Shadowdrake

bug?: Low-time regular AP eggs blocked by hidden higher-time holiday eggs

I first suspected this around Halloween after a stealth AP change. Eggs in the regular queue, no matter how low on time, appear to lose priority if I have last-abandoned eggs in the Holiday queue no matter how high-time. (I coordinated a regular mass-breed around Halloween and discovered that they would only start reappearing once the breeder's Halloween eggs had been picked up first, and could die without even showing in AP if the player had bred late holidays.) 

Since I currently have holidays in the queue, any regular eggs I pick up from AP and drop back in vanish entirely and are doomed to die unless I add them to a hatchery. As an example I'm certain this egg never appeared back in the AP even though I returned to the page in under a second, and it was originally  with several other colossi that didn't get grabbed quickly so it's not a case of instant demand (though only TJ can confirm).

I don't think this is a great implementation, so I'm making a note here in case it was unintentional and TJ would like to make adjustments.

Update: the colossus hatchie has now grown up wild, so unless a catcher released it in the ~2 hours between its slated grow time and me checking on it, it never showed up in the AP again after I tossed it back.

Conclusion: for people who have 12+ holiday eggs (or hatchies) in the AP queue, anything non-holiday whether it's something they breed, grab and toss from caves, or pick up and re-ap, will not show up again in the AP for a significant amount of time. This means a lot of things may be dying or growing wild without ever being shown, given the holiday AP can last over 1.5 weeks.

Spitball suggestion: if having a rolling update of lowest time eggs to show causes problems, maybe split it so each abandoner has a displayed max of 12 regular and 12 holiday dragons at all times instead?

Edited by Shadowdrake

1 hour ago, Shadowdrake said:

Spitball suggestion: if having a rolling update of lowest time eggs to show causes problems, maybe split it so each abandoner has a displayed max of 12 regular and 12 holiday dragons at all times instead?

This may be a better solution, I would say perhaps a percentage of that bottom non-hol row as I think 12 would be all of it?

I have a bunch of eggs sitting at 2, 3, 4 days all while the bottom row is rising to 6 days! A 3G gold from mint I bred died last Christmas because of this :(

3 minutes ago, Ruffledfeathers said:

I would say perhaps a percentage of that bottom non-hol row as I think 12 would be all of it?

I say 12 for both because it's probably easier to implement and less likely to bug out if the number doesn't change between holiday and non-holiday seasons, plus right now if someone's regular eggs do show they're monopolizing the regular AP line anyways + the odds of someone taking up 3 lines of the AP are pretty small since the two APs usually have different times. Even if it happens I don't see it as a big concern to choose over a more plain solution.

5 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

17 minutes ago, Ruffledfeathers said:

I would say perhaps a percentage of that bottom non-hol row as I think 12 would be all of it?

I say 12 for both because it's probably easier to implement and less likely to bug out if the number doesn't change between holiday and non-holiday seasons, plus right now if someone's regular eggs do show they're monopolizing the regular AP line anyways + the odds of someone taking up 3 lines of the AP are pretty small since the two APs usually have different times. Even if it happens I don't see it as a big concern to choose over a more plain solution.

Fair argument :) 

Yeah, this thread also seems to be discussing the same issue:

It would definitely explain why we get random small floods of lower time regular eggs in the AP occasionally. Some people's valentines get picked up, unblocking the invisible queue. 

I agree that something should be done about this. Adding a line of regular eggs to the AP seemed to be at least partially to keep eggs from dying, and the way things are now it doesn't work as intended. @TJ09

The bottom line of the AP has bounced from 5 days back to three days a few times for a few refreshes tonight thinking about it... 

this definitely seems to be what's going on. the bottom row is currently at 6(!) days, but i've been seeing floods of handfuls of 1-3 day eggs randomly. i think @TJ09 should definitely take a look at this, as there seems to be a wall of invisible eggs that will die soon.

The last row of non holiday eggs has disappeared for me just now after they rapidly increased to 7 days. Seems to be getting worse.