Aniia

Extra notification when egglocked?

Cause I just bred a 2G prize for a trade, didn't realize I was egglocked, and now the little eggy is gone and I'm heartbroken T_T.

Maybe when we try to breed but are already egglocked there could be an extra 'hey you're egglocked' message, to give a warning? Maybe it could be an optional message, for people who regularly breed to the AP...

If anyone finds egg ~code removed~, I miss it T_T

Edited by purpledragonclaw
Code removed to protect the current owner.

I support this, especially if it is not a very in your way warning, just a little blurb warning you at the top of the breeding page 

30 minutes ago, Aniia said:

Cause I just bred a 2G prize for a trade, didn't realize I was egglocked, and now the little eggy is gone and I'm heartbroken T_T.

Maybe when we try to breed but are already egglocked there could be an extra 'hey you're egglocked' message, to give a warning? Maybe it could be an optional message, for people who regularly breed to the AP...

If anyone finds egg RfkEI, I miss it T_T

Rename the parents - that may help (I just got one back that way.)

But really - even though I do this from time to time - it really isn't that hard to check first. We need to take some responsibility, no ?

I can see it as a useful little warning--doesn't even need to be a pop-up, just a quick little blurb of "hey, any eggs produced will auto-abandon, be sure that's what you want".

That still requires that you take responsibility to pay attention to the message while also giving a little reminder for somebody who may have forgotten to double check, or thought they checked but didn't.

Or as an opt-in pop-up, so those who don't see a need for it or would rather take the risk can do so while those who may have difficulty remembering if the checked or not can have a little reminder.

I'm sorry to hear you lost it! But I think I have to agree with Fuzz, things like that happen to all players, I believe, and it can be heartbreaking but that kind of mistakes are part of the game. Maybe you learn to be more careful next time, maybe not (that would be me).

On a second thought, though, if the warning was just an additional text on the breeding page, I would have nothing against it. I can't see how that could harm anyone, honestly, a short sentence like "Any eggs produced will be abandoned automatically." isn't that much extra text. But pop-ups would be a real annoyance to players who purposely breed eggs to the AP.

10 minutes ago, Tiira said:

On a second thought, though, if the warning was just an additional text on the breeding page, I would have nothing against it. I can't see how that could harm anyone, honestly, a short sentence like "Any eggs produced will be abandoned automatically." isn't that much extra text. But pop-ups would be a real annoyance to players who purposely breed eggs to the AP.

This is actually not a bad idea. Personally when I'm breeding something important I go double check my egg limits, so having that text there would save me the effort. But absolutely no to a pop-up.

41 minutes ago, KageSora said:

would rather take the risk

It's not a risk. It is easy to tell; just check your trophy before you hit breed. You take a RISK when you do something and you don't know what the consequence will be. With breeding, you do know.

And yes - it would be infuriating when we breed to the AP.

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Well, yes, it would be if it were a pop-up "are you sure" kind of message that required a response.

I would be less opposed to a single line of text on the breeding page that warns you that any egg produced will be automatically abandoned.

Still although it can be infuriating to lose an egg this way I'm not sure the game needs to protect us from all our mistakes.

Edited by purplehaze
typo

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It's not a risk. It is easy to tell; just check your trophy before you hit breed. You take a RISK when you do something and you don't know what the consequence will be. With breeding, you do know.

If you have bad enough memory issues, yes, it IS a risk every time you breed.

There are days where I check how many eggs I have 3 times because between navigating back to the breed page from the egg limit page I've already forgotten how many growing things I have and if I'm locked or not.  Especially if I'm trying to breed several things, it's easy to check and then miscount anyway.  Doubly so if I wouldn't be egg-locked specifically but rather total-growing-things-locked, which has happened to me before.

A tiny little line of text going "hey, if you breed this it'll auto-abandon" is not going to inconvenience anybody who's trying to breed to the AP, nor would an opt-in pop-up.  I would, however, be opposed to a mandatory pop-up with no way to disable it.  That wouldn't be fair to people who don't care and/or who are deliberately breeding for the AP (which I do sometimes, too!)

I have absolutely nothing against this solution as long as the line is just a simple line of text! People have memory issues. Some people just forget. Some people are breeding while doing other things. This is not proposing a fail safe, or a punishment to those with good memories, or check their trophy page every single time they breed, or people who deliberately breed to the AP. It's a quality of life, simple line of text, for the people who need it. I can't see how this could possibly be a bad thing, or un-useful to people who need it. I can't see how this could possibly be a detriment to people who don't.

Support.

The only issue I see with added text is how often will people actually read/notice? The breed page is one you stop reading after awhile. And I just see the same problem but now its "I didn't see the warning before I auto-clicked confirm" rather than "I forgot to check". It might prevent some auto abandons but so does actually checking first. It just moves where the problem occurs. 

I actually dont care one way or the other. I dont want popups, optional or otherwise, but I have nothing against adding text. I just don't think it will as effective as some believe.

