purplehaze

20 Week Breeding Challenge: 2022

I ALWAYS incubate. Project or not ! ( should name mine now, I suppose....

7 hours ago, IzzyCat91 said:

The important part is to have fun with it 

I think this is the key! This is supposed to be fun. No stressing over your lineage. Stair and spiral lineages are the quickest, easiest lineages at their core. For those who have fun making them more complicated, that's okay. But it is totally okay to just make it up as you go!

I have done relatively simple lineages for this in the past. This year I decided to go a bit more difficult. I probably won't get as many generations added to my lineage as in some years, but I don't really care. I was planning to do a Pyropellis "rainbow" lineage anyway, so I am just using this as my incentive to keep going with it.

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

This is supposed to be fun. No stressing over your lineage.

yaay for fun!

while my spreadsheet does figure that the offspring will be the Elux Lucis, if the egg turns out to be Antarean or Nebula, i'll see how it looks, and if i like it, i'll keep it.  my selected last name for the dragons is Barnard, as in the astronomer who gave his name to Barnard's Loop, Barnard's Star, and an entire Barnard's Galaxy.

in addition to my group for this challenge, OMGs It's Fulla Stars, these dragons also go into my Oh My Stars group too, where there's more Nebulas and Elux Lucis dragons named for stars and nebulae. :D

also - i caught a CB Nebula in the Desert this morning.... it was right next to a Xeno that i didn't realise until after i'd clicked away to the Nebula egg page. :blink:

Is it too late to join the challenge, since it's past May 1st? I'd love to participate!

3 minutes ago, ginks123 said:

Is it too late to join the challenge, since it's past May 1st? I'd love to participate!

Not too late! If you have an egg from May 1 (or May 2) that you can use and want to do that, you can. Or if you don't have one from May 1 or 2 just grab one today and use it as your starter.

Well in that case:

A New Challenger Enters!

Scroll Link (optional): click here!
Forum Name: ginks123
Today's Date: May 3rd, 2022

Starter Dragon (link and name if named): this gal right here

Challenge Group Link (required): https://dragcave.net/group/197382

Goal (Plan for your lineage): A double step spiral, Cassares paired with dragons that are white/gray/black, a male and female of each. It's probably a little ambitious but I'm up to the challenge! 

13 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

You seem troubled...

I am absolutely not. I caught a blue egg on May 1st; I have lots of CB blue dragons; every few days as the project one grows up, I will breed it to one of those and influence it to be female. (and this year I WILL use fertility, as a refusal is really really annoying...)

It can be that simple - and for me, it is. My second year (I think) i messed up big time, so I decided not to go fancy ever again.

I am ....cause the planner thing confused me more than it should have lol.

Trystan said something in the compulsive posters thread that made me go "ah ha!". 

I tend to over think things. *facepalming self*

Key part.... I forgot I was supposed to name these babies lmao

Edited by galleri

8 hours ago, purplehaze said:

No stressing over your lineage.

Just try to stop me. :P

15 minutes ago, galleri said:

Trystan said something in the compulsive posters thread that made me go "ah ha!". 

now i'm curious, what did i say?

i'm also good at over-complicating things.

Guys, do remember to post lineage links to your growing eggs so they don't get overviewed! ;)

Still not finding purples. I'll have to hope my pairings produce them so I can use the magis as mates.

23 hours ago, Lagie said:

*raises hand* Me, too! Though it's hard to plan too far ahead when you don't know which egg will appear with each breeding.

And me! I can't work out how to paste a pic of my plotting, it would be interesting to see how other people lay their spiral lineages out though :)

My Sweetling lineage has had its own spreadsheet for over a decade now, I have a fairly good memory but not a chance in heck that I'm remembering who needs to go where otherwise, if I ever make it to 10G that will be 256 CB dragon pairs I need to remember not to mix up or replicate 🤣  That one is easy, EG check, and I work right to left, as it is on the cave, but how do you lot do spirals? Vertically or horizontally?  My basic 20 week plan is vertically at the moment and its making my head itch a little that way round 😗

I'm also hooked enough on excel that I have every dragon in the cave logged with release date, rarity, name, egg description, variant notes, element and egg location.  Handy if you need to sort by Element, or hunt by biome.. I've a tally of how many CB's I have of each too on there, and have recently added a column with a picture of the egg.  I've missed entire years of DC at times, so forever seeing eggs I have no idea what are in the AP :). I know I could look it up on the wiki, but Ctrl+F on a spreadsheet is soooo much faster for me 🙃

Just now, nerys said:

And me! I can't work out how to paste a pic of my plotting

Screenshot saved as a jpg? Then add to post.

1 minute ago, nerys said:

I'm also hooked enough on excel

Love spreadsheets!

Impressive how much detail you have!

