Nokturna

ANSWERED:Ads overlaying content

Hey, both on dragoncave and on here I get these advertisement popups suddenly. Slows the page down and makes cavehunting near impossible. I'm on chrome. Is this a problem from the page or from the browser? It's getting seriously annoying and the ads are extremely repetitive, even if i give the feedback saying I see them too often.

I don't have adblock or a subscription. The ads have always been visible, but they've never been a nuisance until today. Every time I open a page, either on the main site or here on the forum, I'm getting obnoxiously big, slow-moving ads popping up from the bottom of the screen. It definitely interferes with hunting in the biomes in a way that the ads never did before.

1 hour ago, UnicornMaiden said:

I don't have adblock or a subscription. The ads have always been visible, but they've never been a nuisance until today. Every time I open a page, either on the main site or here on the forum, I'm getting obnoxiously big, slow-moving ads popping up from the bottom of the screen. It definitely interferes with hunting in the biomes in a way that the ads never did before.

yes, exactly my problem as well. Genuinely takes away some fun of playing. Additionally, my wifi is already so bad and now the pages load even slower. 

Android/Chrome user here to report that, as of the last few days, the ads at the bottom of the AP have started blocking the last row of eggs - which is almost always where the new eggs show up.

Screenshot to show what I mean appended.

While it's theoretically possible to just scroll up or use the menu option to refresh the page, rather than pulling down from the top, both those options take significantly more time and therefore put mobile users at a marked disadvantage in picking up eggs from the AP, where refreshing and clicking quickly is the name of the game. I've been unable to snag anything that wasn't stale from the AP on mobile since this change occurred; it's functionally a game-breaker.

If it's possible to change how these ads are formatted, size down the eggs so they don't overlap with the tabbed ads where they pop up, or something, I suspect I'm not the only one whose continued use of the AP would be re-enabled. Especially with, say, the release of the Pink Sapphire, AP use isn't really optional for fully playing the game.

Screenshot_20220108-143930_Chrome.jpg

54 minutes ago, UnicornMaiden said:

I had the same issue, but it went away after I restarted my computer.

I just posted something in suggestions on this topic. Especially on the AP, it blocks eggs that disappear in a hurry and is functionally a game-breaker. There are probably ways the code of the site might be able to compensate, which is why I posted over there instead of here, but unless this is becoming a pay-to-play game, something's gotta give. 

In screenshot, notice the last row is blocked from view. This is on a recent Samsung Galaxy.

Screenshot_20220108-143930_Chrome.jpg

I tried restarting my computer, but it didn't make a difference. It doesn't seem to be happening on my tablet, but it happens every time on my laptop.

I just noticed this today. The ads on my screen used to be a simple little banner at the bottom of the page, and now there's also the obnoxiously bigger ad at the bottom of the screen that moves upwards each time I go to a new page and I have to keep pressing an arrow to make it go away.  I haven't thought about restarting my computer, I'll see if that makes it go away, but it's also happening on my tablet so I'm not sure if it'll work.

EDIT Restarting didn't work for me, and I don't want to resort to getting an ad blocker or something.

EDIT 2 Clearing my history seems to have fixed it on my tablet for now.

Edited by Rhikasa

Restarting phone didnt do anything. Deleting cookies removed it though (for now?). 

57 minutes ago, Rhikasa said:

I just noticed this today. The ads on my screen used to be a simple little banner at the bottom of the page, and now there's also the obnoxiously bigger ad at the bottom of the screen that moves upwards each time I go to a new page and I have to keep pressing an arrow to make it go away.  I haven't thought about restarting my computer, I'll see if that makes it go away, but it's also happening on my tablet so I'm not sure if it'll work.

EDIT Restarting didn't work for me, and I don't want to resort to getting an ad blocker or something.

EDIT 2 Clearing my history seems to have fixed it on my tablet for now.

It started up again for me on both the forums and DC.

The movement of the ad is really distracting. 

1 hour ago, PrincessLucy said:

It started up again for me on both the forums and DC.

For me at least, it's not the same issue here on the forums. There's a banner at the bottom of the page still, and although it is bigger than usual, there's not a pop-up ad at the bottom of the screen along with it unlike on DC. If the banners were simply made bigger, it wouldn't bother me much, but the pop-up that follows you when you scroll up and down a page really irks me.

Edited by Rhikasa

I have a subscription so I can't see these myself, but for what it's worth I'm not seeing this when logged out (I see ads, but the usual bottom-of-page type as always).  If deleting cookies and/or clearing history fixes it, even just temporarily, maybe it's a browser/cookie issue? 

I have blocker on my computer so I'm not seeing this, but I just went on my phone to look and yep, it's there. I've seen these kinds of ads other places too, but this is indeed first time on DC. I'd imagine it's annoying indeed for mobile users...

I'm also seeing these large pop-up ads at the bottom of the site pages on my laptop, which has never happened to me before on DC. 

Edit: getting an adblocker fixed it, clearing cache/cookies and restarting did not.

Edited by bonvoyage

Can confirm this only started happening today-ish. On desktop I'm getting them at the top of the page, where they overlay the page. Thankfully that's not interfering with the site navigation, because they're displacing the entire page. This is taking up valuable screen real estate and is particularly annoying because it animates into view only once you're already interacting with the page (I need to scroll down to trigger them).

I've left other sites that starting having these kinds of ads, so if there's something in the site owner's power to suppress them, I suggest doing that.

(They are also on the forum, for the record.)

Edited by pinkgothic

12 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

On desktop I'm getting them at the top of the page, where they overlay the page.

This is not what I'm seeing and definitely not intended. Google tends to run experiments from time-to-time, and it looks like they don't exactly tell me when they do (I haven't received any emails or anything related to this).

I'll look into it and see what I can find.

Going through the same problem as well.  But now the ads are coming from the top of the page as well now!🙄🙈

Screenshot_20220108-192812.thumb.png.e9ce90162a27ff5e326369a66124878d.png

=====================

Screenshot_20220108-192854.thumb.png.9d3f8c7237ee9a887541be86c23e4dd8.png

Edited by jerzeeshadow

5 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Google tends to run experiments from time-to-time, and it looks like they don't exactly tell me when they do (I haven't received any emails or anything related to this).

Thank you so much! 

14 hours ago, Nokturna said:

Restarting phone didnt do anything. Deleting cookies removed it though (for now?). 

edit: deleting cookies does not help any more, and they are back

Same thing for me too.  A huge pop up ad that is partially blocking the cave and is really slowing everything down. 

Note that there is an arrow button that will make it drop to the bottom of the screen. 

That said, maybe we can push for donations again (or let us know what amount you need to avoid these ads?). I don’t think I could cover it all, but I wouldn’t know unless I knew the amount lol. 

15 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Thanks!

The forum actually seems to be okay so far this morning on my phone.

The cave, the ads are popping up from the bottom and covering up the egg info.

Screenshot_20220109-104451.thumb.png.dd1e67f297f58a3c7b40ba766e23a013.png

Samsung internet on a G7 phone.

I'm seeing the same ads on The Hatching Club and one or two other websites now too. It's very annoying, but I guess the problem's not limited to Dragon Cave.

49 minutes ago, Library_gremlin said:

Note that there is an arrow button that will make it drop to the bottom of the screen. 

Yeah, but that doesn't help much if you're egg hunting and need to click quickly. Even if you're just viewing your scroll the ads are still intrusive.