Onakra

Sorting: Have a Checkmark for Gender

Right now there's checkmarks for:

Reverse Sort

Place Eggs and Unfrozen Hatchlings on top

I sort by breed, and I can't stand that it sorts by only age within the breed. I'd rather have the option to sort by sex/gender within the breed, especially with the breeds where the male and female are different. I'm having to custom sort right now which is a pain honestly, since new additions just stay on top until I move them instead of automatically sort.

Either default for sex/gender and then age within the breed, or give a checkmark option please?

It's perhaps the issue that TJ doesn't want to use the term Sort by sex (since that's more accurate) but Sort by gender might be okay?

I'd love this.

I sort mine so that any dragons with dimorphism are distinct by male/female and I use custom manual sort to get them where I want them.  It'd be nice to have a filter like the eggs/hatchlings on top

I also like the idea of this, but what gender would come first in the sorting?

It seems to me that, in the absence of more elaborate search functions/filters, this could make it at least a bit easier to find a specific dragon on your scroll or just check if you have something. It would be very useful, for example, when I need to decide if I should influence an egg to be female or male and want to know how many CBs of each gender I already have. So while I can do without this option, I think I'd use it if it was available. I know one can always create groups to find things faster, but... well, these are not mutually exclusive alternatives.

And ladies first for once! 😸 We already have the encyclopedia that shows only males on the main page, in lineages males are on top and on the view page father is listed first, etc.

4 hours ago, Ripple_Tiger said:

I also like the idea of this, but what gender would come first in the sorting?

F. Alphabetical, you know ! (I run across this with my database a lot and actually it annoys me at times - but...)

I was thinking female first as well, but I just wanted to see other opponions first

I'd prefer male then female since that's how i sort my scroll (and if it was female first i wouldn't use it anyway, but I'm sure the reverse is true for others!), but I think it wouldn't be too hard to offer both options, you know?  That way people can sort by gender however they prefer.

I support this suggestion. It would be especially helpful with the pink dragons when it comes time to influence.

Support.

It would be more consistent if males sorted first. They appear on top in lineages, the Encyclopedia seems to show male sprites by default, etc.

It's not a huge deal to me either way, but it would make more sense from a UX perspective to sort the males first.

I'd prefer males on top, for consistency, but just to be able to sort by sex would be good. 

5 hours ago, Jazeki said:

I support this suggestion. It would be especially helpful with the pink dragons when it comes time to influence.

What I've done is made 2 groups--one with all my males and one with all my females and they're labeled "BSA: Influence--[gender]".  Then, when I need to influence, I just go to the correct group and sort by available for BSA.  You could try that sort of thing in the meantime/if nothing comes of this suggestion!

I have a BSA group which is sorted by my scroll default, which is sorted by gender (manually, by me.) It does work. And as I have a manual sort anyway, no HUGE extra work.

10 hours ago, KageSora said:

I think it wouldn't be too hard to offer both options, you know?  That way people can sort by gender however they prefer.

Oh indeed! This would be nice. I guess the purpose of the "sort by gender" checkbox would be to make sorting easier, so why not leave the choice to the player.

(By the way, some encyclopedia entries show the female sprite first so it isn't that consistent even now.)

One thing that came to my mind is this suggestion that I managed to find:

I don't know, but maybe it would be an even bigger improvement if these ideas could be combined somehow? Like, if you could select, for example, to primarily sort your dragons by breed, then gender (with two options, females first or males first). Or vice versa: first by gender, then by breed.

1 hour ago, Varislapsi said:

Oh indeed! This would be nice. I guess the purpose of the "sort by gender" checkbox would be to make sorting easier, so why not leave the choice to the player.

(By the way, some encyclopedia entries show the female sprite first so it isn't that consistent even now.)

One thing that came to my mind is this suggestion that I managed to find:

I don't know, but maybe it would be an even bigger improvement if these ideas could be combined somehow? Like, if you could select, for example, to primarily sort your dragons by breed, then gender (with two options, females first or males first). Or vice versa: first by gender, then by breed.

Yes - that works in Excel - where my database is. I'm sure it's within TJ's capabilities !

Was looking around for something like this and wanted to pop in and say I support this! I personally don’t mind which gender shows up first but it would be nice if all of the males/females are neatly sorted together and there was a toggle to do this. It drives me nuts seeing all of the sprites being randomly thrown together within a species. 

Support!

I don't *really* care which gender sorts first but it would make sense for it to be the males since they are "on top" visually when you look at the links for parents and also in the lineage view. 

Edited by BringsTheSnow

I very much support having a gender sorting toggle for subsorting - I would love to actually have toggles for how we want to sort/subsort!  :D

On 5/22/2022 at 4:00 AM, Tiira said:

It seems to me that, in the absence of more elaborate search functions/filters, this could make it at least a bit easier to find a specific dragon on your scroll or just check if you have something. It would be very useful, for example, when I need to decide if I should influence an egg to be female or male and want to know how many CBs of each gender I already have. So while I can do without this option, I think I'd use it if it was available. I know one can always create groups to find things faster, but... well, these are not mutually exclusive alternatives.

And ladies first for once! 😸 We already have the encyclopedia that shows only males on the main page, in lineages males are on top and on the view page father is listed first, etc.

Support

I do have an addition, because there's another website that actually has this type of sorting.

There's the Primary Sort, which is what we currently use (Age, Breed, Code, Name) with those checkmarks with eggs and hatchlings on top and Reverse Sort.

Then there could be a Secondary Sort, which would be Age, Breed, Code, Gender (male), Gender (female), and Name, with Reverse Sort as a checkmark.

Gender (male) would have males sorted first, and Gender (female) would have females sorted first.

Pleeaaaaaaase?

On 7/11/2023 at 8:10 AM, Onakra said:

There's the Primary Sort, which is what we currently use (Age, Breed, Code, Name) with those checkmarks with eggs and hatchlings on top and Reverse Sort.

Then there could be a Secondary Sort, which would be Age, Breed, Code, Gender (male), Gender (female), and Name, with Reverse Sort as a checkmark.

I love this! I've been thinking about how nice this would be since I started playing!

Definitely support.  Would be really useful for breeds where the genders look identical.

Support! But do we still need aeon's precognition if we have a gender sort? maybe only acting on adult/frozen hatchlings?

Full support here! it's honestly such a pain to sort them yourself when you have a huge scroll. If they auto-sort them by breed and gender so I wouldn't have to would be wonderful!

WB

Edited by Wolfs_Bane