trystan

View Group Names on Dragon Info Page

I'd like the ability to view the groups that I've put the dragons in on the dragon info page.  Sometimes they're in more that one group, and I'd like to see all the groups - as links - displayed.  This could be in addition to the drop-down box that where the groups can be selected to add or remove them from.

The group(s) could also be shown on the page when others visit the dragons as well, and they'd be able to then click on the group(s) and see what other dragons are also in that group(s).  This could be optional (like displaying your scroll name to others), so that only you would be able to see your groups.

After some further  comments, the list of groups would change to a link (like the Progeny link) if a certain number of groups were surpassed.  This way, the page wouldn't be filled with links. 

Edited by trystan
further updating

Support! It would be really nice to be able to see at a glance all the groups a dragon is in. And having a link to the group right there on the view page would be so much better than having to go back to the main scroll page for the drop-down list there. As you say, this should be in addition to the drop-down list that we have now for adding them to another group.

1 minute ago, purplehaze said:

It would be really nice to be able to see at a glance all the groups a dragon is in.

exactly!

thanks! :D

I did find a similar suggestion that was made quite some time ago.

It covers at least some of what you are suggesting.

interesting similar suggestion yes.

the trickiest part for me is coming up with the wording so others can envision what i'm saying.

i also don't have a graphics editing tool i could use to show where or how these links might be displayed, but maybe under Location for CB eggs, and under Breed for bred eggs.  it could be a clickable list, similar to the Children list of dragon parents

Definite support! An easier/faster way to see what groups a specific dragon is in and get to those groups from that dragon's page would be very helpful.

However, I don't agree with making it available for everyone else to see. Groups can be private, or public, and when they are public it's with the knowledge that "Anyone with the link can see the dragons in this group".  That's a very handy way to share groups among friends or lineage-planners or whatever, but I wouldn't necessarily want *everyone* to be able to get to my groups through a dragon's page. 

2 hours ago, trystan said:

i also don't have a graphics editing tool i could use to show where or how these links might be displayed, but maybe under Location for CB eggs, and under Breed for bred eggs.  it could be a clickable list, similar to the Children list of dragon parents

Made a mockup with my own dragon, is this in line with your vision?

chrome_ylKFDrzckC.png.8f13df5a8764aad9530418a0cc4907ab.png

And yes, like how the "Last Bred" info works, I would prefer if this was handy information seen by yourself rather than everyone.

3 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Support! It would be really nice to be able to see at a glance all the groups a dragon is in. And having a link to the group right there on the view page would be so much better than having to go back to the main scroll page for the drop-down list there. As you say, this should be in addition to the drop-down list that we have now for adding them to another group.

You dont have to go back to the main page. You can use the "add to group" drop down for each dragon and it will have the boxes already checked for ones it's in.  Not the best solution either but it's less steps.

That being said, full support.  I find too many I either forgot to add or added to the wrong one all the time.

48 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

However, I don't agree with making it available for everyone else to see. Groups can be private, or public, and when they are public it's with the knowledge that "Anyone with the link can see the dragons in this group". 

45 minutes ago, Lushwave said:

And yes, like how the "Last Bred" info works, I would prefer if this was handy information seen by yourself rather than everyone.

fair points.

maybe if the group is a public group, the option could be there to make that visible (or not) to others.

45 minutes ago, Lushwave said:

Made a mockup with my own dragon, is this in line with your vision?

chrome_ylKFDrzckC.png.8f13df5a8764aad9530418a0cc4907ab.png

yes, perfect! thank you!!

3 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

I find too many I either forgot to add or added to the wrong one all the time.

definitely this.  mainly forgetting to add it to a group in the first place. XD 

Edited by trystan

support! This would be super useful especially when I'm juggling multiple groups

2 minutes ago, Moriaty said:

especially when I'm juggling multiple groups

my thoughts exactly

1 hour ago, DragonLady86 said:

You dont have to go back to the main page. You can use the "add to group" drop down for each dragon and it will have the boxes already checked for ones it's in.  Not the best solution either but it's less steps.

