TJ09

2023-03-09 - Festival of Eggs Submissions

Dragon Cave's annual Festival of Eggs is once again nearing. In keeping with tradition, the Festival is open for all to contribute their art too, allowing anyone to send in eggs for others to collect.

All submissions must be sent via PM to @Event Art Submissions. The deadline for submissions is April 2.

Here's some base guidelines:

• The egg is the main theme, so you must be able to see the egg in the sprite.
  • Size limit of 50x50px.
  • Images must be submitted in PNG or GIF form.
  • Eggs must be pixel art, which generally means that overall color count is limited and pixels are intentionally placed. Do not use filters or anti-aliased tools such as Photoshop's paint brush.
  • Eggs may be animated, but should not use rapid or flashing effects.
    • Animated PNGs are allowed, but your mileage may vary.
    • The first frame of animation should be identifiable, to accommodate situations where animations are disabled.
  • Semi-transparency is allowed.
  • Images must not be shared publicly before the event begins.
  • Images should not have blank space around the outer edges.
  • Images must use one of the standard DC egg bases (the full-sized dragon base is strongly preferred).
  • Eggs may be rejected for reasons other than those in this post—namely, there will be a general quality bar. This post outlines the most common quality issues.
  • Only one submission will be accepted per-person, unless otherwise stated later in this thread.
  • If your egg is a specific reference to other media (e.g. a video game, TV show, or so on), clearly identify the reference in your submission.

There are a limited number of spots available. Art will be accepted on a first come, first served basis from the moment when the art is deemed to meet all of the above guidelines (that is, if you need to make changes and resubmit, that bumps you to the back of the line).

By submitting art to the Festival of Eggs event, you grant Dragon Cave a non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free license to host, use, distribute, modify, copy, display, and create derivative works of your content. You can end this license any time by contacting us, though the art may not be immediately deleted. The license also ends immediately upon notice from us that the art will not be used in the event.

3 minutes ago, ShadowMistaken said:

>:0

woo!

p.s. where do I find the egg bases?

You can find them in the Dragon Requests section:

Good luck everyone!  Looking forward to seeing everyone's fantastic submissions!

There are always such imaginative and pretty submissions, can't wait to see what you all submit this time!

Yay! I don't know how much I can do this because I don't know any pixel drawing software on my phone and how to insert an image, but I'll try!

13 hours ago, Mew said:

Yay! I don't know how much I can do this because I don't know any pixel drawing software on my phone and how to insert an image, but I'll try!

PixelStudio

you can animate in it

Egg submitted!

I used to make my sprites in MS Paint, but if anyone is looking for a new program, I now use Aseprite and it is well worth the fifteen quid.

Edited by Starbit

I'm working on a sprite for this, and um... I'm so rusty with making sprites. Oof. lol

3 hours ago, PancakeIsBest said:

How do I copy the blank egg bases? It just makes a black square any time I try. 

huh. which application/website are you using?

I think I know what happens. When you click the egg bases on the forums, it will create a black "popup" with the base. Since the base itself is black, it looks like a solid black box and the base is easy to miss.

These should be the links to the base images used in the Ultimate Dragon Request thread. Do let me know if they don't work though.

Base Regular Egg - changed to a different link, but should still be the right base

Base Drake Egg

Base Pygmy Egg

Edited by XDLugia

1 hour ago, ShadowMistaken said:

huh. which application/website are you using?

Any time I try to copy/save it, it doesn't save as anything but a black square. I might I try again tbh. But if someone can tell me the measurements of the pixels, I can work with that too

34 minutes ago, PancakeIsBest said:

Any time I try to copy/save it, it doesn't save as anything but a black square. I might I try again tbh. But if someone can tell me the measurements of the pixels, I can work with that too

what program are you using? it's possible that whatever you're using doesn't support transparency meaning the background turns black (such as if you try to copy the image into ms paint). a rather clunky workaround if you just want the lines is to take a screenshot and then take the lineart from there - but keep in mind that your final submission will need to have a transparent background, so you'll have to use a program that does support transparency at some point.

in other news i finally worked up the courage to submit something... haven't done pixel art in a while so it's fun to play around with things again

26 minutes ago, Limanya said:

what program are you using? it's possible that whatever you're using doesn't support transparency meaning the background turns black (such as if you try to copy the image into ms paint). a rather clunky workaround if you just want the lines is to take a screenshot and then take the lineart from there - but keep in mind that your final submission will need to have a transparent background, so you'll have to use a program that does support transparency at some point.

in other news i finally worked up the courage to submit something... haven't done pixel art in a while so it's fun to play around with things again

I was just trying to open it in paint. I did manage to do it. Thank you for advice tho :)

It sound very fun to do! I'm hopping in with my little pixel art skills,let's see how it will end up!
Good luck everyone!