schenanigans

Expand Site Credits

I give my support. I definitely feel that all writers must have recognition for their hard work in the development in dragons on-site.

I'll support this one too. Writing and concepting is an art form and it takes time, effort, talent, skill and dedication. If video game writers get credit for writing item descriptions, Dragon Cave writers should get credit for writing dragon descriptions.

Full support to this one! Writing and conceptualizing is as much of an art as spriting is and DC wouldn't be what it is without its lore.

This is something that I'll be exploring eventually; there is already work underway that needs to be done first to make this possible. Namely, we're going back and identifying the writers for older breeds (something that isn't easy given how far back these things go). I may end up launching something without full coverage, but it'd be unfortunate to misrepresent credit for old breeds by way of omission.

It's awesome to hear this is being/will be looked at, thank you TJ! It's a huge amount of work to get a request from concept to cave, and so many never reach completion. Conceptors do a ton of work managing requests and I've always wanted to see them receive credit, and writers too.

Full support! As a user it’s a bit frustrating not knowing who’s behind the magnificent works of art (visual and written alike) and discovering it only through community or wiki or forums. I suggest implementing the encyclopedia with infos regarding each breed’s artists.

For the older breeds, you can implement a sort of placeholder sentence, like “copyright attribution in progress” or something like that, and go on giving due credit to the artists we already have proof of their work.

I fully support the suggestion of having a placeholder for older sprites where it’s uncertain who were involved.

Whilst it would be great to have it all up to date on launch, the long wait might discourage writers from offering their concepts out of fear the credit will be handed to the artists only.

That writers aren’t currently credited seems like a mistake in the first place.

Until Abyss Watchers were released I didn't even realize this was something that wasn't already done. I had always just assumed that the copyright down at the bottom was everyone who had worked on it. I feel really bad for all of the releases that I've been a part of where I might have said thank you to the wonderful spriters who made it by name because they are in the copyright and accidentally left of thanks for whomever came up with the actual idea or writing for the dragon itself simply because I didn't realize they weren't listed in there. Spriting takes a lot of work, but as someone who writes frequently in my free time, I know writing can take just as long to make it feel perfect/right. I think it's really important for us to have the copyrights for writers at the bottom as soon as we can, even if older dragons might for a bit be without proper credit, as it is unfair to those who are already creating new ideas for dragons right now.  It's a bit sad that people who worked on the concepts behind the new release, and Abyss Watchers had to specifically say "I'm the person who came up with the idea," before talking about it just because no where on site does it list it as their work. Especially because if someone doesn't read every page, it's very easy to miss something like that, and go on to just say "Thank you to XX and XX" while not thanking the person who created the idea, without which, we never would have had the dragon in the first place. Writers are just as important as spriters. I think it's time Dragon Cave reflected that in its credits.

So really, that's just the long way to say I really support this, and I support enacting it as soon as possible and updating older dragons as we get that information. Heck, it might even make people come out of the woodwork to say they worked on a dragon if they see writers are starting to get credit where it's due.

Edited by DeathKiss

10 hours ago, Murkydepths said:

I do hope this update happens soon, even if it's partial.

I'd have to agree. Partial credits would be great while credits for older breeds remain pending. Sometimes contact isn't going to happen; some of these breeds are almost 15 years old and some contributors may not be contactable due to a numerous amount of reasons.

While it'd be great to have a single update that credited the correct people, there's a lot of work to make that happen. In the meantime, credits for newer breeds and those with known contributors would be a good start. I think it's better to have some credits and a process for crediting, than nothing at all.