Scrac

Winter Holiday dragon Gift BSA

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

You are now showing additional reasons why this is a bad idea. Te BEST way is simply to set it up like the cookie gifting.with the option to refuse - and it has to stay on the sender's scroll until accepted. And go to the AP if declined.

Again, this encourages less active players to be left out. If a player is genuinely the kind that can only pop on now and then, they won't mind hosting the gifts on their scroll until they make a decision on them.

6 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

As for interacting with less active members - if they are less active, that may make no difference at all. I can think of a few friends who have dropped off - if I sent them a gift, chances are it would just sit till it died. If members are less active that may be a quite deliberate choice, and this may not be welcome at all.

I can not speak for your friends, but your statements do not hold true for myself or my friends. My friend who decided to never return to Dragon Cave burned her scroll. Myself and friends who are on infrequently would not mind gifts or being able to engage in some form of trading.

Your bring up the gift dying, but a temporary freeze that releases when a decision is made on the gift has been part of the idea package from the beginning.

50 minutes ago, Scrac said:

Your bring up the gift dying, but a temporary freeze that releases when a decision is made on the gift has been part of the idea package from the beginning.

And is a way to get around limits. Just set it up like the cookie thing. Easy.

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

And is a way to get around limits. Just set it up like the cookie thing. Easy.

It's only a way to get around limits if it sits on the gift giver's scroll instead of the gift recipient.

Originally my idea was for it to be like the cookie thing, and not take up scroll space for anyone. Sitting in its own mailbox space that had a limit of 5 gifts. But I was persuaded that it should take up scroll space for someone, so I modified my idea accordingly. But I have no real preference between Plan A and Plan B.

Well, given that the recipient has the right to refuse it - why should it take up space on THEIR scroll rather than yours ?

6 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Well, given that the recipient has the right to refuse it - why should it take up space on THEIR scroll rather than yours ?

Because penalizing users for including less active members in gift-giving discourages users from doing so. The spirit of this idea is inclusion.

Again, if a player is genuinely the kind that can only pop on now and then, they won't mind hosting the gifts on their scroll until they make a decision on them.

As a reminder, the ability to turn off gift receiving has always been a part of the idea package.

On 1/4/2023 at 2:10 PM, Scrac said:

A Present BSA only makes sense with Christmas dragons out of the current dragons that exist.

None of the current winter holiday dragons seem to have any kind of lore that indicates they are capable of inducing and reversing cryostasis or pausing aging in any other way.  How does it make sense with them?

On 1/4/2023 at 9:20 PM, Scrac said:

It also discourages anyone from interacting with less active members, who are the inspiration for this entire idea. I'm not going to support exclusion.

Not really?  I mean unless you're unwilling to sacrifice an egg slot to do something nice for somebody.  I already hold eggs for a few days sometimes once in a while when I'm gifting them to somebody and they need time to clear their scroll.  I don't see how it's any different--if I want to do something nice for a person, I assume the burden of making it work out for them.  If I'm mailing something and it gets lost, I don't tell the giftee "Well, you better chase your gift down--now that I've sent it off it's not my problem anymore, you get it when you get it".  I'm the one that chases it down and figures out what's going wrong, even if that's an inconvenience to me.  I consider this more of the same--if I'm sending a gift to a person, I hold onto it until they're able to claim it.

Additionally, please explain how you plan to remedy the issue of "I was selecting a mate to breed an egg, and it bred the egg I really wanted, but it got kicked to the AP because somebody sent me a gift while I was selecting a mate and that gift ate up my last egg slot so now I'm locked through no fault of my own and I've lost the egg I've been working towards for months"

Honestly, with how this suggestion is currently set up, I'd never bother to make use of it and I'd insist on disabling it entirely rather than letting somebody else screw with my scroll limits by gifting me a bunch of junk I don't want just to eat up my scroll space.

(Also, do you mean that the Light Weavers should not have this gift?  They're not Christmas dragons, after all)

10 hours ago, Scrac said:

Because penalizing users for including less active members in gift-giving discourages users from doing so. The spirit of this idea is inclusion.

Again, if a player is genuinely the kind that can only pop on now and then, they won't mind hosting the gifts on their scroll until they make a decision on them.