40 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

The only issue I see with added text is how often will people actually read/notice?

This. I've seen *plenty* of posts around here from people who did some action on accident that *does* have a confirmation (BSAs, for instance, or manual abandons). Because they automatically confirm without double-checking, because that's how they are used to doing it and it's just become routine. Is a little bit of extra text *really* going to help, or are we going to get the same posts we do now with people still not noticing?

I'm not opposed to a notification/warning/whatever *IF* it's just a simple bit of text (no pop-up confirmations and NO big exclamation point boxes like with sickness please!), I just honestly am not sure how much that would actually help the people who already make this mistake. 

What if the text/highlight is a different color? It'll draw people's eyes to it but hopefully won't be to in the way? I don't want this huge warning like sickness, but just to make sure I know it's there 

4 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

The only issue I see with added text is how often will people actually read/notice? The breed page is one you stop reading after awhile. And I just see the same problem but now its "I didn't see the warning before I auto-clicked confirm" rather than "I forgot to check". It might prevent some auto abandons but so does actually checking first. It just moves where the problem occurs. 

I actually dont care one way or the other. I dont want popups, optional or otherwise, but I have nothing against adding text. I just don't think it will as effective as some believe.

Personally, I would find it helpful because I do check my limits every time. So yes, sometimes the warning would be missed, and that's entirely normal as user error. Sometimes it might also actually work to remind someone. But on the whole even if it still requires people to pay (almost?) just as much attention, it would save the effort of having to go to a whole other page to double-check for those who are aware enough to do so. Quality of life improvement either way.

Edited by MissK.

I can definitely second this! Just had the same thing happen to me yesterday. Lost my first of the new Ceriuth hybrid, whoops. 

Just for clarification, I wasn't advocating for a pop-up, because I know a lot of people intentionally breed to the AP. But the extra text message would be nice. Believe or not, I did check my egg limits, but then I got distracted and by the time I bred it was too late. Felt like a 100x idiot.

Somebody out there would still make a mistake even if it was a flashing banner that had 50 confirmations and a 2-hour wait to make sure you were really sure you wanted to breed while locked.  So the idea of "well, somebody might not notice so we shouldn't have a line of text warning" seems kind of ridiculous to me.

We also already have multiple safeguards against users making mistakes--if you want to kill/freeze/abandon/trade/us a BSA on a dragon, you have an extra confirmation where you enter your password/type the action you're taking.  If the idea against it is "users need to be responsible and own up to their mistakes" we should totally do away with those safeguards, too, because well you should have just double checked you were doing the right action on the right dragon.  So that argument against it doesn't make sense, either.

A single line of text with an added warning will help some people and it won't hurt anybody else, there's absolutely no reason to argue against the idea other than "I don't like supporting things that are beneficial to others if I don't personally benefit from it, too".

I just autoed a rather important egg :angry:

I still don't support this  - sorry. It was my fault and I own that.

47 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Of course it's everyone's own fault. Would it completely take away responsibility from the user to just change the text if locked? Definitely less so than action confirmations, which we already have. Would this suggestion inconvenience you in any way that makes you not want it implemented as opposed to just being neutral?

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Okay, and...?

Do you also think we need to remove the existing safeguards against killing/freezing/abandoning/using a BSA that currently exist?  What's being proposed here is less intrusive than those.

Support. It's non-intrusive if it's just an extra line of text, and will just make the game a little friendlier! KageSora already outlined this far better than I could, but Dragon Cave isn't a game about having to be super vigilant with every action, it's largely a game where we're meant to be easily able to take the actions that we want, and since we're already fully able to see whether an egg will be kept or auto-ed when we breed, there's absolutely no harm in that information being in a slightly more convenient place also.

I support a little text warning (maybe in bold?), not in support of a pop up (but that doesn't seem to be the idea, anyway).

We already have a predecessor for this sort of "quick warning" thing, I don't know why there's some side of one-sided debate against popups. Just do it like the warning when you're about to kill a dragon you've already killed before.

image.png.4f882bc5b90d25982ee9352f566bd1d1.png

There's no point to being against this suggestion unless you want to, I don't know, profit from other people's auto-aps? At worst you could be neutral because if you're oh so vigilant you're not going to be affected by this either way, right? Saying people should take responsibility for mistakes made in a game is weirdly moralistic; it's just a game.

Mockup of a "notification" using the same format as the proxy warning.

764649523_Screenshot-2022-09-15T001942_106.png.0aab8d6083fc68ce53672e1347ca3dff.png

Would strongly prefer this over a popup (annoying) or an extra text line (I think a warning of all things deserves more noticeability than that)

52 minutes ago, Lushwave said:

Mockup of a "notification" using the same format as the proxy warning.

764649523_Screenshot-2022-09-15T001942_106.png.0aab8d6083fc68ce53672e1347ca3dff.png

I absolutely love this mockup, it is not to in the way but it gives the message across