Darth Krande

Egg visible on the "You are overburdened" page

I frequently search the Abandoned Place for specific lineages (or caveborns) and more often than not get scroll locked in this process. Then instead of the code page, the message reads: "You are already overburdened and decide not to stress yourself by taking this egg.

You are at the limit for the number of eggs/hatchlings that you may have. See this help page for more information."

It would be highly convenient (and very much loved) if there would be the egg (hatching) visible and linked above the text.  For one, knowing *which* egg that is, would be a step forward. But the best would be, with one click, I could get to the view page (see its stats, for example - might be important in AP eggs) and with another click, I could see the lineage of the abandoned dragon. 

It would be MUCH easier to decide whether I want to make some space on my scroll and take this dragon, or if it's not what I've been looking for.   Lineage hunting would be waaay simpler. 

I understand why cave eggs are fogged before taking, but the AP is a very different area and interesting lineages are part of the game... So why shouldn't I see the lineage of a dragon whom I cannot (yet) take?

While I don't dislike this suggestion, I'm not sure what it would actually help for most people? Is there really a huge benefit to easily access the egg that is not yours and you couldn't take? What reason is there for that, really? I mean, if there are eggs you possibly want but you are locked, you can abandon some of your eggs. And it's very likely that if you get the overburdened message, then go abandon something, that same egg isn't going to still be in the AP anyways.  I could definitely support just showing the image of the egg (like the images on the trading history page) though.

(That said, a simple work-around is to manually change the url (from /abandoned to /lineage) if you want to see the lineage of what you didn't get.)

Edited by HeatherMarie

1 hour ago, Darth Krande said:

I frequently search the Abandoned Place for specific lineages (or caveborns) and more often than not get scroll locked in this process. Then instead of the code page, the message reads: "You are already overburdened and decide not to stress yourself by taking this egg.

You are at the limit for the number of eggs/hatchlings that you may have. See this help page for more information."

It would be highly convenient (and very much loved) if there would be the egg (hatching) visible and linked above the text.  For one, knowing *which* egg that is, would be a step forward. But the best would be, with one click, I could get to the view page (see its stats, for example - might be important in AP eggs) and with another click, I could see the lineage of the abandoned dragon. 

It would be MUCH easier to decide whether I want to make some space on my scroll and take this dragon, or if it's not what I've been looking for.   Lineage hunting would be waaay simpler. 

I understand why cave eggs are fogged before taking, but the AP is a very different area and interesting lineages are part of the game... So why shouldn't I see the lineage of a dragon whom I cannot (yet) take?

By the time you have cleared a space someone else might easily have it- wouldn't that frustrate you even more ?

You can view the lineage page of an egg you could not pick up, by editing the "You are overburdened..." URL, or the "Try as you might..." URL.

Simply replace the phrase "abandoned" with "lineage" (or even "view" if you just want to see its front page), and hit enter.

Edit; I did not read the replies thoroughly and only just noticed this was already mentioned. Oops.

Edited by Lushwave

Yes, you can edit the URL but it takes longer - and when you need to decide which egg is worth to throw something away, time may be very important. 

Chances are if you don't have a slot as soon as it first appears, someone will have taken the egg by the time you make space for it. It's best to just not hunt the AP while you're egg locked. If it's a good egg in the AP it will go FAST. 

If you're looking at a common in the AP, it might stick around just long enough for you to make space for it. But you can't hedge your bets on someone else not immediately snapping up a good egg out of the AP, especially when they have slots already and you do not.

I sometimes refresh the AP a couple times when I know I'm locked, just to see what sort of things are there at the moment.  But I really just don't see this suggestion as very helpful. If you are egglocked, there is a fairly big chance that by the time you decide which egg to abandon, actually abandon it, and go back to the AP, that egg you wanted won't be there anymore. This suggestion wouldn't really make that process any faster, and I can't really see any other use for it. If you really want to see the egg you missed you can change the url, I just don't think having a simpler way to see the egg's page would actually make much of a difference.

9 hours ago, UnicornMaiden said:

Why are you AP hunting when you're already egglocked?

This. :rolleyes:

No support. Don't hunt for eggs if you don't have the space. If your curiosity wins and you just have to take a peek, then do what others have already suggested, and change the URL.

Honestly, I think it might be more useful if it displayed your hatchling/egg status somewhere on the AP so that, if you're hunting and lose track of how many slots you have left it's right there on the page instead of going back to your dragons and manually counting them yourself or navigating to the egg limits page.  Sometimes a miscount happens and you think you have an extra slot than you actually do.

