TJ09

2021-12-25 - Happy Holidays!

YAY YAY YAY Pharos has gained NO POINTS overnight ! Our strategy is working !

I wonder if the frustration about the Team Competition would be less if 3rd Place would get +1 Point at least instead of Zero. The point system seems to be very punishing for last place.

I am Team Pharos and pretty much gave up caring about it after 3 days. I would've done the same if I was on the winning team anyways. I'm just not into the games that much :(

(They are nice and fun tho)

1 hour ago, Shakura Kazuki said:

I wonder if the frustration about the Team Competition would be less if 3rd Place would get +1 Point at least instead of Zero. The point system seems to be very punishing for last place.

I am Team Pharos and pretty much gave up caring about it after 3 days. I would've done the same if I was on the winning team anyways. I'm just not into the games that much :(

There's also the matter of having less time now. As I've said before I enjoy the games, but my holiday break is over so I've only managed to play a few rounds of snowball shuffle and some snow wars here and there in the past few days. Though to be fair my competitive spirit already died a while back after it was clear that my attempts to catch up were not really making a big impact on the whole.

Edited by MissK.

I do believe that the final placements for the teams are settled now. Congratulations, Team Umbra!

2 hours ago, Shakura Kazuki said:

I think having 0, 1 and 2 points was necessary only because of the double points in place for the game of the day. Otherwise, the points would have been 1, 2 and 3 and doubling those would be even more severe for the point differences.

However, I think the double point implementation itself was the big problem here. Maybe it would have been healthier if the game of the day were to give something like just +1 point for the winner. Then we could've also had points 1, 2 and 3, to have the extra point have even less of an impact ratio-wise, and avoid zero-point placements.

4 hours ago, Shakura Kazuki said:

Perhaps - but that only works better IF the double points system goes:

Let's say (for simplicity's sake) only Cocoa Rush matters

Take Team Mageia (my teams) ranking in the first three days:

Day 1: Silver +2 (double points)

Day 2: Silver +1

Day 3: Bronze +0

Total: 3 points

Now look at team Pharos:

Day 1: bronze +0

Day 2: bronze +0

Day 3: Silver +1

Total: 1 point

And team Umbra:

Day 1: gold +4 (double points)

Day 2: gold +2

Day 3: gold +2

Total: 8 points

Already Pharos and Mageia are at a disadvantage. Now, let's eliminate double points, and say we're using a system of Gold 3, silver 2, bronze 1

Mageia:

1. Silver +2

2. Silver +2

3. Bronze +1

Total: 5 points

Pharos:

1. Bronze +1

2. Bronze +1

3. Silver +2

Total: 4 points

Umbra:

1. Gold +3

2. Gold +3

3. Gold +3

Total: 9 points

Yes, umbra is still 'crushing' the competition, but 4 and 5 points versus 9 looks A LOT better than 1 and 3 versus 8.

Edited by ShorahNagi

Thank you to TJ09 and all the creators for the amazing and relaxing holiday event! I really appreciate the timing and pace of this event - such an otherwise busy time of year! Happy 2022 EVERYONE!

Am I alone in wishing we could move around the resources in Snow Wars?  Because there are some that do fit in with the aesthetic I was going for, but I'd prefer them placed in a different spot than the one they spanned randomly into.

Thanks for setting up the event either way, TJ.  Just wish there was a way for Pharos to pull ahead a bit, though I'm sure it's pretty hopeless at this point.  (I don't mind being in last place, but I'm still a bit taken aback over how far behind Pharos is in comparison to the other two teams.)

3 hours ago, Data_Girl_3 said:

Am I alone in wishing we could move around the resources in Snow Wars?  Because there are some that do fit in with the aesthetic I was going for, but I'd prefer them placed in a different spot than the one they spanned randomly into.

Many of us have wanted that for years. Some of the resources are really nice but it really sucks to not be able to move them, I remember in years past some people mentioned filling almost every available space with something just to force a resource to spawn in the only available spot (though it's not guarantee it will be the resource you want...) I really love the green crystal-thing, and I found that a few presents scattered around my wildlife looks great, being able to move them would make things so much easier. 

Last day, and sadly for me I've been very busy this time so I couldn't play the games as much as I would have liked to.

But I have two questions.

Once the remaining time reaches zero would we be able to see the medals we get in the last day?

Could we have an extra day... or at least extra hours, to edit our forts after the timer reaches zero? I mean, even if your fort is completely destroyed it doesn't matter because when you enter directly in the SW2 badge you see your fort without any damage, the thing is some of the spawning resources would still be there affecting the aesthetic of your fort. And if you have empty spaces let's say behind a wall and an unwanted resource spawned there you might have to move the wall, pick up the resource, place the wall back in its place... long story short sometimes it's difficult to edit your fort and I wouldn't like to mess it up. Please? Edit: besides, I would have to wait an entire year, or many years, to have the opportunity to edit my fort again.

Edited by Kegluneq

On 1/5/2022 at 6:52 PM, Firebirdwyvern said:

I decided to retire from hurling devastation at other people, some being my very own Team Umbra teammates. I also kind of did not like how my fort looked just so random, obviously it was meant for warfare, but had no rhyme or reason to it. So I made this!

https://dragcave.net/holidays18/Silenxia

I love daffodils and my idea is the two dragons are having a winter tea party. Just hope it doesn't freeze in the kettle or cups.

And that is how I learned that the dragon in the red jacket can be turned. ^_^

Can I say it's amusing in a frustrating way (or frustrating in an amusing way) to try to edit your fort while someone is actively bombing it? I tried to move Claudius 4 times before I succeeded, each time seeing more devastation to his surroundings, and now the poor dragon is enraged! 

