notpc

Naming based on code

Have you named a dragon based on it's code?  

1,975 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I was newer, I named a few of my dragons after their code if it was something cool or memorable... like "jobi" became Jobith (because jobi was taken), and "gdup" became Hiyo Silver (get it? Giddyup! ... and he's a silver).

Since I'd taken a break from here for a few months and missed a lot of new dragons, I've had a lot of catching up to do. As a result, I had a LOT of new dragons to name. So I wouldn't burn my brain up trying to think of cool names for everyone, I decided to base each dragon's name solely off their codes (unless they had a notable lineage or were a holiday dragon).

By adding a random vowel here and there to make it work, and also adding my preferred suffix of "th" to their names, I've come up with some cool, weird and really unusual names. The best part is, they're rarely taken! xd.png

Naming by code can be challenging and fun.

I have never named my dragons by code, since I have a uniform naming system across most of my scroll based on combining names from two separate lists, until I got my first paper recently with the code Mo0Z. So now I have a scroll full of dragons with antiquated names, and Miz Mooz. tongue.gif

My newest one is a purple hatchie with code TXeR. So I named it Purple T-Rex xd.png

I named my Albino Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated based on his code, which is doff.

It made me think of doof, which made me think of Doofenshmirtz, but since that was taken, I chose Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated.

I have my own naming system, but I do look at the code and sometimes base the dragon descriptions on them. For example, the dragon with the code n0sE (caps messed) has a description saying his sense of smell is unusually good.

Hmm... Digging through my dragons, I have several... Some are named directly, others are merely inspired by the code.

eZO3 - The Wizard of Oz

HtWd - Hot Water

kOJb - Princess Koja

ksku - Kirstin Kiku

45cm - Lady Metric

KeWn - Gossamer Kevin

fAmY - Gossamer Amy

bfGf - He Said She Said

B1ff - Electric Biff

9V9p - Nine Volt Victoria

KKiX - Soccer Mom

Duh2 - Obvious Butterfly

This is a sampling of the more obvious ones.

I also usually go according to a naming system (though it's less obvious to most people), but I have a few of exceptions too. If I did find any really cool codes in the future, I think I would probably name them accordingly.

PS: just had a look at my scroll and I do seem to have a few funny coded dragons (though not named according to the code).

pG14 (PG-14?)

ToO2 (Too 2?)

eaTN (Eatin'?)

QVCK (Quack?)

KIkn (Kickin'?)

olol (oh lol?)

Edited by lanette

I just did this for the first time the other day! I had a dragon with the code nife, who I named The Nife.

I started out with my own system but after a while it went out of the window. I think I'm going to be quite busy including the codes when the renaming facility is brought in.

Undead Baro - Baro (someone already had Baro ;A; )

And that's it. I have yet to find a good code otherwise.

I like basing names off the code, unless I already had something else in mind, heck I often go looking just for interesting codes if I'm not looking for something specific.

Let me see...

BrAT- What a Brat

JArD- Jar of Strawberry Jam

P1ZA- Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza

kRkn- Kraken of the Blue Waves (And it just happened to be a deep sea fwrr)

9sAW- Saw Blade Fin

F0RK- My Little Fork

LCHu- Xolo Light Pikachu (Xolo is actually from a different dragons code. It didn't grow up..)

XAYd- Miss Xay

Ms2r- Master Grave Wings

POo8- Little Winnie the Pooh

NOIR- L'eau Noir (It's a water walker. The name means 'Black Water' (Noir being black)

And Hmm, that seems to be it.

Right now I have an Ochre Drake with the Code "BUgs", and... An Albino with the code "5EXC" (Sexy) that haven't grown up yet. Wondering what I should name them (or if I should even code-name the albino at all lol).. I'd like to keep my ochre drake naming theme of nuts.. Maybe a bug that eats nuts or something, idk.

I'm just using the letters/numbers and making a name up around them. For instance, I just had one grow up, code A3OW. I called her Atreliowa. the 3 part is the 'tre' (short for treble) and the other couple of letters are there to make it sound better. I try to end the name with a feminine/masculine sound, but I suspect some would disagree with me on that, but what the hey! smile.gif

I had a dragon with the code

IVyv - Vine named it Ivy of Ecstasy. (Ecstasy is a song. Which I love.)

HopE - Valentine which I named Harrison's Hope. (George Harrison btw.)

never did it as I have my own system of naming.

though it may be funny as I'v seen from this topic smile.gif

My newest alt sweetling x red dorsal is alvv (Ah love?)

Now to get it combined with Dark Chocolate---

Mmhmm, I have a few times. More often just choosing a name with similar letters/sound to the code, but I just recently did one directly based on the code. Although to get it a person would probably have to know elvish (i.e. Lord of the Rings elvish), since all my dragon names are taken from the elvish languages.

Got an egg with the code "uGod". In Quenya the prefix "u-" means "not", so I named the hatchie "U-Eru" - "Eru" being the name for God in Tolkien's universe.

So yeah, basically his name is "Not God". 'Tis to keep him humble, even though he's a Dorkface-Thuwed. *g*