Peregryn

ANSWERED:Ads being blocked without ad blocker

As of a little while ago, I started seeing the "why not get a subscription?" banners instead of ads on the dragcave.net site. This is happening whether I'm using Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Safari. I don't have an ad blocker on any of those browsers, and I didn't change any account settings for DC, so I'm not sure why I'm getting the subscription nags.

Does anybody know why this might've changed? I was seeing ads earlier today, and haven't changed anything since then. I can't afford to get a subscription at this time, so that's not a solution.

Why do you mind ? No ads is GOOD.... I'm not sure what the problem is....

The no ads part is good for me (though not so good for DC) - but instead of ads, I get the subscription nags. And those make me feel sad, because I'm not in a position right now to donate to DC or anything like that. So I'd rather see the ads, and know that DC is at least getting ad revenue from my being on the site.

Actually, what I'd really like would be to see neither ads nor subscription nags, but the only way I know how to do that would be a subscription, so....

BTW, I like your avatar! My feline overlord likes to chew on cardboard boxes and leave little bits of gnawed cardboard all over the place. 🐈

It's VERY VERY ANGRY:

image.png.0dc69e4861c27536c6e5c90d5e7332cd.png

I use the Brave browser and I can block individual elements. (I can also do that in other browsers with my ad blocker.)

Think this is a loading issue, least that is what I have seen today.  Sometimes things load normally and other times the page loads without the ad and the little wheel just spins to indicate it's trying (until wheel gives up and goes away still lacking the ad) to get something but the ad isn't appearing

15 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It's VERY VERY ANGRY:

image.png.0dc69e4861c27536c6e5c90d5e7332cd.png

Well, if I were Schrödinger's cat, I'd be VERY VERY ANGRY as well!

Hmm. Is your location your evil kitten solution to the Schrödinger's cat problem? After all, if you're not there, you can't be observed, so you're neither alive nor dead. Does that mean we have a zombie kitten wandering the forum?

14 hours ago, Dracaena said:

Think this is a loading issue, least that is what I have seen today.  Sometimes things load normally and other times the page loads without the ad and the little wheel just spins to indicate it's trying (until wheel gives up and goes away still lacking the ad) to get something but the ad isn't appearing

That could be, I suppose. In any case, all appears to be well today - I get the ads rather than the subscription nags.

Edited by Peregryn

From what I can tell about how the ads are coded, the "buy a subscription" banners show up as a fallback /placeholder when the ad image can't be loaded, so there's always *something* showing. It'll just be showing those images because, for whatever reason, it can't load ads.