ShinyNightFury

Not sure where this would go..

I want to post a picture I drew on Chickensmoothie, but I would like to know if drawing DragonCave sprites/dragons on a website's drawing board considered copyright infringement? (It's already finished, but I haven't posted it yet)

Edited by ShinyNightFury

A website's drawing board? I'm not sure what that means.

Chickensmoothie is generally a collector's site as well but has, if I remember that correctly, a kind of in-website drawing program (similar to MS Paint, GIMP and the likes), where users can draw and publish their work.

DC fanart is fine. I assume this isn't official art for the Chickensmoothie site, just something for fun, right?

Actually, permission to draw and share fanart is given by the artists who worked on the in-cave sprites. This thread hosts the official rules of each spriter and often notes specifically whether or not they allow fanart of their work.

Before posting your art on CS, look at which spriters contributed to the breed(s) you're drawing and then check the thread to see how they feel about fanart. :)

12 minutes ago, seventeendeer said:

Actually, permission to draw and share fanart is given by the artists who worked on the in-cave sprites. This thread hosts the official rules of each spriter and often notes specifically whether or not they allow fanart of their work.

Before posting your art on CS, look at which spriters contributed to the breed(s) you're drawing and then check the thread to see how they feel about fanart. :)

The permission requirement for fanart was removed a while ago.

See the second post in the thread:

The Derivative fan art category has been removed: You are free to create non-commercial derivative fan art(drawings of, plushies, etc.) for dragons that are in-cave. Spriter's Alts are an exception - you should still ask or check the 'Special' category. Some artists may also ask to keep fan art PG-13 or have other requests in the 'Special' category.

So fanart made from an online drawing program would be fine, so long as it's not intended for use in Chickensmoothie. :)

No, that thread was updated so that DC fanart in general is allowed, and there are only a few exceptions for specific artist input such as Spriter alts.

Edit: ninja'd by a mod :ph34r:

The Derivative fan art category has been removed: You are free to create non-commercial derivative fan art(drawings of, plushies, etc.) for dragons that are in-cave. Spriter's Alts are an exception - you should still ask or check the 'Special' category. Some artists may also ask to keep fan art PG-13 or have other requests in the 'Special' category.

Edited by Shadowdrake

Oh dang, I didn't even realize! Sorry for the outdated information, I totally missed that update, my bad! I need to start reading these before I link them LOL

But yes, I'm over on CS too and the art boards are just for drawing, hosting and sharing your work with other users, it isn't used for Chicken Smoothie itself in any way, so sounds like you're good to go, OP! Post to your heart's content (and hey, feel free to send a link my way if you feel like it, I'd love to see your art - my username is the same over on CS). :D