TJ09

2022-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 16th Birthday!

4th try, using only 2 dragons

Female Fanalea and female Murkling against female Scourgekeeper

image.png.03d407532ba59b415bca9dca9bbb6729.png

Not sure it's a fixed chance to get the Scourgekeeper or affected by ratio, maybe a small group is better than 6 in the early period? :P

Well, my success rate is still 0/21 with single adventurers, but I've never considered myself particularly lucky, so... I'll just keep trying. 😹

I've tried everything, from full groups (2) to single dragons (with no success). The only thing I've noticed is that Fanaleas muck it up more often than any other type of dragon when they're included in the party.

Thank you to all the designers/sprinters of Scourgekeeper!!

I finally succeeded in making my brother come back to DC with its art!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🤩

I tried four times, three times were done with two members and one was done with six members. All of them are failed.

so far I’ve gotten 5 out of 25 tries— all solo. it’s really unbalanced how this thing works. fwiw, the dragons that did well were Thundersnow (2), Fanalea (2) and one Pyrrichios 

I haven't kept count of specific tries but I did one full set of 6 and then have tried various pairs and singles (maybe a set or two of 4?). I have 4 adults of each breed and all have adventured. I still have 0 Scourgekeepers.

It sucks seeing so many other successes because it makes me worry that success is ratio based in some way and they will just get harder and harder to get, like Stats. But at least I have the ability to keep adventuring (and collecting adventurers), so I'm trying not to get too down about it. At least it isn't another thing I need to save shards for.

I've been sending full parties of 6 each time, and had my first success on my fourth try. Now to name my retired adventurers and see how long it takes for the second. 😜

I love this new mechanic. Never had the feeling that having more legendary trios helped with getting GoNs faster. With these guys I can very easily see that I get more tries the more dragons I have.

Not sure wether more party members help much and how a more diverse party affects the chances. So far I've always sent mixed groups, no regard to the dragons gender, just the different breeds. Succeeded two times, when going with three dragons, different mix each time. I did try a full set of 6 two times and several tries with two or three, I think one each with 4 and just one dragon.

Loved them all right away, but the new dragons have really grown on me. Wish I had more time to excessively collect them, but alas too busy with crafting projects. I should not complain. ^^°
And again thanks to all the spriters and anyone else involved! ❤️

24 adults. First time I sent them in parties of 3. Second and third time, indivudually. Today, one party of two and the rest on their own. All failures 🤬

Well I've just had excellent luck.  I got one one the first day but nothing since, sending individual ones out.

Just now I had luck with a lone Astralophyne, a lone Furor and a lone Murkling.

The ones that are licking their wounds are a Pyrrhichios, two Fanaleas and a Thundersnow.

Wow.

14 attempts, 14 fails. Sigh. So before I try again, I want to increase my chances with that tried and true method of whining about it on the forum (usually seems to work when the egg you want just doesn't drop in the cave). And if that doesn't work, I admit I don't really mind collecting 1000 of these beautiful dragons, just to try again and again...

2 hours ago, dustpuppy said:

14 attempts, 14 fails. Sigh. So before I try again, I want to increase my chances with that tried and true method of whining about it on the forum (usually seems to work when the egg you want just doesn't drop in the cave). And if that doesn't work, I admit I don't really mind collecting 1000 of these beautiful dragons, just to try again and again...

lol Sometimes it is kinda eerie how quickly luck can change after complaining on the forum. And yeah, as much as I dislike this rng, unbalanced, pure luck type of mechanic, I'm glad that these breeds all still seem pretty plentiful and I don't really mind collecting more and more and more...  (When I remember, that is, I haven't been as focused on DC lately.)

(edit: And I honest-to-goodness *forgot* that I'd had a super lucky trade and I do actually have a Scourgekeeper now! Just not from my own dragon's Adventuring.)

Edited by HeatherMarie

Finally managed to snag my own BBEG, after two more failed tries. Sent out a Thundersnow and a Furor together, but it was the Thundersnow success script. I feel a little better now. I have a few more that should grow up later today, so I might try to see if I can get a female now.