As a reminder, the ability to turn off gift receiving has always been a part of the idea package.

It would certainly put me off doing it for occasional players. But:I'm with Kage Sora here:

3 hours ago, KageSora said:

I already hold eggs for a few days sometimes once in a while when I'm gifting them to somebody and they need time to clear their scroll.  I don't see how it's any different--if I want to do something nice for a person, I assume the burden of making it work out for them.  If I'm mailing something and it gets lost, I don't tell the giftee "Well, you better chase your gift down--now that I've sent it off it's not my problem anymore, you get it when you get it".  I'm the one that chases it down and figures out what's going wrong, even if that's an inconvenience to me. 

OP: You do know that if you mail something to someone they can't chase it up with the mail services - it has to be the sender. I have had stuff stay lost because of this :( The sender wouldn't follow up, and so.... It's up to the giver to take responsibility for everything here - including keeping the gift on their scroll. If you don't want to gift enough to do that - then don't gift at all.

I consider this more of the same--if I'm sending a gift to a person, I hold onto it until they're able to claim it.

Additionally, please explain how you plan to remedy the issue of "I was selecting a mate to breed an egg, and it bred the egg I really wanted, but it got kicked to the AP because somebody sent me a gift while I was selecting a mate and that gift ate up my last egg slot so now I'm locked through no fault of my own and I've lost the egg I've been working towards for months"

Yes indeed - the egg has to be on SOMEONE's scroll. So if not the giver's....

Honestly, with how this suggestion is currently set up, I'd never bother to make use of it and I'd insist on disabling it entirely rather than letting somebody else screw with my scroll limits by gifting me a bunch of junk I don't want just to eat up my scroll space.

Yus. If I know someone wants something (even someone I don't know; that's the most fun ! :) ) I'll look at their posts and glomp it to them. It stays on my scroll till they show up and say yes or no - or it grows up.

(Also, do you mean that the Light Weavers should not have this gift?  They're not Christmas dragons, after all)

Missed that - but an interesting point.

What is wrong with the cookie-style option ? Effectively a glomp that bypasses the forum.

I like the idea behind this suggestion for holiday dragons. It's a nice little bit of lore, and it's a lovely sentiment to give holiday gifts. But in terms of practical application I don't think it would be very effective. If I want to give a gift to someone in particular I send them a teleport link. If I want to give a gift to a random person I send something nice to the AP (I just did this earlier today in fact). I just don't see what practical advantage this suggestion would give us.

On 1/4/2023 at 11:49 PM, Scrac said:

Anyone could make a second account and send gifts to themself that only count against the scroll limit of the dummy account.

I mean, this is true, but people can make second accounts right now anyway to send themselves dragons... Adding this won't change that.

I like the idea overall, but I also think that the limits should be effecting the giver's scroll instead of the giftee's scroll until the giftee accepts it. I think it's MORE abusable not having it count towards your scroll limits until they accept because of what Kage said.

I like this idea in general, but I'd like to raise a point regarding the whole 'winter' thing.

Christmas dragons only breed during winter - for the northern hemisphere. I understand that TJ is in the northern hemisphere and thus the DragCave world holds Christmas during winter too, but for half the planet the Christmas Holiday dragons breed during summer. Sure, it's an in-lore thing, but honestly it would be infinitely more annoying than it already is to have such a special community-based BSA/system like this so focused on winter Christmas. I can forget about it most of the year as it is, but this would be a constant reminder of it every single time I interact with the system - and I would want to interact with this system! Gifting is great! The DragCave playerbase has some of the best gifting practices I've seen in any game community.

With that in mind, the idea of making this a BSA based around a time-aligned dragon sounds the best purely by lore and mechanics, and also avoids the above irritation. (I don't see it raised anywhere because it's not an issue that will ever be resolved and frankly, I don't think it seriously needs to be, but I cannot be the only person annoyed by this). It doesn't necessarily need to be a BSA of course, but it would make sense with how the other BSAs interface with the game and also I love BSAs and frankly I think we should have more of them, so this fits right in!

Edit: a magi-aligned dragon would work as well, perhaps even more so.

Edited by StarlightLion