schenanigans

Expand Site Credits

As title suggests, this suggestion is to expand upon the current credits provided on dragon pages throughout the site. Currently we just have the artist names credited after copyright at the bottom of the page. I'm hoping these (credits, not copyright) can be expanded to include writer(s) and conceptor(s) on a dragon's view page/encyclopedia.

The artist copyright can stay in the same place, but I would like to see "Writing Credits: Author(s)" and then "Concept Credits: Conceptor(s)" added below the generic dragon text at the bottom of the view page, and probably at the very bottom of the encyclopedia page below the unlocks/stats section. Though adding "Artist Credits: Artist(s)" to this new credit line to keep it all together would be nice, too. 

I understand for older breeds where the original details as to who wrote/concepted what may be lost to time; I imagine in these cases the credits for the writing and concept can be listed as "Anonymous" (or not listed at all) unless someone comes forth with substantial proof. 

I don't see any recent threads on this, and the last time TJ commented on a similar topic was in 2011. But that was a long time ago and things have changed. Other similar websites already list these types of credits, and it would be nice to see this change added to DC, as well. 

For clarity's sake, the previous comment and thread can be found here.

Edited by schenanigans

I fully support this suggestion (and not just because I have worked on, to date, four in-cave breeds without being given credit). Writing (and concepting) is just as much an art form as spriting; it takes time and energy to do well.

My only tweak to this suggestion would be that instead of listing it as "Writing Credits," list it as "Writing Copyright". Because that's what it is; DC has permission through a contract to use the artwork while the artist (be they spriter or writer) retains copyright to their work.

Total support! I get that spriter credits were originally listed for copyright/legal reasons, but in general I think it just makes sense to give credit to *all* artists. And yes writing is a form of art. These little pixel dragons we collect are beautiful and great to look at but a large part of the whole 'experience' is the descriptions, what different breeds are like and how they differ from each other, etc. The people who give us all of that deserve credit!

Support! I understand that the artists especially have copyright because we are essentially collecting their art, but I would like to see the credits expanded. This would be especially helpful for artists looking for collaborators or for individuals looking for a writer or concept creator to bring their own ideas to life.

From a creator's perspective, it not only gives credit where credit is due, but also offers on opportunity to develop CV's and portfolios. For example, I was commissioned to write a  V.O. piece for a puzzle game a while back. I was paid, have my name in several places for credit, and still maintain copyright. The original piece is in my portfolio with a link to the game. 

I second using the term "copyright" as well on the page because the creative work is tangibly on the site.  While TJ may own the IP after the release, the individual work still belongs to the creator. 

Absolutely, yes, full support!

The concept creator should get credit, and the writer of the breed description should get copyright. This info should be displayed on both the view page and the encyclopedia page.

The spriters do amazing work, but it's not fair if they get full credit for a dragon that they only did the spriting on if someone else came up with the idea and wrote the description.

Support! I would love to see the other contributors listed.

Support. It makes total sense to me to give credit to all who contribute.

Support! Anyone who contributes to the creation of the breed substantially enough, whether spriting, concepting, or writing, deserves credit. They all worked hard together to bring it to life for us to enjoy.

Huge support. Writing is just as valid of an art form as visual art is. It's rather disheartening to know that the writers of descriptions and encyclopedia entries don't receive any form of credit in that regard. I see no real downside to this. 

Full support. Writing is real and hard work. The writers, when known, deserve credit.

Full support! It is actually a bit baffling to me that writers do not get credit since - as others have already said - writing every bit as valid as an art form as visual art,  and a lot of the character of some dragon breeds are conveyed more by their descriptions than their sprites.

100% support this, the people who came up with the dragon in the first place should really have their name on it, we wouldn't have that dragon with out them

I never understood why written concepts are always ignored. If I make an effort to flesh out a concept, write pages upon pages about it, then someone else makes the sprites that then get a successful release, why would I want to remain anonymous? Why should I? They made the art, but the concept itself, written down, still belongs to me, so what's up with this?

Support for writer recognition, gosh darnit.

Big S U P P O R T! As stated above, writing is just as much an art form as spriting. A lot of these ideas wouldn't be able to come to life without descriptive writers behind the concept!

Bumping this thread in support of our amazing and dedicated writers and concept creators who deserve more recognition for their work.

i don't have anything to add to the reasoning already presented, just adding my support. even though this is a visual game, the text adds tremendous value to my playing experience and i'd love to be able to thank writers just as i do spriters. ❤

I love the description for the new Quonebb dragons, but we don't know who wrote it because there's no credit for them.