neshii

Missing Dragons

Hi. I first started playing back in 2008, which you can see on my profile (and also tell if you read it...) and I returned to the site after a long while and have been playing on and off again. Something that's been really bothering me that I finally was able to connect is that I think all my original cave born dragons may be gone. I know I absolutely had more than the 4 oldest dragons on my scroll, I actually used to roleplay as them. However, my account is apparently so dusty all my old posts are gone. Is there any way to see or restore my old dragons? Thanks.

They could have fallen foul of the data loss several years ago....

Datamonster

Refers to a data loss on July 20th, 2009, during which certain dragons disappeared from users' scrolls. TJ rescued/revived most of the lost dragons. The event was personified as the Datamonster, "an evil dragon that devoured users' dragons."
  • Datamonster Survivors (DMS)
Dragons which were restored after being "eaten" by the Datamonster.
  • Datamonster Survivors Lineage Project (DMSLP)
A breeding project that involves listing all the survivors of the Datamonster, breeding purebred generations from those survivors and documenting the lineage.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

They could have fallen foul of the data loss several years ago....

Datamonster

Refers to a data loss on July 20th, 2009, during which certain dragons disappeared from users' scrolls. TJ rescued/revived most of the lost dragons. The event was personified as the Datamonster, "an evil dragon that devoured users' dragons."

• Datamonster Survivors (DMS)
Dragons which were restored after being "eaten" by the Datamonster.
  • Datamonster Survivors Lineage Project (DMSLP)
A breeding project that involves listing all the survivors of the Datamonster, breeding purebred generations from those survivors and documenting the lineage.

The issue back in 2009 only affected a small, specific subset of dragons, and as your quote says most were recovered. It is extremely unlikely that all but 4 of a person's dragons would be gone as a result.

The most likely scenario from when people have mentioned this in the past is that the dragons were killed, released, or are on another scroll due to having multiple accounts. Unfortunately action logs don't go back that far, so it'd be impossible to check which is the case, if any.

1 hour ago, TJ09 said:

The issue back in 2009 only affected a small, specific subset of dragons, and as your quote says most were recovered. It is extremely unlikely that all but 4 of a person's dragons would be gone as a result.

The most likely scenario from when people have mentioned this in the past is that the dragons were killed, released, or are on another scroll due to having multiple accounts. Unfortunately action logs don't go back that far, so it'd be impossible to check which is the case, if any.

Is it possible it was data deletion? I'm working off rusty information, but upon further inspection all of my oldest dragons were apparently bred, but it lists no offspring anywhere. The chances that every breeding attempt was unsuccessful or that I killed all the eggs doesn't seem right to me in those circumstances, but I could be wrong. Also, I checked the availability of one name I do remember having (Iceclaaw) and it's available, so I don't think they're on an alternate account. I also had sentimental value attached to the dragons, so a release seems unlikely.

If you sent the eggs to the AP, someone else could have let them die, or if they are on a hidden scroll, they won't show.

The parents of your oldest dragons are all on other people's scrolls or in the wildnerness, so you probably got them from the AP. Are you sure you bred them ?

34 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

If you sent the eggs to the AP, someone else could have let them die, or if they are on a hidden scroll, they won't show.

The parents of your oldest dragons are all on other people's scrolls or in the wildnerness, so you probably got them from the AP. Are you sure you bred them ?

I see. My remaining dragons would be from AP as I couldn't have traded for them at the time; it's likely I bred those together (2 of the 4 have a matching breed date) and then something happened to the offspring. 

Is it possible that the dragons that you are thinking of just lost their names? There was a time when they lost names.

I think the OP is checking by age,,,,