have thought about buying the other handhelds and stuff to play the other games that never came out on ps2/3. But, I don't think I want to spend the money for something I'm only going to play one game on. It's such a shame, though, that they had to employ such an underhanded marketing scam. At least they did chain of memories for ps2 though, I'm happy about that.

As for the future of the series, I don't know any more than you guys, so don't look to me for hints. I'm hoping just as much as the next guy/girl that they continue the series, and that they get a move on on releasing the next game in the series.

@NixAyum - you seem to know a lot of stuff about this game/have a lot of opinions, have you played it more than once? I've only played I, chain of memories, and II once each myself, and for some reason my friend and I were able to just skip the whole Atlantis world and go on to beating the game. It's weird though, because when we tried to go there first it said we needed an item to continue, but we never got the item, and later it just said to go on to the final battle so we did.

I loved the kingdom hearts series, and have thought about buying the other handhelds and stuff to play the other games that never came out on ps2/3. But, I don't think I want to spend the money for something I'm only going to play one game on. It's such a shame, though, that they had to employ such an underhanded marketing scam. At least they did chain of memories for ps2 though, I'm happy about that.

As for the future of the series, I don't know any more than you guys, so don't look to me for hints. I'm hoping just as much as the next guy/girl that they continue the series, and that they get a move on on releasing the next game in the series.

The Atlantis world is optional. You need certain items to progress within it, but ultimately it's still optional.

I'm also not really sure why everyone always calls the fact that KH comes out on many systems a "marketing scheme." What do you think Square Enix has to gain from it? How is it a marketing scheme at all?

I've played a lot of KH in general and it's a series I'm extremely passionate about/devoted to, so yeah. laugh.gif I have not played Birth By Sleep (but I've watched most of a playthrough on youtube) or coded/re:coded, but I've played I/II a couple times, am on my second play of Days, have played 3D once with plans to play again, and have almost beaten Re:CoM.

Atlantis is broken up into a few visits, I guess to serve as a pretty/easy breather between the other worlds, and you can end up skipping it (either entirely or until the very end, I don't remember).

I don't think it's a marketing scam seeing as how neither Square nor Disney manufacture the platforms? I don't follow the console race at all, but I think it's generally releasing the best game on the best available machine. But it is a little annoying; the spread across players is the only reason I haven't played BBS. I justified buying an old, used DS with having a couple other games I was interested in and not having any other handheld, and I got a 3DS and KH:3D as a gift. If KH3 does end up being a PS4 game, which it seems to have to be that at least (?), I'll have a reason to buy one of those (hopefully they're PS3-compatible, as I have a 2 but not a 3).

@7Deadly$ins, &NixAyum - Ik it would probably not be in their best interest to release games in the same series on different platforms, because less people would buy them. But, and maybe I'm being a little paranoid here, if the developers of those platforms paid square enix to release different games only on specific platforms, then it might be somewhat of a marketing scheme. I just don't understand why, if they weren't paid to do it, they wouldn't release all the games on ps2 or 3 as well as the ones they originally released them on. I mean common, some people don't want to spend all their money on a system they're only going to play one game on.

I really like kingdom hearts but the problem is the only games I can play are CoM, 358/2 Days, and DDD. And I only played CoM and DDD because I don't think I'd enjoy Days. I never had the systems for any of the others. :c I got to play a bit of the first one because my friends owned it, but not much. I've just watched full playthroughs of all the other games just so I can at least keep up with what happens.

I'm currently playing through Dream Drop Distance. ouo It's a lot of fun.

Edited by Switch

@7Deadly$ins, &NixAyum  -  Ik it would probably not be in their best interest to release games in the same series on different platforms, because less people would buy them.  But, and maybe I'm being a little paranoid here, if the developers of those platforms paid square enix to release different games only on specific platforms, then it might be somewhat of a marketing scheme.  I just don't understand why, if they weren't paid to do it, they wouldn't release all the games on ps2 or 3 as well as the ones they originally released them on.  I mean common, some people don't want to spend all their money on a system they're only going to play one game on.

Actually, it isn't a bad move.

Lots of players have varying systems. This allows for the largest possible playerbase to have a chance to play at least one game.

Also, by getting players hooked using a game for a different system, you increase the chance they'll buy the system(s) needed to play other games. Often if a person buys the system for one game then they'll get other use out of it. Not always, but often.

The vast majority of my systems--console and handheld--I originally got specifically to play one or two games, though I knew I'd find more games to play. I knew I'd find other games I'd enjoy, they just weren't enough to make me get the system itself--but once I had the system, I was quite happy to buy and play them. It happens to a lot of other people, too.

Also they have done the "rerelease games on a different system" thing before. Chain of Memories was for the GBA then they did Re:Chain of Memories for the PS2, and Coded as a phone game that became Re:Coded for the DS. Can't say for sure why they didn't with the others, though--could be any number of reasons.

Also, @Nix--pretty sure that PS4 is confirmed to not have backwards compatibility to PS3 because the cost to make the hardware able to support both would have priced the system well above what consumers would have been willing to pay.

Edited by KageSora

Also, @Nix--pretty sure that PS4 is confirmed to not have backwards compatibility to PS3 because the cost to make the hardware able to support both would have priced the system well above what consumers would have been willing to pay.

Noooo damn.

I mean, it's a waiting game either way, and I'll get whatever platform the next game comes out on anyway, but I like backwards compatibility thanks, I couldn't remember the name. I don't think there were too many games for the 3 I wanted aside from FF13, but I didn't exactly look hard.

I'm currently playing through Dream Drop Distance. ouo It's a lot of fun.

3D is so much fun. What's your fav world? /chinhands

3D is so much fun. What's your fav world? /chinhands

Hmm ouo I think I've had the most fun in The Grid, so far. The rinzler fight was tricky but I was just really underleveled. o_e I really like the Notre Dame world too (i'm really happy they made it into a world <3.) I only just started Symphony of Sorcery and Country of Musketeers so I dunno if I can say my favorite yet. But it'll probably still be those other two. What's yours?

Also does anyone else use DDD for dream drop distance? I've always used it instead of 3D or KH3D. ;u; Dunno why.

Edited by Switch

By the looks of it, KH3 will be on the PS4.

Then it will be the third awesome KH-game I'm not able to play because I can't afford to buy so many different consoles D':

It makes me really sad..

I might get a PS4 one day, but not for a while. Too many good games on the PS3 I need to get and play yet.