_Terminus24

World War 3? Russia goes into Ukraine territory.

@StrikerEureka

My utter respect for your wife @Astharoshe! May she stay well and succeed in her mission!

Everybody in Ukraine, stay strong! My thoughts are with you, as little as it will help. My thoughts also go to everybody who has friends and relatives in this horrible war.

I wish there were more ways to properly inform the Russian people about the atrocities Putin commits and lets his supporters commit - but with all the crackdown on independent media in Russia, this is increasingly difficult and so many are ill informed and thus believe Putin's outrageous lies.

6 hours ago, StrikerEureka said:

She's on here as much as she can be tho, and thanks everyone for breaking up the hell she's in 

Hugs to you both.

The BBC has reverted to shortwave radio to get news into Ukraine and Russia.

There seems to be no end to Putin's cruelty. He finds he has bitten off more than he can chew. The Ukrainian people are determined to fight for their sovereignty and have not folded in the face of Russia's onslaught. Sadly,  a frustrated, embarrassed Putin is probably even more dangerous than before.

My orchestra friend has relatives in Ukraine, luckily they made it out of there safely without being bombed. I'm not taking sides but I do feel sympathy for those that are victims of this upcoming war. (Chinese parentage)

I feel sympathy for the civilians in Ukraine and in Russia. I have heard that Russians are fleeing their country because they are afraid of what Putin is doing. I have heard that over one million Ukrainians have fled their country.  It is so heartbreaking.

@StormBirdRising

As of today the estimate is that there are about 2.5 million Ukrainians on the flight. The majority of them are currently taken care of in Poland, but other surrounding countries look after them, too.

The people in Russia are more and more suppressed by Putin and his cronies - by now the last independent media have been taken down and anybody who reports things that Putin doesn't like can be punished by up to 15 years in prison. The down side of this is that the Russian people are only fed Putin's propaganda and thus mostly believe his lies. There are still incredibly courageous Russians who protest against the war (mostly those who have friend and relatives in Ukraine or are able to circumvent the media blackout), but these are punished harshly and thrown into prison, too.

I really, really hope that someone manages to stop this murderous monster in the Kremlin ASAP!

Yeah, Russian people should not be blamed for what Putin is doing. The civilians in Russia are victims, too. My thoughts are with everyone suffering in any way because of this war. Nordic media has started to publish news in Russian, by the way. I hope those will reach some of the misinformed people, so that this could help at least a bit.

Er, first: @Astharoshe and @Essfia, would either of you be cheered up at all by a 2G prize or prizekin?  I'd be happy to give you one with a second parent of your choice - or keep an eye out for anything else you need.  It is a terribly small thing but having silly pastimes when everything is going to hell in a handbasket helps sometimes and I don't even know what else I can do.

Seconding what everyone has been saying about this being a remarkably one-sided, uncomplicated, it's-not-remotely-Ukraine's-fault kind of situation.  

As I understand it, Putin's main justification for his atrocious act of USSR fanboydom is that Ukraine is working to join NATO, because, well, they're a European country that wants safety from a Russia that is unfortunately in the grip of a narcissistic despot.  I'm really worried if Ukraine keeps holding out, Putin's going to have a tantrum and throw troops at Poland, say, too, and go down swinging for his imperialist ambitions, or even break out nuclear options because he has that power and would rather break things than let anyone else have them.  

I also echo others in saying this isn't the Russian people's invasion at all, and I think that's going to be important for a lot of us in other parts of the world to keep repeating to our neighbors.

One of my good friends around Washington, DC, in the USA, is a Russian immigrant from Siberia.  Her grandfather was Ukrainian - he walked to Siberia from Ukraine between the world wars for sad reasons he preferred not to discuss, and my friend's always intended to go and try to find her relatives in Ukraine and try to re-establish ties with them.  She's been beside herself watching all this unfold and I'm really worried someone's anger at Russia, especially in the politically charged area where she lives, is going to get taken out on her.  She's maybe 5' tall and 100 lbs, and teaches preschool - for all that her personality is 10' tall.  She has three little boys - the oldest probably isn't even 10 yet.  She moved here and immediately got super fascinated by all of the new plants and animals around her, and started hiking all over and learning everything about them - she helps me organize a group of native plant nerds and frequently makes me really annoyed with myself for not having worked as hard to know nature here as she has.

I think especially fellow Americans and others from countries where citizens have real rights and voice and protections need to remember right now that Russia has and exercises scarily infinite latitude in punishing those arrested for protesting against their government - which is not legal in Russia.  Also, Putin's political adversaries have a mysterious habit of falling out windows.  So many of us are so used to it being citizens' fault that jackasses are leading a country that we don't stop to really let it sink in that, even in this day and age, there are jackasses like Putin out there who aren't really accountable to their people. 

