Lagie

LEGO

I'm sure I'm not the only LEGO fan here, though technically I'm an AFOL (Adult Fan of LEGO), so here's a place to discuss the awesome plastic brick, to show off your creations, and maybe hold a small contest or two.

Before we begin, there is no plural of LEGO as it is the company name. ;)

This is best explained by LEGO themselves:

Screenshot_20220822-144314.thumb.jpg.798142d1ae72d3ed4387bd9724efcba6.jpg

Play well! :D

Today's project was a piece inventory of a set that came into my thrift shop.

Screenshot_20220822-144849.thumb.jpg.cdd43d805c9cc98a5571647601c37a61.jpg

There are seven pieces missing. I'll be able to replace all but one of them out of my collection.

@GhostMouse, here you go! ;)

Yay! I'll get some pictures to share soon.

Have you watched Lego Masters? I only have access to the American version (I know there's an Australian one and possibly others?), but that's where I learned that there's no such thing as "Legos." The judging can be weird but the creations are very cool.

19 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

Have you watched Lego Masters?

In Germany, RTL are just showing the 2022 edition of the LEGO Masters.   Next Friday we can see the 3rd episode (of 6).

My brother and I had quite some LEGO bricks when we were little, but I have to admit that I soon switched to Fischertechnik as at that time they had more electronics stuff and also an electric styrofoam sawing kit (the latter I used to create nicely flying styrofoam airplane models).

In our time, the LEGO bricks were not too varied yet, and one of my brother's and my favourite pastime was building the sturdiest spaceships that we then let fall down from about 2 metres height to see which survived the crash landing better. XD

Edited by Astreya

I focused on LEGO Super Mario series these days. I had built a NES and a ? block.

Back on childhood, I also had a LEGO soccer game -

I like the castle sets but they don't make them as often as often as they used to. Here's a picture of the castle sets I did find

20220824_224033.jpg

Nice! There's a new 'retro' castle set just released, but it's massive and about $400 USD so I doubt I'll be getting it.

1 hour ago, Lagie said:

Nice! There's a new 'retro' castle set just released, but it's massive and about $400 USD so I doubt I'll be getting it.

I heard about that many people had to choose one from mentioned one and loopcoaster.  And most chose castle one because of size and movement issue that coaster had.

Lion castle one is sold out in LEGO store online this place XD

The 88015 battery box I ordered from Europe just arrived so I could finally motorized my loopcoaster -  

How have we not had a LEGO thread before???

I love those little bricks that are painful to step on! I got back into them as an adult and have the following sets:

Voltron, Tree House, both Friends sets, and pretty much every Christmas set. I made the various flower and botanical sets (minus the Bonsai Tree) for my mother and the Jazz Quartet set for my father as well. 

LEGO Masters picks back up September 21st and I'm looking forward to it!

That Lion Castle set is thankfully not my jam, but now I need to check out the new sets because I haven't looked at their site in a few months. Which reminds me, they've retired more sets! I've got to make sure I've got the ones I want from the list.

ETA: Sorry, I put the wrong date on LEGO Masters! It comes back September 21st.

Edited by purpledragonclaw
Correcting the date on the LEGO Masters return.

My kids were all HUGE LEGO fans... I still have a lot of their sets in their original boxes in the attic! The youngest grandchild is enjoying playing with the same DUPLO sets that her Uncle did :) .

I still have most of the Lego blocks that my kids had. Just basic blocks -- none of the fancy sets. I have always really enjoyed building along with them and got them out for my granddaughter so I could build with her. Then the pandemic happened. Now she thinks she is too old for those things. :(

6 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I still have most of the Lego blocks that my kids had. Just basic blocks -- none of the fancy sets. I have always really enjoyed building along with them and got them out for my granddaughter so I could build with her. Then the pandemic happened. Now she thinks she is too old for those things. :(

Pick up one of the smaller Friends sets. ;) That might entice her back. (Or just tell her I'm 57... one's never too old for LEGO! XD )

On 8/26/2022 at 2:27 PM, Lagie said:

Pick up one of the smaller Friends sets. ;) That might entice her back. (Or just tell her I'm 57... one's never too old for LEGO! XD )

I have each and every Friends cube they made (the ones like the old Polly Pockets). I hope LEGO keeps making those, I love them! And I agree, you're never too old for LEGO!

On 8/28/2022 at 3:32 PM, purpledragonclaw said:

have each and every Friends cube they made (the ones like the old Polly Pockets).

Nice! :)

I did my first real LEGO Dots project today. (Sorry for the crooked photo.)

Screenshot_20220905-211035.thumb.jpg.2c193e5de8c018059587baac02d36e4c.jpg

That is not why I bought the white baseplates, but it worked well.

Hello, I've just discovered this Lego discussion 🙂

I'm an afol. I never had it as a kid, though always wanted it. I don't have children or grandchildren, so can't use them for an excuse 😀. Got into it about ten years ago, after finding some bits at flea markets. Made a little diorama with dragons, witches and a tarot reader. A few years later,  I bought the attack of the wargs lotr set, mainly for the fabulous moveable tree.  Couldn't afford to buy the big boxed sets then, but last year during lockdowns,  I found the tree house and the medieval blacksmith sets for 20%off, so have them now. 

I like the medieval and castle ones best,  and harry potter, and anything with trees.  I'd love to get the lion knights castle, but it's an astronomical price. Meanwhile I'm trying to build a castle from flea market pieces. 