Edited by purplehaze

Im... really starting to think there's just better odds with 2 dragon parties than full 6 dragon parties now 😅

image.png.28f6dc9e8b743488dbb78e0c4910b9ef.png

In case anyone is keeping tabs, after 3 parties well diversified in both roles and genders failed I began sending solos and the last one (a healer) brought me my Cave Master.

PS: I was so excited that I had already fertilized both him and another dragon and had my finger on the breed action icon when I realised that I already had 8 eggs... stopped in time.

Edited by Seejey

I haven't tried the BSA yet myself, but speaking as someone who plays a gacha game, the comments here are describing pretty much exactly what I would expect from the result being RNG.  The only thing unclear due to insufficient documentation (you'd need like. HUNDREDS of examples to even begin to plot it) is whether having a larger party increases the odds of success.  It's very possible that it does, but it might be that the difference is by a small enough margin that you still see plenty of fails with large parties and successes with singles.

But pretty much this all falls into what I'd expect for it to be a RNG thing.  I don't think there's any 'ratios' involved to worry about balancing, it's just that if you roll a d20 a dozen times you're equally (un)likely on each individual roll to roll a 20.

And that's exactly the sort of mechanic that some of us really dislike. Personally I prefer when I can actually influence the outcome in some way; with GoNs the more sets of Trios you have the better (at least that's what we were told at some point?). Most of the alternative-mechanics breeds in this game (yellow Sapphires, alt Electrics, Siyats, alt Nilias, etc etc) we as players can actually take action to get. And the Zyu's Summon is a sure thing, I don't think anyone has ever failed to summon a Sino. But relying on pure computer-generated rng (which can never be *truly* random but that's a whole other issue) makes the mechanic rather passive. We don't influence anything, we-as-characters don't really matter, it's just a roll of the dice. I'm *hoping* that eventually we'll figure out that either larger parties or smaller parties have better odds, but at this point it does just seem like rng.

The 6 breeds are still dropping fairly plentifully in the biomes, I grabbed another Pyrrhichios and Furor real easily about five hours ago. I'm thankful for that, that if this is pure rng and with a two-week cooldown *and* dragons permanently 'retiring' when successful, I'm glad that these breeds are at least still easy to get. Hopefully they will remain rather common.

I mean. This set is themed on D&D.  Which is built heavily around dice rolling mechanics.  So I think that's kind of entirely the point?

Besides, it's not really that much more RNG than, say, trying to breed a rare dragon.  Sure you can slightly influence the odds via fertility, but after that?  It's still just pure RNG whether you'll get an egg at all, let alone the egg you want!  This really is absolutely no different from that fundamentally, it just has a longer CD.  But even then, hey!  Breed or catch another adventurer dragon and you're set with another BSA in less than half the CD time anyway.

So unless you're going to come back and say you hate how RNG it is to try to breed a prize egg with a common mate, I don't really see how this is any different.

All that you're saying is most certainly true, but I also think it's totally understandable to start feeling a bit frustrated after some point when you keep failing and see others success. It can feel like this particular mechanic is not for you and that everyone else is having so much better luck even if one is aware that it's not the truth. After all, we're all just humans and some of us will get upset more easily while others can simply try again as many times as they need to without giving too much thought to it. 😸

(Personally, I can admit that I got quite frustrated about the raffles before winning my prize this year. You know, when you eagerly wait for the raffle every month and always lose, and at the same time you see players who just started that complain that they still haven't won their third prize or something... it can be rather hard to not feel disappointed at all!)

So this is not pointed to anyone directly, I just wanted remind that it is as okay to dislike this BSA as it would be to adore it, or to hate or love any other mechanics in this game. Let's keep sharing our successes and failures and cheer each other up when needed! 🌼

I'm still just having lots of fun despite no successes so far, I'm totally happy with raising more adventurers and sending them to face that villain. And I can't wait to start some lineages with the drummers.

Another set of adventurers went out...and failed.  I have a pygmy growing in a few hours. But other than that, my next adventure try is in 8 days. At least I can still breed offspring for other users in the meantime.

There are still plenty NRs at the Cave.

As of writing the desert has two Furors waiting for a while. (Not complaining at all 😀)

<big sigh> 1 pair and 4 singles went out and ....  nada ....

1 Scourgekeeper from 24 single runs. Wanted to try singles for the time being and see if I could be successful.

Edited by caya