My Siberian friend's got a sister-in-law at home who paints cyberpunk cityscapes in exactly the sort of jaw-dropping nerdy fashion I suspect any of us on this site would making squeaky appreciative noises about, and her mom is there, and she has these stories about waiting in lines for food as a kid, and she's just... waiting for someone to strike out against her in public half a world away - she says she knows it's coming - while she keeps trying to live a life that contributes something here and trying to figure out what she can to do help folks in Ukraine.   
I think that all of us being clear about who is really responsible for this, how one-sided it is, and how wrong it is is going to be really important to protecting the innocent from backlash in the near future.  Please know when not picking a side isn't a conscientious option and look after your friends, y'all.  And if you live somewhere where you have the right to hold your government accountable, write letters to your representatives, go to protests when they're needed, get involved locally, research candidates, vote, and generally be aware of the privilege and responsibility you have.

Been in the middle of it til a few days ago. Feels like it's been an eternity. This has definitely been a different experience. All of my military service was on a destroyer. I've never been plopped into this kind of battlefield, and I've only attacked through panels and tech, and almost entirely at decoys and dummies. For lack of better words, this is literal hell. The only bright side here is that it's definitely emboldened the Ukrainians as well as myself and other vets, foreign legion volunteers, doctors, etc. We got into a bit of a sticky situation and me and some of my mates are a little worse for wear, but on the bright side, we've finally been able to get through to and possibly onto a ship (not like we have much use out here like this anyway) to either help or direct. I'm not aware of the current naval situation or how much help theyll allow us to provide, but hopefully we get to show our abilities out here. I hope hope hope one of my country's ships gets sent to play, even if I don't get to see personally. I don't suspect myself and two others are not going to stay the whole thing out because of injuries, etc., but we did some excellent work. Lots of drinking and fighting (literally one item that was recommended for packing was vodka/drinking alcohol), and frankly it's necessary and has many uses) has kind of switched my brain off, and I keep trying to remind myself that at some point, gravity will hit. There are awful things happening out here. There are children dying and civilians taking fire. What's worse, the lower tiers of invading soldiers seem to be absolutely clueless as to what on earth they're doing. They are marching blindly. Either way, I've got a few days to relax. Anyone who wants to help, docs without borders and similar organizations could use donations. Refugees need beds. Even plain old cash donations make a difference. Don't forget that Putin may be wrong, but much of his military and country is simply uninformed. But also don't let the bad eggs fly under the radar. And keep hope that we can turn this around. 

3 minutes ago, Astharoshe said:

keep hope that we can turn this around. 

*hugs* Definitely hoping!

Stay safe!

Refugees need food, too. There are a couple of food networks that I keep hearing about doing awesome work keeping everyone fed.

What really bothers me is the women fleeing on foot giving birth. 

21 hours ago, Melusina said:

Er, first: @Astharoshe and @Essfia, would either of you be cheered up at all by a 2G prize or prizekin?  I'd be happy to give you one with a second parent of your choice - or keep an eye out for anything else you need.  It is a terribly small thing but having silly pastimes when everything is going to hell in a handbasket helps sometimes and I don't even know what else I can do.

*hugs* You're so sweet! But in my opinion it's not fair to receive extra benefit in games bec of my situation. Thanks! ❤️

Ur support is the most powerful thing that you can do ^^

Let's trade our 2g prize in more peaceful times

~

I'm ok.

Miss my family, we're still in diff cities

All of my friends which stay in Ukraine alive. A lot of my friends from Kharkiv in Poland or Lviv now. Hope we're seeing again and drink a cup of coffee in park, as usual (sure when we saw each other, bec I live in Odessa and now it's such a quiet place. But how long?)

Miss my cat (he's blind from birth, and it's really difficult now) and I don't have a car to evacuate both of us without problem and nerv for him. My friends which have a car take him to village in 20 km from Romania boards. This tail is happy with new friend (little dog) in their house, and it's really the best way for him, be not at my home right now. But I miss it so much.

Oh, it seems that I miss my psychotherapist too :D

Edited by Essfia

I live in Romania and having this basically in your backyard is horrifying.

It baffles me that people here buy into the NATO is doing this and Ukraine should give up the territory.
If Putin wins he'll be emboldened to get more and we're gonna be next at some point. We used to be in the communist block during the cold war after all
Guess the olds are like "we've been through this once it's not that bad"? I don't know I can't comprehend. Facebook brain i guess

7 minutes ago, Corvith said:

I live in Romania and having this basically in your backyard is horrifying.

