0x08

Prevent named hatchlings from being abandoned

Yeah, it'd be very nice for naming to serve as accidental abandonment protection.

Huh.  That got removed??  I also swear that used to be a thing.

Support for the reinstatement of it, I don't see why it should have been disabled instead of simply altering the wording to make it clear that you needed to unnamed the hatchling first...

Considering I'm always worried I'll accidentally hit abandon instead of rename or hide? Yeah. This would be a nice fail-safe.

+1 support from me. (y)

Support.

I abandoned a named hatching once a year or two ago on accident. I always make sure to name things that I don't want to accidentally trade during the holiday rushes, so I was confused why the same didn't prevent abandoning. /:

I forgot this allready here and made a new thread myself. That's how much it bothers me 😅

So a fresh bump since is holiday again and almost did abandon one again

Edited by camelia2

Good to know I'm not crazy either!  Over Valentines, I named the hatchlings from my scroll's rosebud wall that I wanted to be sure I didn't accidentally abandon.  Yet the abandon function was available for them.  I was so confused.  I had thought naming protected them!  The only other option to really protect them was to fog them (I don't like using the teleport, since it clutters my legitimate trades).  But then they don't show up in most hatcheries, making it harder to monitor how much time is left, and accidentally starving them.  

Yes, I had a handful of cases where I tried to abandon a hatchling but couldn't, and it took me forever to figure out it was because the hatchling was named.  But I'll always prefer making it harder to accidentally abandon something.  Please bring this back!

+1 support for this. Not sure why it was changed, honestly. Especially during holidays when I have a large number of growing things I give them names to prevent me from accidentally teleporting the wrong one. It would be nice to have this failsafe in place for abandoning as well. 

Still thinking about this. I have had all of my project hatchlings named this Halloween since I planned on sending out a lot of teleports with freebies, but I know that I'll have to grab > hatch > abandon things more as the AP wall ticks down  and everyone becomes scroll locked with hatchlings over the next week, and I'm worried about clicking on the wrong link and accidentally abandoning something I wanted to keep...

Edited by 11th

I think this is an excellent idea and certainly a much better “safety measure” than making us enter the password again and again. Because I’ve definitely abandoned hatchies (and eggs but that’s another problem) before that I wanted to keep and I’m so used to the password that it didn’t stop me at all.

Just make the message excessively clear so no one is confused or has reason to complain. “You must remove the name before you can abandon this hatchling” and no one has to wonder. 

Edit: I also have to wonder why anyone would argue against this. Unless you regularly abandon hordes of named hatchlings this won’t have any effect on your gameplay. 

Edited by blah

Why would someone want to abandon a named hatchling? Support, this is a good way to prevent someone absent-mindedly abandoning something they intended to keep.

I had no idea that you could abandon a named hatchling and am really surprised, having just checked the available actions on one of mine. Fully support the proposal for this to be changed to be consistent with teleport restrictions.

Also had no idea that removing a name was possible. The only choice I see is to rename, but you can't name it with its code. So, how do you remove a name?

EDIT:  Brainstorm!  Worked it out - in rename, simply delete the old name and click OK.  The name is crossed out.  That's really useful to know :D

Edited by LadyMadonna

It's holiday time again! Still naming important hatchlings and wishing that it also prevented abandoning. orz

More support for reinstating this functionality. I always liked having names as an extra safeguard against abandoning dragons accidentally.

support again! I do occasionally abandon named hatchlings (eg, when I have a list of hatchlings lined up for freezing (I write down the time my freezing slot comes back as names to the hatchie so that I know when to freeze)), BUT I am perfectly content with one extra step before abandoning if I truly want the hatchling gone. And if it can't be teleported, I honestly don't see why it can be abandoned 

Edited by Moriaty