Cuon

ANSWERED:Lineage run-down

Would anyone be willing to tell me how to make lineages? I know how to breed dragons, but if I were to, say, make a glowback and scymrian pygmy checker, how would I do that?

I don't consider myself an expert, but it's good to know that, in the lineage view, the dragon's father always sits on top and the mother is always on the bottom. For non-CB dragons, the dragon's immediate father is on top, mother on bottom, and subsequent ancestors follow the same pattern. Inbred dragons' repeated family members don't get any special treatment - they'll just show up however many times is appropriate under that pattern. It's probably in your interest to invest in pink dragons and aeon wyverns when making a lineage. Hopefully this is helpful?

Editing to link to Antigone, an AP with my favourite lineage thus far. They're a great example of organizing inbred/checkered lines under the father-mother layout.

Edited by Vagisto

Mostly you just pick a pattern you like the look of, and breed dragons to create it.  There's a variety of patterns to work with!  Male dragons are always on top, female always on the bottom so you don't need to worry about that--makes it easier to know which breed needs to be which gender if you're doing a pattern like a checker or something.

For your example, these are the two options you'd be picking from to breed towards (expand as you would desire for however many generations you want to keep it going, I just showed 4 because it's not too large but gives you an idea of the appearance of the pattern):

image.png.477201826f11d4daa5e0b987da0d2843.png

image.png.c5127750105b0d08d5539c03296553ac.png

To do this, you'd decide which pattern you wanted to go with--that will determine which gender each breed is.  Then, you'd start collecting the CBs, as many as needed for however many generations you're going for.  Once you start collecting CBs, you start breeding them to get your next gens and then influencing the eggs to be the right gender to continue the pattern.  Then you repeat the process once you start getting 2nd gens and breeding for 3rd gens.  (Or you could wait until you have ALL the CB pairs and start breeding for 2nd gens, then only start on the 3rd gens once you have all the 2nd gens, really the specific timing is whatever you prefer)

The earlier in the project you are, the easier it typically is to swap pairs around if needed either due to a refusal or because they produced the wrong egg.  Gets a little harder once they've gotten further along.

Personally I use spreadsheets to easily keep track of which dragons I intend as mates with each other, and I often use that to plan things out in advance once I decide what the pattern I want is.  I usually only do a mock-up of a portion of the pattern.  (So, if I want to make a 6th gen I'd just test the pattern up to 3rd gen for a mock-up to see if I like it.  The more complex the pattern, though, the more I test in advance before investing all that time breeding lol.)

This is the site I use for testing patterns--the same one used to generate those screenshots up there!

This thread is useful because it has lineage terms and such

Spoiler marked are some other examples of lineage options, since they weren't checkers but they're other things you can do.

Spoiler

There's other types, as well!  This is a sort of "spiral" one--you see how one breed (in this case Desipis) is sort of the thread through the center and the red ones alternate male/female around it?  That's less CB-intensive.

This and this are "stairstep" type examples--you start with a pair of CBs, then you only need a new CB for each generation to breed with your offspring.

Even when it comes to just basic even gens, though, you don't have to keep one simple checker pattern, either!  If you look at this one, you can see that I changed up which breed was male, which was female both for half of the CBs, but also swapping each generation.  This one I did a sort of A B B A pattern between the two breeds.  I've got another planned one that uses 9 different breeds with the end result planned being a hybrid that's a 10th gen and requires 1024 CBs.  You can get real wild with it if you want!

Pink Dragons are a must-have, and I really heavily invest in Purples now as well that I'm working on a lineage that requires 1024 CBs lol--using Fertility on one parent goes a long was towards reducing refusal rates and can save a lot of headache especially if you're working with one or more breeds that are a pain in the butt to get more of if they refuse their intended mate.  If you need pinks or purples, I can breed 'em up for you.  Reds, too--those are especially useful if you're working on a larger lineage and want to shave some time off your egg hatchling.  Aeons are useful, but they're also a lot harder to come by than Pinks so I just built up a bunch of Pinks to influence every egg I breed for a lineage.  If you want to work on a lineage that would require you trading with others (such as one that involves CB prizes or a bunch of CB Valentines of the same breed, for example) then Magis are a must-have as well.  (I can also breed some of those for you as well if needed)

I find it useful to use the Groups feature. I figure out which dragons I need for the lineage and put them all in a group together. So, for example, if you want to make a four-generation Glowback/Scymrian checker such as KageSora illustrated above you would need four caveborn Glowbacks and four caveborn Scymrians. You can put those eight dragons in a group together and edit the sort order so that they are listed in pairs. That way it's easy to find which dragons you want to mate together.

You don't have to do this, but I find it helpful for organization and keeping track of what breedings I need to do.

^ yes group is useful for organizing these. An example of my breeding group for one (probably my only) checker https://dragcave.net/group/197672

The way I do it is get all cbs of the correct gender into the group (in my case, male ember and female red celestials), sort them so that each male pairs up with a female (if I don't have enough CB or an uneven number of female vs male, I take note at this point and start looking for them), then start breeding. I use dividers to more clearly see different generations and always put a dragon next to its mate so that I don't accidentally produce inbred offsprings in the end. Remember to influence the eggs to the right gender too

I wish there's in-group breeding option though (ie only display potential partners from the same group), but alas there isn't such a thing

Thirding groups!  I have a group for every single one of my lineages, though sorting them into pairs and organizing and such can get a bit...  Cumbersome if you're working with a large amount of dragons.  I'm not even bothering with sorting on my Super Giant one just because trying to organize over 1k dragons would be a nightmare.  But for smaller lineages, especially if you organize it as you go, it's a great option.

But I find it very helpful when I have a dragon that's of a breed that I have in more than one group.  Like I've got 2 different lineages that use male Ridgewings.  Organizing by group means I can just go to the dragon's page and check the group listing to see which group it's in so I know which lineage it's part of.

Thank you all! My damnned notifs didn’t tell me that anyone responded :’) thank you for the lineage tester too, my brain just doesn’t visualize this stuff well.

for any mods seeing this, KageSora’s first post is what I’d call the solution, but I’m on mobile so I can’t mark it unfortunately.

4 hours ago, Cuon said:

thank you for the lineage tester too, my brain just doesn’t visualize this stuff well.

You're welcome!  I have the same problem, so I've found it invaluable--especially when considering a lineage with dragons that are harder to obtain vs dirt common.  Don't wanna put in all that effort to build up a CB collection only to realize "oh, wait, I don't like how this looks anywhere near as much as I thought I would" and all.