Mewtie

ANSWERED:Site notification for new releases

I saw someone asking for a "louder" convenient way to let users know of a new release on the site and personally I like that idea. There are already ways to get notified, but it would still be nice if the site itself did that in my opinion. So I was wondering if perhaps there could be a notification on-site when new eggs appear in the cave. c:

There are of course also other ways to make new releases more noticeable on the site itself. In the end I don‘t care how it is done, a notification just seemed the most straightforward to me.

For clarification, I am aware that the information gets displayed on the site already. This suggestion is just about making releases more noticeable on the site than they currently are.

(From some searches I couldn't find an existing suggestion like this, sorry if I missed something.)

Support here, even just something like it always telling you in that little bell would be enough for me 

Support. It's easy to miss the news section if you're not on the forums. I have my scroll bookmarked instead of the main page because it makes more sense for me to start there. If I'm just checking on growing things, breeding stuff for myself, or checking in on a trade, I have no reason to even click on the main page (or the forums). An on-site notification that there is a new news post would be really useful.

I also almost never go to the main site page, so some other notification would work better for me.

I am always on the watch for a new release and have never missed one, yet, but it could happen if they don't stick to a semi-regular schedule.

Support.

Definite support. I rarely go to the main page, there often just isn't reason to especially since I normally have the AP open in a tab at all times. And especially on mobile the little 'recent news' part is only noticeable if you scroll down (past all the stuff you would normally be clicking, like biome and scroll links...).  I wouldn't want it to be annoyingly intrusive like a huge banner or anything, but a notification would be helpful.

I always go to the main page first, and the Recent News is right there. I feel like it's easy enough to see. On the other hand, I'm usually on my computer or my tablet. I guess if people mostly use their phones it would be less visible. Still, the notification is right there if people want it.

I "watch" the news forum; I get an email whenever there's a new thread there. Works a treat.

35 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I "watch" the news forum; I get an email whenever there's a new thread there. Works a treat.

Not everybody uses the forums. 

Support! The bell lighting up as others said, or a way to "subscribe" on site to a notification could be nice. 

I can't think of any downsides and would like to see this happen, even though I don't need such notif myself, either. Newer players or those who aren't on the forums, or just someone who isn't that active all the time, might not know when to check the site for a regular monthly release. The little bell would be a nice, equal way to announce that new dragons have been released.

On-site subscription feature is a good idea as well. If you ask me, it shouldn't be expected or required that players check the site any more often than what it takes to raise their dragons. Of course it isn't the end of the world if one misses a release, but it wouldn't harm anyone if those who want could have an email notification or something when there is a release.

'Subscribing' to the news section of the forum is definitely not the answer, since not everyone is able to be on the forums and technically it's a *different* site. A more noticeable and easy-to-see release notice *on-site* would be most helpful. 

Honestly, I'd like an opt in sound notification too. I do have the main cave as a home page but sometimes I honestly do miss reading where it says there is new eggs dropping. I haven't been around at the start of a drop in months, my own fault more than anything but some ways to help with that would be great.

Support. I usually check biomes first and then mosey over to the forums to confirm. A little bell notification would be great.

Since I am in the FB group, whomever discovers a new release first announces it in the group.

Of course, I am usually logged off before the release starts.

Sorry, it is mentioned on the start page of the cave.
It's no effort to check the main page - just do it. ;)

Next people say, they don't look at the bell, next ones block popup banners and so on.

I don't want to be "overnotificated" with something I can see easily on the main page.

So no support from me.

On mobile it's *not* visible on the 'main page' unless you scroll all the way down past all the normally-useful stuff. If it was shown more towards the top I could understand being against this suggestion for that reason, but it's not. 

But more than that, releases are no longer as consistent as they used to be. It's all fine and dandy to know that a new release is coming the last weekend of the month (or even second-to-last), but when you don't have a clue when a release might happen it's a little frustrating to just be told to look here-and-there for it. And I certainly don't see 'one notification per month' as 'overnotifying', especially compared to some of the other notification-suggestions that have been proposed. 

I have to take issue with the "used to be". When I signed up (2010) they were TOTALLY random; we all relied on friends to tip us off. I do think it's better now - it's usually safe to assume it's worth keeping slots open at the turn of the month. But I can see why TJ might prefer the random system we used to have. That said - a better indication of when it happens would be good. The point about many people not being able to get by by using a forum alert, as I suggested, is well taken.

I'm in favor of some sort of notification like the bell icon for when there's a new release. While I do play at home on my desktop, I do remember one instance, where I was in the airport struggling to play & board the plane at the same time. I think I might have stumbled upon it, while checking the Cave for something to catch (if I can). I normally stumble upon new releases, when I check on my eggs/hatchies in Valley Sherwood & see eggs I've never seen before. XD And I also have my scroll bookmarked rather than the main page, which I only go too if I want to hunt in the Cave or the AP, so a notice on my scroll would be a welcome one.

oof, hard support, just make that little bell light up. I missed the last release because I play exclusively on mobile and man is it easy to forget to scroll down after weeks of no announcements.

I'm surprised that the official discord doesn't ping (or have the option for users to opt in for being pinged) when announcements are made. I had joined that in hopes of helping me not to forget but I had missed the new release

Full support! I've actually wanted a "count-down timer" for new egg releases and events for a long time now (maybe I'll suggest it sometime) but honestly anything that makes the releases more noticeable and accessible for non-forum users gets a +1 from me!