Fuzzbucket

"Remove from breeding pool" (replacing BSA: Render unbreedable)

(I don't actually want this for myself, but it seems to be a facility that others want !)

Could creators of new breeds please consider a new dragon with a BSA to render an existing adult you never want to breed EVER, for whatever reason, unbreedable, thus removing it from the breeding list to avoid accidental breeding - maybe also with the ability to undo it later. CD would need to be long, I think - 2 weeks at least.

I think this works better than the suggestion to make such a dragon revert to being a frozen hatchie to make it unbreedable., Thoughts ?

MUCH better idea, from posts in this thread - could we just have an action to "remove from breeding pool"; it could have a limit or a CD, and could even be reversible, also with limits,.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I guess I just don't understand... why? This kinda seems like it serves one, very niche and inconsequential purpose. I don't think an entire BSA is needed for when you just make a mistake. Sure, breeding the wrong dragon is annoying and I'm sure it happens all the time at the least convenient times imaginable, but this just seems so unnecessary. I am aggresively neutral about the revert BSA suggestion, but I could possibly see a world where that could be useful for many different reasons, if perhaps tweaked a bit. I can't see that for this one. No support.

Simply because there is no other way to remove a dragon from the breeding pool, and a lot of people ask how to do that in other help threads. As I say - I really don't care, but it seems to exercise the minds of quite a few players. And I do think it works better than another current suggestion covering this, to revert such dragons to frozen hatchies. Even something simply to "remove from breeding pool" if you like. As I say - genuinely "asking for a friend: stuff ! I don't care about either one, but the revert one seems like a real non-starter to me - and this was one side of it that was suggested as a benefit.

Is the point to remove the dragon from the breeding pool entirely, or just from another dragon's list because they were bred together by accident? If it's the latter, there was a suggestion about it already, and in my opinion it would be much more logical than turning an adult into a hatchling. 

If it's the former, I don't really see the use honestly. The only reason I can think is lore, but surely then it wouldn't fit to change the stage of the dragon just to make it unbreedable? And if they just don't want it bred because it grew up by accident, then...well, 'revert' seems more fitting. 

23 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Simply because there is no other way to remove a dragon from the breeding pool, and a lot of people ask how to do that in other help threads. As I say - I really don't care, but it seems to exercise the minds of quite a few players. And I do think it works better than another current suggestion covering this, to revert such dragons to frozen hatchies. Even something simply to "remove from breeding pool" if you like. As I say - genuinely "asking for a friend: stuff ! I don't care about either one, but the revert one seems like a real non-starter to me - and this was one side of it that was suggested as a benefit.

But an entire BSA, just to keep an adult dragon from breeding? To solve a minor inconvenience? It just doesn't make any logical sense. It also seems like it's trying to serve an entirely different purpose than the suggestion it's suggesting against (reverting a dragon back to a previous stage for it to be frozen does NOT equal keeping that dragon an adult and not allowing it to breed).

I personally haven't seen anyone ask for something like this, and I'm also not sure why, if you have stated above that you don't want this, why you would feel the need to suggest it? The people who would want it and would use it would be able to give more reasoning and ideas on an actual solution- in my opinion- and I have seen no one want this. Again, it serves one purpose, and it's not a purpose that bares any weight. It would be adding a needless mechanic, while only minorly solving the non-issue it's trying to solve. So what if that one dragon can't show up in the breeding list anymore? You could still accidentally breed it to another dragon. Adding a whole BSA for that? It's just nonsensical. I can't see any reason for it, I can't see anyone using it, I can't see it solving the one problem it is supposed to solve. Can't support.

If all this is trying to solve is accidental breedings or the breeding list being to long or whatever, having a search feature is a far better solution, as it solves not only this, but all of the other problems that comes with breeding a dragon with multiple mates or a new mate. The reason at least I want revert is because I want those dragons to be hatchling, I never wanted them to grow up in the first place. While yes removing them from the breeding pool is a bonus, it isn't the main point of the suggestion. 

idk, we have an "entire BSA" that literally does nothing, just for the sake of a Pokemon joke.

I don't know that I'd use an action to render a dragon unbreedable often, but I'd definitely use it sometimes. It'd be a nice-to-have.

8 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

idk, we have an "entire BSA" that literally does nothing, just for the sake of a Pokemon joke.

Well, yes, but that BSA is not only very funny, but was also easy to implement because it does absolutely nothing. The "entire BSA" point I made was mostly directed to the amount of effort it would take to implement it. Granted, it wouldn't be hard to implement it, but compared to the amount said BSA would actually solve, I personally don't think it would be worth effort. 

@Stromboli Maybe it would help us understand if you explained a bit more about why you'd use it. Are there extra benefits compared to other existing suggestions, such as removing mates from the list or filtering/searching in the breeding page?

The thread above about removing past mates doesn't help as much if I want a dragon fully removed from breeding options for any dragon. Making the breeding list filterable may be helpful if I'm looking for a particular mate, but perhaps less so if I want to exclude particular dragons.

