sugarfreesugar

ANSWERED:What was the first dragon with a 5-digit code?

Hi, so I'm running a little "experiment" and I was wondering if there is record of the first dragon with a 5-digit code? I am also wondering if there is any (public) running count of exactly how many dragons have been created during DC's existence! If you have answers to either of these questions, I'd appreciate it greatly!

(ps: my reasons are secret... for now.)

I'm guessing only TJ has access to the full count of how many dragons exist and to the knowledge of the first five-digit dragon, so you might just have to ask him directly and see if he tells you. It can be narrowed down a bit, since the five-digit code change was made on June 10, 2011; thus, the first five-digit dragon egg must have been created/laid/stolen on June 10, 2011. From there, though, you'd have to know how the dragon codes are generated to know what the first one would have been, and as far as I know the algorithm is secret.

9 minutes ago, Caliscurum said:

I'm guessing only TJ has access to the full count of how many dragons exist and to the knowledge of the first five-digit dragon, so you might just have to ask him directly and see if he tells you. It can be narrowed down a bit, since the five-digit code change was made on June 10, 2011; thus, the first five-digit dragon egg must have been created/laid/stolen on June 10, 2011. From there, though, you'd have to know how the dragon codes are generated to know what the first one would have been, and as far as I know the algorithm is secret.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... interesting. I could try to ask TJ, but if it's tip-top secret, I dunno if he'd answer... Thanks for the info, though!! ❤️

If I find out anything I'll let ya know 🙂 it's possible he wouldn't mind sharing the dragon count at least, Dragon Cave already has a live user count.

But since you say your reasons for asking are a secret, he probably wouldn't say - in case you are planning something DC related involving engineering..

As a matter of interest - would you want to include all the ones that never got picked up; that died or died on burned scrolls, that were killed, that went wild, or what ? Ar you actually hoping to find out how many 4 digit codes there were before more had to be added ?

48 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

As a matter of interest - would you want to include all the ones that never got picked up; that died or died on burned scrolls, that were killed, that went wild, or what ? Ar you actually hoping to find out how many 4 digit codes there were before more had to be added ?

In terms of the ongoing count, it would include all dragons that had been created since DC's creation! This would include killed, wild, frozen, etc. etc. as long as they had a code at some point in their existence that can no longer be repeated!

In terms of the first 5-digit, if I could find out how many were before it, that'd be awesome, though I don't necessarily need it (at least not right this instant)!

I don't think @TJ09 would want to tell you that without knowing why you want to know. The mention of needing to know suggests you want to use the information.

And you do know that codes get recycled ?

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Just now, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't think @TJ09 would want to tell you that without knowing why you want to know. The mention of needing to know suggests you want to use the information.

Oh!!! Well I'd tell him, of course! I meant that the bigger scope of what I'd use the information for would be secret to the wider forum!! Sorry, I should've been more clear!!

If you're using it for an infographic, a data analysis/school project, or for academic research it's possible he wouldn't mind sharing data with you, but it's completely up to his discretion. The total dragon count at least should be fine, but the first five-digit dragon could be secret because it would draw attention towards said dragon that the owner might not necessarily want - same reason it's taboo here to post links to other people's dragons without their consent.

39 minutes ago, Caliscurum said:

The total dragon count at least should be fine, but the first five-digit dragon could be secret because it would draw attention towards said dragon that the owner might not necessarily want - same reason it's taboo here to post links to other people's dragons without their consent.

I have thought about the possibility that the first 5-digit dragon would belong to a user who did not want that dragon shared around, which is why I would by no means pressure TJ or that person for that information!! I wouldn't want to cause anyone distress, break any rules, or otherwise- I am simply just curious, and I am okay with no answer! All it means is that I wouldn't be able to get access to that information, and I wouldn't be able to fully research the topic, and that is completely FINE!!! What I have planned is by no means essential, and ot is so early in production that it is not even a "passion project!" I would be respectful of any answer I got!! ❤️

It is possible that the person with the first 5-digit dragon doesn't even know that they have it. I am actually not sure how they would know that theirs was the first.

17 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

It is possible that the person with the first 5-digit dragon doesn't even know that they have it. I am actually not sure how they would know that theirs was the first.

Very true!! Which is why if/when I would obtain that information, I'd work to be 100% sure that that person would know that I had that kind of information, and that it would be entirely their choice if I shared it or not!!

In terms if how they would know... I'm not sure, either!! I have a few ideas as to how that information could be found, but it would depend on a couple bits-and-baps and what kind of information I can actually plausibly glean. We'll see!!!

On 8/27/2022 at 11:36 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

And you do know that codes get recycled ?

