Paradisiske

Allow 2 cbs of christmas and valentines dragons a year

Also supports. I won’t collect more than the current limit myself but having a flat 2 per year limit allow others to gather more without increasing the competition too much.

Supporting 2 CBs per year so maybe those of us who missed certain years can actually get our eggs and not have to hunt in the biomes so much!

This sounds great till after the first year and all the complaints "I didn't manage to get 2 of X breed and they're my favorite, now I'll won't have an even number and everyone else has more than me." Or new people wanting to know why they can only get 2 but they see others with 6.  Any increase would be good, yes, but I think people are failing to consider downsides.  Right now everyone  gets the same amount no matter how many years it takes, if this happens it quickly will change to who happens to be best at catching. It took me THREE years to get one pair of CB Hollys. Everyone complains about how hard it is to get certain breeds from the Halloween biome this will be the same.

38 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

This sounds great till after the first year and all the complaints "I didn't manage to get 2 of X breed and they're my favorite, now I'll won't have an even number and everyone else has more than me." Or new people wanting to know why they can only get 2 but they see others with 6.  Any increase would be good, yes, but I think people are failing to consider downsides.  Right now everyone  gets the same amount no matter how many years it takes, if this happens it quickly will change to who happens to be best at catching. It took me THREE years to get one pair of CB Hollys. Everyone complains about how hard it is to get certain breeds from the Halloween biome this will be the same.

It will probably be a bit of a scramble at first, yes, but just like with hollies (which now also sit around) it will even itself out. And, honestly, the fact that it will not be one breed that will suddenly be desired while the others all block the biome should be considerably better, since the eggs will at least be moving. Part of the issue with hollies was that they eventually ended up "locked" behind other breeds. I think the only thing necessary to keep things from getting too stressful would be to just have a constant supply of eggs, not have them run out after a bit like on Halloween. But either way it will never really be as bad as the Halloween scramble as long as there is some limit in place. If I'm not mistaken you would rather have no limits at all, how will that be any less of a frantic hunt?

As for complaints about people having uneven numbers, I could be wrong of course, but I don't really see it being an issue. I ended up with uneven genders on my Halloweens sometimes, and couldn't fix that until next year...oh well. Most people seem to care more about being able to work on their own lineages etc, not about some competition with other users and who has more of what. I haven't exactly seen a bunch of complaints from people who only got 8 Halloweens while others have 20 lol. And if someone really doesn't want to have an uneven number, they can always trade/abandon/gift their extra, or release the adult. 

I'm not saying there aren't some potential downsides, but I wouldn't be so certain that things will go as you describe either. 

Edited by MissK.

Agree with @MissK.. If this is implemented, of course the first year or two will be a bit of a scramble, the exact same way everyone was scrambling like crazy when the holiday-biome was first introduced (and, further back, the same way people scrambled when we could suddenly pick up more than 2 of a holiday breed *period*, cb or bred). Any sort of change like that will come with a period of adjustment and a bit of chaos, that's been true for every major DC change. 

But I don't think this can be compared to Hollys. Hollys were at one point the most rare breed in the entire *game* and for a long time very very few active players actually had any CB Hollys at all. So of course when the holiday biome started appearing each year there were a *ton* more people who didn't have any CB Hollys at all (I still don't, actually). That's just not going to compare to an all-breed limit raise. Also, I think this is one of those things where we could talk about *possible* downsides all day long, but we don't really know how it will play out. I haven't seen anything when it comes to Halloweens, which have *no* limits, that would suggest increasing the holiday/v-day limits a little would lead to huge amounts of perceived inequality and frustration. As long as it's made very simple and clear on the breed-limits page that there is a cap of 2 CBs of each breed each year, I don't really see this being much more of an issue than what we already have (with some people missing out on new-holiday drops or not being able to get everything they want in one season, etc). 

People miss stuff already in even the more laid-back releases, this being added wouldn't change much of that and would probably lead to a healthier biome/AP bc caveborn eggs can actually be picked up and things would move more.

I like the idea of being able to pick up 2 CBs each year. It's simple, easy to understand, would help people with lineage building, and would help the Holiday biome move.

Support!  I'm content with my 2 CBs per breed, but I agree with what's been said about this helping make obtaining specific CBs actually easier in a lot of cases by making the biome move.

8 hours ago, Ponystar17 said:

obtaining specific CBs actually easier in a lot of cases by making the biome move.

To me, this right here is the biggest benefit to the increased CB limit.

Is there going to be a scramble for certain CB breeds? Yes.