That would also be useful.

Those who think it's a bad idea, can you explain why it would be bad for anyone to see what they missed? At worst they don't click it. 

1 hour ago, KageSora said:

Honestly, I think it might be more useful if it displayed your hatchling/egg status somewhere on the AP so that, if you're hunting and lose track of how many slots you have left it's right there on the page instead of going back to your dragons and manually counting them yourself or navigating to the egg limits page.  Sometimes a miscount happens and you think you have an extra slot than you actually do.

I'd totally support that. I keep the egg limits page open in another tab when hunting the AP, but when finding lots of good stuff in a short amount of time I don't always think to refresh that page!

25 minutes ago, Darth Krande said:

Those who think it's a bad idea, can you explain why it would be bad for anyone to see what they missed? At worst they don't click it. 

I don't think it would be *bad* for anyone to see what they missed, I just don't think this new feature being added would actually have any real benefit, certainly not the benefit the OP seems to think it would. Theoretically it could also be a little confusing, with people wondering why the egg shows and is clickable if they didn't get it (and given the reason for wanting this in the OP, this could possibly lead people to believe that they *could* pick up that egg if they just abandon something else first, which is not something that should be implied at all). 

I essentially do this using the quick change of URL.  Can be a fast way to double check a large portion of the AP lineages in a shorter time than picking up each and every single egg.  I have in another tab the sacrifice egg/hatchling that I am willing to dump on the abandonment page ready to go.  When I find one I want I backspace to the overburdened message and refresh to make sure it's still there and not picked up.  Then I quickly drop the designated sacrifice and grab the new one I want.  Sometimes it fails and in the time it takes to drop one and attempt to grab the other someone else got it.  Usually I get it as I am lineage hunting what other people call common or the AP is flooded with that breed.  And no this isn't an option for things like prizes and pink sapphires,  those you must grab first and decide whether to keep after it hits your scroll.  Hesitate and those vanish quickly.

Seeing a lineage preview on the overburdened page could be interesting, have to be marked to indicate it's preview only and you don't yet own that egg.

I never thought to keep an 'abandon a sacrifice' tab open, but it's a brilliant idea!

(I hunt for the fail hybrids, especialy fail-nobleshields. When I find a fail-emerald, I only throw it back if it blocks me from a fail-shield. But I have to check four or five messy crimsons / blues to find a 2g failure.)

Edited by Darth Krande

6 hours ago, Darth Krande said:

That would also be useful.

Well - I agree with HeatherMarie

6 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I don't think it would be *bad* for anyone to see what they missed, I just don't think this new feature being added would actually have any real benefit, certainly not the benefit the OP seems to think it would. Theoretically it could also be a little confusing, with people wondering why the egg shows and is clickable if they didn't get it (and given the reason for wanting this in the OP, this could possibly lead people to believe that they *could* pick up that egg if they just abandon something else first, which is not something that should be implied at all). 

And the egg can easily go while you are thinking about whether you are thinking about taking it - or worse - in the moments that you abandon something to take it.

10 hours ago, Darth Krande said:

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea. I would just say it's unnecessary and not likely to be useful. If you want to go AP hunting and check out lineages the simple solution is to make sure you're not egglocked.

Personally, I make it a point to always keep at least one slot open so I have a space available in case I happen to come across a must-have egg. I only ever egglock myself during the holidays or if that occasional must-have comes along and takes my reserve slot.

I don't particularly think it's a bad idea either. I think it would be neat aesthetically to see the egg you missed on the overburdened page.

However, I believe Dracena's method would be the quickest, most effective way to hunt in the AP while overburdened if you choose to do so. Having a clickable egg link on the overburdened page would only be slightly quicker than just changing the url, especially if you have "lineage" on your clipboard for easy AP viewing. If you don't have an egg or hatchie ready to dump, you still have to take the time to go through your slots and decide which is worth abandoning. So, I don't believe adding a link to the overburdened page alone really would solve the root issue of missing out on good eggs while overburdened AP hunting.

when I skimmed this suggestion at first I thought it was about showing you all the eggs currently locking you so you can quickly choose one to toss away. I could see something like that being helpful in a pinch? but yeah on its own I don't think this would accomplish much

On 3/18/2022 at 4:29 PM, UnicornMaiden said:

Why are you AP hunting when you're already egglocked?

