Fuzzbucket

"Remove from breeding pool" (replacing BSA: Render unbreedable)

Support! Having organisational tools for the playerbase is never a bad thing; the better we can curate our own corner of the cave, the better the experience playing the game.

And for my own part, I don't really collect messies unless they're frozen hatchlings, but I have some inbred adults that I really like, but would never breed. As it stands, if I ever accidentally bred them, I'd have to kill the egg myself, wait for the shell sprite to disappear, then wait for the 'children' thing to disappear, and still be stuck with 'last bred' on a dragon who never should have been bred in the first place.

I also can't really see any downside to this? It'll cut the current potential for things that upset people's goals and playstyles, and brings with it no penalty whatsoever (to the best of my understanding).

Edited by StarlightLion

I would be really delighted of this! There are several dragons I do not breed for one reason or another at all, one example being any extra dragon that I happen to raise after that particular breed's collection goals would be done. Or when finishing lineage project and the "sample" dragon(s) would just sit in breeding page for absolutely no reason.

I support this as a toggle per-dragon, likely on its Action page.

Protochroma has this nifty option:

0RDlfGT.png

07fZ3FM.png

and I see no reason it can't work like this on DC as well.

3 hours ago, Keileon said:

I support this as a toggle per-dragon, likely on its Action page.

Protochroma has this nifty option:

0RDlfGT.png

07fZ3FM.png

and I see no reason it can't work like this on DC as well.

That would make sense, though in order to keep it consistent with the rest of the actions page and such I'd imagine it'd be more along the lines of how fogging is handled--click one to remove, click again to restore, etc.

6 hours ago, KageSora said:

That would make sense, though in order to keep it consistent with the rest of the actions page and such I'd imagine it'd be more along the lines of how fogging is handled--click one to remove, click again to restore, etc.

Yes, that would work even if it's a bit less convenient. Ideally both would be toggle boxes like that, but that's not the point of this suggestion-- I would honestly settle for DC adding a "toggles" section to a dragon's action page which includes hiding from breeding searches.

I dont see why not. Toggles could be useful due to the reversibility of it; maybe you want to hold off breeding a particular dragon entirely, whilst breeding past mates? Takes the risk of a misclick out.

I also have messies I dont wanna breed, including old prize lines bred prior to CBs and its annoying to misclick and breed them. Id like to keep some of them, e.g. for markers or sentiment, but not breed.

That zap sound is the static electricity of me, posting this post to say hey yeah this would be stellar useful! 

Toggling to take dragons out of the equation would be so nice because I am a prone to accidents type of person and it has happened and will continue to happen (again)! Spreadsheets and memory are holding up the battlefronts but this would be a major win honestly, for org tools all around. 

I've been breeding a lot recently, and thinking about how nice it would be to not scroll through dozens of partway-up-a-lineage- dragons who I'll never want to breed again. I'd happily go through and toggle their breeding off one at a time if that's how the mechanism needed to work.

On 4/19/2023 at 6:52 AM, _Charky said:

I've been breeding a lot recently, and thinking about how nice it would be to not scroll through dozens of partway-up-a-lineage- dragons who I'll never want to breed again. I'd happily go through and toggle their breeding off one at a time if that's how the mechanism needed to work.

Isn't this the point of having groups? If you only want specific dragons breeding with each other, put them all in a group so you can easily keep track of them and learn their names so you can find them when you wish to breed 2 together. Doesn't make sense to keep toggling breeding on/off when you can just be careful and ignore the dragons you don't wish to breed.

2 hours ago, Thorn4 said:

Isn't this the point of having groups? If you only want specific dragons breeding with each other, put them all in a group so you can easily keep track of them and learn their names so you can find them when you wish to breed 2 together. Doesn't make sense to keep toggling breeding on/off when you can just be careful and ignore the dragons you don't wish to breed.

The problem is that groups don't have a "only allow breeding within this group" function, and not all dragons are named.  Some of us find it extremely difficult to memorize codes when they're gibberish so trying to find the dragon on the breeding page for the first time is a pain.

It's also easy to mis-click, breeding with the wrong dragon because the page lagged and loaded another dragon when you were going to click the breed button.

Groups also don't help if you have some dragons you just NEVER want to breed again or you have dragons that you changed mates with but past mates still keep showing up in the breeding list because, again, easy to misclick the wrong one especially if you previously bred them frequently.

Besides, a toggle wouldn't be required--there's no reason you couldn't simply use groups if preferred rather than using the toggle.  It doesn't have to be an either-or.

Exactly this. I DO have groups for important stuff - and still I have had Horrible Accidents. my latest being particularly painful:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/traHh.