That works to see what groups they are in, even if it is a bit awkward, especially if you have a lot of groups. But, I meant actually being able to click to directly get to the group that a dragon is in. And I don't believe there is currently any way to do that from the dragon's view page. That is what I meant by having to go back to the main scroll page to actually access the group.

Edited by purplehaze

2 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

That being said, full support.  I find too many I either forgot to add or added to the wrong one all the time.

This is probably the main reason I'd find this useful, honestly. I add dragons to groups when I name them, but I can't even count the number of times I've later realized named dragons weren't in groups they should be in.  (And, as I mentioned in a long-ago thread about the drop-down, for people with bad memories/attention issues and tons of groups, scrolling through the drop-down list to see what's checked isn't really an easy thing...)

It would make it easier on nubes like me. I could learn the names and nature

of them faster and maybe instead of breed names I could actually give all my dragons names! 

No support. Too much clutter. Highly dislike the idea of having a bunch of groups visible on my dragon's page. The current feature with the drop down menu to see which group that dragon is in, and allowing me to put it in another/remove it right there, is all that's necessary.

I would probably stop using groups if this was added, so I didn't see them on my dragons pages. So unless this was an optional thing, where it's not forced on everyone who wants to use groups, I do NOT support this in any way.

1 minute ago, LadyLoki said:

So unless this was an optional thing, where it's not forced on everyone who wants to use groups, I do NOT support this in any way.

if possible, it could be a toggle on or off feature.

14 minutes ago, trystan said:

if possible, it could be a toggle on or off feature.

Yeah, if it were something you could toggle on or off, I would have no problem with this suggestion.

26 minutes ago, LadyLoki said:

Yeah, if it were something you could toggle on or off, I would have no problem with this suggestion.

then optional this could be! :)

If I remember correctly, TJ is not a big fan of things being optional.

What if it did work like the progeny page? With that page, once a dragon has a certain number of offspring they are not all listed, but instead there is just a link that says "view children". So if clutter on the view page is a problem for some users like @LadyLoki maybe if a dragon was included in more than 1 group (or maybe 2) you could just have a link that says "view groups". Would that work? Is that a compromise that could please everyone?

50 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

If I remember correctly, TJ is not a big fan of things being optional.

What if it did work like the progeny page? With that page, once a dragon has a certain number of offspring they are not all listed, but instead there is just a link that says "view children". So if clutter on the view page is a problem for some users like @LadyLoki maybe if a dragon was included in more than 1 group (or maybe 2) you could just have a link that says "view groups". Would that work? Is that a compromise that could please everyone?

I guess I just automatically assumed it *would* work that way, since the progeny on the view page works that way. I wouldn't want a huge list of groups cluttering every view page either, but I figured it would work like progeny where there is instead a link to a 'groups this dragon is in' page if it's in more than a couple groups.

To me, and this might just be me, but to me a huge advantage for something like this would simply be less steps and less loading required to *get* to the groups in question. Right now we can *see* the groups checkmarked in the drop-down, but in order to actually get to any of those groups we have to load our main scroll page (now that the link for Groups is no longer accessible via the Account tab...), and for those of us who find it most helpful to use higher 'number of dragons per page', loading the scroll page every single time I need to navigate to a group can get very frustrating. (Honestly this is part of the reason I've started just leaving certain groups open in tabs for days at a time, eventually having tabs open for days slows my internet but it's much easier than navigating to my scroll constantly.)

5 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I guess I just automatically assumed it *would* work that way, since the progeny on the view page works that way. I wouldn't want a huge list of groups cluttering every view page either, but I figured it would work like progeny where there is instead a link to a 'groups this dragon is in' page if it's in more than a couple groups.

I have to say that I assumed the same, but I don't see that as "clutter" that is so objectionable that I would stop using groups if it were to happen, so maybe it needed to be clarified?

I certainly think the convenience of it outweighs the extra line or two on the view page.