It baffles me that people here buy into the NATO is doing this and Ukraine should give up the territory.
If Putin wins he'll be emboldened to get more and we're gonna be next at some point. We used to be in the communist block during the cold war after all
Guess the olds are like "we've been through this once it's not that bad"? I don't know I can't comprehend. Facebook brain i guess

I got back from over there a few weeks ago, and I after that living hell, I agree that the world's reaction and "try more peace talks" idea is stupid at best (and insulting at worst). If Russia were dropping bombs on the US tomorrow, no one would say to try and play nice. This wasn't my first time in combat, but it was different in a bad way. The Russians literally do not care what they are doing to people there, and Putin is a spiteful, overgrown man-child who better hope that when someone gets him, it all ends quick. I hope Ukraine can hold out, because like you say, if they don't, Putin isn't going to just decide to chill.

2 minutes ago, Astharoshe said:

I got back from over there a few weeks ago, and I after that living hell, I agree that the world's reaction and "try more peace talks" idea is stupid at best (and insulting at worst). If Russia were dropping bombs on the US tomorrow, no one would say to try and play nice. This wasn't my first time in combat, but it was different in a bad way. The Russians literally do not care what they are doing to people there, and Putin is a spiteful, overgrown man-child who better hope that when someone gets him, it all ends quick. I hope Ukraine can hold out, because like you say, if they don't, Putin isn't going to just decide to chill.

And it's thrown around like "I can't believe Americans are doing this" and sth sth Biden as if Ukrainians are like children or don't have the capacity do make their own decisions, it feels really condescending

Like this conceited attitude by saying "Hmph! But did you know that actually America bad?" where they don't even have anything to do with it isn't helping and isn't far off in terms of outcome if they just went "you're unimportant and we don't care about anyone besides ourselves" (but worse cuz they're smug about it)
I just hope they don't do "the big funny" with nukes (tho i read somewhere that that's part of their doctrine while retreating? not sure about that tho)

3 hours ago, Astharoshe said:

I'm glad to read of you despite you being in such a horrible danger.

The illegal terrorist war Putin wages on the Ukraine is all over the news in Germany every day and it is really horrifying.

My home town's twin town Zaporizhzhia is among the towns under constant heavy attack. This is particularly worriosome not only due to the heavy cost for the people directly, but also as the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, Europe largest nuclear plant is only 60km away from the town and already suffered some shelling, too.

The outrageous thing is that Putin claims Ukraine is responsible for much of the atrocities the Russian troops (and their highly criminal hired gangs from Chechnya and some other regions) commit. His fake claims there might be attacks with dirty bombs and US produced biochemical weapons is particularly frightening as it might be a pretext for Putin using dirty bombs and biochemical weapons himself there - he just tried to sow the seeds that he can blame the victims.

I really hope that people in Russia get so fed up with their sons, husbands, friends etc getting sent to be slaughtered for an unjust terrorist war against Ukraine that they finally stand up and overthrow this insane genocidal dictator.

I learned about the invasion by a japanese rock singer who was worried about his family in Ukraine. Hours later it was all over the news.

Third world war will be, and it will be the last. People turned into abominations, abusing each other, abusing nature, killing animals like it's a common thing, knowing no respect and having no code for life, relationships, anything... World is going to end and it was about time. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but there was a song by Scorpions - The wings of change. This is the change we brought upon this planet. We ruined it . We killed it. Why we expect something else in return?

On 10/28/2022 at 1:14 PM, Astreya said:

My home town's twin town Zaporizhzhia is among the towns under constant heavy attack. This is particularly worriosome not only due to the heavy cost for the people directly, but also as the Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, Europe largest nuclear plant is only 60km away from the town and already suffered some shelling, too.

I'm from Zaporizhzhia. Thank you for talking about us ❤️

11 hours ago, FarawayCreatures said:

* hugs* It's so hard watching it all from the other side of the world. :(

13 hours ago, FarawayCreatures said:

Stay strong and greetings from Mykolaiv ☺️

We're stronger that everybody thinks. Our army, our heroes, stronger than terrorists from russia. And any blackouts and bombs can't change this fact

Edited by Essfia

8 hours ago, Essfia said:

Stay strong and greetings from Mykolaiv ☺️

We're stronger that everybody thinks. Our army, our heroes, stronger than terrorists from russia. And any blackouts and bombs can't change this fact

You're absolutely right. What can I say, Slava Ukraini ❤️

27 minutes ago, FarawayCreatures said:

You're absolutely right. What can I say, Slava Ukraini ❤️

In case if you need support or some help please write me ^^ I'll try to help.

Geroyam Slava ❤️