On 1/4/2022 at 2:43 PM, Guillotine said:

Mana Alchemy is based on the old PC game named Alchemy! Don't know how playable it is these days, I remember playing it when I was twelve and I'm 31 now, but knowing the name should help finding playable versions.

THANK YOU, @Guillotine!  Having a heck of a time finding it so far but I'll keep looking.

8 hours ago, Kegluneq said:

the thing is some of the spawning resources would still be there affecting the aesthetic of your fort.

I'm a bit nervous about this myself, and I don't remember exactly how things went in the past. I know resources *show* in the fort after the end, plenty of people use them as decorations. But if I get my fort all pretty and perfect at, say, 10:30pm, will another resource spawn at 11pm and ruin the perfection? What if I wait until 11:30pm, would I be safe from new resources then? (And what about all the people who can't be there so close to the end to get rid of the last resources?)

3 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'm a bit nervous about this myself, and I don't remember exactly how things went in the past. I know resources *show* in the fort after the end, plenty of people use them as decorations. But if I get my fort all pretty and perfect at, say, 10:30pm, will another resource spawn at 11pm and ruin the perfection? What if I wait until 11:30pm, would I be safe from new resources then? (And what about all the people who can't be there so close to the end to get rid of the last resources?)

I'm wondering that too - though my current plan is edit my fort later and, once I get rid of resources- maybe place down some floor tiles on the empty spaces to prevent spawns.

Or maybe I'll just leave it and let the fort look "abandoned" because I usually don't look at it outside these events XD

Resources dont spawn until you visit. So if you clear them out then don't check back there won't be any 

This Team Umbra member is signing out now. It'll all be over when I get up in the morning!

It's been a pleasure. 🙂

I had a lovely time during this event. Thanks to everyone who made it possible. ^_^

Still putting the finishing touches on my snow fort and I really want to see if I can beat my top score in Snowball Shuffle before the end, but this was an awesome holiday event! I really really enjoy revisiting the old games and I really hope the Advent Calendar sticks around the next few years, I really like that it kind of gives more variety so there is more of a 'something for everyone' vibe. Chill relaxing decorating, 'battling' other user's forts, math/skill games, 'timed' games, kind of have it all here! 

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

Still putting the finishing touches on my snow fort and I really want to see if I can beat my top score in Snowball Shuffle before the end, but this was an awesome holiday event! I really really enjoy revisiting the old games and I really hope the Advent Calendar sticks around the next few years, I really like that it kind of gives more variety so there is more of a 'something for everyone' vibe. Chill relaxing decorating, 'battling' other user's forts, math/skill games, 'timed' games, kind of have it all here! 

Agreed. Though I still have to finish my own fort, days ago I decided to redo it but I've been really busy these days. I'll take some time in these last few hours of the event to finish it. I also hope this type of event comes back again. My favorite game is Tetris Puzzles and I don't completely understand Mana Alchemy. But I enjoy every game.

I'll ask here one last time: please bring back Snow Wars 1! alot

32 minutes ago, Kegluneq said:

Agreed. Though I still have to finish my own fort, days ago I decided to redo it but I've been really busy these days. I'll take some time in these last few hours of the event to finish it. I also hope this type of event comes back again. My favorite game is Tetris Puzzles and I don't completely understand Mana Alchemy. But I enjoy every game.

I'll ask here one last time: please bring back Snow Wars 1! alot

Yunno, I was just looking at my screenshots from Snow Wars 1 and realizing the items we had there that we don't have with Snow Wars 2. In my screenshots the walls are pretty different, there is a really nice dragon sculpture we don't have, and I seem to have a moat/river in one of my screenshots that I definitely can't make with the current 'pond' items. It would be so cool to have those older items to play with too. 

50 minutes ago, Niyaka said:

And with that, I name my snow fort complete for the winter. :) 

That looks awesome! Great job with the present placement, they look great there. 

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

Yunno, I was just looking at my screenshots from Snow Wars 1 and realizing the items we had there that we don't have with Snow Wars 2. In my screenshots the walls are pretty different, there is a really nice dragon sculpture we don't have, and I seem to have a moat/river in one of my screenshots that I definitely can't make with the current 'pond' items. It would be so cool to have those older items to play with too. 

Yes! I'd really love to replay it, mostly because of the sprites, some look similar to some of SW2, but SW1 sprites overall have a different feeling. I've always been fascinated with the igloo base and specifically the snow balls and rocks of SW1 look better (to me) than those of SW2.

Anyway, I could go all day but even tho I love my SW1 fort I have an "unnoficial" fort (saved in a screenshot somewhere in Photobucket) that I would really love to complete or make better.

Before the thread gets closed, I wanted to say how much I love the new dragon. It's so gorgeous. I can't wait to see all the beautiful pairings everyone comes up with.

I really liked having the event countdown displayed so clearly (it also gave me a rough idea of when this thread would close, sometimes I don't have the time or have my thoughts together before the thread is closed).

I didn't play all that much this year (sorry, Team Umbra! But I think you were okay without me! :lol: ), but it was fun seeing all the old games again, especially the Tetris puzzle and Cookie Decorating! I didn't redecorate anything but I did send out a few cookies, and get a few in return. Cocoa is also really cute. I hope to see everything back again next year!

I ended up really cutting it down to the wire with my screenshotting and getting in just a few more games (and I finally beat my high score on Cocoa Rush, just barely). I'm pretty happy with my snow fort and I had a great time this holiday season, thank you thank you thank you to all the spriters and helpers that made this all possible! :wub: