0x08

Trading Hub – Protection for eggs and hatchlings in public trades

With regards to eggs:

• These is no way to stop an egg from getting views aside from fogging it.
  • A White Dragon's Ward does protect from sickness, but it only lasts 6 hours, can only be done once per egg and does not stop views.
  • It is not possible to fog an egg if it's up for trade.

With regards to hatchlings:

• The only way to stop a hatchling from getting views is through a Bolt Dragon's Stun, but similarly to Ward, it only lasts 48 hours and can only be done once per hatchling.
  • It is not possible to fog a hatchling if it's up for trade.

The current state of the Trading Hub makes it easy for griefers to be disruptive by adding traders' scrolls to multiple hatcheries, which results in sick or dead creatures if left unchecked.

Given the above, I ask that some form of protection for creatures in the Trading Hub be implemented.

Automatic suspension of views for creatures that are up for trade sounds like the most straightforward and unobtrusive way to do it. Individual traders could also choose whether to have the "stop" active or not; it would be totally optional and apply only to hub (public) trades.

Here is a mockup.

Spoiler

mockup.thumb.png.b367322b4f90b49bb66be35899cdfee8.png

The added section states:

Trade protection – Suspend views for this trade – The eggs or hatchlings in this trade will not receive views or clicks if this option is checked.

Feel free to share your thoughts and objections about this suggestion. :)

Edited by 0x08

I've asked for this before. Support. The ONLY issue I can see is if people put things in trade JUST to keep them from getting views; maybe if implemented, a trade could only be up there for 24 hours, say ? After that you'd have to repost it ?

(Stun lasts 48 hours, I think, BTW)

4 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The ONLY issue I can see is if people put things in trade JUST to keep them from getting views; maybe if implemented, a trade could only be up there for 24 hours, say ? After that you'd have to repost it ?

While I can't imagine a situation where forcing a creature to not get views for extended periods of time would not be detrimental to the player, I suppose temporary trades would work to prevent such things from happening.

4 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

(Stun lasts 48 hours, I think, BTW)

You are correct! I'll fix OP...

Edited by 0x08

Using holding a protected trade as a way to avoid views has been raised as an issue before, was all. Maybe it would help with neglecting ?

Support (with whatever caveats/restrictions necessary of course). I've had plenty of eggs and hatchlings get sick from trade and I'd like to prevent that.

If you hide your scroll, that alone can save a lot of grief if you know you're being targeted. There's only a few hatcheries that accept individual codes and in my experience those hatcheries aren't enough to get the egg sick, and would require a lot more time for them to hatch or even for them to be ER. Tools have already been provided to prevent the issue that has been presented. 

I'm definitely against time limits for trades. We already have time limits that exist in the form of hatching/aging. And I don't see this being at all useful for NDs lol just fog the egg. 

I am very neutral to this suggestion... I don't think sickness is an issue if you hide your scroll like I said. (Also I'd rather sickness just go away lol) Though hatching earlier than you intended can definitely be a thing, and the only protective measure that in my experience would be beneficial from this. 

Edited by schenanigans

I would support this if it's optional. 

Afaik it helps to make nds by incubating the egg and then putting it in a trade where it gains views. 

Make this optional so traders can protect their eggs and nd makers can make their nds. 

Just a simple little check box asking do you want to prevent this trade from gaining views.

9 minutes ago, schenanigans said:

I don't think sickness is an issue if you hide your scroll like I said. Though hatching earlier than you intended can definitely be a thing, and the only protective measure that in my experience would be beneficial from this. 

Sadly it certainly is an issue if you have something good up for trade. That way people in the hub can see the code and then blitz it. Especially if you decline their offer. Been there..... 

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

people in the hub can see the code and then blitz it. Especially if you decline their offer. Been there..... 

Also been there, very recently. It's what "inspired" me to make the suggestion! Thankfully nothing died or got sick, partly because...

1 hour ago, schenanigans said:

If you hide your scroll, that alone can save a lot of grief if you know you're being targeted.