21 minutes ago, nerys said:

And me! I can't work out how to paste a pic of my plotting, it would be interesting to see how other people lay their spiral lineages out though :)

Here is an example of a spiral lineage where the breeds are jumping around and not following the pattern. Purplehaze has some good examples of different lineage shapes in the intro post for this thread as well. I used FourtyTwo's lineage builder for this example, which allows you to share via url link and has some other good features such as naming and assigning the correct codes that reflect your actual dragons.

https://chazza.me/dc/lineage-builder/view/15ffa377893458e23baf270fb5c3b6375c2c4236

21 minutes ago, nerys said:

That one is easy, EG check, and I work right to left, as it is on the cave, but how do you lot do spirals? Vertically or horizontally?  My basic 20 week plan is vertically at the moment and its making my head itch a little that way round 😗

I am not sure what you mean by vertically... 

15 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Screenshot saved as a jpg? Then add to post.

Ohhh.. Lets see if this works.. I'm on a new to me but still 9 year old laptop.. found a programme on it called snip and sketch, it was either that or paint lol

so, I wanted to use the oldest dragon of each breed I had where possible, including working in one of my old pinks, and of course my female holly.  

The columns you see are the birthdate then the name of the dragon chosen to represent their slot, and yes, I'm clearly using the stereotypical colours attached to females and males for an easy visual aid :) green in the middle for not sure yet, I'd ideally like Lotaan to black to go black, black to green to go green, green to mint to go mint etc, so the actual breeds spiral up inside the spiral too, but that might take more than 20 weeks :)

Screenshot 2022-05-03 231319.jpg

3 minutes ago, BringsTheSnow said:

I assume a single step stair with all the males being the lineaged dragons and the females being CB.

5 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

I assume a single step stair with all the males being the lineaged dragons and the females being CB.

as pic above if you can see it? 

I think its called a Spiral Stair - it was easier to flick between screens hitting CtrlC CtrlV in vertical than it was in horizontal once I was searching though my scroll and adding dragons to the group,  the touch mouse pad on this is not always great at going sideways 🤣

this is my spiral plan.  but it also may NOT be a straight line of Elux Lucis like that..... XD (it might be Antareans or Nebulas)

Spoiler

1802611918_Screenshot2022-04-278_39_37PM.thumb.png.c3572acdd66537eafc87025aefcd3d73.png

@nerys I absolutely love what you have planned! I think the way you have it laid out is probably the easiest way to get all the information you need in there, although I can see how the vertical setup can be a bit disorienting when compared to DC lineages. To use any of the lineage builders you have to select a breed for each dragon, like @trystan did, even though it may not end up that way.

47 minutes ago, trystan said:

this is my spiral plan.  but it also may NOT be a straight line of Elux Lucis like that..... XD (it might be Antareans or Nebulas)

Reveal hidden contents

1802611918_Screenshot2022-04-278_39_37PM.thumb.png.c3572acdd66537eafc87025aefcd3d73.png

I do like that 🤩, I think you should work on that one outside the 20 weeks too, to get that result, maybe we could have a 20 months project??  I'll have to wait till xmas to get Holi to breed a holly, plus if I'm getting fussy, I need to plan it round seasonal breeding once I get to G18.  It irks me that there is also a Christmas Dragon I can't fit in, but that G needs to be female, they are all male, and there are only so many times I'll be lucky enough to win an HM (thanks @TJ09, crew and folks of 2010 🥰

41 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

@nerys I absolutely love what you have planned! I think the way you have it laid out is probably the easiest way to get all the information you need in there, although I can see how the vertical setup can be a bit disorienting when compared to DC lineages. To use any of the lineage builders you have to select a breed for each dragon, like @trystan did, even though it may not end up that way.

ta muchly :)  I read your thread a few weeks or so before I signed up but everyone had such pretty plans...

I've never used any of the lineage builders tbh? if i'm going to have to type all that then I'd rather just do it once and hit save 

Edited by nerys

4 minutes ago, nerys said:

I do like that 🤩, I think you should work on that one outside the 20 weeks too, to get that result, maybe we could have a 20 months project?? 

thanks! and.... maybe?

5 minutes ago, nerys said:

I've never used any of the lineage builders tbh?

this was the first time i used a lineage builder, so there's that. XD 

Can you tell which two species of dragons are in my project? 🤔 I'm stocking up on both so that I can make things work whether the first offspring is a stratos or an astaarus.

568267556_ScreenShot2022-05-03at7_20_44PM.png.8129d63350cdd742362b8963de4a3b45.png

3 hours ago, BringsTheSnow said:

Actually, my spreadsheet layout for this challenge is vertical, with the base two at the top of the sheet, then the bred dragon below and the mate flip flopping from left to right as they spiral. I'll do a screenshot next time I'm on my laptop.

I, too, had breed flipping as my descendants didn't always breed true.

https://dragcave.net/lineage/g60HT

And last year's group - https://dragcave.net/group/160782

Edited by Lagie
Adding link...

5 hours ago, trystan said:

now i'm curious, what did i say?

i'm also good at over-complicating things.

Had to do with something about catching some of your CB's. I cannot remember exactly now since I just took my sleep meds. 

9 minutes ago, galleri said:

Had to do with something about catching some of your CB's. I cannot remember exactly now since I just took my sleep meds. 

ah gotcha.

I'm still stalking for 2 more eggs XD