This!

No support from me. You can edit the url and decide after. Yeah, it takes a little longer, but if it was a good thing it was allready picked, if not, you have the time. And you allready kinda know what you clicked on (breed)

I see no use and no sense in this

Why AP hunt when egglocked?

Let me show you.

I have an unlocked scroll (2/8 eggs) and an even-gen lineage project that includes failbluna eggs - so I need skywing or deepsea / water eggs that are 2g from a pair that can also produce a bluna.

In addition, I wouldn't turn down a 2g failrider, that is a coastrunner or an electric from a potentially stormrider-producing pair. 

The AP currently looks like this (not photoshopped) 

NmZdXI5.png

How would you go about checking all their lineages to see which are worth a refresh after making space?

And also. Holidays.

The AP is full of shadowwalker, marrow, and cavelurker eggs with an occasional flash of a quickly-grabbed more recent breed. Do you seriously not wonder which of these might be a prizekin or a SAlt offspring? 

Edited by Darth Krande

If I had 6 slots, I'd grab 6 of them, check and dump.

If I were locked, I wouldn't look.

59 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

This is how I do it. If there is a lot of potentially-good stuff in the AP I grab all I can, check them all, dump the ones I don't want to keep, rinse repeat. 

Regardless, though, I don't think the 'why' of AP hunting when locked really matters. This suggestion is *not* going to help you get an egg that you couldn't because you were locked. It would save maybe a max of 2-5 seconds, if you are moving quickly in general, and if the egg is at all interesting it's almost certainly gone by the time you make room for it. This suggestion doesn't change anything about that, as the OP seems to think it would. The *only* thing this suggestion does is make it *slightly* easier to get to the view-page (which still needs a second click to check the lineage). 

(Also, would this possibly encourage retaliation viewbombing, if someone else gets the egg and it's easy to just go to the view page and copy the code or something? I dunno, might not be an issue, it just entered my mind.)

3 hours ago, Darth Krande said:

Why AP hunt when egglocked?

Let me show you.

I have an unlocked scroll (2/8 eggs) and an even-gen lineage project that includes failbluna eggs - so I need skywing or deepsea / water eggs that are 2g from a pair that can also produce a bluna.

In addition, I wouldn't turn down a 2g failrider, that is a coastrunner or an electric from a potentially stormrider-producing pair. 

The AP currently looks like this (not photoshopped) 

NmZdXI5.png

How would you go about checking all their lineages to see which are worth a refresh after making space?

And also. Holidays.

The AP is full of shadowwalker, marrow, and cavelurker eggs with an occasional flash of a quickly-grabbed more recent breed. Do you seriously not wonder which of these might be a prizekin or a SAlt offspring? 

I don't understand the point you're making. Just grab an egg and check the lineage. If you like it keep it. If you don't like it then just reabandon it and grab another one. It's not like grabbing eggs from the biomes where you have to wait five hours to get rid of it. AP eggs can be reabandoned immediately if you don't like them. 

During the holidays when I'm looking for nice finds I'll grab dozens of eggs to check the lineage and then just toss back the ones I don't want.

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

That's what I do--I hunt specifically for CBs of certain breeds that are fairly common, so it involves a lot of "grab, check line, dump if it's bred, repeat".  I just...  Don't do it while I'm locked with stuff.

Like I said earlier, I could see putting your lock status on the top of the AP in case you miscount (I've definitely done that), but I don't see how you'll get anything fantastic faster.  I mean, this would make it easier to get the stuff virtually nobody else wants I suppose, but aside from that it'll mostly just let you have an easier time staring sadly at the egg you missed out on because somebody else snapped it up in the time you were busy deciding what to dump to make room.

I also sometimes hunt for commons while locked, because it takes way less effort to check all the lineages without even grabbing the eggs and then if I find something I want I will dump something to grab it. However, I don't support this suggestion for a reason that I did not see specifically mentioned yet. DC on the whole makes a point of only giving you agency over your own eggs, if you abandon something you have 0 control over what happens to it etc., and I think that's how it should be. Getting a direct link to an egg that is not yours seems to go against that principle. Yes, technically we can change the url to check the lineage (which is what I do as well) but if the game gives me the same kind of link as when I do catch an egg, even without the codes, to me it implies that I have a right to view that egg's page. But it's not up to me, the person who actually grabs it might immediately hide it. This suggestion just seems not fitting for DC in my opinion.