... I did this in time. ;)

I did have to take down my trade and lose the ability to trade for several hours, which isn't great. My suggestion is supposed to help prevent that sort of thing from happening.

However...

I don't think sickness is an issue if you hide your scroll like I said.

Though hatching earlier than you intended can definitely be a thing, and the only protective measure that in my experience would be beneficial from this. 

Now I wonder what the true extent of the hatching-too-soon problem is, and if it's bad enough to warrant a new feature/mechanic... 🤔

Forgot this:

1 hour ago, Paradisiske said:

Just a simple little check box asking do you want to prevent this trade from gaining views.

In the mockup in OP I portrayed the feature as a checkbox. ;)

My scrollname and forum name are different, so that cuts down on a lot of targeting. However, I'd rather have something in place so that I don't have to resort to hiding my scroll--especially when having it visible is a "necessity" for things like breeding requests or activities (like Secret Santa). Not that I do it much anyway. 

Hiding your scroll absolutely is *not* enough to protect from targeted viewbombing attacks. People seem to forget that much viewbombing doesn't even happen in hatcheries to begin with, as long as someone knows the egg's url/code they can easily use any of dozens of auto-refresher sites (and really, the 15/1 view-limitation rarely helps with that, I've personally viewbombed my own eggs giving nearly a thousand views all by myself...)  And this suggestion is for trades, which means hiding the scroll has absolutely no effect at all, since the growing dragons are *in public trades* able to be viewed by anyone. 

Much support, always support. There has been threads for this before but I can't seem to find them to post links.

I completely forgot about autorefreshers. Yeeeah... there's no protecting from that if your creature's code becomes known. :unsure:

30 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

There has been threads for this before but I can't seem to find them to post links.

I made sure to check this subforum for similar threads before I posted, but couldn't find any.

Total support! I would like it to be optional, but it is something that we very much need. The trolls are always with us. :(

Support, as long as restricting views is optional. Even if it's not viewbombing to the point of killing something, I've had people add my stuff to hatcheries and make them hatch or even grow up, messing up my trades. But while something like this is sorely needed, it should indeed be up to the user to enable it or not. For example a big part of making NDs relies on incubating and then teleporting to add an extra day, which basically gives you only seconds to save the egg; not ideal to have to make a new teleport on the spot.

The view stopping would absolutely be optional. I thought I had specified it well enough in OP, but I'll repeat it for the sake of clarity. ;)

It was clear already, at least for me, sorry if I was misunderstood. I just wanted to add it to my post because it's not uncommon for changes to be implemented in different ways than what was originally suggested. It probably won't make much of a difference if TJ makes up his mind, but who knows, I'd rather make it clear that having it be optional is pretty important. 

17 minutes ago, MissK. said:

I'd rather make it clear that having it be optional is pretty important. 

We're on the same page then! No harm, no foul. :)

I'm only aware of 2 DC specific* auto refreshers personally and of those, one of them only allows ER egg/hatchling codes to be input for it to even work. Granted, you only need one AR to blast an egg. If you're concerned about a trade being targeted, hiding your scroll absolutely will work. Again, there's only a few hatcheries that allow egg codes in them and none of them are high traffic. If your scroll is hidden, it is harder for them to get the UVs needed to blast an egg to make it sick. (And honestly I'd rather just sickness go away!!) Claiming that "oh there's absolutely nothing we can do to combat this!" is just... not correct? I'll concede that hiding your scroll can be inconvenient, but it's a valuable tool for preventing large amounts of views, unwanted eyes, or viewbombings - and I say this as someone who is very much aware and feels the effects of all of these things. ;)

I agree having your egg hatch when you don't want it to while it is in trades is very annoying, though. But I'm also very iffy on the "optional" aspect as everything that goes through suggestions nowadays gets the "make it a toggle!" treatment and I actually feel that degrades the value of these suggestions (we really don't want 50 billion toggleable options in our settings, as much as everyone keeps asking for them...). Not trying to target you, BringsTheSnow (you just happened to reply as I was typing this lol) but a good example of what I am referring to. If this WASN'T optional, how would you feel about this suggestion? 

I feel that public trades posted in the hub specifically would be the trades that get the no views treatment, while private 2 ways and transfers would be free game. This wouldn't hinder ND making and makes sense, as it's the public trades that are in the spotlight. 

Edited by schenanigans

5 minutes ago, schenanigans said:

If this WASN'T optional, how would you feel about this suggestion? 

I feel that public trades posted in the hub specifically would be the trades that get the no views treatment, while private 2 ways and transfers would be free game. This wouldn't hinder ND making and makes sense, as it's the public trades that are in the spotlight. 

If it wasn't optional then I wouldn't support it.

I like your suggestion of hub trades get no views but the other trades do.

I'm fine with either solution. 

6 minutes ago, schenanigans said:

If you're concerned about a trade being targeted, hiding your scroll absolutely will work. Again, there's only a few hatcheries that allow egg codes in them and none of them are high traffic.

Depends on your scenario. I had a couple of attempts to target very low time Halloween trades. There, the aim wasn't to get the trades sick but to grow them up before the trades could go through. My scroll was hidden throughout, but any traffic was a problem due to how low time the trades were, so even one hatchery was one too many.

I support the suggestion as long as it's optional; as others have noted, putting a hard "no views on things in trades ever" would ruin ND making.

2 minutes ago, AGYK said:

Depends on your scenario. I had a couple of attempts to target very low time Halloween trades. There, the aim wasn't to get the trades sick but to grow them up before the trades could go through. My scroll was hidden throughout, but any traffic was a problem due to how low time the trades were, so even one hatchery was one too many.

I support the suggestion as long as it's optional; as others have noted, putting a hard "no views on things in trades ever" would ruin ND making.

Yes, and this is the aspect I am talking about that makes me okay with this suggestion. My statement about hiding the scroll is specifically about viewbombing for sickness. 

22 minutes ago, schenanigans said:

I can get behind this. I was only thinking about hub trades when I made OP and totally forgot about private transfers, oops.

2 hours ago, schenanigans said:

I'm only aware of 2 DC specific* auto refreshers personally and of those, one of them only allows ER egg/hatchling codes to be input for it to even work. Granted, you only need one AR to blast an egg. If you're concerned about a trade being targeted, hiding your scroll absolutely will work. Again, there's only a few hatcheries that allow egg codes in them and none of them are high traffic. If your scroll is hidden, it is harder for them to get the UVs needed to blast an egg to make it sick. (And honestly I'd rather just sickness go away!!) Claiming that "oh there's absolutely nothing we can do to combat this!" is just... not correct? I'll concede that hiding your scroll can be inconvenient, but it's a valuable tool for preventing large amounts of views, unwanted eyes, or viewbombings - and I say this as someone who is very much aware and feels the effects of all of these things. ;)

I'm sorry, this is just simply untrue. Hiding your scroll doesn't help if *anyone* has the code. I already stated that hatcheries are not the only issue here: A 2-second Google search for 'url auto refresher' will give dozens of different non-hatchery sites to use if you know the url of the dragon (which, if it's a public trade, is out there for anyone to see). You don't need a hatchery, don't need to be logged into DC, in order to viewbomb. And hiding your scroll only makes the *scroll* invisible, it doesn't make all view-pages invisible.  (For reference, I *just* tested it, my scroll is hidden as I post this and I can still add the urls of my eggs into auto-refresher sites and give them views that way.) (And, as I already mentioned, the whole UV-cap thing doesn't actually help unless the dragon in question has very few stats at all. I can easily make an egg sick on my own with an auto-refresher because it already has a few dozen UVs.)

Yes, many people want sickness to just be done away with altogether, but acting like this isn't an issue just because you would rather a more extreme suggestion be implemented isn't very productive. TJ has already shot down the idea of removing sickness, many times, over the years. Asking for something to be implemented that would at least *help* while keeping the sickness mechanic is a good idea. 

Edited by HeatherMarie