Nokturna

ANSWERED:Ads overlaying content

Hmm

Well restarting my phone has caused these new ads to show up. They take up about a quarter of my screen at the top of it. I can minimize it but it never stays minimized.

I still have the regular adds down at the bottom of my screen. Its these new top of the screen ads that are ****ing stupid.

@TJ09 please block these new ads from the site. The old ads are fine.

I've just started seeing this today, so far only on DC and DC forums. It's slowing my loading to an absolute crawl. Hopefully this can be resolved and done away with. I don't see the benefit of blocking site view and placing double the ads. Waugh. Might be avoiding DC mostly until there's a way to remove or ignore these pop-up ads. I'm fine with the old ads, which are still present on my end, but these new ones really need to go.

PC here, btw.

I’m on an iPad, using Safari, and this started up last night for me too. Very glad it isn’t intended, as it’s definitely compromising play. As @animatedrose said above, the old ads aren’t an issue, but a double whammy of those and these new slow-moving ones that block content are a problem.

I'm also now experiencing these double ads on a Sony phone running Android 9, using Chrome. They cover 1/4 of the page!

I think I'll switch to an ad-blocking browser for DC until the issue is fixed. I don't mind the regular ads at all (site needs to make money and they don't interfere with play) but the new ads are not fun.

Screenshot_20220109-112919.png

Screenshot_20220109-113046.png

Interesting, I wasn't experiencing this issue on my laptop on Chrome, but now it started being an issue on mobile (Android 8, still on Chrome). I get the dropdown ads but only on the forums, so far DC itself is the same as before. 

*fingers crossed*Things seem to be back to normal on my mobile! Thanks, @TJ09! :)

It's still happening for me on mobile as well. Android user on Chrome here. 

Screenshot_20220110-012034_Chrome.jpg

Yup. Spoke too soon. Just got them on the Raffle page, and, ironically, the 'buy a subscription to remove ads' page. :rolleyes:

The ads are back for me on my tablet, on both DC and the forums now. I tried clearing my history again with no affect. Thank you @TJ09 for looking into this!

And... yes, they're back at the forum now, too.

Ah now I'm getting them on DC as well (and they still persist here). Hopefully this can be fixed soon. 

As soon as that annoying popup appeared I activated my adblocker (on desktop) that I had previously disabled for DC. Google goes what it wants huh? 

I just started having this appear today on my phone. The ads we had before were fine. I don't need double ads. I'm using Chrome on Android 12. It shows up on the main site and the forum.

Edited by Jazeki

I just started getting this a couple of hours ago.  I'm using a computer with Edge browser.    ☹️

Happens to me on Chrome via Android on a Samsung phone.  I've noticed recently across multiple sites/apps, on Android, that adverts are getting drastically more intrusive the past week or so for me.  I suspect this is a google ads thing not a DC specific thing...

Update: Google apparently started an experiment to enable "Anchor Ads," which are the pinned ads people have been seeing. After running the "experiment" with some subset of people, it concluded that it increased ad revenue and launched it to everyone.

I have since reverted the change, so Anchor Ads should be once again off. Covering actual content (especially the biomes/AP) is not an acceptable tradeoff. The change will supposedly be fully applied within the next hour; let me know if you continue to see ads that overlap the page.

Probably increased ad revenue because of all the accidental clicks whenever one of these annoying things popped up right where someone was going to click, lol. I narrowly avoided it a few times. 

It seems to be fixed for me, both DC and the forums are back to normal. Thanks TJ! 

Yes, they have stopped appearing! Thank you, TJ!

4 hours ago, MissK. said:

Probably increased ad revenue because of all the accidental clicks whenever one of these annoying things popped up right where someone was going to click, lol. I narrowly avoided it a few times. 

I was just thinking the exact same thing.

Thank you! Those ads were really intrusive. 

They're gone for me as well. Yay! And agreed, I definitely accidentally clicked on them several times while trying to play. So annoying! Not a good tradeoff at all, what is Google thinking?