w1sp

What do you think of Adoptable/Clicker Pet games? What would you change about them?

I have only Very recently discovered clicker pet forums. I'm very fond of the social aspect of the community. (even if I have the social skills of a dead fish) and the 'pet hoarding'. Satisfies a very specific niche.

That said, I wish there was a bigger video blogging community for it, speaking as a newbie, it's pretty overwhelming when you get into it. And only having walls of text to read for context is intimidating. 

I also wish there was more you could do with the pets you gather. As it stands you can name, breed and categorize pets on most sites, but thats about it. A lot of the time it feels a lot more like trading coins than trading mythical dragons. That said, I don't know what I'd add to make pets more interactive. Maybe I have ideas in places that don't need them.

To be fair, the reason I like clicker pets is because they are so "low maintenance" - all I need to do is to interchange them from time to time and make sure they don't fall sick. Fits my current hectic lifestyle pretty well.

What I wish is for more variety. Dragon Cave itself is good as it is, but I want more clicker pet sites with more variety in their creatures! Maybe more websites that "specialize" in one general category (DragonCave for dragons, Flowergame for plants...) but give A LOT of variety within that category (and then some oddballs, like the Dinos and the holiday-specific plants in Flowergame).

On 4/5/2022 at 8:41 AM, corruptedunicorn said:

To be fair, the reason I like clicker pets is because they are so "low maintenance" - all I need to do is to interchange them from time to time and make sure they don't fall sick. Fits my current hectic lifestyle pretty well.

What I wish is for more variety. Dragon Cave itself is good as it is, but I want more clicker pet sites with more variety in their creatures! Maybe more websites that "specialize" in one general category (DragonCave for dragons, Flowergame for plants...) but give A LOT of variety within that category (and then some oddballs, like the Dinos and the holiday-specific plants in Flowergame).

Yeah, I agree

On 4/5/2022 at 1:41 AM, corruptedunicorn said:

(Pardon the advert, it felt pertinent to post here)

We're still fairly new (a bit over a year since the site was released to the general public) but Protochroma sounds like a decent fit for you. Large variety of creatures (sci-fi focus, with some dragons for familiarity) despite a still-growing roster and you only have to jump on maybe once every few days to mature your critters and make sure they don't die (creatures take 1-2 days to mature, but they have to be matured manually, and you have a week to do so). It's also updated fairly frequently.

Most adoptable games are about the collecting, that is true! I have noticed that many sites with pixel art are mostly about collecting, but there are a couple of sites out there where you can do a bit more with your pets, where the artwork is often cellshaded and a bit larger - it's a fun trend! I think Flight Rising has a bit more you can do with your dragons once they've matured?

That being said, I personally enjoy the Dragon Cave gameplay the most. It kind of reminds me of trading card games from my childhood! I've been on a lot of other petsites through my time, and Dragon Cave is the one that I've been active on the longest, all the others kind of fall to the side. Probably because I can make my own "challenges", by collecting a certain amount of dragons from the cave, making up ideas for lineages and working on them, and so on.

I definitely agree with Corruptedunicorn, that it's really fun that Dragon Cave has a specific theme that it sticks to so closely, and I would love to see more sites like it. Sometimes, having a narrower subject breeds more creativity! And it makes the few outliers feel more special. Dragon cave chicken my beloved ❤️