Starbit

Name Holiday Dragons In Encyclopedia

I know this has been suggested before, but the only thread I can find with the awful search system is from 2016 so. I'm doing over.

bba.jpg.42ab40c907da625151be49bf682a4bfb.jpg

Please. I am begging. Name the Holiday dragons in the Encyclopedia by their names. The inconsistency with Valentines and Halloweens is maddening. If the issue still is the Holly has no 'official' name, then just call it Holiday 2009 and have the rest be named. In fact we already do this for the Valentine 2009s.

We already use these names on site in other places. In their descriptions, in the Aegis' enrage BSA, but not in the encyclopedia. It is inconsistent and it makes no sense for new users. If you are brand new and have not joined the forum and have never obtained or seen any of these dragons, how on earth are you supposed to know what someone in the Trade Hub means if they ask for a Yulebuck, or a Solstice? I appreciate modern holidays have the names in the descriptions, but this is not the case for many older breeds, including the Aegis. 

There is no singular good reason I have found over the years of debate on this since the Encyclopedia was created to treat Holidays in this way. Give them their names.

TJ responded here last year:

and here in 2018:

still fully support though. I don't understand why having distinct descriptions is a requirement when they all already have official artist/conceptor given names

Ah, my bad for missing last years - damned Search functionality.

I'm struggling to understand his reasoning, when one of the dragons without a distinct description - Aegis - is referred to by that name on the site in the BSA for Pacify, but not in the Encyclopedia. At least be consistent. I still think this needs his reconsideration, it simply makes no sense the way it is.

Support, despite TJ's previous statement. We already have unique descriptions on a bunch of Holidays, including their unique names. If anything it's more confusing to read those but then still have the dragon called holiday x. Just give them the proper names, and any that don't have names/descriptions can keep the name/description they have now.

Edited by MissK.

So, TJ has responded that the Encyclopedia names won't change until they have official names through distinct descriptions. So the suggestion shouldn't really be to change the Encyclopedia names, but to actually *give* the older holiday breeds distinct descriptions so that this change *can* take place. That has been a thing TJ has mentioned multiple times now, and yet it doesn't seem to be much of a priority, which is why these encyclopedia-name suggestions keep being made. 

I'm curious if it's simply the case of it not being a priority, or if there is anything actually keeping this change from happening. Is there any actual reason the older holidays "haven't* been update with distinct descriptions after that being mentioned years ago?

4 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'm curious if it's simply the case of it not being a priority, or if there is anything actually keeping this change from happening. Is there any actual reason the older holidays "haven't* been update with distinct descriptions after that being mentioned years ago?

the snows is a case of me no longer having the original description escapistlore wrote. i've reached out to them recently but there's no guarantee they have the description either (and they're very busy irl so it may take some time for them to reply).

I wouldn't mind to see this change. But I was kind of happy reading the "Holiday dragons are a very mysterious breed" description on every Holiday dragon, until the Garlands made the change.

I don't remember if the Holiday dragons from 2017 to 2021 had the name of the species on their "view" page. If that was the case I was wondering if every single Holiday dragon would eventually have the "Holiday dragons are very mysterious breed" description.  Just kind of digressing but it's something related to the topic.

I'm 50-50.

As I said in another thread on the same topic, I don't mind either way, but think it would be helpful if those with official names went into the Encylopedia as:

Holiday 2021 - Pryanost Lindwyrm

Holiday 2020 - Glystere Wyrm

And those without official names remained as:

Holiday 20XX

This way, all the Holiday breeds still sort together in the encyclopedia and on scrolls (sort of like how the Xenowyrms, Luminas, etc. Sort on scrolls and in the encylopedia) while still allowing people to see their unique names

18 hours ago, ShorahNagi said:

As I said in another thread on the same topic, I don't mind either way, but think it would be helpful if those with official names went into the Encylopedia as:

Holiday 20XX

This way, all the Holiday breeds still sort together in the encyclopedia and on scrolls (sort of like how the Xenowyrms, Luminas, etc. Sort on scrolls and in the encylopedia) while still allowing people to see their unique names

Going further with this idea (which I like), we could even have both the standard holiday dragon description and the breed-specific one. It could start with the default, general one, then go on about the specific breed if that dragon does have a description. If it doesn't, just stick with only the default we have now.

19 hours ago, ShorahNagi said:

Holiday 20XX

Agree 100%, as I have said in other threads on this subject. I don't really see why we can't use the official names for the ones that have them. And putting the Holiday xxxx in front would keep them all sorted as they are now.

36 minutes ago, MissK. said:

Going further with this idea (which I like), we could even have both the standard holiday dragon description and the breed-specific one. It could start with the default, general one, then go on about the specific breed if that dragon does have a description. If it doesn't, just stick with only the default we have now.

I like this idea, too. Might require approval by the spriters/conceptors, but would keep things more consistent.

2 hours ago, MissK. said:

I like this, we do already have something similar with the two-heads and pygmies: the specific-breed description, then the standard 'dragon' description, then a third paragraph about two-head/pygmy traits. I do like the standard holiday-dragon description, it would be nice if it stayed *with* the addition of unique breed descriptions. 

I also like the idea of adding the breed-names in a 'Holiday (year)- breed name' format, so we still keep the 'holiday' classification (and they are still grouped together) but also acknowledge their specific breed name.