HeatherMarie

Fix inconsistencies in breed-sort (Terrae, Alt Blacks)

I posted about this in the Help section long ago and eventually was told it's deliberate, so this is now a request to stop sorting things in such odd/unintuitive ways when dealing with breed sort. Specifically Terrae and Alt Blacks, though it's possible there are more I don't realize.

In breed-sort, breeds are sorted alphabetically by their encyclopedia name, and within each breed it's sorted as adults then frozen hatchlings then eggs/growing-things. Except for Terrae and Alt Blacks. Terrae apparently sort by their *egg* sprite, which.... What?? Terrae have three different egg sprites, that all hatch into the exact same hatchling and adult sprites, so it's impossible to even tell what egg-sprite an adult/hatchie used to be, and yet for some totally weird reason they sort according to egg sprite. Which means frozen hatchlings will sort in-between adults, depending on some old info about egg sprite that us users can't even know or see. 

Alt Blacks sort differently as well, apparently they sort based on their hatchie-sprite. Which means we have another case of frozen hatchlings sorting differently than the rest of the breeds, with frozen 'sitting' alts sorting between two groups of adult alts and frozen 'curled' alts sorting at the bottom of the breed the way you'd actually expect. Again, the adults look the same regardless of what type of hatchie they were, there is no way to even know what type of hatchie an adult was unless you deliberately write down that sort of info, which makes such sorting unintuitive and seem like a bug. (This one I'm less annoyed with than the Terraes, but still would like to see changed to match the rest of breed-sort.)

Request: Make breed-sort consistent among all breeds, following the normal sorting of adult -> frozen hatchies -> growing things. 

(Side note, some breeds have different variants and sort accordingly, with frozen hatchlings of that variant sorting above adults of a different variant (like Cantors), this is not requesting to change that since that makes visual and intuitive sense.)

(linking to my old Help-thread which has some screenshots: https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/181009-dragon-stages-sorting-strange-under-temporary-breed-sort/?tab=comments#comment-9585511)

Edited by HeatherMarie

My pet peeve are the spirit ward dragons.  I posted about this back in September in the help section with nary a reply. https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/189363-temporary-breed-sort-error-spirit-ward/  Which makes me wonder if it is indeed a bug or not with the sound of silence.  It seems most illogical for more recent spirit wards, sometime between March 2020 to May 2020 onward, to sort above dragons from 2015.  The three out of order spirit wards are from the top June 21, 2021; September 13, 2021; and May 14, 2020 which makes even less sense.

@Dracaena  Hmm, I just checked and all my spirit wards sort correctly by date with breed sort.  My most recent Spirit Ward grew up in 2018 though, so maybe it's only more recent ones that sort strangely? That one definitely seems like a bug though, instead of purposeful sorting based on something unintuitive. 

Actually I think I would prefer if the terra sprites got updated to match their egg sprites. Just the green pattern on their backs to match the pattern on the eggshell.

1 hour ago, Paradisiske said:

Actually I think I would prefer if the terra sprites got updated to match their egg sprites. Just the green pattern on their backs to match the pattern on the eggshell.

That would be kind of cool, but I think it is probably a topic for a different suggestion thread. :)