camelia2

Remove password from BSA option

Update: based on answers to this topic, request polished into "add a 'no password' as 3rd option for confirmation of BSAs" 

Confirmation screen still apears with the 'ok' button but it just lacks password field just as with Corporealise

*Given we allready have auto-abandon and is an willing-done action, the 'complaints will increase' argument is not standing

*If you pick 2nd option of 'write action name' account is not protected anyway, but the annoyance stays. Plus most never get anything hacked, use secure networks and know to protect a pass. Statistically is not a legit concern.

As it is, we have to confirm use of all BSA by password (or name). Except Celestial's corporealise.

What I'd like to see is the removal of this for any 'harmless' BSAs, just like it is for Celestials.

Why? It means extra clicks and, if you don't afford new devices, potential freeze or reloads. It is simply a waste of time and what triggered this req is Fertility.

When I have to fertilise 50+ dragons those extra 2 clicks become VERY annoying. But that is not even relevant.

The real question here is WHY we have to confirm each harmless BSA? Sure, in case of EQ, Bite and even Expunge is needed as you can loose/kill dragons so make extra sure, but for Incubate, Fertility, Ward or Influece, apart from the fact that you allready had to select a desired 'victim', even if mistaken there is no harm. Definetly not more than Corporealise that is excepted from confirmation...

Edited by camelia2
Polished request

Have to agree with 0x08 here.  If there was an *option* in account settings to turn off this extra step for BSAs, I could support that, but not just totally doing away with it. I *want* that extra step, personally.  Especially because we now have breed-variants dependent on BSAs, an accidental mistake can completely change what the variant *is*, so no I don't think they are 'harmless'. 

No support from me either for all these reasons. (I fertilised the wrong one just the other day - and that was even WITH having to enter it....)

The fact is, you DON'T get asked for Corporealise! So if an action with 30d cd is not asking for password, from the point of view of cds there is no argument (14d or less)

Now on the variations.... you allready selected that  (let's supose wrong) dragon. How is having to enter password preventing you from doing that wrong? (Legit Q, it never stopped me from messing a Canto....)

I agree with allowing us an option to turn it off completely. When I use a BSA en masse, I copy/paste anyways. There's not much of a difference between entering in my password, INCUBATE/etc., or nothing at all.

Everyone can keep using their password or the BSA action names, and the rest of us who might be a little riskier can forgo a password and action name altogether.

1 hour ago, camelia2 said:

The fact is, you DON'T get asked for Corporealise! So if an action with 30d cd is not asking for password, from the point of view of cds there is no argument (14d or less)

Now on the variations.... you allready selected that  (let's supose wrong) dragon. How is having to enter password preventing you from doing that wrong? (Legit Q, it never stopped me from messing a Canto....)

Corporealize only affects that Celestial, though. While I agree that it's strange to not have this confirmation-step for them, unlike most other BSAs they only affect themselves. That action isn't affecting anything for any other dragon, and maybe that's the difference. 

Being forced to slow down, even for just a second, can sometimes stop you from actually going through with the mistake. Of course mistakes still happen, and having that password/action confirmation isn't going to help everyone and may not seem 'worth it' in some people's eyes, but if you click the wrong dragon and then have to pause to type something that is at least giving a second or two to realize your mistake. If it was just 'click the dragon and it's immediately done', that would be worse, imo. 

I don't mind this if it's an option, but I would not want it just removed. Let us decide if we want to be risky or have that extra step. 

Edited by HeatherMarie

And with Corporealise you get a whole essay saying what it will do - time to think.

The only thing I would not be opposed to, would be an optional way to turn off having to type your password or action name, but only if there was still a confirmation screen like Celestials. Using an action on the wrong egg can absolutely have negative consequences, if I tried to incubate something else and accidentally clicked a Cantormaris that was going to hatch green I'd be pretty upset, or if an egg insta-hatched because of it when it wasn't supposed to. So there would absolutely need to be another screen after the one where you select which egg to use the action on, just in case you click the wrong one (which is a very easy mistake to make, especially on mobile). Is that what you are suggesting? I'm not sure if it would cut down on clicks that much, but I would be okay with it as long as it's optional and not the default. 