For example, from a lineage project I've got a metric ton of CB Brutes. I don't typically breed anything lower than 4th gen from that lineage anymore, and that gives me like a thousand CB-3G dragons that I don't really intend to use anymore. I can't release them, 'cause they'll lose their names and ruin the lineage. If I want to find a CB brute that's not part of the lineage, I can filter by #cb #brutedragon, and then have to search through the though the 1,227 results for a dragon I can use.

Then I've got dragons that, from the story I've given in their description, I didn't intend to breed, but have already messed up 😅 If I could've marked them as unbreedable at the time I wrote the description, I certainly would've.

idk that a BSA is necessarily the best route, since they tend to require cooldowns and that'd be a pain, but a feature to take specific dragons out of the breeding list altogether would be something I would use.

4 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Then I've got dragons that, from the story I've given in their description, I didn't intend to breed, but have already messed up 😅 If I could've marked them as unbreedable at the time I wrote the description, I certainly would've.

idk that a BSA is necessarily the best route, since they tend to require cooldowns and that'd be a pain, but a feature to take specific dragons out of the breeding list altogether would be something I would use.

THIS I can understand, actually. Still don't support a BSA for it (like you said) and I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the need for it other than very specific situations like this one, but I am starting to see a little of where the suggestion itself is coming from, thank you!

Thanks,Stromboli - I think you were one of the people I have seen in threads asking for some way to filter !

I could definitely support a fog type system for this, where you could turn it off and on for certain dragons 

I do think this would be useful—but not as a BSA? I agree that it should be just an option you can choose.

I think it'd be nice if it was possible to remove dragons from an individual breeding list, as well as mark a dragon as unavailable for breeding removing it from lists globally until you undo this action. I think this in combination with filters would make things much easier for people in general! Perhaps there could be a page like the add to groups page to mass mark dragons as unavailable for people with thousands of them?

I feel like a BSA would be too permanent for something like breeding. As I see it, BSAs are helpful abilities with limitations specifically so that these abilities aren't abused (or, in Splash's case, so that the patience and persistence of a user can be rewarded). Summon is limited so people don't get bottomless dragons; precog, so that the mechanic of chance isn't completely obliterated; stun, so that freeze can't be bypassed, etc.

What I understand you're suggesting is an organizational feature, like how we have manual sorting or the ability to hide eggs, dragons, or our whole scroll. To put it into perspective, if there was a BSA to permanently add dragons to a group with any length of a cooldown, it would be an oddly hindering use of BSAs. There's nothing about organizing your scroll that provides a power people can abuse to get an unfair advantage. I don't support this as a BSA, but as someone who appreciates the awesome organization of some scrolls on this site, being able to toggle dragons as universally unbreedable to make easier the breeding process would be a neat scroll action!

If there was some sort of sterilize option, whether filter or BSA, I would use it.

In my grouped dragons, I have 7408 messy lineaged dragons that I never want to breed plus I have a bunch that I haven't grouped yet. Many of them would have been frozen if I could have, but there aren't enough freeze spots.

There's definitely some dragons I'd be happy to remove from breeding pools but that I don't want to kill/release for various reasons.  It would be useful, I think.  Removing them from individual breeding lists is useful, but some I'd rather just not allow to breed at all.

But I dunno about as a BSA--I think it would make more sense as a standard action the way Kill, Freeze, Fog, and Revive are.  I could see a BSA being used to undo a breed-binding (expand the use of Fertility, perhaps?), but the action itself I think makes more sense as a standard action.  Personally, I think it would work best along the lines of Fog--no limit and you can enable/disable it at will, simply because I can't see any potential for it to be abused/circumvent other in-game limits.

I also think that this would work better as a simple option that we could turn on and off as needed (eg "Remove from Breeding Options" and "Restore to Breeding Options"). Since it would be a simple organizational tool I think it being something we could use freely would make more sense than a BSA.

Also, here's a hypothetical scenario: Let's say someone didn't like Aranoa dragons. They wanted to have Aranoas on their scroll for their completion goal, but due to disliking the breed they never wanted to breed more or use them in a lineage. So they use a BSA to render them permanently unbreedable. Then this most recent release happens, and suddenly they need those Aranoas to breed the new hybrids to get their new scroll completion goals. Of course this is just one particular scenario, and you could say that that's an acceptible risk that people would take to use the BSA, but speaking more broadly people's scroll goals and breeding needs can change over time, and anything that would have a permanent effect like a BSA would in this instance could be somewhat hazardous in the long term.

Echoing previous comments, no support for the BSA but strong support for just a simple action of "Remove from Breeding Options" and "Restore to Breeding Options" on dragons' action pages. I believe this will make players' lives a little easier, less worrying about mistakes of this nature, and there are no downsides/ways to abuse this that I can see so I don't see the need to limit it.

I support and would use this. I have a few messy dragons I keep around for posterity and it would be nice not to have them in the breeding screen. I do think it should in some way be reversable, though, if only to stop a bunch of "how do I make a dragon avaliable for breeding again?" questions which would just replace the current "how do I make a dragon not avaliable for breeding?" ones.

I have to say - whoever it was said this would be better as an action - I agree; forget the BSA bit. Amending accordingly. I was fixated on BSAs because the other suggestion was for a BSA. Action to "remove from breeding pool" would be fine - no need for infertility..

+1 support for this. There are several dragons I love and have accidentally bred in the past but I don't want to do so again, haha.