Moonlight_Eevee

Rework the Selection Box

Hello, opening this up since TJ closed the previous one. 

We need to rework the selection box in groups/adventure. I'm going with Mewtie's suggestion in simply tapping a dragon and able to tap another dragon without having to long press. Right now, it's horrendous on mobile and when groups came out, a lot of Mobile users didn't know you could long press to select multiple dragons for years. Some users are just finding out about this this week. I think this system is a bit flawed and I think this might fix it for us.

Editing to add: If you get close to being done on mobile and you accidentally forget to long oress on a dragon, you have to restart all over and it's especially tedeous if you had hundreds or even thousands of dragons selected

Edited by MoonlitEevee

I knew the long press theoretically was how you could select multiple dragons, but it never worked for me. No matter how long I press each dragon, it just changes the selection to the new dragon or it doesn't change the selection at all. Either way, I still only had one dragon selected. I'd be fine with keeping it if there was an addition on the help page detailing exactly how to use the long press, right now it's just confusing to figure out with the current instructions.

24 minutes ago, Diggie said:

I knew the long press theoretically was how you could select multiple dragons, but it never worked for me. No matter how long I press each dragon, it just changes the selection to the new dragon or it doesn't change the selection at all. Either way, I still only had one dragon selected. I'd be fine with keeping it if there was an addition on the help page detailing exactly how to use the long press, right now it's just confusing to figure out with the current instructions.

It shouldn't require an explanation if it can be made more intuitive. And another problem is that even if everyone knew how to do it, for those who need to tap longer to select a larger number of dragons on a phone, it can be a little tiresome.

Neither double tap nor long press nor multiple fingers work on my phone.

I don't think that it can be called a bug - more like limited capabilities of browser/device. But relying on limited features can worsen the experience.

I admit that I didn't have much issues on phone with previous applications of this feature. Fertility requires exactly one dragon to be selected. Groups can be filled one dragon by time too (or using additional switches below the selection box, or from the dragon profile). But adventure asks for multiple selection, and number of dragons selected affects not only QoL but gameplay too.

Even though the long press works fine for me (android), I would never make a group on mobile, it's extremely tedious. Can't imagine the frustration of people who don't have a computer to resort to. Plus, it's hard to even explain how to do it because it differs based on operating system (ctrl+click for windows, command+click for mac, long press for android, multiple finger tap? on iOS, or it simply doesn't work at all). A more intuitive and consistent system would be much better.

However, when it comes to groups I also personally use ctrl+shift to select large sections of dragons; if this change meant we could only select single, individual dragons, it would be a shame to see that functionality gone.

I edited the first post to include something that I forgot. Basically if you have hundreds to thousands of dragons selected to add to a group and you forget to long click, you have to do it all over again. It's already very tedeous and it doesn't want me to make that specific group anymore because I forgot to long click

Yeah, I avoid using the select tool on mobile whenever possible.  On my iPhone, trying to do the two-finger long press usually results in accidentally zooming the screen instead of selecting the additional dragon. And y'know, after a few selects you misjudge how long you hold your long press, and then everything else gets unselected.

I think it would be easier if, at least on mobile, selection was treated as a toggle. Things stay selected unless you tap on it again to un-select it.

Support on reworking multiselect on mobile.

Checkboxes or toggles as already described above would be a much more accessible and functional option for mobile players.

I support reworking the selection box entierly, sitewide, not just for adventure, but also groups (just as op stated, adding multiples is tedious to say the least)

I posted on this topic before and you can find it here, along with my proposed solution layout, that could be used on both

(And as you can tell, I was not aware at the time that you can longpress, as it is not intuitive enough and my phone took longer to get it)

Edited by camelia2

I support a simple checkbox.

Intuitiveness and usability aside, one of the most confusing things about the current system is that the activation mechanism is different on every device. In some cases it doesn't work at all which might be a bug, but it doesn't help explaining to anyone.

Something like activating a long press after a few hundred milliseconds and then every click/tap after that will add the dragon to the selection. My lineage builder does this, and from the feedback I've had, it works flawlessly across iOS, Android and PC. No double tap, multi-finger, keyboard or ancient ritual shenanigans; it's consistent and just works (here's where someone tells me it doesn't work ;) ).

On 5/30/2022 at 5:45 AM, MoonlitEevee said:

I'm going with Shadow's suggestion in simply tapping a dragon and able to tap another dragon without having to long press.

Ah, that was Mewtie's suggestion, though I also approve of it.

Edited by Shadowdrake

1 hour ago, Shadowdrake said:

Ah, that was Mewtie's suggestion, though I also approve of it.

Oops! Was it? I apologize. Fixed it

Edited by MoonlitEevee

Support, there definitely needs to be a revision- in most cases when making groups/adventuring/etc people are selecting multiple dragons so that should be the default- clicking/tapping a new dragon should simply select it in addition to previous ones