2 hours ago, MissK. said:

The only thing I would not be opposed to, would be an optional way to turn off having to type your password or action name, but only if there was still a confirmation screen like Celestials. Using an action on the wrong egg can absolutely have negative consequences, if I tried to incubate something else and accidentally clicked a Cantormaris that was going to hatch green I'd be pretty upset, or if an egg insta-hatched because of it when it wasn't supposed to. So there would absolutely need to be another screen after the one where you select which egg to use the action on, just in case you click the wrong one (which is a very easy mistake to make, especially on mobile). Is that what you are suggesting?

Yes. Definetly another screen (like it is for Celestials too) with the button still there just without the password box.

As an exclusive mobile user, I am very aware of wrong clicks while scrolling. Deginetly not insta-click

(For me, exactly 2 clicks...and sometimes a refresh... click box + select pass)

I'm not oposed in any way for this to be a 3rd OPTION in account if people want the extra trouble with pass :)

But I want to save myself (and others) some time and frustration

Edited by camelia2

While this has given the benefit of giving people pause to think about what they're doing, it was most likely put in place as a layer of protection in case someone else decided to mess with your BSAs on a device you hadn't logged out of, especially for public devices. For this reason I don't see it completely going away.

I am in support of an option to disable it. It does get rather bothersome if you're using multiple BSAs at once.

Support for an option to disable it because my mobile is a bit funny re: autofilling passwords - no support for removing the password check entirely - it should be optional.

HOWEVER if we do get an option to disable password checks it'd be nice to still get the 'are you sure?' popup just like we have now.  It'd allow for that brief double check that has personally kept me from BSAing the wrong bab several times lol

image.png.7e0b00c03db551106b2c27e4cc2bc45d.png

I support this as an option - ie, we can set it in account setting whether we want to have password confirmation, type-in-action-name confirmation, or nothing at all (as a third option)

Newbie here, this may seem like a dumb question, but I'm terrified of accidentally killing an egg/hatchling/dragon because of my clumsy fingers on mobile! If I click on the kill action and have the password to confirm enabled, it WILL ask me to enter my password before the action can be completed, right? -fretting-

53 minutes ago, Shinketsu_Karasu said:

Newbie here, this may seem like a dumb question, but I'm terrified of accidentally killing an egg/hatchling/dragon because of my clumsy fingers on mobile! If I click on the kill action and have the password to confirm enabled, it WILL ask me to enter my password before the action can be completed, right? -fretting-

If you have Actions security method set to password confirmation in account setting, it will ask for your password. If you have it set to action name only, it will ask you to type "Kill" (I believe). Either way, if you click "kill" it wouldn't directly kill your thing. Just to note, this thread is suggesting that it does.

That was also why I said I support if it's fully optional and a thing we can turn on/off easily. When I want to bulk abandon (like when I'm breeding my own dragons to see what interesting codes it throw or when I'm picking up eggs from AP to check their lineage and tossing them back when they're not what I want) or bulk kill things (for end of month zombie making for example, they dodge so many times that I usually need to do kill on >15 dragons to get my 5 slots filled), it gets annoying having to do password every time. Even typing in the action name would be annoying - in those cases I usually just want to get it over with. But for other times, such as what you're describing, I'd like it to remain the current way (needing a second confirmation), so it's best if it's flexible/we can turn it on and off easily and fully optional. If it's a setting that the user can choose to go with or not then the user who turn it on should understand the risk of them accidentally messing up (like killing an egg when they didn't mean to or incubating a wrong canto) when they do that, and it wouldn't affect anyone that don't want to use it.

Edited by Moriaty

8 hours ago, Moriaty said:

Either way, if you click "kill" it wouldn't directly kill your thing. Just to note, this thread is suggesting that it does.

Actually camelia2 said in response to my post that they would want an extra screen just like with corporealize. So a misclick would not kill your egg/hatchling, it would take you to another screen and would require an extra click for confirmation. Just not with a password/action name field.

Edited by MissK.

And I also noted is for BSAs. Kill is not a BSA! Please don't missinterpret!

Moreover, I specifically targeted harmless BSAs, not EQ or Bite (though as a 3rd option 'disable' I'm perfectly fine for it to be waved for all.) As yoi pointed, is an OPTION you take on wilingly and accepting the tiny risk it carries (experienced/confident player, surely not a newbee)

I would like it as an optional toggleable setting. Sometimes I want to YOLO Mass BSA things. Other times I'd want to be more careful, would be nice to have the option via account settings.

