Red Dragonette

Bad Copyright Bill Needs to be Stopped

The Bill you are trying to quash is actually an effort to end online child sex trafficking.  

Text - S.3538 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): EARN IT Act of 2022 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress

Federal Register :: Combating Human Trafficking and Online Child Exploitation in the United States

Section 1. Policy. Human trafficking is a form of modern slavery. Throughout the United States and around the world, human trafficking tears apart communities, fuels criminal activity, and threatens the national security of the United States. It is estimated that millions of individuals are trafficked around the world each year—including into and within the United States. As the United States continues to lead the global fight against human trafficking, we must remain relentless in resolving to eradicate it in our cities, suburbs, rural communities, tribal lands, and on our transportation networks. Human trafficking in the United States takes many forms and can involve exploitation of both adults and children for labor and sex.

Twenty-first century technology and the proliferation of the internet and mobile devices have helped facilitate the crime of child sex trafficking and other forms of child exploitation. Consequently, the number of reports to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children of online photos and videos of children being sexually abused is at record levels.

The Federal Government is committed to preventing human trafficking and the online sexual exploitation of children. Effectively combating these crimes requires a comprehensive and coordinated response to prosecute human traffickers and individuals who sexually exploit children online, to protect and support victims of human trafficking and child exploitation, and to provide prevention education to raise awareness and help lower the incidence of human trafficking and child exploitation into, from, and within the United States.

Edited by TheScorpionKing

The Bill would allow states to use their own judgment on how to go after tech companies that violate the law, and that leaves it open for a total patchwork application on how to enforce it. I also don't like how the bill would go after encrypted access, which is a vital security tool to protect everyone's online activity. I have the feeling that once states get access to encryption tools, that they'll find more than just what they're searching for and use this Bill as an excuse to sweep it up. Just like FOSTA and SESTA had good intentions that had far-reaching and devastating consequences outside of the intent of the Bill. I had hope for FOSTA and SESTA and ignored all the warning signs. I won't ignore the warning signs on this one. I don't support this.