He's inbred. If I had knocked out ones I had already used...

9 hours ago, KageSora said:

It's also easy to mis-click, breeding with the wrong dragon because the page lagged and loaded another dragon when you were going to click the breed button.

Groups also don't help if you have some dragons you just NEVER want to breed again or you have dragons that you changed mates with but past mates still keep showing up in the breeding list because, again, easy to misclick the wrong one especially if you previously bred them frequently.

Yup.

9 hours ago, KageSora said:

Besides, a toggle wouldn't be required--there's no reason you couldn't simply use groups if preferred rather than using the toggle.  It doesn't have to be an either-or.

This too. No toggle needed.

In my case everything is named so that I'd never mix up the dragons and breed them by accident, and yes I do have them in groups, but I still have to scroll through them all on the breeding page. Having to pass several dozen lineage embers (that I will NEVER breed again, but can't release because being named is the point of them) every time I breed anything gets old REAL quick.

There's also the fact that names have to be unique, and thus naming all your dragons isn't always going to be an option. I have 4000 dragons and only 50% of them are named lol. A toggle or some other sort of organization system would be extremely useful. Therefore I support this suggestion, especially if you can turn it off and on.

Edited by Skadi

I really support this idea! I used to do a lot of stupid breeding pairs when I was a dumb kid playing this game. Now that I actually care about making nice lineages, it would be great to undo my mistakes from when I was 11. :P 

i'd cackle real hard if this is implemented as an action, and it ends up being called "Celibacy" hahhahaa

i wonder if there's a similar word that is not related to religion. Abstention maybe?

anyway, i support this! however it ends up being implemented. for mistakes like these: https://dragcave.net/lineage/eSefS

Actually I thought it would be a really useful feature to have the list of the breeding action as two pages - the first page the dragons one has a breeding partners (where you can add or delete partners like in the groups - and if this would be sortable, this would be totally cool), plus a second page where you have all other electable dragons so that you can choose additional partners if you want.

(Like this:

- Partner 1

- Partner 2

- Partner 3

- list all possible breeding partners)

The advantage would be that the first page would be much shorter and thus loads faster (+less unnecessary bandwith usage) , you could delete mistaken partners and you could still add additional partners if you wish from the full list.

Edited by Astreya

Why not just rename the "offending" dragon? I add "DNB" to the end of the name--- Do Not Breed.  Or NFLB= Not For Lineage Breeding.  

1 hour ago, wbmorgan said:

Why not just rename the "offending" dragon? I add "DNB" to the end of the name--- Do Not Breed.  Or NFLB= Not For Lineage Breeding.  

Sometimes the dragon is part of a lineage where the names are important so renaming it destroys that (especially if the dragon name takes up all the character space so you can't just add something to the end)

On 4/24/2023 at 10:24 AM, wbmorgan said:

I have very specific naming schema for my CB dragons, and my lineaged dragons have names that would be destroyed by adding tags like this. I name every single one of my dragons (excepting the very rare code that I want to keep, of which I have 4 total, and one is a Cheese), and I have over 3k dragons. Every single dang one of my dragons has a nice name because I like to name things. Adding ugly organisational tags would a) take a really long time for me to do, because I'd have to do it manually and check every single lineage, and b) as just noted, be incredibly ugly to me. I like my names. I don't like in-name tags. You'll never find any of my dragons named with 'CB' or gender denoting or anything like that.

And frankly, even if that wasn't the case, I shouldn't have to have tags in my dragons' names to have the organisational tools suggested here. These suggestions are simply QoL - there are messy, ugly alternatives, sure, but why would giving us more tools with which to organise and care for our dragons, and play how we want to, ever be a bad thing?

This should absolutely be a feature. I have quite a few dragons I won't be breeding- 12th gen balloon, anyone? Assortment of messy-gen magi and other BSAs? 

On 4/23/2023 at 11:24 PM, wbmorgan said:

again, I already do this - and it does help- but that doesn't remove the need to scroll past them all.

Why do we even need a BSA? Couldn't we just get a "Sterilize" action?

The discussion now seems to be more about a toggleable option to remove the dragon from the list of mates that comes up when you go to breed a dragon, which IMO is a good idea on multiple levels. Not least because it's reversible and doesn't involve sterilizing sapient creatures. 

51 minutes ago, Fishkeeper said:

...it's reversible and doesn't involve sterilizing sapient creatures. 

This was what I was warming to !

You can also use CTRL+F to find the dragon you plan on breeding to another one if you are keeping track of which dragon breeds with who. That's how I get around scrolling down a list of breed-ready dragons. Not as useful for mobile users, but on PC it's not a problem.