I was recently breeding my xenos with celestials last week and, while I was annoyed by the extra steps I had to take, I appreciate that they were there. Celestials only breed once a month, so it makes sense that it asks you "Are you sure?" I've had someone try to take over my accounts before. (not with DC) but with my e-mail and gamestop account. It was stopped in time and so I'm thankful for any extra step taken to protect users from someone having their dragons use an action you didn't authorize yourself.

for that reason I don't support this. 

I totally get the annoyance, but it's like that fussy parent that wants you to bundle up before going out into the snow, or putting on sunscreen before cannon-balling into the pool. It's looking out for you and your dragons.

Support only if it's a toggle.

I don't really care what everyone's reasons are for wanting to keep passwords or wanting to not have the confirmation. They're all valid, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter to me what reasons are which. I'm all for options that enhance player choice and personal experience. I don't support options that make that choice for you. Therefore if the option is "off by default and no way to change it," I do not support.

Further explaining why i don't care about most arguments for or against: If it's a toggle, you can keep the password option on if you like it and think it's a good idea. Or if you hate it and just want to do the action, you can turn off the password confirmation. At the end of the day, it's your scroll and you make that decision individually. I don't see anything bad from letting players choose how they want to play.

Edited by Skadi

11 minutes ago, Skadi said:

I'm all for options that enhance player choice and personal experience. I don't support options that make that choice for you.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. I know that when it comes to developers sometimes I see stuff like 'making everything optional isn't a good idea' or whatever, but from a player perspective I do think having more options can be a very helpful thing. As it stands, we *don't* have much option with this: We *must* either input a password or the action-name, every single time. I totally get the idea of trying to curb the 'I made a mistake!!' complaints and protecting users from themselves (and anyone who gets ahold of their account, in certain contexts), but that doesn't really apply to everyone. For example, I use a computer that no one else uses, ever; the computer is password-protected (old habits die hard); the only other person living here doesn't even know how to use my computer. I've played DC for a looong time, and yeah sometimes it gets frustrating to have to confirm every single time when I'm doing something like mass-Incubate or whatever. As long as it's an *option*, where the user has to *choose* to turn off the password/action confirmation step, I see no reason to not allow it. 

I would not support simply turning it off for everyone, but allowing a user to choose whether or not to have that 'safety-net' sounds reasonable to me.

19 hours ago, Syiren said:

I was recently breeding my xenos with celestials last week and, while I was annoyed by the extra steps I had to take, I appreciate that they were there. Celestials only breed once a month, so it makes sense that it asks you "Are you sure?" I've had someone try to take over my accounts before. (not with DC) but with my e-mail and gamestop account. It was stopped in time and so I'm thankful for any extra step taken to protect users from someone having their dragons use an action you didn't authorize yourself.

for that reason I don't support this. 

I totally get the annoyance, but it's like that fussy parent that wants you to bundle up before going out into the snow, or putting on sunscreen before cannon-balling into the pool. It's looking out for you and your dragons.

This, so much. I can just see the posts if this came in.

"I bred the wrong dragon, please fix it TJ, I forgot I'd turned the password thing off" and the like.

Whatever toggles are in there, people will slip up and then complain. Much better to protect us from ourselves.

When people post about accidental abandons, asking if they can get the egg back, they are told no and 'once it leaves your scroll that's it'. That's especially true of auto-abandons, people are told it's their responsibility to make sure they have the room before breeding. When users do other careless/forgetful things, like putting brand new eggs in hatcheries and then posting to complain when they die, they are given explanations and instructions so they know better in the future. 

I don't understand why giving users an *option* to deliberately turn off the password-confirmation would be so much worse than anything else we already experience. People will have to *choose* to turn it off, and if they turn it off and then forget and post complaints they will get the same types of responses as above. I really don't see a big difference. Give users more freedom and options, while also keeping that safety-net for anyone who wants it. What's so bad about that?

I don't really have an opinion on this, but I do agree that it's not going to be a severe issue if it's something you have to deliberately opt into. Certainly not any more than accidentally sending a potentially hard-to-replace egg into the AP, which is already part of the game.