I look for second hand Lego on ebay, always hoping to find the medieval market at an affordable price. 

Never too old for lego, or dragons... I'm 62. 

3 hours ago, greycat said:

found the tree house

I loved the treehouse! I missed release day on my last trip to Canada before the lockdown (by twenty-four hours...) so had to import it in here. LEGo doesn't ship to the Bahamas. :P Those tee stems were hard on the fingers, though.

My latest entry at Brick-by-Brick (a Facebook group) for the theme 'Dancing' - "Left Foot In".

Screenshot_20220908-074055.jpg.cb4a04dd559612269b4f42c8073cf528.jpg

I nearly always finish last but enjoy the building!

3 hours ago, greycat said:

second hand Lego on ebay

Facebook Marketplace also seems to be a good source. And thrift shops and garage sales.

Edited by Lagie

I have never been a fan of Lego, but my son was and still is.

Strangely, every time we would go on vacation, either my son ore a niece/nephew (whoever we would bring of my sister's kids) would suddenly yell out "Legos!" as they would find one or 2 in a random spot. I don't know why they were always so successful finding them, but at how much they cost, I don't understand why people are so careless.

My middle son transitioned from being a child fan to an adult fan of LEGO.  In fact, he has a whole room in his house dedicated to his collection (almost universally Star Wars sets, though there are a few Harry Potter sets).  He's talked about even doing stop-action video with his sets, though I don't know how serious he is about that.  The collection includes sets that he got when he was a little kid (under 12) all the way up to the sets he buys himself, which now also includes some of those UCS versions. 

p2erk9q1kao91.jpg

Hey @Lagie

It took me a bit to figure out the first figure is a trick or treater in a pug dog costume, not an astronaut.

On 9/11/2022 at 8:11 PM, PrincessLucy said:

but at how much they cost, I don't understand why people are so careless.

LEGO bricks are very good at running away and hiding! XD

On 9/15/2022 at 1:06 PM, Maia NaViolith said:

He's talked about even doing stop-action video with his sets,

Ooh, that could be fun to see if he does.

8 hours ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

the first figure is a trick or treater in a pug dog costume, not an astronaut.

I actually have the 'pug boy' minifigure. Weirdly, in the single packs, the bones he comes with are turquoise, not the usual white. I wish somewhere here had those Build-a-Minifigure stations.

My latest entry at Brick by Brick was a quilt. The person hosting the contest took all our entries and made one big quilt out of them which turned out nicely. My square:

Screenshot_20220911-090103.thumb.jpg.bec4d1134fbabedfe8977330f195d85a.jpg

Someone actually asked if I'm a quilter, which was a nice compliment. (I'm not; I have friends and family who are.)

I've often thought that Lego dots are perfect for designing quilt blocks. 

I do handsewn 'English' hexagon patchwork, not American style quilts. 

I'm in Australia and there's a Lego shop in my city, but I found it rather disappointing when I recently went to look.  I expected a lot more on display, and more of the loose pick and mix bits. They didn't have the lion knight's castle on display, but they had the motorised lighthouse. 

They had the build a minifigure thing, but I couldn't find any of the pieces I wanted. 

Edited by greycat

Just saying LEGO isn't only for children, I'm 25 and I love building and buying LEGO. Recently I've started with a couple of sets (sorry if I didn't uploadpictures of the sets, but maybe once I get my city slightly bigger,I will update on what I have) :) 

Edited by _Terminus24

41 minutes ago, sh20000sh said:

I added some light bricks to my LEGO loopcoaster. And finally fixed all movement flaws.

Nice. The lighting is cool.

The only time I've tried lighting a set was when I stuck one of my colored Luci lights inside the Taj Mahal. (LEGO is a great way to pass the time when you're hunkered down for a hurricane. I built the Taj during Dorian in 2019.)

Screenshot_20220922-080109.thumb.jpg.daabcce051e82631c05efd32be4aff5b.jpg

On 9/18/2022 at 12:13 AM, greycat said:

I'm in Australia and there's a Lego shop in my city, but I found it rather disappointing when I recently went to look

The Australian shops seem not to have as extensive a variety in PAB and minifigures as the North American and European, from what I've seen in people's Facebook comments.

Those lights look wonderful. I haven't tried lighting anything yet. 

That's interesting about the difference in Lego shops. When my local one opened there was so much advertising hype about it being the biggest in Australia, and it's tiny. 

I had a good day at last Sunday's flea market, finding a huge shopping bag full of Lego for $20. I've sorted out the boring bits (anything with tyres and some bits of a spiderman lair, to give to the local op shop(charity shop) . Kept the spider webs though 😀🕸️. Now to get the rest all washed and sorted. I've done the leaves and flowers and fruit and minifgs. Finally have spare arms and hands for my poor armless ones, yay.  

I'm sooo tempted to get the lion knight's castle. I really like the way there are lots of female minifigs in what were previously male roles.

Female knights and forestwomen are definitely an improvement. The forestmen's hideout has a forestwoman too.  

Edited by greycat

6 hours ago, greycat said:

I had a good day at last Sunday's flea market, finding a huge shopping bag full of Lego for $20.

Great find! Have fun sorting all the pieces (I enjoy that part. ;) )!

I am the main thrift shop on our island so I've had a couple of batches come in, along with the Taj Mahal and an Eiffel Tower, over the years. My staff know to set aside any LEGO that comes in. XD I do what you did: sort to keep then send the rest back.