Do they? I've always wondered about this, since I've seen some good codes in the Caves that I can't always grab (lack of space, etc), so sometimes I watch to see if somebody else grabs them, but a lot just seem to get "destroyed" or "disappear" into the ether when the eggs in the cave are replaced and no one has grabbed the old ones. I was hoping that wouldn't be permanent and that the codes could be reused for new eggs.

I know code recycling definitely used to happen because it sometimes created comical bugs in lineages when dead dragons with offspring had their codes reused, but I'm not sure if TJ is still recycling codes in those cases. I suspect any codes used for eggs not picked up from the cave are indeed recycled since they were never even touched by a player, it's probably true for any dragon without offspring since it won't lead to lineage mishaps.

It would be cool to know the first dragon with a 5-digit code if it still exists, I don't know if TJ would know/give that information out but he's pretty chill these days so it's possible.

On 11/7/2022 at 9:18 AM, Spiteful_Crow said:

Do they? I've always wondered about this, since I've seen some good codes in the Caves that I can't always grab (lack of space, etc), so sometimes I watch to see if somebody else grabs them, but a lot just seem to get "destroyed" or "disappear" into the ether when the eggs in the cave are replaced and no one has grabbed the old ones. I was hoping that wouldn't be permanent and that the codes could be reused for new eggs.

OH YES. For a brief while I had a lovely anagallis whose CB ancestors included an all male pair. Sadly when this was mentioned in the forum,. TJ murdered them :(

https://dragcave.net/lineage/8gsXE

Others can testify. @Terces bred her for me, and I know they knew at the time - I had asked for a baby !

On 11/7/2022 at 3:18 AM, Spiteful_Crow said:

They aren't recycled in that they're used for the next eggs immediately, they just go back into the wider pool of codes that can be randomly generated. The odds of them actually being recycled are so low as to be negligible since there are-- millions? over a billion? somewhere around that--possible codes with 5 characters, while 4 character codes had a much smaller pool. 

6 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

TJ murdered them

Going to say in advance for anyone reading that TJ likely did not kill the actual dragons, he just cut off the lineage connection. It seems he cleaned up the game some years back of weird one-off stuff like the leetle tree with a parent and the stone x pygmy egg, so it's probably the same situation here.

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

They show as tombstones with no codes. That's murder by my lights.

Same is true of the Silver mother at the lineage base of this Split Dorkface. It was a glitch that TJ "fixed" by replacing her with a tombstone.

However, the dragon herself is still alive on a user's scroll.

Could be the same for yours.

A matter of opinion whether or not that is murder.

Edited by purplehaze

I had a line I loved and now I don't.

I can't see that Silver; it comes up as "can't find..."

30 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

can't see that Silver; it comes up as "can't find..."

You can't see it from there, but it does still exist. I forget her name now. Will have to see if I can find it.

Edit: @Fuzzbucket

I found her. https://dragcave.net/view/6lPA

Read her description.

Edited by purplehaze

That's tragic....

(See below: I did; that was how I found I couldn't get to the Silver...)

Edited by Fuzzbucket

25 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

That's tragic....

I know. And if you read the father's description -- you can access it through the lineage link for my dragon above -- it is similarly tragic, as is their son's. Tragedy all around!

As much as I personally enjoyed reading about the old lineages, let's move this thread back on topic. :) 

15 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

They aren't recycled in that they're used for the next eggs immediately, they just go back into the wider pool of codes that can be randomly generated. The odds of them actually being recycled are so low as to be negligible since there are-- millions? over a billion? somewhere around that--possible codes with 5 characters, while 4 character codes had a much smaller pool. 

I figured they wouldn't be reused right away, but I didn't know the odds of them being recycled was that low. Still, I guess it's better than nothing?

Regarding all the random freak lineages, it's a shame they're no longer around (I think I did see the Pygmy x Stone lineage briefly), but I can understand why they were changed. However, to try to stay on topic as requested, maybe somebody could start a new thread for discussing them? (I'd love to see if anyone has screenshots.)

As for OP's little project, you should know that publicly announcing something like this is only going to make us curious. ;) So you might as well either spill the beans, or just ask TJ himself. Or ask a mod to ask him, since I don't think he answers PMs from regular users very often unless it's something important.

19 minutes ago, Spiteful_Crow said:

As for OP's little project, you should know that publicly announcing something like this is only going to make us curious. ;) So you might as well either spill the beans, or just ask TJ himself. Or ask a mod to ask him, since I don't think he answers PMs from regular users very often unless it's something important.

This - very much. As things stand, if I knew, I wouldn't say, as I don't know what the info would be used for. @TJ09 - any word on "NO WAY" or anything ?