However, these scrambles can not happen if the eggs are never seen. Even if they don't keep the eggs, it still allows players to pick them up to keep things moving (look at players who currently clean the AP when we end up with various one breed walls).

Supporting this as well. I can only see good sides to this personally.

The biggest being the Aegis. With the current limits one can either have (as CB obviously): two normal ones, two enraged ones, or one normal and one enraged.

In fact, I get it if someone doesn't feel like building lineage with enraged sprite, given the requirements of getting one.

Another would be Glystere. I personally don't feel like changing the sprite with the Redecorate BSA, since I don't really see how much effect it has to lineages. But if the sprite in question is going to have more impact to the lineages, this would offer a way to actually continue them without limiting one with certain sprites with ones' Glysteres. I mean, we already need to actually find Snow Angels that match our own scroll.

This is just personal reasoning for myself, but I usually want to also freeze CBs whenever it is possible for my scroll goals. It's way I roll really to make as few people upset as I can since people can be little touchy about their projects. I often feel little bad about freezing the current Holiday dragons, because 2nd gen is the closest thing I can get to with the freezes and breeder was probably hoping I'd continue the lineage somehow.

This could also bring more breeding opportunities to people and consider more lineage projects, alleviating the pressure people have about breeding their CBs to continue some lineages that just keep accumulating currently. Not to mention the cases of both CB holidays plainly refusing the mate, resulting to possibly finding new mate that might even be rare.

Agreed. If coding it for 2 per year would be a pain, I'd even be for altogether removing the restrictions, but perhaps gradually (4, then if TJ feels like it didn't have bad effect this year, next year raise it to 6 or 8). Surely changing the total limit is not hard considering it was done for GoNs from 2 to 3 so it wouldn't even need any new kind of coding.

The 2 limit per only makes sense for first year of release, imo. Otherwise it just dampens the gifting spirit.

Edited by Alwerien

It's far too late for him to reprogramme this for 2021.

12 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It's far too late for him to reprogramme this for 2021.

I guess you were right. But it is still possible for the 2022 valentines dragons right?

I wish I had more than two CB Garlands. They look gorgeous with everything, and there are many pairings I want, especially with how many releases we get during the year. But I only have two CBs. Hopefully limits will be raised.

This would benefit me since I keep one of my Aegis enraged, but I worry new users wouldn't be able to get all the older breeds if there was suddenly a ton of competition for them in the Holiday biome. Especially on Christmas, when the focus is on giving and sharing instead of taking. I'd hate to alienate new users on Christmas because it might benefit me to have extra CBs, that seems horribly selfish and this isn't the season for selfishness.

Having older users competing for only two eggs from older breeds a year in the biomes would not do much to harm newer users and would do a lot to help keep the biomes from stagnating later on in the week, which helps uncover the breeds that are hardest to get. Halloween is so chaotic because there's no cap, the cap existing would keep it from reaching that level after the first day or so.

If anything it'd help new players. As someone trying to finish my CB collection, it's very hard to do so when the biome never moves. I am locked on the eggs that appear most and can't get the newer eggs that I missed.

Edited by Skadi

Yeah, like, I got all my missing CBs year one of the reintroduction because the biomes moved, and I'd been missing everything before Solstices. New players aren't getting that benefit, and it's making it harder to get higher-demand breeds.

Agree with others, I really don't think such a small increase would really hurt newer players. For example, I've been around long enough to remember when Hollys were the rarest thing in the whole game (not just CB, but any!). And yet this season I grabbed a Holly in the holiday biome ridiculously easily (never got any CBs originally). The holiday biome has been around for multiple years and at this point it looks like the biggest issue with it isn't competition but simply *not moving* because older breeds just sit there because no one *can* pick them up. That would definitely be helped with a suggestion like this. 

Also, simply becoming available doesn't mean that every older player would take full advantage of the increase. Speaking for myself, there are some holiday sprites that I love and use in a lot of lineages. I would definitely grab more CBs of them if it were available. But there are other sprites that I simply don't care for as much. Even if I could have more those sprites wouldn't be worth the extra eggslot for me. I imagine it's the same with a lot of other older players; they would grab the extra pair of their favorites but not max out every single breed.

The way I see it, during Halloween you might be looking for 7 or 8 CBs in a year of a particular breed you like (however many you can hold at once), but if the limit is two, then people are hunting for a quarter as many eggs, thus quartering the total demand for that egg. In other words, it's not going to be as bad as Halloween rushes. I really like this idea, and it could probably be done just with something like "only 2 CBs of this breed with a caught date in this year are allowed on the scroll"? I don't know how hard it would be to program, though.